BART Train Derailment Near Concord Causing Major Delays

February 21, 2014 18:56 pm · 42 comments

An out-of-service BART train has derailed on the Pittsburg-Bay Point line this evening, halting service beyond Pleasant Hill, according to a BART spokeswoman. The derailment was reported around 6:20 p.m., BART spokeswoman Alicia Trost said.

The train, which was empty and headed back to the Concord yard, is now blocking the rails in both directions between Pleasant Hill and Concord, Trost said. BART officials are working to establish a bus bridge for stations beyond Pleasant Hill, Trost said. It is unclear at this time if the train operator was injured, but there were no passenger injuries in the incident, Trost said.

1 J. February 21, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Too bad they can’t figure out those cross-over tracks.

2 Kelly February 21, 2014 at 7:01 PM

The helicopters are back.its gonna be a fun nite at the trailer park!

3 Garion February 21, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I live right at the Concord station, heard the noise, came here and now there are slow and low helicopters. Didn’t sound like I would have expected a de-railment to sound. Not nearly as loud as I thought it would be.

4 sandy February 21, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Thank goodness for clay cord. I’m on the train that just got o walnut creek and they are just telling us there is a severely disabled train. Obviously pleasant hill is our last stop. Hope everyone gets home OK tonight

5 Krystle February 21, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Sure it’s the news people I hear a helicopter to and I’m off of west st

6 j February 21, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Near riots at th Pleasant Hill station. Busses packed and charging riders. Police need to get over there.

7 Lizzy February 21, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Im not surprised. I ride the train everyday and the stretch of track between the concord yard and the concord station is very unstable. We are ofted advised to hold on by the operator.

8 Pheaps. February 21, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Lots of helicopter noise. TV Stations perhaps. Glad it was not filled with passengers.

9 Nick February 21, 2014 at 7:11 PM

3 Heli’s above concord station now, very loud and low above my house 3 blocks away.

I knew I could come here and figure it out!

10 anon February 21, 2014 at 7:14 PM

thank you for this information.there are three helecoptors low overhead amd I was bith wondering and frightened it was a police search. this site and the information posted is such a blessing!

11 Coggins Square February 21, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Another train derailed in that exact same area about 3 years ago!!

12 Mom2Boys February 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM

I live a half a block away from BART. There are 4 helicopters flying over head very low. My kids are trying to go to bed…so much for that!

13 Garion February 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Yeah those helos are right over my house. Time to turn up the music :)

14 Joe Blow February 21, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Those helicopters have been circling for about an hour now for a non story! If the train had gone off the track and squashed a dozen people,,sure,,,but a couple wheels went off the track and it sounds like Nam out there!!! Really????? Go home!!!!

15 Concord Dad February 21, 2014 at 7:26 PM

It was at a low speed. Nobody was hurt thankfully. Same spot at the derailment a few years back!

16 sing that song February 21, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Was just at n.concord station, and it looks like the END OF THE WORLD!! Is it a FULL MOON? -alot of WEIRDOS, and confusion. Most of all an safe train system! CMON BART LETS GET IT BACK ON TRACK!!!!

17 Trailer Chick February 21, 2014 at 7:33 PM

That ‘splains the copters…again. Thanks for the info.

18 j February 21, 2014 at 7:38 PM

At concord now. Train is severly buckled and hanging off tracks. Almost went off the overpass. Tracks must be shredded on both directions. Not pretty.

19 anon February 21, 2014 at 7:39 PM

We now know why that train was out of service.

20 Noflow February 21, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Another BART adventure. No wonder I prefer to drive, even if I sit in stop-start traffic for 2 hours. At least I haven’t been exposed to measles lately….

21 Trailer Chick February 21, 2014 at 7:40 PM

It occurs to me that the Green Valley (aka Concord) fault runs right through here. May explain unstable tracks.

22 ale February 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM

My train was between pleasant hill and concord when it happened.

23 Noflow February 21, 2014 at 7:41 PM

@ Garion

Google Wilhelm Richard Wagner’s Flight of the Valkyries

The music of choice.

24 Jimstrixie February 21, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I’m about 3 blocks from the Concord Bart station. does anyone know approx where it derailed? Is it closer to the yard, police station or Bart station? Thx

25 Did #7 say they are charging riders...??? February 21, 2014 at 7:53 PM

for bus ride to their destination. ???
…if so, this is an A B O M I N A T I O N..!!.

26 Garion February 21, 2014 at 7:53 PM

@Noflow

The thought had occured to me briefly, but then i had another beer and forgot about it. Just another Friday in Concord :)

27 Reality Slap February 21, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Got this message from my niece about 30 minutes ago :Holy smokes! We just saw a concord BART train almost come off the tracks!! The train is coiled up like an accordion and engine car is sitting on the edge of the overpass. Crazy!

28 MONSTER JAM February 21, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Trains better be running tomorrow so I can get to Monster Jam in Oakland tomorrow!!! Go Grave Digger!!!!!

29 anon February 21, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I was a afraid there was a mass murderer on the loose when I heard all those copters! Seriously? Do we really need 3 or 4 helicopters? Can’t they share feed? This activity will probably go on at least until the cranes remove the car from the tracks sometime tonight. Good luck sleeping.

30 Elwood February 21, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Proving once again that BART can **** up a one car funeral.

But what the ****, who cares?

Their wages and benefits go up anyway.

31 Dana Mom February 21, 2014 at 8:11 PM

@Jimstrixie

It is in the Concord Bart Station

32 Trailer Chick February 21, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Lol…anon 28, I hear ya. I was here years ago when the transformer blew…now THAT was news.

33 Jennifer D February 21, 2014 at 8:23 PM

Someone had mentioned a fault line that runs through here. I found an article posted on Claycord back in 2011.

34 Momo February 21, 2014 at 8:28 PM

@26
I took the comment to mean that riders were pushing and running to get on a packed bus not that the system was making them pay

35 j February 21, 2014 at 8:43 PM

No, the drivers were making riders pay. Eventually we forced the driver to open the back doors and so we all forced on. I feel bad for the drivers, as they were not ready for the ensuing commotion. The only busses at PH were the CoCo county shuttles. BART was not helpful or prepared for this at all.

36 Nick February 21, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Just drove by, derailment is on the south side of the Concord station, just past loading platforms, east surface parking lot is closed off by police, with news vans there too. I could see about 5 bart cars off tracks zigzagged at the end of the platforms. No more helis above.

37 Trailer Chick February 21, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Thanks for the link, Jennifer D. I live right on top of it, directly across the street from the Concord yard. We get the occasional little shakes here and there.
Snip from link:
“…it looks like the Concord fault goes from above Crystyl Ranch into Lime Ridge, over Ygnacio, continues through Lime Ridge, over Treat Boulevard, down to Systron Drive and San Miguel, then it runs right under the BART tracks near Systron Drive and San Miguel Road, apparently you can see several cracks in the pavement that were created by the activity on the fault.”

38 BART will set up a Bus-Bridge on Monday February 21, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Union rules prohibit drivers from working in the dark or on weekends. So, just curl up on a urine soaked bench….. shut up….. and wait….

39 Huh? February 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM

What station is GBS? Can I tune in after the Olympics? We have Direct TV.

40 ConcordDad February 22, 2014 at 8:13 AM

BART of course as they always do did a half ass fix. This is exactly the same spot that the train derailed a few years ago. While I waited for a bus I was talking to a Station Agent. She said BART is putting tons of money towards building these beautiful new stations going in on the new line to San Jose and cutting funding for fixing the current system. She said her machines in the stations are constantly breaking and she orders parts and they take forever to get there. She said it’s extremely frustrating. She understands why people get upset but she does the best with the tools she has.

People complaining about BART not being prepared for this. Thousands of people ride between Pleasant Hill and Baypoint everyday. How would you be prepared for both tracks going down? Have hundreds of busses waiting in a parking lot somewhere. Busses can’t make up for the amount of trains running during commute.

41 a.l. February 22, 2014 at 10:48 AM

I was really enjoying my Saturday morning…windows open. Beautiful day outside…UNTIL THE HELICOPTERS! Do these dudes really need to keep getting live shots of the Bart station. Very loud, very disruptive, very annoying. Why must they? Nothing is really happening. Just take a darn picture and LEAVE!

42 Michael D. February 22, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Hey people of California,

Sound likes ya’ll need to get packing. One more thing, here in San Antonio, Texas, our government is trying to make us pay for the same old trains. So, I have something to worry about, derailing of transit.