Victim Wrestles & Detains Vehicle Burglary Suspect in the Clayton Valley Highlands

February 20, 2014 15:00 pm · 54 comments

A 34-year-old San Francisco resident was taken into custody earlier this week after a vehicle burglary in the Clayton Valley Highlands neighborhood of Concord.

This is a case where the victim fought back, and fortunately won.

The victim didn’t say what street they live on, and although police did tell us the name of the street, we are keeping it private since they obviously don’t want it published. We will tell you it’s near Highlands Elementary School.

The victim says “My husband was leaving for work in the early hours when he noticed paperwork from my car on the ground. As I was going through everything dumped on the floorboards, my husband went to check his truck and started screaming at me to call the cops. The criminal was in his truck hiding. Husband wrestled man to the ground, cops came.”

This incident occurred on Tuesday morning just after 4am.

Always be careful when confronting a suspect, because there’s a good chance they could be armed and will do almost anything to get away.

The suspect’s name hasn’t been released at this time.

{ 54 comments }

1 Bishop Estates February 20, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Very scary, thank god the residents were not hurt during the struggle.

2 chalkboy8 February 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Good for you!!!!

3 Reality says... February 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM

“wrestled man to the ground”…I hope that means he had to punch him in the face 4 or 5 times!

4 Lost and Happy February 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I too hope “wrestled” really means the suspect broke his fall from the truck with his face… several times!! Glad the d bag got caught

5 Foonman February 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Eventually, we wil not go quietly………..hats off to this citizen.

6 Foonman February 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM

and eventually, we will proof read “wil”………….

7 RANDOM TASK February 20, 2014 at 3:34 PM

hey good work …….obviously we have to fend for our own safety….and belongings. Some more of this and the criminals will have to think twice. keep up the good fight we have to help ourselves because the hard earned money we give to help protect everyone is being used to shelter illegals for votes and subject the middle class to support everyone else as the lower class look for free minimum wage increase so when they go on unemployment they get more per week …a scam at best ……..people…. lower paying jobs are there for a reason if you want more money work harder and strive not sit around and gripe for more and do less work …….wow really this has to be said is mind blowing…..entitlement is becoming a noun.

8 Nicole February 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I’m glad no one was hurt, and the police arrived in time.

My husband would do the same thing. He’s in his 30′s, and physically strong. He’s 6’4, and has a strong personality. He’s a nice guy, but a strong one.

But he can’t out do a gun. He’s well aware he can overcome 95% of society, and it’s quite an advantage.

But it’s a double edge sword. One day he might find himself in a position where he’s defending himself or someone else, and the outcome might not be very pretty.

9 Lucky February 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Lucky the perpetrator was a law abiding thief who wasn’t carrying a gun.

10 Highlands neighbor February 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Good to see homeowners are taking things into their own hands. Concord PD does not patrol this neighborhood !

11 Criminals take note February 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM

People are sick of being victimized and they’re fighting back.

12 Chevrolet girl February 20, 2014 at 3:45 PM

@ # 3 we are on the same page!
From what I heard there were credit cards lying around also. So check your wallets!

13 just a concordian February 20, 2014 at 3:58 PM

@7 Random Task

Quite often we read posts that contain few stupidities, embellishments, falsehoods and bad propaganda. Not too often we see posts that contain more than just a few. And every once in a blue moon there comes someone like you who manages to cover all of the above in the entirety of his/her post. Congratulations! You are truly a pearl among us pigs!

14 What a man! February 20, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Nice to see the good guys win…what a scary way to start the morning, just going off to work, and some thug is hiding in your truck. Hope this hero was not injured

15 Wow February 20, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Great job! Should’ve broke every bone in his body.

16 Anon February 20, 2014 at 4:20 PM

“He’s 6’4, and has a strong personality.”

There are Asians a lot shorter than him that can mess him up
Its obvious you are really impressed how tall he is – like he had anything to do with that. Get over yourself.

17 EAST BAY VELO WORKS February 20, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Good stuff Random Task

18 ConcordMike February 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM

Clayton should reintroduce public hanging.
That’ll make international news!
And make criminals think twice.

So since the DA doesn’t prosecute low level crimes any more, where does this case stand?

19 BUCK426 February 20, 2014 at 4:30 PM

WOOHOO!!!
good guys – 1
bad guy – 0

hope our good neighbor got release some pent up aggression at the fool :) !!

Hey “Anon” …sounds like you’re asian. Parlez vous “Napoleon Syndrome?”

20 Kathleen February 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM

I was burglarized 2 weeks ago and they took my car keys, house keys and I live in the Highlands area, wondering if it was the same guy. They got a llot more than what I mentioned but its scary..

21 Anon2you February 20, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Yeah good going slick, now you are just going to OVERCROWD our prisons! What are you thinking, actually catching a criminal. Don’t you know what type of harm that does to the criminal justice system that is already over worked! Next time leave the poor criminal alone and stop messing with the system…

22 Kevin February 20, 2014 at 4:33 PM

Anon, you’re not very bright. Men who are 6’4 and very strong can easily beat up smaller men, regardless of race. Race is irrelevant.

If you’re a man, you’re a small one. Your insecurity is showing.

Women will ALWAYS feel more comfortable with taller, stronger men. Ask my wife.

23 Despite, February 20, 2014 at 4:37 PM

How it turned out, and the fact that at his age
I would have probably done the same thing,
if this guy has a family, they could have lost
him over this incident. A screw driver to the heart,
a knife, who knows. You have to be smarter than
these ” Macho Vigilante types” that post their
bold claims of imagined heroism.
I will say I’m glad he wasn’t hurt, and the thief
was caught,but please think about the Miriad
of ways this could have ended.

24 furian February 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I like to see these stories. I detest thieves.

Great job!

25 Get Real February 20, 2014 at 4:52 PM

@ Anon—-#17

Your “Napolean Chip” is showing. Men who are bigger and stronger are bigger and stronger.

I’m guessing 5’2, 125. Maybe 130.

I’m with Nicole, and so is my wife. She sleeps at night because of it.

And what does being Asian have to do with anything. Are you a racist?

26 Just a Kid February 20, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I’m glad my Dad’s big because I feel more protected. My Mom does too. And I’m glad this man didn’t get hurt. If he has little kids then his kids would be in big trouble. Because we all need Dad’s. Not everyone has one, and it’s sad. Stay safe big Dad.

27 #14 is just upset February 20, 2014 at 5:31 PM

That there will be one less vote for hilary.

28 Silva February 20, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Funny about the “big strong men” comment, and the “Napoleon complex” too. A large young male friend of mine once lamented that large men sometimes attract aggresive attention by other males through no other mechanism than ther large size. I’ve certainly seen what could be the Napoleon effect myself. I’m short, my DH’s short, and our grown son’s tall. Large size isn’t what all females want though. It’s a lot more complicated than that. I can take care of myself by the way, and no one has to be my protector.

29 From Pittsburg February 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I wonder if this is the same piece of garbage that hit my car and truck
Along with 17 others in our neighborhood on valentines night. Get a job
And quit taking other people’s stuff you low life loser. Karma will get you
Believe that!!!!

30 DeLe February 20, 2014 at 5:54 PM

@DESPITE

This is the victim’s wife. You never know what your reaction will be in a situation like that until you are in that situation. People who think they would fight, sometimes run. People who think they would help, don’t. There were no intended heroics here. There was no intended ‘macho-ness’. Just a regular citizen, who’s age was not given–so not sure why you would say ‘at his age’…but since you mention it, he is 16 years OLDER than the criminal–who was just reacting to a situation. But, honestly, I don’t think my husband actually had time to think about whether or not he was older than the criminal before he detained him for the police. Lol.

We are all extremely grateful no one was hurt. It could have turned out bad, and we are the first to appreciate it didn’t. Also, I am happy that the police found my property on him and it was returned to me. The Concord PD were great. Clayton and Concord PD both responded quickly and took care of the situation professionally. Thank you!

31 Clayton Valley Grad February 20, 2014 at 6:31 PM

DeLe, sorry this happened to your family, and I’m glad no one was hurt.

I’m very tall, physically strong, and in my 30′s.

I agree, size doesn’t always matter, but it sure as heck can’t hurt.

32 Miss Chatty February 20, 2014 at 6:40 PM

I love reading stories like this! Great job to the husband, and the cops for catching this loser.

33 Despite February 20, 2014 at 7:10 PM

@DeLe , re read my post. I have been in that spot.
And reacted the same way. It was only after the
incident I reflected on my wife and three children,
and how things would have been different if I
would have been killed or seriously injured.
There are thirteen year olds killing people.
Guns , knives, etc. I am sure you are proud of
him for catching a thief, but what would you be
saying to your children had the outcome been
something else. Dad was killed keeping some kid
from stealing our radio. Sorry, but to me it’s not
worth My life to catch some little thief. Some
things are worth more, much more, and that’s
all I can say about that.

34 jjjj February 20, 2014 at 7:18 PM

I hope the police can get some info…my daughter’s 1994 Honda Accord was stolen from in front of our house early Friday, Valentine’s Day. We are in the Highlands neighborhood near the park area. We had four tires on three vehicles slashed 10 days prior to that. Something has definitely moved into the area… we’ve lived here 24 years with no problems but have had multiple problems with our vehicles since November.

35 DeLe February 20, 2014 at 7:52 PM

@DESPITE

Well, if you have nothing good to say, maybe you shouldn’t say anything at all. We were in a traumatic experience and you laying down your holier than thou criticisms don’t make things better. We are well aware of the what ifs. I’m sure you are perfect in every way. You can respond, but I’m not wasting time with you anymore. You are not worth it.

36 DeLe February 20, 2014 at 7:56 PM

@jjjj,
I had heard about that incident. Sorry about the car. I, too, have noticed a rash of crime in our neighborhood.

37 "Officer, he jumped out of my truck and attacked me and my wife February 20, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I had no choice but to club him to death with a tire iron.”

38 DeLe February 20, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Hmmm… beginning to think DESPITE might be someone I know.

39 Ted K., SuperMax February 20, 2014 at 8:56 PM

I would have beaten the living daylights out of the crook… break his fingers, legs, and pounded his head against a solid, immovable surface as a life-long reminder that crime does not pay.

Oh, let that stand as a warning.

40 Get Real February 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

@ Ted K.—42

With your attitude, you’re making your Mom proud.

41 Jen February 20, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Was having dinner last night with a friend at Olive Garden (yep I said it) and I had a 2nd thought that maybe I should lug in the laptop (I came straight from wk) so I did- it was still light outside but anyway the staff came over twice and asked us if we had a certain type of car and then another type, we brushed it off as if they left their lights on etc etc. Oh ya my point…when we left, the car was broken into and they weren’t in the restaurant I guess they left to see a movie or Shop but man how crappy is that to come back to your car and see it’s been violated, glass everywhere :(.My car was just 3 down and I was happy I took the time to carry the extra bag with me and then to all the other stops along the way home.
Felt bad for the victim out there. Be safe people… Don’t trust no one!
Im glad highlands peeps are safe! And nobody got
hurt.

42 jjjj February 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM

@DeLe,
Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad everyone is OK and that the police have a least one person to work on. Maybe this will get things back to normal. The Highlands have had their problems, just like any neighborhood, but it’s usually pretty quiet. We have some greats neighbors.

43 Concord February 20, 2014 at 11:53 PM

That is just downright creepy at 4:00 a.m. that you have an intruder at your home. i’m glad no one was hurt and the intruder was caught. i’m so tired of these people doing this; it is out of control.

44 Ted K., SuperMax February 21, 2014 at 8:29 AM

@43.

She is proud and taught all of us not to be pu**ies.

Fight crime, fight back.

45 Idiocracy February 21, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Good work Citizen

46 The Mamba February 21, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I’m really glad these citizens fought back and detained the scumbag. As I’ve said before, now I’d like the police to go to his house and search it for anything else stolen.

Also #17, you are an idiot. If you take a asian sized man against someone who is 6’4″ and knows how to handle himself, you will lose every time. That’s why there are different divisions in boxing and MMA.

47 Concord Guy February 21, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I am in the Highlands as well, a couple of blocks from the park. My car was egged late last Saturday night. It is infuriating.

48 RANDOM TASK February 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM

wait how did this turn into a gary coleman what if show ….people are fighting back since that is the only way to do things now that this state which has been run for 40 years by criminals and thieves who set this all in motion when they lied and fraudulently grabbed this state by its purse strings and sucked it dry. We the people in order to not get ripped off have decided to stand up for ourselves and our families and realize the dems will do nothing with our money but abuse it and send it to their friends and families in payoffs and back door construction deals. Take action and show we are the ones who elect these tools and we are tired of 40 years of being told we can not do the right thing for ourselves and the dems know better and want our money to spend it how they think we should. Please realize this is not being paid for or slandered by any organization or there for mentioned citizens who stand up and shout we have had enough. Lol just blasting y’all ……..stay safe…….now at times we need to handle business for ourselves we make the laws to stick up for people in these situations. Stay safe be proud of the ones who stand up and do something. that’s how this great country is still around ……many thanks to our armed forces securing our freedom of speech and way of life …..bless America and its troops.

49 Bill February 21, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Had someone go through my truck Wednesday night in the wee morning hours. Also live in Concord in the Pine Hollow area. Can someone email me the name of the officer involved in the Concord Highlands arrest. Seems like the low life was ruffling through papers. Made off with a Chevron gas card.

50 This guy February 21, 2014 at 5:54 PM

@RANDOM TASK
Amen brother…..or sister!

51 Nom de Plume February 21, 2014 at 11:46 PM

I miss the Clayton Valley Highlands, State of California, the farmers market and especially East Indian food! However, I do NOT miss this apparent increase in crime. So glad you are safe and hope that good citizens take control soon. Give ‘em hell and don’t let them take over.

52 KAD February 22, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Nom de Plume – Where are you now?

53 John Davis February 22, 2014 at 7:43 PM

The crime occured on Alabama Dr. for those who were still interested

54 cate March 1, 2014 at 9:32 PM

yeah that’s my step dad. I was at my dads house so I couldn’t see or hear about it till the morning. a bunch of my friends were telling me they heard about it on facebook. I’m proud of him! :)