Martinez Police Nab Teens Suspected in Early Morning Smash & Grab Burglaries

February 20, 2014 5:00 am · 40 comments

Police arrested three teens on Wednesday after the trio was allegedly caught burglarizing cars parked in a residential Martinez neighborhood.

Officers responded around 5:20 a.m. to reports of suspects smashing the windows of several cars in the 600 block of Fig Tree Lane and grabbing electronic devices from the vehicles, according to Martinez police Officer Clarence Moore.

When they saw police arrive, three suspects fled the scene. Officers apprehended all three a short time later on nearby Riverwood Circle and found them to be in possession of the stolen electronics, Moore said.

He said one of the suspects was identified as 19-year-old Kristian Rojas of Martinez. The other two were teenage boys from Martinez and Pleasant Hill whose names were not released because they are juveniles, he said.

All three were arrested on suspicion of burglary and possession of stolen property. Rojas was taken to county jail while the two younger suspects were booked into Juvenile Hall.

Moore said vehicle burglaries are a classic “crime of opportunity,” and tend to happen when people leave valuables in their cars.

Wednesday’s smash and grab burglaries remain under investigation and anyone with information is asked to call Martinez police at 925-372-3440.

{ 40 comments }

1 Mike K February 20, 2014 at 5:31 AM

Kudos to MPD for nabbing ‘em, residents of Martinez appreciate it.

2 Anon February 20, 2014 at 6:29 AM

Hope they and their parents have to pay for the damage. Kristian like a thug: https://www.facebook.com/kristian.rojas.906?fref=ts

3 Angelo C. February 20, 2014 at 6:55 AM

So contrary to what most of you say when these things happen, I guess all the criminals don’t come from Pittsburg/Antioch after all huh? Pleasant Hill and Martinez trash…..

4 ThankYou February 20, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Thank you MPD. Hope these nincompoops get some help so they can snap out of their odd behavior.

5 The Mamba February 20, 2014 at 7:23 AM

We had a rash of these a few months back in our neighborhood, I hope that the police go to their homes and look for other stolen items in cases like this.

6 Hate liars and thieves February 20, 2014 at 7:38 AM

Wow the kid even brags about his bicycle being built with stolen parts on fb page. What being a thief is cool? Look at you now, it was just a matter of time. Momma must be proud. Thanks MPD for catching them before they made it to my neighborhood

7 NoMoreFreeRide February 20, 2014 at 8:16 AM

What a winner! His girlfriend has eyebrows like Groucho Marx!

8 Flogging February 20, 2014 at 8:49 AM

would be good for these kids and their parents.

Just because people leave items in their cars does not give anyone the right or entitlement to take those items.

Parents of underage teenagers should pay for the criminal activities of their children side by side with their children.

9 Hate liars and thieves February 20, 2014 at 9:11 AM

NoMoreFreeRide I thought the same thing but decided to be nice and keep it to myself

10 GD98 February 20, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Good. These idiots have been at it for a couple weeks.

11 Anon February 20, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Sounds like this might be a good example of why kids need parents to be parents and not best friends to their kids. Assuming that they live with parents, why are they out running wild and what type of parent permits that? I sincerely hope that these young men learn from this and start living an honest life. Parents of the two minors need to step it up.

12 Chevrolet girl February 20, 2014 at 9:31 AM

He will get a slap on the wrist and let back out on the streets to do it again.
Can’t these people find something better to do with their time? What parent wants to say “I’m so proud of my son, he broke into five cars tonight”

13 anon February 20, 2014 at 9:48 AM

@8 NoMoreFreeRide
“Holy Eyebrows” was my first thought as well

14 JET February 20, 2014 at 9:58 AM

I looked at his photos on Facebook and it appears that he was a clean cut kid a couple of years ago, but now is a pot smoking thief. Most likely he got in with the wrong crowd and is trying to look cool by being a ‘thug’. Well kid, enjoy the penalites of your ‘thug life’. You can always turn it around if you want. Get a job and buy your own stuff…. no you won’t get everything you want right now but that is why you work harder and eventually you can afford those nice things you are stealing now. Sometimes the good things in life take a little effort on our part.

15 Duh February 20, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Why do people still leave items in their cars? I understand you shouldn’t have to take them out, but reality is you do or take a chance they will get stolen.
I’m baffled!

16 Get a Clue! February 20, 2014 at 10:10 AM

The Martinez PD (and the Mayor) said it best.

Vehicle burglaries are a classic “CRIME OF OPPORTUNITY” and tend to happen WHEN PEOPLE LEAVE VALUEABLES IN THEIR VEHICLES.

When are people going to WAKE UP?

If you’re a true victim (not setting yourself up), I feel badly for you.

Then there are those who set themselves up, and ruin it for everyone else.

I’m the FRIST PERSON TO BLAME THOSE WHO SET THEMSELVES UP. They NEED TO HEAR IT!

17 personally February 20, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I think they should stop protecting the names of the minors. Put their names out there for public shaming. I don’t think we should seal records when someone turns 18. These kids should know that being a criminal will haunt you for life. Maybe that will deter most from being a criminal.

18 zeroc00l February 20, 2014 at 10:59 AM

mexicans tend to have sticky fingers

19 Huh? February 20, 2014 at 11:04 AM

@ Personally—18

Minors are protected for a reason. I hope you’re young. People wise up through the years.

20 Just me February 20, 2014 at 11:34 AM

No I agree. Smashing a window and stealing your things is a very adult crime. Why protect their names? It’s not something small like shoplifting a candy bar or something stupid

Windows are expensive. Plus you’re out a car for a day or two. The items could cost in upwards of 500 dollars.

It’s not too much for one to expect that their personal property should be safe overnight. Blaming them for leaving it in their car is asinine.

21 personally February 20, 2014 at 12:22 PM

@ #20- I’m a middle aged law abiding citizen. I know there are several cities in the mid west and south that will put names of anyone who commits a crime, regardless of age, in the local newspaper. By protecting these little scumbags, they are not really learning that there can be consequences for their actions.

To deter crime, we need to make the punishment harder, not easier. That is why most are repeat offenders.

22 Clayton Valley Grad February 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Personally, (#22), since you’re middle aged, I shouldn’t have to explain this to you, but I will.

Minors are under aged kids, and their brains aren’t fully developed. Brains aren’t fully developed until your early 20′s. Their crimes are just as bad as adults (sometimes worse), but society always has and always will protect minors, and rightfully so.

If you commit a serious felony (murder), etc., you’ll be charged as an adult.

Young people do stupid things, especially young males. There is nothing more stupid than a male teenager. I don’t like these crimes anymore than you do, but I understand that they’re “young and stupid.”

If you’re “middle aged”, I shouldn’t have to explain this to you. I’m in my 30′s, and you probably have 20 years on me.

The difference is “intellect and common sense.”

23 GD98 February 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM

@23-

Being young is hardly an excuse for being stupid.

Teenagers know damn well that breaking into cars is bad. Why else would they be doing it at 5AM when it’s dark and people are sleeping?

24 Craig February 20, 2014 at 1:21 PM

GD98—-Teenagers do stupid things, period. Especially males. Do you have any kids? Were you ever a teenager? Ever heard the expression “I was that age once?”

Being a teenager is not an excuse, it’s a contributing factor. There is a difference.

I taught at the high school level for over 30 years in San Diego. Between being a teenager myself, raising four kids, and being around teenagers in school for over 30 years, I have a lot of experience.

Most kids are good kids, but they do stupid things.

Perhaps these are just bad kids with poor parenting. I don’t know them.

You’re very narrow minded regarding teenagers. I think you have to reach a certain age before you experience life.

Probably 40. The finer side of life.

But I agree, teenagers know darn well that breaking into cars (or any crime) is bad. They’re teenagers.

25 GD98 February 20, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Craig- I was that age once, it was pretty fun.

There is a pretty significant difference in the normal kids being young and stupid activities, and breaking into numerous cars to steal things.

Hopefully I can teach my boys to not cross that line.

26 I was that age once February 20, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I ran with my buddies. We stayed out late. We NEVER destroyed other peoples property, we NEVER stole anything from anyone.

We did dumb things that kids do, but NEVER felt the need to do harm to others.

People of all ages make choices. These scum bags made the choice to be criminals. There is no excuse.

Try them as adults.

27 Craig February 20, 2014 at 2:13 PM

GD98—-26

I hope you teach your sons not to cross that line as well. Our kids are grown, and they’re all college graduates, and happily married homeowners. But far from perfect.

None of our sons (or daughters ) have ever been arrested.

But my wife and I aren’t naïve enough to think that we knew “everything our kids were doing.” My wife and I grew up in the 70′s. I was born at night, but I wasn’t born last night.

But I do agree with your entire post, #26.

28 Just me February 20, 2014 at 2:34 PM

The age argument is hilarious.

Take two kids. One is 17. One is 20.

Theyre both doing 140mph down 680.

By this logic the 20 year old should be stopped but lets let the 17 year old go because he just doesn’t know any better yet.

And we wonder why things are the way they are.

29 iluvfriedchicken February 20, 2014 at 2:39 PM

@17

Please stop blaming the victim.

30 Sheila February 20, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I agree with Clayton Valley Grad and Craig. Everything they’re saying makes sense.

For those of you who are still raising kids. If you really think you know everything your kids are doings at all times, you’re not being realistic.

These kids are going down the wrong path. But I don’t agree with charging teenagers as adults unless it’s a serious felony. It happens to be a widely held opinion, and that’s why the laws differ for minors.

People wise up through the years.

If you’re raised properly, you’ll probably turn out okay.

The first thing that comes to mind is poor parenting. Parents have to lead by example…………

31 Sheila February 20, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Just Me…..#30

Your analogy is illogical. 17 and 20 are both young and stupid!

32 Cowellian February 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Get a Club!

33 Nicole February 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Cowellian, what’s up with your “get a club” mentality? I guess it’s better than clubbing your wife and kids. Or the neighbors.

34 @ CVG # 23 February 20, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Ok. Let me spell it out to you. I don’t give a f*&# if they are 13, 16, or 17. Stop babying these little criminals. Harsh punishment now, may prevent a life of crime later. Your insistence on not giving them a fitting punishment just leaves me to believe that your child is also a delinquent.

35 Clayton Valley Grad February 20, 2014 at 6:08 PM

@CVG #23–(36)

You moron, my wife and I have two kids under the age of 7.

I believe teenagers should be tried as minors (with the exception of violent felonies),and adults should be tried as adults. It’s a widely held opinion.

I don’t believe in babying them, but there’s a reason kids go to juvenile hall, not jail.

I’ve never been arrested. I’ve never stolen anything. I’m not a liberal. And I don’t have delinquent kids.

Leading by example (parental) is the answer.

It’s not uncommon for lowlife parents to have lowlife kids.

So you want to throw 15 year olds in San Quentin and eventually let them out? That’s a recipe for disaster.

36 @ Clayton Valley Grad February 20, 2014 at 6:24 PM

I agree with you about not trying them juveniles as adults (for non-violent crimes) and that their frontal lobes are not fully developed; and I definitely am not soft on crime. Thanks for the gentle reminder about this.

37 Cartman February 20, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Boil him.

38 Jon February 21, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I was a victim in this case. AND I did not leave anything visible in my car. Thus negating any and all claims from the morons who said we were to blame for such theives. These kids are punks and low-life’s as are their parents. Who does not know where their children are at 4:30 am?! Also I am out of pocket $400 dollars to repair damage done by these crooks. Until restitution is repaid.

39 Neal February 21, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Jon, only you know whether or not you left anything in your vehicle. Most vehicle thefts are because people are too lazy and stupid to remove valuables from their vehicle. Talk about setting yourself up.

If you don’t want to be victimized, put your car in the garage where it belongs!

40 Jon February 22, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Neal
So every time you drive somewhere you find a garage, huh? I was visiting a friend in that area. I had left nothing in my car other than a spent straw wrapper. People don’t have to set themselves up. Crime will happen regardless. But it should not happen because a person is lazy or stupid. Those are not reasons to become victims. Instead focus on the fact that parenting is what the real issue is here.