Good Samaritans Step-Up, Help Man Push Vehicle While Others Keep Driving

February 20, 2014 17:45 pm · 24 comments

It’s always nice to read stories like this….

With all the bad news in the public I thought I’d share something positive I saw today. An older gentlemen broke down at the intersection of Concord Blvd. and Kirker Pass. I was at the light on the other side and people kept passing him without helping him push his car. Two Concord city workers ran across the street and helped him. It was nice to see people still help others out.

Thanks to the Claycordian who sent the information to us, and thanks to the City of Concord employees who helped out the man in need.

1 Anon February 20, 2014 at 5:54 PM

that happened to me once, unfortunately it was on a busy highway and not a surface street! I had called 911 and they were sending help. to make matters worse I wasn’t in the right hand lane, making it that much more dangerous (and scary!) luckily for me a random guy stopped to help push me to the shoulder until the police could get there. it is definitely nice to see that there are people who will do nice and helpful things for strangers!

2 Clayton Valley Grad February 20, 2014 at 6:15 PM

This is nice to read. Being happily married and becoming a Dad turned me into a Good Samaritan. Helping others in need is a win/win situation.

3 Silva February 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM

I’m glad to hear someone helped. I was once in my Ford F150 p/u truck on West MacArthur stopped at the light on Broadway in Oakland when my truck died. It was before the days when everyone had a cell phone, & hundreds of people drove past me. After easily 45 minutes someone pulled over and came and pushed my truck across the busy intersection to a safe place, by himself. He wasn’t particularly large or strong looking either. Just a regular guy. An African American guy. After I thanked him, he said “God Bless you.”.

4 firefighters daughter February 20, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Kudos to those two gentlemen for helping the elderly man. It just shows you that there are some good people out there!

5 anonmtz February 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Good on the Concord City employees who got out there and helped this person…..

6 Atticus Thraxx February 20, 2014 at 7:44 PM

And city workers catch a fair bit of flack on this blog. Nice to hear something nice about them for a change.

” Being happily married and becoming a Dad turned me into a Good Samaritan.”

You can’t “turn in to” being a Good Samaritan. That is either your nature, or it’s not. And what happens if things go south in your marriage? Gonna drive by and clip them with the door? Bloviation rejected.

7 Jerk February 20, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Damn Straight! All of those commuters are wasting precious time trying to get home in Anitoch and Oakley, since the people that they all voted for out there are incompetent and could not stop runaway growth or bring in jobs.
I guess the majority of them couldn’t vote since they were all sitting on Hwy 4 on their daily 4 hour commute.

8 Lari February 20, 2014 at 8:44 PM

My daily driver used to be an old classic car that had a broken gas gauge, so sometimes I’d lose track of how much gas I had left and …. I’d run out. One time I was in an intersection and these two guys from two different cars jumped out and ran out to push me to safety. I usually had a gas can in the trunk, but a few times it was empty. In those instances, I was always offered a ride to a gas station and back. Once I stalled out on Ygnacio and was walking with the can to the Circle K. A woman pulled over and offered me a ride and then insisted on bringing me back to the car. Another, final time off of Cowell, a man pulled over and said he’d never let his wife get into a stranger’s car, so he gave me the gas he had in his trunk and would not accept money…just told me sternly to always keep it filled up. I did. And I got the gauge fixed before retiring the car to the garage.

9 Huh? February 20, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Atticus, I think his point was marriage and children changed him for the better. He realized the world was “no longer all about him.” Maybe with a wife and children, it went even further. Helping total strangers.

Quit being a know it all. You don’t know him, and either do I. But I understand his point.

You’re very immature, and I don’t think you’re getting any younger. 50 something?

10 mika February 20, 2014 at 9:06 PM

I will never give up on the kindness of humans. Despite all the bad news we hear daily, good deeds and acts of kindness continue to happen evey day.

11 Rick February 20, 2014 at 9:46 PM

You can become a Good Samaritan by becoming a Christian. It’s in the Bible (Luke).

It’s not something you are or aren’t. People can change for the better.

If you change your attitude and heart, you can put others first. What would Jesus do?

God bless.

12 P. H. Neighbor February 21, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Very nice, thanks for posting.
Raised to help another in need. I always think it could be me or a family member/friend/neighbor, someday needing help.
Do on to others…reap what you sow…Karma.

13 NatureGirl February 21, 2014 at 9:41 AM

I saw someone do this in Walnut Creek yesterday morning too. A guy in a Jeep got stuck at a light, and the driver in the Aramark truck in the lane next to him jumped out to help him push his vehicle around the corner. The nice part was that no one who was stuck behind either vehicle honked when the light turned green. The helpful driver ran back to his truck and pulled away quickly. A nice way to start the morning!

14 LostBoysMom February 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM

It is nice to hear this. I had the opposite experience some years ago. I had a big heavy sedan and it dies at an intersection in downtown Walnut Creek in heavy traffic. Nobody stopped. There were several high school boys from Las Lomas waiting to cross and they all just stared. I finally yelled at them to help me which they did reluctantly. You’re right Atticus Thraxx, I guess it wasn’t in their nature.

15 CiCi February 21, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I saw a car break down on a fairly busy road in Concord. Quite a few drivers pulled around the stalled car and kept on going. Finally two cars pulled over and the drivers got out and pushed the car to the shoulder. This stuck in my mind because both drivers who stopped to help were female! I couldn’t help because I was walking my dogs, but I called it in to the police because it was a narrow shoulder and the car was still a hazard. The driver eventually got her car started and went on her way before the police showed up.

16 CiCi February 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

What’s up with you, Atticus? Having a bad day? A lot of people find they have more empathy for others after they get married or have kids. When they see someone in trouble they think “what if that were my son or daughter or spouse? I hope someone would help them.” There’s no need to jump all over someone for admitting that. It’s part of human nature. #3 wasn’t saying you couldn’t be a Good Samaritan unless you were married. He was relating his own experience.

17 I love good samaratins! February 21, 2014 at 12:17 PM

What’s the old saying? If you’re unhappy with yourself, you can’t be happy with others. I think you know who I’m referring to. I hope he finds happiness in his life.

I want everyone to be happy!

God bless you good samaratins! Where would we be without you?

18 @Atticus February 21, 2014 at 1:07 PM

You’re a jerk sometimes you know that? In case you missed it while growing up.. “If you don’t have anything nice to say…… “

19 Cowellian February 21, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Well, that was certainly a nice thing to say to Atticus.

20 Custer February 21, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Thank goodness for all the great people who do
stop to help. I was in college before I realized
you had to put gas in the car every now and then —
never mind lube jobs, oil changes, tires. If
it weren’t for the many kind motorists who
drove me to a phone booth to call my dad, I’d
probably not be here right now. That was a while
ago. These days I carry a cellphone and call
my insurance company for a tow, gas, etc.

21 Atticus Thraxx February 21, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I may be an a-hole but I’m not wrong. Conditional humanity is a symptom of low moral character.

22 Custer February 21, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Thank goodness for all the great people who do
stop to help. I was in college before I realized
you had to put gas in the car every now and then —
never mind lube jobs, oil changes, tires. If
it weren’t for the many kind motorists who
drove me to a phone booth to call my dad, I’d
probably not be here right now. (Yes, I was over-
protected.) That was a while ago. These days
I carry a cellphone and call my insurance company
for a tow, gas, etc., but, I certainly was thankful
for all the help I got.

23 Happy Thursday February 21, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I understand Clayton Valley Grads point. It’s not uncommon for men to change for better when they marry and have a family.

Atticus, may you find meet the woman of your dreams…….

Good Samaritans, God bless you. You make the world a better place, and restore my faith in humanity!

24 @Atticus February 21, 2014 at 3:41 PM

It’s not “conditional humanity”. It’s a recognition that as we go through life we learn from our experiences and, yes, we are changed by our experiences. Hopefully for the better. Older but wiser. For many of us, having children is a life altering experience that gives us a greater sense of responsibility towards others, more empathy for others, and brings out a protective instinct. It requires us to put the needs of others above our own desires.

So don’t be jumping all over Clayton Valley Grad because he thinks getting married and having kids turned him into a better person. It probably did. There’s nothing wrong with that. It’s not a sign of low moral character. I’d say it’s just the opposite. It would be a sad world indeed if we didn’t grow as human beings as we go through life’s journey.