Wasting Water in the Bel-Air Shopping Center at Clayton & Treat in Concord

February 19, 2014 · 26 comments

Californians are being asked to conserve water due to the drought, but apparently the managers of the Bel-Air shopping center in Concord didn’t get the memo.

As you can tell from the pictures, which were sent in by a concerned Claycordian named “Phoenyx”, the center is wasting several gallons of water in the parking lot.

Hopefully Myron Zimmerman Investments (510.834.2632) will take care of the problem, because right now we need all the water we can get.

Thanks again to “Phoenyx” for the pictures!

1 KenHousfeld February 19, 2014 at 10:17 AM

I just called them. They said they worked on it over the weekend. When they wanted to know how long ago the pictures were taken, I said 8 minutes ago.They said someone would work on it again and thanked me.

2 Will February 19, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I was there yesterday and it was making me sick The really should be criminal waste that much water on weeds with what they’ve wasted on water in the past two days I could water my thousand square-foot garden for three weeks in the middle of summer

3 Kirkwood February 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Unless this happens every day, it looks like a stuck valve or a problem with the irrigation clock. The strip mall might not have anybody onsite to deal with such things.

4 Mee February 19, 2014 at 10:30 AM

Better check, they may use well water…

5 Dorothy February 19, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Many places, especially commercial areas, have sprinklers on auto with no directions on when or where to turn them off, or else no one is given the responsibility of checking if they are off or on. Nothing like seeing the sprinklers come on in the middle of a rainy day. Especially when we actually get rain.

6 Nick February 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Another reason I try not to shop in that shopping center. It is always so dirty and obviously management doesnt do a good job at all with anything in their center.

7 @kirkwood February 19, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Its an everyday type thing, I see it flooded a lot.

8 Lee February 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Is Concord CCWD, or EBMUD? At any rate, maybe contacting them wouldn’t hurt either just to report this issue.

9 Wonder when... February 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM

city is going to start taking out the trees and work on new lane for right turn lane on Treat. Space is to come from the edge of trees.

10 Cracky McGee February 19, 2014 at 11:31 AM

That shopping center is a dump. I don’t think the property managers give a hoot either way …

11 Tattletale February 19, 2014 at 11:54 AM

So why doesn’t someone tell them or do something about it instead of gossiping like a bunch of old hens ??????

12 oldman February 19, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Oh! The humanity of it all

13 KJ February 19, 2014 at 12:38 PM

They should put in drip irrigation so they wouldn’t always be watering pavement.

Unfortunately, Myron Zimmerman Investments does not seem to have much interest in maintaining or developing this property.

14 The4thBore February 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Is my 4th favorite shopping center in Concord in the news again? Why am I not suprised.. This property has been in decay for years now with next to nothing in improvements or the hint of a small rennovation. Park n Shop makes this center look 3rd world.

MZI needs to be publically shamed for the lack of investment in this property over the last 20 years. When will the City Manager and Council step up to these commercial property owners to discuss selling or providing 30 year leases for redevelopment? This core location could be so much more than strip mall leftovers it is today..

15 Former Canterbury Villager February 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM

That shopping center has been an epicenter of problems for quite some time, particularly when it comes to the roving gangs of drunks. I tried calling a few people and got no response. Long’s didn’t care, CVS doesn’t care, the City doesn’t care, and Myron Zimmerman (who has been called out on Claycord numerous times about neglecting this property) definitely doesn’t care. I finally moved out of the area because everything was getting so scummy, which is too bad, because I really liked Canterbury Village.

16 Get a grip February 19, 2014 at 2:08 PM

How about a friendly call. Why does everything have to be about someone doing something wrong. Sounds like either equipment failure or maybe someone in the ranks is not doing their job. Give them a chance to address the issue. How much water do you think you waste waiting for the shower to get warm? I remember back when we had a drought and we didn’t get to flush the toilet every time. Please! Next thing you all will whine about the dried out landscape. Get over it and get real. Everyone is aware and I am sure as things get worse there will be plenty of things to pick of and whine about. Smh

17 dk February 19, 2014 at 2:13 PM

businesses don’t care whether or not they waste water.

18 Phoenyx February 19, 2014 at 3:14 PM

It wasn’t just in front of Staples, either… the entire parking lot on that side of the center was wet.

Sometimes (not all the time, I admit), the best way to get property management companies to act on something is to publicly shame them through a news outlet. If something is done since a few have called (I didn’t have the phone number, now I do) and the Mayor has posted my photos here, great! Otherwise I will return with a better camera than my iPhone, and send them to the local broadcast stations.

Then again, I know KTVU likes to pull from here… maybe they’ll pick it up.

19 ANNONeeemoose February 19, 2014 at 5:35 PM

YOu should go look at the sprinklers at the Community Park on Cowell Rd. What a waste! They are single streams of water that come out when it is trying to water the lawn, they water the sidewalks too. Complete waste of city//public funds.

20 DanMtz February 19, 2014 at 5:45 PM

If you want to know how to not water a tree, just look at the pictures. Tell them to buy a soaker hose and stop spraying the trunk.

21 Momo February 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Cities don’t seem to care about waste either. Last year I was driving down treat blvd. early Saturday morning. Water was gushing out of a broken sprinkler head in the center medium. Called the city. When I drove back late in the afternoon water was still gushing. Called again. Was told that because it was the weekend nothing would be done till Monday. Unbelievable!! Is there not an emergency crew that handles issues like this during non regular working hours? What a waste.

22 Robin Gibson February 19, 2014 at 7:49 PM

http://www.planetfeedback.com is a great site to write a complaint letter it also gives you a list of people senators etc.. I used it when pg&e had there doors propped open and the a/c going while we were told to cut back to avoid black or brown outs. I sent it to Diane Fienstien and she took care of it. You might try it. The more people that complain about it the faster it will be taken care of.

23 Former Canterbury Villager February 19, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Michelle, sorry you took it that way. I liked Canterbury Village, it’s the way everything was getting all around it. That’s why I said I liked it in my post. I lived there a long time, miss my neighbors, and still talk with them. But if you’ve followed Claycord the last couple years, you should know that there have been numerous, on-going crime related issues all around that area that absentee owner’s of some businesses have contributed towards. The City didn’t seem to care, either. I seemed to be the minority about caring and I didn’t want to be there if it went back to the way it was a few decades ago. Just wasn’t for me any more. Best of luck.

24 Anon February 20, 2014 at 4:28 AM

Maybe you all should linch them, LOL.

25 Beanerman February 20, 2014 at 2:05 PM

These unfortunate store owners should be fined for doing this. wasting water by the hundreds of gallons while we all suffer from severe drought conditions.

I also think that my unfortunate neighbors in my apartment complex should be cited for using excessive amounts of water in the morning while taking 20 minute showers.

lynching aint so bad of an idea….

26 grewah February 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM

To No. 20. It is my understanding Community Park uses grey water. They could do a better job tuning the sprinklers tho.
To No 8. Concord is CCWD