Beautiful! Mt. Diablo Continues to Regrow After the Morgan Fire

February 19, 2014 · 13 comments

Thanks to Robin Sexton for these beautiful pictures of the burned area of Mt. Diablo, which was blackened during the 3,000 acre Morgan Fire late last year.

Robin says “I went hiking on Mt. Diablo, in the burn area off Morgan Territory Road in Clayton. It was eerily beautiful and still smelled of smoke. Some areas were only partially burnt, with lichen and moss still clinging to the upper branches of many of the trees. Other areas were completely desolate – nothing but burnt twigs sticking out of the ground, like skeletons. Good news – there is a thin blanket of lush green grass growing and even some wildflowers popping up here and there. I understand there are a few varieties of flowers that come up only after a fire, such as the red poppy (I have been told the heat of the fire breaks open the seeds which allows them to sprout)! So I plan to hike that area at least once a month and start a photo journal of the changes. I am sending you a few select photographs I took during my hike.”

Thank you so much, Robin. We all love seeing the regrowth of Mt. Diablo!

Please click on each picture for a much larger view.

1 Fred February 19, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I went hiking up Diablo when they had the last big fire (1980s?) some interesting stuff to see.

2 Cowellian February 19, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Too cool!

3 mutts February 19, 2014 at 8:33 AM

I’m looking forward to more pix. These were beautiful, thanks.

4 Mee February 19, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Fire was 1977 I think, not sure. Embers were falling on houses in Clayton, in Dana Farms, Hills, all had wood shingle roofs at the time and it could have been a fire storm through all of clayton and concord and beyond, easy. But this fire we lucked out. Conditions were not as bad as they could have been, and the FD attacked the fire like going to war, it was amazing job to contain the Morgan fire. A monumental effort… But still, figures after this fire we get a year with next to zero rain for months of our rainy season. By now on even an average rainfall type year we would be seeing wild flowers and regrowth to boggle the mind by now. But still, this is nice to see.

5 Silva February 19, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Really beautiful photos Robin, many thanks! I can’t wait to see more! Looking forward to a good hike or two.

6 WC February 19, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Thanks for taking the time to photograph this beauty and share with us.

7 Peter February 19, 2014 at 8:51 AM

I didnt realize till I went up their last weekend. That the fire reached the top of the mountain. Literally the bushes at the summit were burned.

8 ClayDen February 19, 2014 at 9:08 AM

The fire was August 1977. We were walking out of the loan company in Walnut Creek from signing the mortgage papers on our new house in Clayton and we were talking about how it felt like “earthquake weather,” not the normal August in CoCo County. Then we saw the lightning strikes hitting Mt. Diablo that started the fire. Our house wasn’t finished yet, but we were concerned for our new city and all of the people living here.

9 Anon February 19, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Beautiful pictures- thanks for sharing.

10 Anonymous February 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM

It was 77 . The Misses was gravid and we had 2 bucks until payday. Bought some apples and a coke and watched the fire from a park. Honking big fire.

11 Mee February 19, 2014 at 9:56 AM

We are lucky though. We got about 2 inches of rain a week or two ago which was not a lot, but enough to sprout some grass.. The grass that did sprout will help hold soil if we get a down poor between now and summer. Mud slides can devastate not only what they hit, but the land left behind without top soil. That is slow to recover. Look where strip mining was done in the mountains for gold in the 1800’s/ Still barren. Rock mush and dead. So let’s hope ideally for a couple more inches, a good steady even rains and not a down poor. and mud slides… Thank you for these pictures!! And yes, the fire reached the top of almost the whole South side of the Mountain,, yet never came over the North side..

12 MadMom February 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM

You just can’t beat Mother Nature. Thanks for the lovely pics!

13 anonares February 20, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Robin – Thanks for the great pictures and reminding us to keep positive. I will be watching for your next update with more pics.