53-year-old Martinez Woman Arrested for Murder on Sunday

February 17, 2014 · 79 comments

murder

On Sunday, officers from the Martinez Police Department responded to the 1400 block of Azalea Ave. to investigate a suspicious death, and ended up arresting a 53-year-old woman for murder.

The victim, whose identity hasn’t been released, was found dead inside the home.

An autopsy will be performed on the victim to determine the cause of death.

The following information is from the Martinez Police Department:

The officers contacted Christy Lee Southwick, (age 53) inside her residence.

The victim was located, pronounced deceased and ultimately recovered by the Contra Costa County Coroner.

Southwick was arrested and booked into Contra Costa County Jail for Penal Code 187 – “Murder”.

The identity of the victim is being withheld pending contact with the next-of-kin.

The investigation is continuing, and anyone with information about Southwick is urged to contact the Martinez Police Dept., Det. Baillie at 925-372-3451.

photo: courtesy of the Martinez Police Dept.

1 Russ February 17, 2014 at 6:03 AM

awaiting the Mayors update of this story with the oh so famous “police say drugs may have been involved”……

2 JRConcord February 17, 2014 at 6:24 AM

That is some glamour shot! Although I cant say my mug shots are any better. I cant wait to read all of the details on Claycord.com

3 Steve H. February 17, 2014 at 6:37 AM

Pin prick pupils.

4 Schmee February 17, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Mmmm mmmmm Meth

5 Willopass MOB February 17, 2014 at 9:11 AM

She looks like a meth freak

6 Monday, Monday February 17, 2014 at 9:12 AM

I hope the suspicious death isn’t an elderly parent. Very sad…..

7 Section 8 Tweeker February 17, 2014 at 9:43 AM

8 very classy February 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I’m sure someone will fall in love with her soon in jail..if you know what I mean ……lol

9 thefuture February 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I feel sad for her parents….

10 jarule February 17, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Let’s hope this beast did have any children of her own.

11 Felino February 17, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Wasn’t she on last seasons Real Meth-wives of Martinez?

12 Meth Monsters February 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Might of took her last hit off her pipe

13 Shelly February 17, 2014 at 1:25 PM

It would be fun to see the “before” mugshot.

14 .... Connie, February 17, 2014 at 2:17 PM

is that you?

15 Shelly February 17, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I’m sorry for making light of this story, someone did lose their life.

16 ScanMan February 17, 2014 at 2:38 PM

I heard this call on the scanner Sunday. She called the Martinez PD and said “I killed my mother last Friday”. She asked the police to come out and then said she won’t answer any questions until she has a lawyer.

17 Keith February 17, 2014 at 2:48 PM

@#15

Easy……. I guess she brings it on herself. I needed that laugh.

I just hope it wasn’t her grandchild or one of her parents. If it’s her husband or boyfriend, women usually kill when they’re being abused.

Men kill because they’re abusive. As a man, I’m the first to admit there’s a difference.

18 Silva February 17, 2014 at 2:50 PM

@#17; well that’s really sad.

19 Connie Dobbs February 17, 2014 at 3:06 PM

#15, I knew you would. Waiting 14 hours shows a remarkable amount of restraint on your part. Or maybe that’s how long it took you to chew through them and make your witty, witty post.

20 teri February 17, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Keith @18, as a domestic violence expert and advocate for male victims, I have to say, how dare you!

Half of all DV is mutual, and of the rest, women are the perpetrators 70% of the time.

Forty percent of seriously injured victims are men. And those are only the ones who will go for medical help.

More men would do that, if they didn’t face gender bias like we just saw.

21 Meth Monsters February 17, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Crank is a hella of a drug…. Mayor please an update ASAP

22 teri February 17, 2014 at 3:35 PM

And sorry if that was harsh.

23 anonanonagain February 17, 2014 at 3:45 PM

This doesn’t look good at all…..

24 judy February 17, 2014 at 4:03 PM

WELL SHE WAS IN A ON AND OFF RELATIONSHIP WITH MY BROTHER ,SHE HAS USED CRYSAL FOR MANY YRS AND SHE IS BIPOLAR IS SUSPOSTO TAKE MEDS BUT DIDNT JUST DID HER CRYSTAL …..ALWAYS OUT OF IT TWEEKIN ,AND HER MOM WAS THE MOST NICEST PERSON .R.I.P. JEAN ,WE WILL MISS YOU .IM SRY THIS HAD TO HAPPEN MY PRAYERS FOR MY FRIEND JEAN . ANY QUESTIONS FEEL FREE TO ASK ITS OKAY

25 Keith February 17, 2014 at 4:08 PM

@ Teri-24

Get a Life!

26 Monday, Monday February 17, 2014 at 5:02 PM

In case you’re curious……

Police found the victim, LaJean Southwick, 74, dead at the scene. Her cause of death wasn’t released.

She’s being held in Richmond. Bail is 1 million.

I’m saddened to see my suspicion of killing an elderly parent was correct. Very, very sad…..

27 Steve H. February 17, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Thought so. That face has METH written all over. Too bad it had to come to that. Condolences to those who cared. Too bad no one was there to protect her.

28 Atticus Thraxx February 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I have a question…..WILL YOU STOP YELLING FOR CHRISSAKE?

29 Schmee February 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM

“Being held in Richmond” that sucks. That place is too nice for real criminals. I’ve been there you have a key to your own room and cable tv every day and movies on Saturday

30 anon February 17, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Keith, you’re scoring pretty high. what you’re saying matches my experience and info.
BTW If you’re a guy that is interested in raising you’re score with women I’m offering this very important tip that seems to be a big secret. This has got to be the easiest and widely available way to gain high points. Keep a box of kleenex in your vehicle. Do you know what msg. this sends? It says ‘I am not a nosepicker’. Do you have any idea how many guys I see do this each day? I hear that women engage too. I cant recall seeing one ever, but maybe I’m just not looking.

31 ChampagneKitty February 17, 2014 at 7:12 PM

@ #15: That was rude, unnecessary and undeserved.

32 anon February 17, 2014 at 7:15 PM

oh boy, if its not one thing its your mother. i was just thinking of mine a few days ago. she’s german, which means short fuse. you dont know when its going to go off or what will trigger it. and when it goes off…shrapnel all over the place. then she feels better and goes on her merry way leaving the injured behind. almost 80 and still hasnt learned how to have a discussion w/o getting angry or playing the martyr

33 Bob February 17, 2014 at 7:43 PM

My thoughts and prayers are with her family.

34 CeeMee February 17, 2014 at 7:44 PM

Umm, are you blaming the victim?

35 Shelly February 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Huh?

36 Tree Farm February 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Ah, I remember those two from my days at Martinez PD. They used to cruise all over town in a very beat up pickup truck, with a camper shell. Filled with garbage. I spoke with them many, many times.

37 None February 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Send her back to Mexico lol

38 Clayton Valley Grad February 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Statistically speaking, Keith is correct. Law enforcement will tell you the same thing. If you don’t understand how women are more at risk than men (who can easily overpower you), than I won’t take the time to explain it. You wouldn’t understand.

39 Silva February 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM

@None (42). Good one!

40 Tami February 17, 2014 at 10:26 PM

@Scanman, what type of scanner are you using?

41 Cracky McGee February 18, 2014 at 4:25 AM

RIP LaJean Southwick. Our family prays you did not suffer a horrible death.

42 Small Pupils February 18, 2014 at 4:34 AM

She is a heroine addict, not meth. Notice the pinpoint pupils of her eyes ….

43 Small Pupils February 18, 2014 at 4:35 AM

Misspelled Heroin

44 Connie Dobbs February 18, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Yeah, Keith, it’s funny because that woman killed her mother. Explain to me how I brought the comparison on myself.

45 Atticus Thraxx February 18, 2014 at 8:42 AM

That’s what I like about Kieth. You can count on halftardedness from him almost without fail. Guess he’s a man and “knows the difference” and ya’ll should take heed.
Geez the people they let use internets these days…..

46 VikingPrincess February 18, 2014 at 9:34 AM

I was wondering what that post meant. I didn’t think anyone would be so mean, but for all l knew Connie had am unusual sense of humor. Either way, it wasn’t cool. Been hearing about the much anticipated Connie Dobbs for weeks. Glad you weren’t abducted by aliens or turned into a zombie, Connie, welcome back.

I’m the old country we respect our elders. We may send them off in a thatch water vessel to be set fire to join Freja in Valhalla… but they have passed first and they know about the fore bit.

Sad..at least she turned herself in :(

47 VikingPrincess February 18, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Eeh gads..spell correct minced my words again. Hope you can translate

48 Silva February 18, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Yeah VikingPrincess, didn’t even notice. Trolls abound!
She probably turned herself in cause she didn’t know what to do next with no lifeline, (her mother!) Terrible, awful, sad.

49 Rick February 18, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I wish those two would move to the Appalachians where they belong.

50 Zero Tolerance February 18, 2014 at 10:45 AM

After reading Rick’s comments, I’ve been meaning to take out the trash.

51 @Rick February 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Rick, now you’re aflame over here! Don’t let the door hit you on your way out. The mayor had to shut down remarks on a perfectly benign article yesterday, why not chill?

52 Sandra February 18, 2014 at 11:42 AM

@Rick, (58) You’re the one who’s getting all bent over nothing. If Rick wants to state his opinion, let him state his opinion. It’s none of your business. Get off Claycord if you don’t like it. Everything bothers you, and nothing pleases you. Nobody likes you.

53 teri February 18, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Michelle @36

I told the truth, and I have the proof: http://domesticviolenceresearch.org/, http://www.saveservices.org,

54 Cowellian February 18, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Keith is projecting his feelings onto all men. And of course, Rick agrees with Keith. But then, Rick always agrees with Keith, who always agrees with Rick.

55 Ladies First February 18, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Teri, #60—-Save it. Empathy will always be with the ladies. And rightfully so.

56 Silva February 18, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Haha, Cowellian! ‘Tis true!

57 Clayton Valley Grad February 18, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Cowellian, there’s a lot of people named Rick and Keith. I don’t know about Keith, but there are several Rick’s on here. One is my brother, and one is a guy at work.

And then you thought Mitch who had his car stolen was Mitch who lives in the Lafayette Hills. Like there’s only one Mitch

I’m a Clayton Valley grad. I hope you’re not stupid enough to think I’m the only person on Claycord who went to Clayton Valley.

Do you have a job?

58 KAD February 18, 2014 at 4:42 PM

That is because Rick and Keith are the same person.

59 Sandra February 18, 2014 at 5:03 PM

I agree with Rick and Keith. Men are more likely to be abusive, and women are more likely to be abusive when they’re being abused.

Statistically speaking, they are correct.

But then again there is no arguing with the “get a life Claycord crowd” that uses Claycord as a substitute for a life.

60 Sandra February 18, 2014 at 5:08 PM

@ KAD—-65

How would you know? Just because someone thinks alike doesn’t mean they’re the same person. Are you Connie Dobbs or Cowellian? If you live in Nashville, you must be Cowellian because he lives in Tenn., which explains his mentality, as well as yours.

61 Dave February 18, 2014 at 5:27 PM

@Kad#65….. Get a life.

62 Atticus Thraxx February 18, 2014 at 6:38 PM

So a quick review, make sure I’m all caught up…..Sandra doesn’t like #58, can spell statistically, and apparently holds some bigotry towards people living in Nashville. Seems kinda hostile too. Must be a man.
Clayton Valley Gad is apparently taking a census.
And Dave, burning brightly as usual,managed to pound out a feeble retort. No doubt while his mom screamed at him to put the clip back on the Fritos bag for the thousandth time.
Maybe it’s as simple as the larger and more aggressive of a mating pair tends towards physical violence when frustrated or uncertain, while those not capable of or unpracticed in that use emotional weapons to inflict their wounds. Men for the time being anyway are usually the larger of the mating pair, right? Not a hard equation to sum.

63 James February 18, 2014 at 6:50 PM

What’s up with people thinking so and so is so and so, when he or she probably (or definitely) isn’t?

It’s more the mentality of the blogger, not the accused. You’re just making yourself look bad.

I’m waiting for someone to accuse the Mayor of posting his own comments.

Sandra’s last line is a real eye opener, and very sad.

Dealing with the general……

64 Cowellian February 18, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Dave and Sandra seem to be the same as Keith and Rick. They’re all part of the Gang with only one brain.

65 James February 18, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Atticus, don’t get too emotional. The ladies might want to get you into bed.

There is a GOD!!!!

66 Enfield303 February 18, 2014 at 7:06 PM

@Atticus Thraxx

Nailed it.

67 Antler February 18, 2014 at 7:11 PM

KAD, some of the other people (or persons) on here sound like the same mob of idiots who brought down the original John Muir thread. I doubt they are able to comprehend the radical concept of attacking another commenter’s reasoning rather than attacking the commenter himself.

Should we tell them about Mayor and his flying cats? The squadrons which annihilate unruly dementors…those cats? Nahhhhhh, let it be a surprise.

68 Middle of the Road February 18, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Cowellian, being a troublemaker will get you nowhere. Learn to get along with people. You’re very overbearing.

69 KAD February 18, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Atticus and Cowellian can handle them. Then we will see if the flying cats are truly necessary. Hate to waste the cats time.
They will go away as soon as everyone ignores them which I plan to do in the future. We are better than that.

70 Cowellian February 18, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Middle of the Road@75,
Thank you for sharing that.

71 mika February 18, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Boy did this thread get off track. . .

72 Huh? February 18, 2014 at 9:52 PM

@ Middle of the Road–75

Did you read his 100 comment thesis when someone accused him of being domineering? Nothing can happen on Claycord without him interfering. He alienates people all the time. Just ignore him. A lot of people do.

73 Antler February 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Pish-tosh and boulder dash! Just think of what all the talented Claycord photographers could do with flying cats exploding from the cave into the sunrise!!! ;-)

74 Cowellian February 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM

That was a pretty awesome thesis, but I didn’t write it.

75 Antler February 18, 2014 at 10:12 PM

No, Autocorrect! That should have stayed “balderdash”! And Antler apologizes for not staying clam and remembering to proof read before hitting “Submit”.

76 Better than Y'all February 18, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Utterly appalling!

77 anon February 19, 2014 at 1:27 AM

ok, then who’s the narcissist?
james, very perceptive of you.
i knew it. nobody is real, just one creative writer.

78 anon February 19, 2014 at 1:29 AM

oh, couldnt get maurey, but jerry said he’ll come.

79 Atticus Thraxx February 19, 2014 at 4:33 AM

Balderdash? Antler! That kind of language may violate Mayor’s terms of use!