PHOTOS: Volunteers Plant 56 Trees on Saturday at the Boatwright Sports Complex

February 16, 2014 16:43 pm · 24 comments

tree9

Dozens of volunteers in Concord joined a nationwide effort on Saturday to plant over 1,700 trees across the country, and 56 of those trees were planted at the Boatwright Sports Complex off Pine Hollow Rd.

The tree planting project was sponsored by “Invest from the Ground Up”, a program of the California Urban Forest Council. The City was awarded a grant from the sponsor to cover the cost of the trees.

When the newly-planted 56 trees mature, they will provide shade, beautify the area, and remove 2.13 tons of CO2 and 560 lbs. of pollutants from the air every year.

Thanks to all those who volunteered, and thanks to Arnel Jaime for the pictures from the event!

1 EdiBirsan February 16, 2014 at 4:57 PM

We actually had to take one tree back as the hole for it had too much water in it. But it is great to see so many people take an interest in it.

I hope to get the nearby Valley Oak which is around 400 years old I am told, as one of the Historic Trees of record in the city.

2 Huzza!!! February 16, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Hope springs eternal, as these trees will grow,
so should the spirit of cooperation, and community
involvement.

3 KJ February 16, 2014 at 5:44 PM

What kind of trees were planted?

4 Home from Church February 16, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Awesome! I wish I would’ve know about this. I LOVE community service…..

5 LM February 16, 2014 at 6:31 PM

A synergetic project for all of those involved. The often overlooked social and financial benefits of urban forestry are well documented and should be better practiced worldwide.

Agroforestry and permaculture can be applied on any type of soil in any environment!

6 Silva February 16, 2014 at 7:52 PM

@EdiBirsan, that sounds like a marvelous idea! We’ve lost way too many of them.

7 Jorge February 16, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Were you there, Mayor?

8 Antler February 16, 2014 at 8:12 PM

What a huge turnout! Special cheers and thanks for the Cubs, Scouts, and for the parents who saw to it that the young people could go help.

9 PC February 16, 2014 at 8:34 PM

A noble effort by volunteers! Trees contribute so much to the quality of life. How nice it would be if citizens could begin to help with the establishment of shade trees on the Naval Weapons site. It takes time for trees to grow in size and stature!

10 J. February 16, 2014 at 8:51 PM
11 Always Right February 16, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Ok, so I have to ask the obvious question:

How are these trees going to be irrigated?

New plantings require a lot of surface watering until their roots go deep. I am hoping this area is irrigated with well water and will not face supply cuts during our drought.

12 Local Volunteer February 16, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Great job by the volunteers yesterday!!! I live in Crystyl Ranch and I walk every day. I usually go through Boatwright and EVERY TIME I walk there the City of Concord employees are sitting in their trucks talking to each other. Doesn’t matter if it’s 9am, noon, 2pm, etc. One time I took some pictures and the worker in the truck ducked down. It’s a perfect park for workers to hide out. I guess we’ll need to volunteer again and fix the bathrooms, maintain the soccer fields, etc. and anothe part of me wants to apply to be a city worker for Boatwright so I can sit around all day….

13 anonymous February 16, 2014 at 9:42 PM

All the trees are planted too close together.

14 EdiBirsan February 16, 2014 at 10:18 PM

The city has a regular watering program for the new trees.

15 Home from Church February 16, 2014 at 10:34 PM

J. #10, thanks for the link. I believe the Mayor does an excellent job informing people what’s going on in the community.

Until lately, I haven’t had (or made) the time to check Claycord. I will continue to do so……

16 bigdaddy February 17, 2014 at 6:58 AM

nice!!!! the tress look great!

17 Dr. Jellyfinger® February 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I guess when Cub Scouts help out it’s OK but when Brownies help out it gets deleted? That’s not very PC.

18 WC February 17, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Where is BAAQMD? They should be promoting / organizing this type of activity across the bay area. But no, they will just create commercials and measure “air quality” then tell everyone not to burn a fire. How do we take their funding and do something worthwhile with it?

19 RD February 17, 2014 at 11:09 AM

@Dr. Jellyfinger – Maybe if you have pictures of the Brownies helping, you could send them to Mayor. It’s nice that so many people showed up to help.

20 KJ February 17, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Again, I ask: What kind of trees?

I see trees all over Concord and wish I knew their name. I often think it would be nice if they had identifying tags on them so kids (and adults) could learn to identify them.

21 Mr. S February 17, 2014 at 6:40 PM

It was a great event for the community and more than half the volunteers were Scouts. There were all kinds of scouts helping from Girl Scouts of all ages, Cub Scout, and Boy Scouts. I wish we had more of these types of events all over our Mt. diablo Area. Outstanding Job all and thank you for those who put this together.
Bravo…..

22 The lorax February 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM

KJ, valley oaks, October Glory Maple, Washinting Hawthorn and Chitalpa.

23 KJ February 18, 2014 at 11:46 AM

The loran — Thank you. Those should be beautiful!!

24 Terry Kremin February 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM

All for new trees, and I salute the city for actually taking interest in this, but I find it interesting that they are being added to one of already nicest parks in the city, while other parks, and general areas of the city (Monument corridor, Sun Terrace areas, etc), are in far more serious need of improving.

There is also a great initiative to start planting fruit trees in public places instead of ornamental trees, so that there is a return on the investment and water used. The fruit is freely available to all people, and I am sure our local Lemon Lady would love to help make sure the fruit goes to good use!

Hopefully in the future the city will start considering this initiative as well.