DeSaulnier Introduces Bill to Ease Sexual Assault Victims’ Access to Counseling

February 15, 2014 13:00 pm · 7 comments

This week Senator Mark DeSaulnier (D-Concord) introduced SB 978 to ease the process for sexual assault victims to receive counseling services.

SB 978 will allow medical providers to notify rape counseling centers when a victim is transported to the hospital for a medical evidentiary exam, upon approval by the victim. Under current law, only law enforcement officers can contact counseling centers for victims.

“Sexual assault victims have already suffered physical and emotional trauma, this bill will make it easier for them to get the counseling services they need,” Senator DeSaulnier said. “This bill ensures that medical providers, and not just law enforcement, can directly contact counselors for sexual assault victims. We need to reduce as many burdens faced by victims as possible. I thank Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O’Malley for her leadership and her sponsorship of this important bill to protect victims.”

“I am proud to sponsor SB 978, a bill that makes a very small change in the law but a huge change for victims of sexual assault,” Alameda County District Attorney Nancy O’Malley said. “This new law will enable medical providers to notify rape counseling centers whenever a victim is transported to the hospital for a medical evidentiary exam. Currently, a law enforcement officer must make the call to the counseling center; however, not all sexual assault victims wish to interact with law enforcement while at the hospital. Adding this simple language to allow medical professionals to call the center creates a more seamless process for victims of sexual assault many of whom are already suffering from trauma, fear, and a loss of privacy and dignity. I commend Senator DeSaulnier for being a statewide leader on advocating for victims.”

{ 7 comments }

1 Boneguy1 February 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Sounds a bit inconsistent or maybe not? Didn’t he vote to let little boys use little girls bathrooms in our schools? Maybe he is anticipating more “victims”! – so Uncle Mark can save the day!

This guy is a pathetic hypocrite.

2 Matt The Brat February 15, 2014 at 3:45 PM

Go to hell DeSaulnier. I hate your existence.

3 The Turth Hurts February 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM

This bill sounds good to me. I’ve never been a victim, and I have a lot of respect for law enforcement. But if I was a victim of sexual assault, I wouldn’t want to talk to the police.

The last people I would want to interact with in the hospital would be law enforcement, male or female. They’re not in a “touchy, feely” business.

4 Silva February 15, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Sounds like a positive. From what I’ve recently learned of the “rape kit” process, which is intrusive and lengthy, subjects of this violation need the help, the sooner the better.

5 Enough February 15, 2014 at 10:02 PM

DeSaulnier,
Please just enforce the laws on the books. Stop show boating and writing more laws. Victims need to talk to law enforcement so they can catch the perpetrators and save others from becoming victims.
And there are special officers for rape victims already in place.

6 Yhe Phantom February 16, 2014 at 4:47 PM

- State Senator Mark DeSaulnier for Congress 2014 – the Good Concord Solution as our leadership voice in Washington.

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_DeSaulnier
- http://sd07.senate.ca.gov/contact
- http://www.markdesaulnier.com/

- For a list of his wide spread and diverse supporters:
- http://followthemoney.org/database/StateGlance/contributor_details.phtml?&c=137483&s=CA&y=2012&summary=0&so=a#sorttableSolution!

7 Union puppet February 16, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Oh how noble yet he refuses to do anything in regards to transit workers strikes. Everyone that refuses to ban transit strikes will be getting a no vote from me here on out!!!!