ALERT: Occupants of U-Haul Truck Seen Stealing Mail from Joan Ave. Mailboxes

February 15, 2014 · 24 comments

If you live on Joan Ave. in Concord, be sure to check your mailbox.

A U-Haul truck was seen driving up and down Joan Ave. just before 3am on Saturday, and the passenger was running alongside it looking into mailboxes.

Remember, always take the mail out of your mailbox!

1 Anonymous February 15, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Put in a locking box about 6 months ago after I found a pile of mail near a bush while out walking one day on San Vincente Dr. Too close to home.

2 KAD February 15, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Also, do NOT put outgoing mail in your mail box. It is not only thieves you need to worry about because the postal workers mess this up. One time my neighbors outgoing mail got delivered to my mailbox.

3 bz February 15, 2014 at 3:48 PM

That sounds suspiciously like some former tenants. That seems like something they would do.

4 ACC February 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM

There is a uhaul parked on Joan Ave and Slater Court right now. it has been there since yesterday. Not sure who is belongs to.

5 The Turth Hurts February 15, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I’m sorry, but this made me laugh! A U-Haul “mail shopping” at 3 a.m. is priceless!

Get a locking mailbox (it works for us), and remember to pick up your mail.

How much mail were they planning on getting that they felt they “needed a U-Haul?”

6 Anon February 15, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I no longer put any outgoing mail in my mail box since I found my mortgage payment in my neighbor’s bushes! Dang Mail Man (yes, it was a man!)

7 Lake February 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM

This is going on all over – If they find mail (ads) they don’t want they put the unwanted mail in another box down the road. People then assume the mail person made a
Mistake.

8 Schmee February 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM

The only time a mail bomb would be a good thing…

9 Father Flannigan February 15, 2014 at 5:45 PM

DO these low life forms know it is a Federal Crime?????

10 Anonymous February 15, 2014 at 7:37 PM

It shouldn’t be too hard to figure out who rented the U-Haul (or who borrowed a U-Haul from his place of business).

11 grewah February 15, 2014 at 7:58 PM

This damn U Haul was parked for a while in the Lutheran Church parking lot on Clayton Road (the church just past Salvation Army Church). Then it was parked behind some houses further down the street. I figured it was stolen. This reminds me, I need to check my mail.

12 dilligafman February 15, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Shoot on sight!-just consider it”thinning the herd”.

13 Candy land February 16, 2014 at 2:29 AM

Stealing mail at 3 am in the morning! Lol

14 Interesting February 16, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I saw this U Haul and the people driving it. The first time at the gas station on the corner of Willow Pass & Farm Bureau. There were 3 people, 2 guys and a lady and they had been drinking and got into a fight. I called Concord P.D., when the larger of the 2 guys got behind the wheel and turned left onto Farm Bureau in no condition to drive. Nothing happened, no police and a drunken driver just drove off. The license plate was from another state, and it was the smaller U Haul. I bet it was stolen from another state and I bet they’re living in it. The second time it was parked in the Diablo Foods parking lot for a couple of days. I’ll keep an eye out for it again.

15 The Police cannot contact these people without probable cause..... February 16, 2014 at 1:39 PM

or if they have a box of Doughnuts.

16 Rob February 16, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Dang – those are some optimistic thieves bringing a U-Haul truck with them…

17 lindseypinzy83 February 16, 2014 at 5:43 PM

I’ve been extremely irritated with the mailboxes on my street all along farm bureau rd, down chestnut and clayton way every morning driving I see every single mail box sitting wide open, these aholes have enough nerve to leave them open, so we know straight up they’ve been touching our property, and don’t care. I’ve noticed more lock boxes on farm bureau, ill be purchasing one asap! Scumbags!

18 @#16 February 16, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Wrong, but thanks for playing amateur-ACLU-guy. The police do NOT need probable cause to just contact someone. They can detain based on reasonable suspicion. They can arrest based on probable cause.

19 Constant Reader February 16, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Whoever saw this at 3 a.m. on Saturday should have called the CPD right then – this is obviously not something legitimate.

20 Monkey February 16, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I ride my bike to work and I always see mail thrown on the ground. Please, everyone, don’t wait to be victim, purchase a locking mailbox. Will be a very useful purchase, get rid of these jerks.

21 iluvfriedchicken February 17, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Please make a police report if this happens to you. It’s easy. You can just go online and do it.

22 You can cut a slot into you garage door February 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM

hinged covers are available at ACE, HD, Lowes…..$20-$30

23 Jose February 17, 2014 at 1:07 PM

@23,
If you’re going to do that, call the post office first and see if the mail carrier will actually get out of the truck to deliver to your mail slot. They may require you to have a mailbox out by the street.

24 Sid February 17, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Any suggestions on which locking mailbox to buy and which to avoid? I’m looking for one to replace the one that hangs on the wall of my porch, by the front door.