Debris on H-24 Flattens Tires on About 20 Vehicles this Morning

February 14, 2014 · 22 comments

Metal debris in the roadway on westbound state Highway 24 in Lafayette caused flat tires to about 20 cars and ruptured a fuel tank on one of the vehicles this morning, a California Highway Patrol officer said.

The debris was reported on the highway at about 5:45 a.m. near the Central Lafayette off-ramp and caused numerous cars to pull to the shoulder with flat tires, CHP Officer Eric Anderson said.

The debris also ruptured the one gas tank, causing fuel to spill onto the roadway, according to the CHP.

Crews had cleared the roadway of debris at 7 a.m., Anderson said. He did not know exactly what the debris was that caused damage to the cars.

No one was injured in the incident, Anderson said.

1 iwasthere February 14, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Yep, drove over something myself. Looked like part of a bumper. Guess I was one of the lucky ones. At the time, saw about 9 cars pulled over to the side. Great way to start a Friday/Long weekend :(

2 JET February 14, 2014 at 8:41 AM

I drove through there right when this was happening, it was bizarre to see all those cars pulling off the road with flat tires! Fortunately I was able to get through without any flats on my car.

3 Grrrrrr February 14, 2014 at 8:54 AM

I hope somebody speaks up and they catch the responsible! It appears there are many drivers to reimburse.

4 Silva February 14, 2014 at 9:05 AM

Good grief!

5 Buddy February 14, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I counted 19 in the area, then 1 right before the tunnel and 2 after the tunnel, not sure if the ones by the tunnel are related.

6 Russ February 14, 2014 at 9:42 AM

This story as been brought to you as a Public Service Announcement by BART. Sick of all these problems on the road? Well then BART and you’re there! (Please be advised, immunization records are now being checked for all passengers)

7 The Grant February 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM

Perhaps a hauler with no secure bed cover caused this?

Last year on highway 24 a painters tarp was kicked up from the ground by the vehicle in front of me, tore off my drivers side mirror and scratched my hood. Always be vigilant out there….

8 Can_I_Get_A - February 14, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Oh, wow – went through at this time also and wondering why all the cars were pulled over – had to be 20 of them within a mile. Thanks to the mayor for keeping us informed.

9 cs February 14, 2014 at 9:50 AM

My dad was towing his boat through this mess. Luckily he was in the right lane and all of the action was on the left.

10 Antler February 14, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Oh, nooooooooo! It has started……small parts running interference for the great fire hydrant migration………….

11 carebear February 14, 2014 at 10:19 AM

cornsnakes trying out new body armor?

12 The Closer February 14, 2014 at 11:32 AM

@Carebear

Hahahaha, I was thinking razorback cornsnakes. It is their mating season I believe.

13 TowGirl February 14, 2014 at 11:36 AM

It was one large piece of metal in the road.

14 Ted K., Supermax February 14, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Yhe Phantom’s did it.

He detests people actually going to work and not relying on government hand outs or unemployment.

15 Antler February 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM

Michelle at #12 ……. Guess you have not been following the fire hydrant articles and jokes! It was a JOKE !!! I will remind Antler to use a smiley face ALWAYS! :-)

16 Elwood February 14, 2014 at 1:52 PM

@ Russ #6

And if you should be so unfortunate as to encounter a BART cop ask him please not to taze or shoot you.

Disband incompetent BART pretend police now!

17 chalkboy8 February 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I had a major tire blow out and collision on Friday in the same area. Could this situation be related?

18 chalkboy8 February 14, 2014 at 2:16 PM

I meant on Monday not Friday.

19 Antler February 14, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Michelle, lol….now the game is for me to decide whether yours is a TRUE smiley face….or a SARCASTIC one! Whichever kind it is, I hope you have a happy Valentine’s day, too!

20 Jerk February 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM

The Daily Flip.
Really now!? Not one person out of the SEA of vehicles on Hwy 24 managed to get the license plate???

21 auto rescue February 14, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Towgirl was right it was a big heavy pice of metal. To put the main story straigh it was cleared at around 6:05 am after I saw a tow truck block traffic I rush out to grab it. Right at the Saint Stephens road exit. Cars were scattered all the way to San Pablo damn road exit. There was a lot of team work out there by complete strangers to help everyone get back on the road. Thanks America tow am service truck for the help changing tires.

22 Patrick February 15, 2014 at 1:59 AM

So I’m not sure if this has anything to do with the metal debris, but driving home from SF at 1AM on Friday morning, my passengers and I noticed a HUGE car fire on the opposite side of the freeway around College Ave in Berkeley. It was in excess of 15 feet high, and honestly looked like BART was on fire until I noticed the CHP lights flashing among the smoke. Is it possible a car was hit around lafayette and then lost bits and pieces along the way until igniting after the Caldecott? I still haven’t seen any news reports of the car fire, which is incredibly surprising because of how horrendous it looked.