CONCORD: CHP Chase Ends in Crash on Willow Pass Rd. Off-Ramp from I-680

February 13, 2014 · 30 comments

craig

craig2

craig3

A high-speed chase involving the California Highway Patrol ended in a crash that has caused the closure of the Willow Pass Road off-ramp from southbound Interstate Highway 680 in Concord, according to the CHP.

The chase began on Interstate Highway 80 in Pinole and ended in the crash just before 9am, according to the CHP.

There were no injuries reported, and there is no estimate yet for when the ramp will reopen.

Motorists are advised to expect delays and avoid the area.

photo credit: Craig Cannon – for use only on Claycord.com

1 Chevrolet girl February 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Great pics, thanks Craig!

2 Silva February 13, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I hope no other drivers were injured, lots of traffic at that hour!

3 aannoonn February 13, 2014 at 10:48 AM

WOW!!! I passed this just after it happened, and I can’t believe there were no injuries!

4 WC February 13, 2014 at 10:49 AM

$20 says the car was stolen.

5 Meth Monsters February 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Stolos & bowlos

6 Bottom Line Gal February 13, 2014 at 11:01 AM

At least there were no injuries…..

7 Mr. Pink February 13, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Perp pics please. Good hate needed.

8 Juli February 13, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Either this chase, or officers on the way to the chase/scene, went down Temple in Pacheco. Scared the crap out of me. I do not like seeing cars traveling at such high speeds going through quiet residential neighborhood… on a street with curves, at a time of day when people are backing out of their driveways to go to work. Ugh.

9 That's what all they CHP were doing on the road... February 13, 2014 at 11:19 AM

I must’ve been just in fron of this, if the timing is right. I was wondering why there were CHP stopped in various places on Hiway 4 with lights on (and some of the officers were out of their cars). WC won $20…

Story below:

10 Dorothy February 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM

No injuries? That means they were obeying at least one law that says to buckle up.

11 Wow February 13, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Long car chase.

12 Idiocracy February 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Well, if your going to steal a car maybe you should choose something with perks like a fast car or a truck that can off road. This person was not bright. Plus never steal its messed up. Personally I feel better working for my goods.

13 JET February 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM

So all of that for a dumpy old Honda Prelude? REALLY? LOL.
I’m sorry but if I ever decide to steal a car, you can bet your a– it won’t be a piece like that! Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Ferrari….. but a HONDA PRELUDE? hahaa…. bet it was some young guy who thought he really had something.

14 WC February 13, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Ok, pay up everyone. Stolen car, has a gun on him… Another $20 says he has prior arrests. Good job cops.

15 warbirds45 February 13, 2014 at 1:16 PM

It look’s like they tried to jump 14′-10” !

16 Another stolen Honda February 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Why drive the #1 stolen car? Buy something nobody wants. It’s just COMMON SENSE!

17 Bottom Line Gal February 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Another Stolen Honda……people drive Hondas and Toyotas because they’re better running vehicles. The Japanese make a better product.

Common sense is driving a better made vehicle, and using an anti-theft device.

Yes, I drive a Honda. I use an anti-theft device, and keep it garaged.

And, no, I’ve never had my vehicle stolen. Any vehicle.

Buying something nobody wants is not common sense. It’s probably junk.

18 More deets February 13, 2014 at 1:54 PM

News outlets reported the car was stolen out of Walnut Creek and the car belongs to the son of a retired CHP officer

19 Elwood February 13, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Poor fellow was just trying to get home to Gun Point.

20 Anonymous February 13, 2014 at 2:32 PM

Is it just me, or does it seem every time we read about a high-speed chase, it’s always the perpetrator/suspect who roles his car?

Are our police officer and highway patrol officers really superior drivers, or are the bad guys really, really bad drivers?

21 Clayton Pete February 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Awesome!
Shame that the criminals were uninjured, though. (Glad no innocents were hurt, of course!) It just means the P.O.S. will be back doing the same thing in a few weeks or so.
Anyway, great job CHP!

22 anonymous February 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Need 12 people for jury duty for this, any volunteers

23 The Observer February 13, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Someday after 99% of those 90s Honda Civics and Preludes have been stolen and crashed the survivors will be valuable collectors’ items.
By the way, playing 10,000 hours of Grand-Theft Auto will not make you competent at high-speed evasive driving.

24 skrab February 13, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I drive a Civic. It has an alarm and wheel lock. I also have insurance. I have never had any problems.

25 Atticus Thraxx February 13, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Not to bag on Hondas but what made this genius think he could evade CHP in one? No do overs, off to the hoosegow with ya!

26 Alex February 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM

he was caught cuz he was driving SOLO in carpool lane. what a moron… its unbelievable.

27 Noflow February 13, 2014 at 6:49 PM

#10 – Thanks for the link to the rest of the story. Perp is 25 with a “long” history of stealing cars and is well known to law enforcement….

28 J. February 13, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Channel-7 says the car was ready to be donated to charity.

29 Not so fast Dorothy February 14, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Dorothy, you may be wrong. Had two friends, husband and wife. She was wearing her seat belt, he was not. She died in the crash at the scene, he walked away without even a scratch. I guess that kind of thinking is “not” true. Did you know police are exempt from wearing their seat belts, seems like a case of do what I say not what I do. They are also allowed to talk on their cell phones while driving. Is the pot calling the kettle black?

30 @ Not so dast Dorothy February 14, 2014 at 10:47 AM

you seem rather ignorant and instigating. Is that your true personality? Stop worrying about what the policies are in order for law enforcement to effectively do their jobs unless you decide to enter the police academy and join them in their dangerous line of work…