VIDEO: Dash-Cam Catches Crash Near Oak Grove & Treat in Concord

February 11, 2014 · 53 comments

This dash-cam video came from a Claycordian who also says “I wanted to share this news story of a car accident I was involved in. Minor injuries. The accident was captured on my dash-cam. This helped the Concord Police determine who was at fault. The accident occurred on Treat Blvd at the Trader Joe’s shopping center light in Concord. The white vehicle ran the red light and entered traffic to the left causing me to t-bone her vehicle.

Does anybody out there have a dash-cam? If so, what kind, and where did you get it?

Dash-cams are becoming an important tool in situations just like this, where it would normally be one person’s word against the other.

Thanks to the Claycordian for sharing the video with us!

1 JET February 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM

This was great! I had no idea until now that dash cams were even available for anyone except law enforcement?! I just looked online and there are a TON of them to choose from.

Great idea!

BTW – that is a TERRIBLE intersection, very dangerous and there are many people who don’t have the patience to wait for the light to turn green, and clearly the driver of the white Le Baron convertible was totally at fault and ran the red light. Glad nobody was hurt!

2 Walnut Creek Resident February 11, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I am getting one. The only thing is I do not want the miserable thieves to break in my car to keep it.

3 Mustang Sally February 11, 2014 at 8:58 AM

This IS a great idea. All good drivers should have one.

4 Blink February 11, 2014 at 9:03 AM

As drivers are more distracted an idea worth pursuing

5 Pied February 11, 2014 at 9:09 AM

The car with the dash cam entered that intersection late on the yellow light. Notice how the light turns red milliseconds later. I’d say that although the fault technically belongs to the other driver, a cautious driver would have stopped at the light and avoided a collision altogether.

(Not saying I’m perfect – I have accidentally run red lights, and demonstrated poor judgement at times – I’m just making an observation)

6 ugh February 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM

the light would have turned red before you made it threw even if you had not hit that car. were you in a hurry?

7 Out House Lawyer February 11, 2014 at 9:19 AM

Yep, the Lebaron went on a red light BUT something is amiss with this picture. Why was the OP going so slow? Was the Lebaron stopped and then went early anticipating the light or moving all the time? I’ve seen this light “quick cycle” many times, was this the case here? I sure would like to see the preceding 10 seconds so we have the whole story.

8 The Grant February 11, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I recommend the GoPro

9 Cal February 11, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Ouch! Nice job with the video. You just cost me $300.00 because now I have to have one.

10 anon February 11, 2014 at 9:39 AM

That’s crazy. Like they were trying to get hit.

@8 Out House Lawyer
You can see the light is still clearly yellow for the car we are viewing from when the collision occurs. He was going the speed of the truck in front of him before it changes lanes. Those lights don’t skip a cycle, even when quick cycling. It looks like the Lebaron was trying to beat the turns of the next cycle rather than wait for them to cycle to them, and didn’t see the car we are viewing from when the truck changed lanes and they decided to go for it.

11 Gargoyle Socks February 11, 2014 at 9:39 AM

People, it isn’t illegal to run a yellow light! The video is as clear, cut and dried as can be. The white car jumped the light. The dash-cam driver had the right of way. It was raining. Maybe the dash-cam driver couldn’t stop safely in time for the yellow light.

12 @9 February 11, 2014 at 9:48 AM

The GoPro is the best out there and it is easy to remove and take with you. I know we can’t have GPS’s installed in the middle of the dash so check the local laws for placement ideas.

13 Momo February 11, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I also was involved in an accident at that intersection a few months ago. A person ran a red light turning left onto oak grove from treat. Our light had been green for awhile so we were not jumping the gun to get through. Both myself and the person in front of me had to slam on our brakes. Unfortunately I rear ended the person. So i was deamed at fault. No damage to my car but the persons bumper cracked. Lost my good driving record because the repairs were over a $1000. It’s very frustrating how people have no regard for safety these days.

14 Ruby Tuesday February 11, 2014 at 9:57 AM

I agree with #5. A cautious driver would have stopped at the light and avoided a collision altogether. Don’t speed up on yellow lights. Slow down and stop, regardless if you’re in a hurry.

What people need to learn is defensive driving.

15 Rob February 11, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Pied February 11, 2014 at 9:09 AM

16 iluvfriedchicken February 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM

@Pied: I noticed that too. I think a good explanation is the White car was trying to time the light. It might be possible the white car’s driver was trying insurance fraud because they could argue that the OTHER car went through a red light. But that won’t fly now because of the dash cam footage.

I tried to get a dash cam, but had a hard time with all the models available.

17 N.C.Biker February 11, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I believe they were both in a hurry. The truck
was well ahead of the camera car.
Both of these people are lucky no one was
more seriously injured. Pushing light changes
and or anticipating light changes are habits
you acquire after years of poor driving habits.
I anticipate this every moment, that’s how I
have survived driving or riding.
Both poor drivers .

18 DJ February 11, 2014 at 10:44 AM

It is technically illegal to ACCELERATE into a yellow light. I got a ticket for it once. I accelerated into the yellow and the oncoming car that was turning left didn’t think I was going to go through and cut right in front of me. I totalled his car since I was going 40 MPH when I hit him. I was in a 1966 mustang, he was in a mazda Miata. My mustang needed about $800 of front end work, his car was toast. We both got tickets, but his was considered the more flagrent violation so he was deemed 75% at fault in the accident and I was deemed 25% at fault. I don’t accelerate into yellows anymore.

19 DJ February 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM

For $65 I an seriously considering getting one for my car. This one got pretty good reviews and it has a screen to view the incident on the spot with law enforcment if needed.

20 nytemuvr February 11, 2014 at 11:05 AM

It looks to me the car that got hit, jumped the green light and timed it to look like the camera dash car was at fault. Insurance fraud IMO, to supplement their SSI, section 8 and food stamps. Need the 5 seconds before impact, why wasn’t that 5 seconds beforehand shown? They may even be a “team” to rip off the insurance company.

21 traffic jam February 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Who starts to enter an intersection on a YELLOW light anyway, I think both drivers were idiots on this rainy day

22 #12 said it best February 11, 2014 at 11:18 AM

But I’d also like to add….. The light was still green as the dash cam driver approached the intersection. Anyone who believes this driver should have been able to completely stop when the light turned yellow is not being realistic. Try it yourself the next time you’re at a similar intersection.

23 Roberto February 11, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Dash cameras are very popular in Russia where insurance fraud is rampant. Many of these videos are posted on YouTube. I have watched quite a few and have learned a lot about defensive driving from seeing the many similar set-ups and resulting collisions. The biggest take away for me was seeing how something some distance (and lanes) away can suddenly become a serious problem. I also learn a lot of Russian obscenities.

24 Grumpy February 11, 2014 at 11:23 AM

The driver in the white car was stopped at a red light and TEXTING or otherwise distracted and not paying attention. The truck you see at the beginning of the video stopped beside the white car and made a LEGAL RIGHT-ON-RED. The movement of the truck woke the driver of the white car up and they proceeded into the intersection on the assumption the light had turned.

This is awful driving and a good example of why you should be alert at all times, even (especially?) when you are stopped at a red light!!!!

25 B February 11, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Anybody remember when there was no traffic light there? Those were some nasty wrecks,,, imagine that white car being hit be someone doing 50

26 KenInConcord February 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM

—– What Movie are you people watching???

The Camera car entered on a yellow, and would have cleared the intersection before it turned red if the collision didn’t happen.

**** @Pied…. you said “the fault technically belongs to the other driver”. It’s clear, One driver entered on a yellow, One driver entered on a RED!!! It’s perfectly clear the Convertible is a fault.

***RUBY TUESDAY….. “Don’t speed up on yellow lights” & “in a hurry” How did you decide this? I see steady speed before the collision. Have you seen a car T-Boned at 40 mph?? This was a minor impact it barely altered the direction of the White car. The camera car stopped at the point of impact!

A 40 mph T-bone?? look at these pictures, taken a little further down Treat. 1.) Cars spun around….. 2.) Crossed divider after impact…. 3.) Heavy Damage to side of the van…… 4.) Air bags deployed…… http://claycord.com/2013/12/04/injury-crash-at-treat-carriage-in-walnut-creek/

**** Speeding?? it clear they were going well under the speed limit.

***** Following the Truck?? The truck had made a right turn and entered Treat from the same direction the Convertible did.

I’M BUYING A CAMERA BECAUSE I DON’T WANT TO RELY ON PEOPLE LIKE YOU AS A WITNESS.

27 bring back sanity February 11, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Good grief, our whole lives are on camera. We are a really sick society now,
A bunch of angry people trying to catch others and turn them in to feel better
about theirr nasty lives or taking photos on cell phones every second instead of enjying the actual moment.
We should all just wear cameras on our foreheads and call it a day.

28 BagsFlyFree February 11, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Remember these can also be used as motion cameras when parked as well. These mixed with home security cameras can capture enough footage to ID perps pretty clearly.

BFF Out!

29 Derpy East Bay Drivers February 11, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I have a GoPro as my dashcam. They are great because if I do get in an accident they are extremely durable and will still have the data. I have seen so many reckless drivers, carpool lane cheaters, near misses and even crashes. Contracts are to protect you from being sued, dashcams protect you from being scammed.

30 Nick February 11, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Gopro is the best I have two. One is always in the truck with me.

31 ANNONeeemoose February 11, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Ken, really? You saw steady speed on a 4 second video? It is clear they were in a yellow, which does indicate the white car entered in red, but seriously now, there’s no way to know in those 4 seconds we were offered to know anything about speed. In fact, why don’t we get to see more leading up to the collision?

32 Percy February 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Being an African-American in this area, a dash cam is a necessity to stay alive and out of jail. I have two; one is visible and the other is hidden. Both are pointing into the cabin of my car. I have brought the footage to court with me to prove cops were lying. My cameras have saved me thousands of dollars and, perhaps, saved my life.

33 Mary Fouts February 11, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Thanks for everyone’s input. I have also heard positive review about GoPro, not as a dash cam, but from people who have used them for outdoor activities, including water sports and bicycling. Durable and reliable. I have thought about getting one to attach to my bicycle helmet.

34 KenInConcord February 11, 2014 at 2:09 PM

@ANNONeeemoose…. I totally agree with you, There is very little video before the collision. I can to see a split second of “steady speed” What I don’t see is “running the yellow”, “speeding and blowing the light”, “entered that intersection late”.

But we can see from the impact was minimal, speed was slow, and had the collision not happen the camera car would have cleared the intersection before the light turned red.

35 Don D February 11, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Thank you all for the feedback. If you want to see the 14 seconds clip you will see I entered the intersection on a green.

You do not need to login to facebook to view.

36 The Observer February 11, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Those of you who say the dash cam driver was at fault are idiots and need to get your eyes checked. Especially you who say it was insurance fraud…lol…I saw the whole thing. I spoke to the police and afterward I spoke to the driver of the white car. She CLEARLY ran the red light. When I spoke to her she told me she saw the car in front of her go so she thought the light was green. She said she was distracted because she just found out she might have cancer. She was sobbing. I felt so sorry for her, but she clearly admitted to me and the police that she honestly didn’t know if the light was red or green. The light had just turned yellow when dash cam car entered the intersection. And, if you actually watch the video, the light doesn’t turn red until after the impact. When the police spoke to the driver of the dash cam car, he viewed the video and stated that it was clearly her fault. Fortunately, neither driver needed medical attention. Wouldn’t you think that if the dash cam car was going too fast, the lady who got T-Boned would need medical attention? She did not. This was a low speed impact. Dash cam car couldn’t have been going more that 25mph, as I overheard him tell the police that he was planning on turning into the TJ’s Parking Lot at the next inlet.

***Insurance Fraud…..Seriously? Why would a souped up 40k car purposely hit a beat up old Lebaron? Get a life

37 H February 11, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I use a Mobius Dash Cam. Cost me about $60. It’s very small and came with dash/window mount hardware. I never leave home without it. It automatically turns on with accessory power in my car and it automatically stops recording 30 seconds after the car has been turned off.

The Mobius has a wide angle lens and works extremely well, even for night driving. Techmoan did a review of it, which can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M Incidentally, it’s worth checking out techmoan’s youtube channel, as he has done numerous excellent dash cam reviews.

I use a 64GB Class 10 MicroSD in it, which will hold 8-9 hours of 1080p 30FPS footage. I also have a backup 32GB MicroSD in case I forget to clear clear off the 64GB card before it gets full. MicroSD cards are nice and cheap now.

So far, this is a pretty great dash cam. I gave my dad one as a gift for xmas and he’s a big fan of it. He uses it in his car, on his bicycle, and on his ATV.

38 Craig Cannon February 11, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Even if Turning Red, it’s Still The Responsibilty of The Drivers Leaving a Light Change, to Insure The Intersection is Clear before Proceeding. That’s How I Remember It. Unless the Light Was Running Green Early For The Car Passing in Front, The Video Shows a Yellow, So The Other Car Would Still Be Red Obviously. Amber Alert Just Coming over EDIS Oh No. That’s my Unofficial Take from a Video Expert.

39 Beanerman February 11, 2014 at 3:56 PM

dashcams are a good idea, period. those of the dimwitted variety (i.e., post #27) will never understand that in many cases, dashcams not only prove fault of who caused an accident, but can be used to track down road rage monsters who too often infest our society. and what about a hit and run case? dashcams are definately a plus in those instances.

40 anonanonagain February 11, 2014 at 4:05 PM

@ Don D. Thanks for posting more footage of your approach to that intersection. A dash cam seems like a necessity these days. Clearly the white convertible was at fault. What were they thinking blowing through a RED??? Whoever was driving obviously wasn’t paying attention and when the car to their right proceeded to turn, which was perfectly legal, they must have assumed it was their time to go as well. Idiot…..

41 @ Pied February 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM

You are so WRONG! What video are you watching? Tha light goes from yellow to red a full 3seconds into the video, not miliseconds like you claim. And the Victim driver is clearly in the intersection before the light is even red so how can someone on the right leave their red light early? Their light is not green until that full 3 seconds after the Victim’s light went from yellow to red? AND if a car is traveling 25+ MPH approaching an intersection and the light turns yellow just before or at the exact time he enters it, how is he in the wrong? The yellow is just a warning that light is about to turn red. Therefore when traveling at 25+ mph as you begin to enter an intersection that is just turning yellow means you have to finish going through the intersection. Do you expect him to stop? He would not have been able to stop before the intersection at that rate of speed…you are ludicrous. The Victim has control of the intersection if he is in it when it turns yellow. I LEARNED THAT YESTERDAY ON TRAFFIC JAMMIN”…check for yourself. HE IS NO WAY AT FAULT. Thank goodness you are not a judge.

42 WOW February 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Running a yellow light in the rain.

43 anon February 11, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Yes the dash cam driver had a right to drive through the yellow. Was it worth it to exercise that right? Look where it got them.

44 NoMoreFreeRide February 11, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Car with the camera had the right-of-way period! The white car entered the intersection while having a red light. End of story!

45 Anon February 11, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Save your Money, Don’t buy a Designer GoPro brand.
Ebay $150 and less: V1000GS, V2000GS or GS1000

Here’s a V1000 – Watch in 1080 HD
Red light Runner Willow Pass:
Zombies of Walnut Creek:
Train:

46 Mom of the Horde February 11, 2014 at 6:09 PM

If you look at the video that Don posted on facebook, you’ll see that the light was green when he entered the intersection, and even if it HAD been yellow, sometimes you have to make a judgement call on whether you can safely stop while the light is yellow or whether you should just keep going.

Either way. the white car clearly ran the red light.

47 Some eyes need to be checked here February 11, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Wow-even with clear video there are people that make up stories about what happened. The victim does not run a yellow. In fact, there is no such thing. It is only illegal to enter an intersection if your light is red. You can “run a yellow” till the cows come home and it’s all good. Regardless, he is in the intersection before or at the exact time it turns yellow. The victims light does not even turn red until after the collision occurs!!!! WATCH AGAIN AND SEE!!
Thus, the driver on the right obviously has a red light that has obviously been red for a while so therefore, it can be determined that they purposefully entered the intersection on a red light. They weren’t even trying to beat a light change, they just simply approached a steady red and kept driving. FAIL!

And to those who think the victim is in the wrong or trying to do something dangerous, you are also FAILS! This is not rocket science. Lol

48 James February 11, 2014 at 11:13 PM

I simply use my phone. The Galaxy S 4 has a great camera. Windshield mount + video mode = instant dash cam.

49 @47 February 11, 2014 at 11:56 PM

Of course you’re assuming the light was working perfectly and was red. Maybe…. Maybe not.

50 Duck February 12, 2014 at 6:27 AM

The light was clearly yellow for at least two seconds after the collision .
A car moving 25 mph can travel 76 feet in two seconds.
How wide is the average street lane 15 feet ?
The person with the dash cam clearly has nothing to worry about at all , Besides whether or not the driver of the white car has auto insurance.

51 valiii February 12, 2014 at 3:21 PM

If the pavement is wet, don’t stop for a yellow light! The car behind you might rear-end you, due to the slippery pavement. It is legal to go thru a yellow light! Even if an accident is not your fault, it’s such a pain to deal with the repairs, etc.! Also, try not to follow behind a truck, since you need to see what’s ahead.

52 Anon February 12, 2014 at 5:59 PM

H #37, Thanks for the Mobius advice. I’m going to try that for my motorcycle and RC plane.

53 Z-Man February 13, 2014 at 5:17 AM

Don D, and Mayor and Team: KPIX featured the theme of this story, and the dashcam footage last night. Congrats on getting the word out

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/video/9834901-sales-of-dashboard-cameras-on-the-rise/ (about 30 seconds in)