ALERT: Bay Area Company Recalls 8.7M Pounds of Meat

February 10, 2014 14:51 pm · 31 comments

A Petaluma-based company recalled more than 8.7 million pounds of meat produced over the last year that may not have been adequately inspected and could cause consumers to become seriously ill or even die, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service.

The Rancho Feeding Corporation “processed diseased and unsound animals” without the passing federal inspection, FSIS officials said in a public statement.

The recalled meat, which was produced between Jan. 1, 2013 and Jan. 7, 2014 was shipped from the Rancho Feeding Corporation located at 1522 Petaluma Blvd. North in Petaluma to distributors and retailers located in California, Florida, Illinois and Texas.

Among the recalled meat products that have been determined unfit for human consumption are items such as beef tongue, beef carcasses, and veal cuts, FSIS officials announced.

In January 2014 Rancho Feeding Corporation recalled 42,103 pounds of product that also had not been sufficiently inspected, making it unfit for human consumption, the FSIS said.

While no reports of illness resulting from consumption of the company’s meat products has been reported to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, anyone who may have consumed these products and are concerned about illness should contact a health care provider, FSIS officials said.

A list of the specific products that were recalled as well as details about how to identify recalled items can be found online by clicking HERE.

{ 31 comments }

1 Lanny February 10, 2014 at 2:59 PM

Crap! Now I have to go and return that 30 lb. box of beef lips I have in the fridge.

2 anon February 10, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I’m glad that I stopped eating beef years ago.

3 Steve Jobson February 10, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Now we know where the “beef” is.

Sorry, bad 80s commerical reference.

4 WC February 10, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Makes me hungry for a nice steak. I like beef as part of a well rounded diet.

5 Mark February 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Sounds like wholesale stuff to taquerias.

6 KJ February 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM

The Santa Rosa Press Democrat has a good article about this: http://pressdemocrat.com/article/20140209/articles/140209551

In reading that article and the comments to that article, I have to wonder what this is all about.

It doesn’t affect me since I don’t eat meat, but for those who do and like to try to buy locally raised meat, this is a problem.

7 Trust Us February 10, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Wow FEDs right on top of it, 30 DAYS late.
Is that what government considers timely notification?

8 anonanonagain February 10, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Another sound reason to become a vegetarian. The way that so many of these “processing” plants raise, handle, alter and process the meat is scary. You have to take matters into your own hands and really watch what you are consuming what you eat. It’s getting more difficult each day……

9 Thank goodness February 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM

no corn snakes were involved, or squirrels.

10 Bar-B-Que February 10, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Buy Bio-rad stock. When another case of Mad Cow Disease is discovered, the stock goes up.

11 TinFoiler February 10, 2014 at 4:59 PM

“processed diseased and unsound animals” without the passing federal inspection.
It’s because they DID NOT pay the inspection fee. TRUST ME, this happens more than you can imagine – FSIS does allow that TRASH into the food supply for public consumption. Garbage in today…………………..blocked arteries, heart disease, cancers and sickness later.

12 Does blame lie with Rancho Feeding February 10, 2014 at 5:09 PM

or USDA. Either way, somebody needs to go to Jail.

13 Silva February 10, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I’m not going to click on the HERE this time. No siree!

14 Reality Slap February 10, 2014 at 6:08 PM

So basically all the meat you may have purchased and eaten last year from this company…..

15 Interesting February 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM

One of the many reasons people need to follow the news……

16 anon February 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Vegetarians don’t have to worry about illnesses from meat consumption. Poor, suffering cows being slaughtered really doesn’t sound apperizing to me. Hmmm, countless acres of land and resources to grow the grain to be harvested and processed and shipped to feed the cattle, which are then shipped to be processed (slaughtered and butchered) to distribution centers for end purposes of human consumption. Why not just eat the grain first rather than letting its nutrition come to us second-hand?

17 anon February 10, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Don’t ever, ever eat anything that used to have a face!

18 anon February 10, 2014 at 8:39 PM
19 mika February 10, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Who buys that stuff on he list? I don’t even know what some of the items are!

20 Waldo February 10, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Oh no! A possible shortage in bull testicles? Mountain oysters… lol

21 Russ February 11, 2014 at 5:51 AM

…..checking freezer for beef lips…..whew! none in there.

22 Omnivores February 11, 2014 at 6:35 AM

All you “veggies” out there need to realize
humans are omnivores . A healthy well balanced
diet includes animal fat. That being said, we
need to monitor how we dispatch our live stock.
How we treat them is important ( kosher) laws
as an example. Don’t you recall how many
people were made sick by tainted spinach
last year, and salad mixes. No one was reported
to have gotten sick. But after seeing the facility
in question , I was shocked it was in Petaluma
and not somewhere in say, Mexico .

23 Anna February 11, 2014 at 7:28 AM

One more reason why I stopped eating meat and became a vegetarian last year….. watch ‘Food Inc’ on Netflix, and you probably won’t eat meat again! A healthy plant-based diet has made a huge difference in my health and mind, its amazing!

24 Jackson Hammer February 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Every time a vegetarian preaches about the evils of meat like some kind of hippy missionary I make sure to eat more meat. Looks like it’s chicken for breakfast, a burger at lunch and a nice fat steak for dinner.

25 Mustang Sally February 11, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Personally I’m omnivorous, and ADORE a good beef tongue, and always have wanted to try mountain oysters. I saw that movie, and it was awful. It is shameful how we treat our “farm” animals. Cattle produce HUGE ammounts of greenhouse gasses, also. Mmm. Getting hungry.

26 Don P - N. Concord February 11, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Eating meat is not unhealthy like the vegetarians believe. What is unhealthy is eating a diet high processed carbs and low in fiber.

27 WhataWaste February 11, 2014 at 12:46 PM

What a waste of lives and food. All the livestock killed for nothing.

I eat very little meat. I eat meat sparingly. When I eat meat, I often thank the animal who lost its life for giving their life for our taste for meat.

28 @29 February 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Not a waste. They were sick and diseased. The bad thing is people ate it. That’s how you get mad cow disease.

29 VikingPrincess February 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM

If you read comments on the article you’ll see theres a political view to the issue and it is seen as a reputable meat business. I worked with a person who retired from there. Only shady pro lem they had was their Union in the 80s wasted retirement. The person I worked with was a victim of this scam and had to return to work. There are laws to protect this now. Not meat related anyways. Good employees.

30 anonanonagain February 11, 2014 at 4:12 PM

@ Omnivores #23, I do know that “veggies” don’t exactly escape the prospect of getting seriously ill from all manner of grains and veggies. Salmonella poisoning is not exactly something I would want. Risks are there for everybody. All I’m saying is you have to be diligent and understand where you are getting your food. Grains are genetically altered by Monsanto etc. , veggies are doused in herbicides and pesticides and many times are watered with fecal matter tainted water from cows, farm animals etc. It’s a crazy world out there…..

31 USDA criminals February 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Since the USDA is deliberately withholding information on the nature of the disease organism, it must be assumed that it is the one that causes Mad Cow Disease. I wish for the complete overthrow of the US government. It exists only to facilitate the crimes of big business.