Injured Coyote Spotted Near Pixieland in Concord on Thursday Morning

February 6, 2014 13:27 pm · 19 comments

An injured coyote has been spotted near Pixieland in Concord.

The following note is from a Claycordian who spotted the coyote this morning:

“Just want to notify you of a small coyote in my area. He is small and looks very skinny and seems to have some sort of small injury on its left hind leg. I notified California Fish & Game but they said there’s not much they can do. I wanted to let you know because it looked very hungry. Plus it is running around the Pixieland area. I live near N.6th and Salvio. I first spotted it running down my street. I could not get a picture due to being on the phone trying to get help.”

1 Clayton Pete February 6, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Poor fella!
But that’s nature, I suppose. Not always nice or pretty. Circle of life, and all that.

2 JET February 6, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Sad. Maybe somehow he will get back to the open space (I assume he wandered there from the CNWS nearby).

3 Do I remember a story February 6, 2014 at 1:39 PM

about a coyote with a bad leg being seen over near Lime Ridge some months ago? I wonder if this is the same creature.

Coyotes always look skinny. With a bum leg, it may be tough to catch critters to eat. He may be more inclined to scavenge.

Needless to say, best keep your pets inside. Never trust a wild animal.

4 phil February 6, 2014 at 1:40 PM

I, and my neighbors near Holbrook and Baker, spotted this coyote this morning and for the past couple days. The coyote prances up and down the streets at will.There are some pets missing, (cats) for a few days. I think this coyote resides in the creek area between Huron and Holbrook Dr., near Baker/Holbrook. The HH homeowners association has been notified and are helping to look into the situation. WATCH YOUR PETS & all.

5 Bruce February 6, 2014 at 1:42 PM

I saw a dead one in the divider going up Ygnacio on the east side of the hill. It was small, skinny, too. I’ve seen quite a few in the area looking for food.

6 The Mamba February 6, 2014 at 1:58 PM

With the drought situation being what it is, animals are going to be pressed further toward humans.

7 Good heart February 6, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Unfortunately for wild life we taken up so much of there territory! It’s harder and harder for them to survive!

8 HH Homeownser Association February 6, 2014 at 2:01 PM

is helping look into the situation? HA! There is nothing they can do. Other than misuse of association money on that boondoggle of a clubhouse, they are impotent.

9 JW February 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Don’t call animal control – they’ll put him/her down. Lindsay Museum is the way to go. They’re good at determining the proper outcome: giving the critter proper care or making the tough decision if the animal is suffering too much.

10 Kodiak February 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM

The coyote probably was at the naval weapons station and wandered over to pixie playland because of the huge pond, he was probably thirsty due to this drought.

11 Momo February 6, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I don’t know if Linsey museum will trap it though? Somebody would have to bring it in

12 chalkboy8 February 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Was a road runner involved?

13 Cowellian February 6, 2014 at 3:12 PM

That would explain the Acme Anvil lying beside the road.

14 Silva February 6, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Lindsey Museum would be a great place to start! 925-935-1978.

15 Coyotes are not cute doggie look-alikes February 6, 2014 at 4:32 PM

they are viscious predators, riddled with disease and parasites. Keep your distance, and don’t shed tears when they are exterminated.

16 Holbrookguy February 7, 2014 at 1:11 PM

RE: HH Association…. Clubhouse is a different issue. ALL avenues need to be taken to resolve this coyote issue. For his/her sake and for the sake of other animals affected, not to mention some pixieland user surprising this animal.
Afterthought…… I think HHAssoc may be looking for board members for those not enchanted with the present board. I think the annual meeting is around the ides of March.

17 Coyote February 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I’m huntin down the man that shot my paw.

18 HolbrookGirl February 9, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Today around 1:00 I was coming back from Safeway and was on Holbrook Drive and saw a coyote running down Holbrook. I had to do a double take because I thought it was a really strange looking dog but then realized it was a coyote. It turned down Reva and was running down the sidewalk and on lawns toward the park. Yikes!

19 What, legally, can a homeowner February 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM

do to protect themselves and their family from a coyote? Stay inside? Call 911 if feeling threatened? Hit the animal with a bat if it gets too close? (Ha, that sounds pretty unbelievable). I know its illegal to fire a gun in the city limits, but I don’t know how that would work if there was a wild animal in your backyard threatening to eat your dog or cat.

Anyone have any ideas?