CAL ISO Asks Californians to Conserve Gas & Electricity Today

February 6, 2014 15:41 pm · 16 comments

The California Independent System Operator has issued a statewide Flex Alert for this afternoon and evening, and state residents are being asked to conserve gas and electricity.

The alert was issued because of a natural gas shortage related to frigid weather in parts of the U.S. and Canada, ISO officials said. The situation is affecting the supply of fuel to California power plants, and the generation of electricity has been reduced.

The plants affected are in Southern California, but officials with the ISO, which manages the state’s power grid, said conservation is being urged statewide to free up power for that region.

1 Wasn't just a few weeks ago February 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

that PG@E was trumpeting the fact that they had a great supply of natural gas that they bought at a “greatly reduced price” last summer and are selling to us at the normal cost?

So what happened to all that cheap gas? Sold to the highest bidder? They make a ton of money and tell us to cut back? Screw the rate payers, that’s the PG@E way.

Sounds about right for PG@E.

2 Anon2you February 6, 2014 at 4:50 PM

No problem I will just have a BIG FIRE in my fireplace tonight!!!

3 Walnut Creek Resident February 6, 2014 at 5:22 PM

OK I will not blow dry my hair.

4 The Closer February 6, 2014 at 5:41 PM

No problem, just use the solar and wind pow…oh wait, it’s not there. Maybe we could use coal. Oh yeah, Prez says no. How about nuclear power? Oh never mind, I’ll just have to throw on another blanket and a couple of more cats.

5 DanMtz February 6, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Sounds like there’s a need for more natural gas storage.

6 typical concord resident February 6, 2014 at 6:29 PM

THANKS LIBTARDS, HOPE U ENJOY FRREEEZING TO DEATH LOL

7 @ "big govt. progressive idiots" February 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM

This is a direct result of government control killing a once free market. In a free market, we would have our massive amounts of crude at our disposal, more natural gas, propane, wood and hydro power from reservoirs that have been blocked by environmental retards for decades. This is a matter of national security. And in the name of climate change and environmental extremism aka corruption (carbon credits-lol), we have been screwed.

We should force these imbeciles to live in tents in Wyoming among the re-introduced wolves. And to be fair and compassionate, give them a little white flag on a stick to waive at them to scare them off. Maybe then, the reality of life on planet earth would penetrate their neanderthal skulls. Or not.

8 anon February 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM

I won’t cook tonight and have a couple of pizzas delivered.

9 anonymous February 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM

SoCal wants our water and now our water and power.

10 Former Midwesterner February 6, 2014 at 9:55 PM

Obviously, you people do not pay any attention to the national news and weather. A large section of the country from the Midwest to the East Coast and from Canada to the Gulf Coast has been experiencing unusually extreme winter weather. There have been an abnormal number of days of frigid temperatures and a number of ice and snow storms this season causing shortages of not only natural gas and propane but also salt used to clear roads.

This is not a situation caused by PG&E, the government or liberals. It is caused by Mother Nature or, dare I say, global warming/climate change.

The comments above are ignorant and insulting to the large part of our country that is dealing with these extraordinary and difficult winter conditions. Instead of ridiculing, try having some knowledge and understanding of the facts and compassion for the large population suffering through this.

11 Former Midwesterner February 6, 2014 at 9:57 PM

#7, @ “big govt. progressive idiots”, you, especially, are the idiot.

12 Dr. Jellyfinger February 6, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I conserved both gas & electricity today!

I only drove a few miles & did not use my headlights…. when I got home I noticed I left the water faucet running all day tho…. so I guess I’m about even.

13 lmcc February 6, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I’ll just wear my non-PC fur coat around the house.

14 out of electricity February 7, 2014 at 6:05 AM

If the powers that be, the utility, would quit dancing to the enviro’s song and dance, we would have plenty of power all the time.
This same message more or less will be coming at us this summer for our air conditioners. This so they don’t have to build any more power plants.
Did you know that Hydro Electric power facilities are not included in the so-called sustainable sources? Wonder why that is?
Wake up folks..

15 zeroc00l February 7, 2014 at 7:08 AM

Well Obama’s war on coal isnt helping us with him shutting down clean burning coal power plants on a weekly basis. I think nuclear would be good if it was done right. Sadly tho when the day comes we have a big enough solar flare and all of the worlds grids go down i wouldn’t want to be anywhere near nuclear power plants… how long will they last before they all melt down? Sorry for my rants i just want people to start thinking about our futures.

16 The4thBore February 7, 2014 at 10:55 AM

There is plenty of space in California, Nevada, and Arizona to power the entire country via solar and wind. It’s time to implement laws that allow private Solar Gardens to be built throughout California to decentralize these monopolies that are hammering restrictions to grow profits and create artificial shortages. Communities need to stand together and realize local power should NOT be affected by national events.

We should be able to lawfully buy zoned land, install power generators, and sell that power on the open market to offset billed power. PG&E forcefully minimizes this supply chain to protect profits and its monopoly. Power producers would gladly pay taxes for power transmission and exchange fees, but PG&E wants it all..

Make a stand and voice your opinion to the CPUC.