The Claycord Online Museum – The DVC “Campus Compass”

February 4, 2014 14:00 pm · 16 comments

Thanks to Carol Putman for these images from the DVC “Campus Compass” from 1960-61 and 1964-65.

Click on the images for a much larger view of the pictures.

Thanks again, Carol!

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

1 Anon2you February 4, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Wow, DVC has come a long way since these photos. I have a child attending DVC now, and I recently had to go to the campus. I noticed how much it has changed since I attended in the mid-80’s…

2 JET February 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM

These are great! Thanks Carol and Mayor for posting these!
This was way before my time at DVC but its cool to see how it used to look.
I kind of wish it was still that way now!

P.S> I wonder if that giant oak tree is still there?

3 anon February 4, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I’ll bet they didn’t charge for parking back then?

This looks like it’s facing from Golf Club Rd. toward Viking. Only buildings I think are still there are 19 (looks like modern cafeteria) and the maintenance building.

4 LostBoysMom February 4, 2014 at 4:57 PM

The gym is the original too. It’s disgusting!

5 RunnerDope February 4, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I think the oak tree is visible in the aerial photo; just to the right of the lower parking lot. Buildings 18 and 19 are still there, but 17 appears to be gone. I remember it from when I was there in the late ’80s to early ’90s. I wonder when they got rid of it.

6 RunnerDope February 4, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Forgot to say that the oak tree looks like it was in what is now the middle parking lot. I don’t remember when they did that but it was quite a while ago.

7 Mr. Pink February 4, 2014 at 7:58 PM

You can tell that it’s old. No one voluntarily calls themselves “Dick’ any more.

8 PH resident February 5, 2014 at 9:05 AM

To #3, sure the parking was free as was everything. At one time, not that long ago, actually, Community Colleges were absolutely free, no tuition.

9 PH resident February 5, 2014 at 9:06 AM

To follow up, Prop 13 put an end to that.

10 AZbunch February 5, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Does anyone remember the swinging pendulum inside what may have been a science building? I think it was some kind of time piece that would knock down wooden pegs as it slowly changed position…we would occasionally try to knock down a peg prematurely…oh, the days before tight security! Pretty young at the time…Our family lived in College Park 1960-1963 and us kids spent many hours roaming through the college…riding our skateboards down an outside hallway that was pretty steep…checking out the large liquid-filled containers with specimens floating…creepy stuff that we kids loved! Good times!

11 anon February 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Do they still have the planetarium?

12 Zorro February 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM

It didn’t look too different from when I started working there in 1969.
Many tin buildings, and some WW2 Quonset huts.

Interesting that it says on the paper it was in Concord Calif.

13 Mac February 6, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Mr Pink…..You are wrong
There are a lot of Men that still go by Dick.
I have 2 at work.
And i just shake my head.
My first name is Richard.
People called me Dick once, the second time we would throw down gloves.

I don`t understand why anyone would want to be called Dick (still shaking my head)

14 Mac February 6, 2014 at 7:13 AM

And by the way…. My last name starts with a Mc (like McDonald`s) so people have called my dad and i Mac for years.
If you were wondering where the Mac came from.

15 Mr. Pink February 13, 2014 at 11:46 AM

@ Mac.

Yeah, I just don’t get the “Dick” thing. I’ve been called that plenty of times without being named Richard. Why would I voluntarily go by that handle?

And I like “Mac,” Mac.

16 Bottom Line Gal February 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM

I had a boss once who’s name was Richard. He told all of his employees “you can call me Dick.”

I called him Rick, and remained gainfully employed for years…..