UPDATE: Concord Resident Needs Help Finding Dog that Bit Her Son – Needs Rabies Vaccination Information Only

February 4, 2014 11:39 am · 50 comments

jpg

Our friends at “Fido Alert – Claycord” were contacted by a Concord resident whose son was bitten by a dog late last week, and now she needs to find the owner to make sure the dog has its rabies shots.

Here’s the info:

We were contacted by a woman whose 10-year-old son was bitten on Thursday by a Bull Terrier on a leash near Thornwood Dr. in Concord. The lady walking the dog did stop & ask if he was ok & he said he was fine. When he got home & told his Mom, she looked at the bite & it had broken the skin (on his leg). She contacted the doctor who said that if they don’t locate the dog owner & find out about the dog’s vaccination status then her son will have to undergo a series of vaccinations over the next few weeks. The Mom informs us that her son has a serious phobia of needles & so she is reaching out to the community to try & locate the dog owner – not to prosecute or pursue legal action against, but to simply ask if her dog is up to date on all of his shots.

If you have any information, please contact fidoalert@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

UPDATE: The dog has been located, and he/she is up to date on all shots.

1 Found February 4, 2014 at 12:16 PM

I’ve been told the owner has been found and the dog is up-to-date on shots.

2 Rummie February 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Dogs who have bitten humans are required to be confined for at least 10 days to see if rabies develops, and if the animal’s vaccination records are not current, a lengthy quarantine or even euthanasia may be mandated. If you’re not sure of the laws in your town, consult your local animal affairs agency.

Post the notice where the dog owner walks,( where your son was bitten). and surrounding houses. Good luck
Chances are so small that the dog has rabies, I would hate to see him have to go through those shots :(

3 Jaded February 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM

Geez… Can you say over-react?!

4 Jaded February 4, 2014 at 12:19 PM

She wants to sue…, bottomline

5 @Found February 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Whew! That is good news. Thanks

6 jtkatec February 4, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Thank goodness. I hear the rabies series of shots is quite painful

7 Judge Roy Bean February 4, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Look for the dog walker around Thornwood, DIanda, WIlson and Glazer.
I have seen her a few different times in area. Usually between 11-3

8 bob February 4, 2014 at 12:28 PM

I’m curious as to what instigated the bite, especially if the child/parent doesn’t know the dogs or the owner.

9 Hate dogs February 4, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Dogs are as evil as their owner. I hope she sue and they get rid of the dog. Now the kid will fear dogs for the rest of his life all because of a bad dog and their owners. Anyone they defends the dog and owner should have their kid bit and see how they still feel about dogs. Have a good day everyone.

10 Atticus Thraxx February 4, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I like dogs better than I like you #9

Free Connie Dobbs

11 Jerk February 4, 2014 at 12:48 PM

How do you let your dog bite somebody – especially under your control on a leash! #9 – you`re clueless.

12 ms.v February 4, 2014 at 12:50 PM

JADED…… Who do you say is over reacting? A mother who is rightfully concerned for her child’s health. 40,000 people in the U.S. are exposed to rabies each year according to statisticbrain.com. It’s out there

I had to have rabies shots in the 60’s. Back then you got them in your stomach.Ouch. Now I believe you get them in the arm.

13 Don February 4, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Dogs save lifes everday, help the blind and disabled as well. Grow a heart “Hate dogs”

14 skrab February 4, 2014 at 1:01 PM

@ 11 It’s pretty easy.

So far, I have been lucky and my dog has not bitten anybody. Kids can do some pretty dumb stuff around dogs. One time a girl who looked to be about 5, who was with her mom, sprinted directly towards me and my dog screaming at the top of her lungs and waving her arms in big circles. My dog growled and lunged at her before she reached us. Another time a 10 year-old boy who was with his mom made weird faces at my dog and did kung fu-style praying mantis moves at my dog. The dog growled and stood on his back legs. In both cases, my dog was leashed. I think the dog really perceived these events as attacks. By law, a dog that is teased or taunted cannot be designated Potentially Dangerous or Vicious.

15 Animal Lover February 4, 2014 at 1:05 PM

at #9 dog hater…
So does that mean if the dog is the sweetest and gentlest creature on earth, they are only as good as their owner? woot woot! I’ve got a service dog that anyone who has met him loves him and makes them feel loved. Me and my kids have all been bitten by some critter because we have owned and loved them all. Horses, cats, birds, hamsters, rats, guinea pigs, lizards, turtles, and of course dogs (we have fish too, but they don’t have teeth). One of us at one time has been bitten by each of those creatures. Oh… and let us not forget the worst biter of all, the human. Something to think on — DOG is GOD spelled backward, He must have really liked them most to use His own name for their species.

16 calco February 4, 2014 at 1:10 PM

I know the mother and she simply needed the info to avoid rabi shots not to sue anybody. The child was riding a scooter.

17 Dorothy February 4, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I’m told rabies shots for dogs is once a year. That it used to be every other year. If the dog hasn’t had updated shots, there could still be a problem.

18 @ Hate dogs February 4, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Please enlighten us as what else you hate.

I bet it’s a long list.

19 @Dorothy February 4, 2014 at 1:32 PM

There is also rabies shot for dogs that’s good for three years. You have to prove your dog is up-to-date on his rabies shot in order to renew his license with the county. I always get the three year shot because that means I can get a license that is good for three years.

20 Root Beer February 4, 2014 at 1:37 PM

Dorothy. I just brought my dog in for his rabis shots. They’re good for three years.

21 Clayton Pete February 4, 2014 at 1:41 PM

I do not know the circumstances in this case, but it is possible that the child and parent are at fault, if the kid ran up to the dog without the owner’s permission and assaulted… I mean, began petting… the animal.
Anyone knows you NEVER approach a dog you do not know, unless the owner advises you it is a friendly animal.
…..Or, maybe it was a vicious animal that simply attacked with zero provocation and needs to be put down, who knows.

22 VikingPrincess February 4, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Yes mums are very protective of family. I remember when my hamster bit me and died a few days later. My mother was up in arms. Poor hamster was placed in deep freeze until she noticed I wasn’t foaming at the mouth. LOL.

Blame mums? Don’t, they are an essential ingredient to our survival. Long live mums!

23 Amy February 4, 2014 at 2:12 PM

When people act irresponsibly it’s always the poor pet that gets punished.
I hope the dog isn’t put down. After all he was on a leash. The child wasn’t.

24 Reality Slap February 4, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Okay. No matter whose fault this incident was caused by, your dog, or one in your control, bites a 10 year old child and you don’t seek out the parents?

25 Anon2you February 4, 2014 at 2:42 PM

Sorry to say, that kid might still need a shot…Dog bites that break skin require a tetanus shot. Better take that kid to the doctor, one way or another…a shot is likely coming!

26 mmhhh February 4, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Glad the dog-owner heard about the request. Sounds like she is a responsible dog owner / person. As a parent, I would have done the same request; better be safe than sorry.
My question is;
why was a 10-year old out and about on his own (without parent)?

27 Incognito February 4, 2014 at 2:56 PM

I got bit in the leg when I was a little kid by a mother woodchuck who was sheltering her babies under a shed in my grandparents’ backyard. I was told not to run by the shed for fear of scaring and/or upsetting the mother woodchuck into thinking her little family was in harm’s way. I didn’t listen, I ran by and got bit. I didn’t blame the woodchuck, it was my fault for not listening.

It doesn’t matter how young or old you are, you should always approach any animal with caution if you don’t know then and they don’t know you.

I doubt if the little boy who was bit today is going to become a dog hater and be scared the rest of his life of dogs as #9 states.

28 Anon2you February 4, 2014 at 3:50 PM

@Incognito – Yeah but how much wood did that Woodchuck chuck? That is the bigger question…

29 Calm Down PEOPLE February 4, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Yes it sucks the kid got bit, but crap happens, and not everyone is “sue happy”. Is it so impossible to think that the mom really just wanted to find out if the dog was up to date on its shots?

I say she made a fine example by not calling the first personal injury attorney. KUDOS mom

30 anon February 4, 2014 at 4:07 PM

who are some of these posters? maybe the mayor can keep a psych on hand for them. wow.

nice to know they found the owner.
maybe the owner needs to contact uncle mattie or the other guy.
and lets not accuse someone of something w/o evidence. it really starts trouble.

31 Antler February 4, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Here you go. Please be sure your pets’ shots are current.

32 Regardless of the circumstances.... February 4, 2014 at 4:35 PM

the dog walker had the responsibility of identifying herself to the child and his parents….similar to leaving a note on a damaged car.

33 Uh... February 4, 2014 at 4:37 PM

seems to me, a responsible dog owner who’s dog
bit a child, would have taken that child to his
home and. contacted the parents of the child.
The act of asking if the child was ok sounds
like an attempt to side step responsibility for
her animal.

34 @Jaded February 4, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Overreact? You do realize rabies is a fatal disease right? I wouldn’t mess around with my child either.

35 Led February 4, 2014 at 4:45 PM

The mom AND the dog owner appear to be rational, chill people, especially as compared to some of the commenters on this post. Holy cow. Let me single out for special ‘praise’ the commenter known as ‘mmhh’, who apparently thinks all ten year-old kids should have a parent in a small helicopter hovering over them at all times. Talk about stunting kids’ development! “Mom, can I ride my scooter down the sidewalk?” “Hold on, son, let me fire up the mom-copter and hook your leash up to it.” (Credit for the kid-on-leash principle to another genius commenter, “Amy.”)

36 Kirk February 4, 2014 at 5:02 PM

I’ve had strangers ask me if their kid can pet my dog, I always say no.

Parents I know sure, but only if I can control the action. A friend of ours told his autistic daughter to go hug our dog. It happened so fast, in a flash she had her arms around his neck. I didn’t think parents could be that stupid. The dog isn’t dangerous but when it’s dog vs kid the dog ends up dead.

#9 your fear of leaving the house Is the only reason society has let you live. My wife was bit in the face by a dog as a child, she now trains German Shepherds. “Professional victim” is a choice.

37 Chill Everyone February 4, 2014 at 5:10 PM

The mother is just doing her job, making sure her child does not have to endure a series of rabies vaccinations. People are making some pretty wild assumptions and accusations…would you prefer her kid develop hydrophobia?

38 Atticus Thraxx February 4, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I was told (and you’ll have to check for yourselves) that the vaccine is administered in three stages over a period of weeks and the shot is intramuscular, right in the arm. No fun for a kid, still a heck of an improvement from when I was a lad. I can’t be the only one here who got bit by wild animals as a kid and didn’t tell anyone.

Free Connie Dobbs

39 6172 February 4, 2014 at 6:09 PM

There was 4 punctures to my son’s leg, he was walking down the same path as the heeler and its owner when it turned and bit him. He went home and told his Mom who went back down to the school but was unable to find the owner. His mom is a RN and took him to see his Dr who said rabies cannot be ruled out unless we find the dog. Thanks much for the help finding the owner, she was a nice lady who rescued the Heeler and has had shots, unfortunately the dog has bitten other kids.

Some of the response’s here remind me why the bay area is so messed up. No one is suing, I own dogs myself and lost my Blue Heeler a couple years ago.

40 Momo February 4, 2014 at 6:53 PM

My question is this. Even if a dog hasn’t had its rabies shot how likely is it that it will give rabies to someone? Can an animal be a carrier of the disease? I always thought that if it had rabies it went crazy. I’m thinking back to my childhood when we all cried over the movie “Old Yeller”. Saddest movie I’ve ever seen.

41 Bruce February 4, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I’m glad that everything work out for the better. After reading all the comments, I have some issues. I was raised on a farm, had multiple dogs and is a parent.

1.) Dogs should not be allowed to roam about freely on the streets. That is why there is a leash law. I hate it when people say, “My dog doesn’t bite” and then later find out that their dog bit someone. When I go walking, I carry a knife to protect myself. If there is a dog that bites me, it won’t bite anyone again. If your dog does bite someone, that person has the right to say whether that dog should be put to sleep. Owners should have to pay fines if their dog bites someone. If they can’t pay the fine, the dog should be put to sleep. If you don’t like any of what I said, then take care of your dog. It is your fault for being irresponsible for the care of your dog. If you can’t be responsible, then you shouldn’t have a dog.
2.) People who are 10 years old or 80 years old should be free to roam the streets without fear. Don’t blame the victim for getting hurt or attacked. This is America, not some Communist or Fascist country where everything is always the victims fault. Parents are responsible for the safety and actions of their kids, I played outside and rode my bike around the neighborhood when I was 10 with no supervision, with other kids around the same age. If something happened, like if a kid got bit by the dog. That dog is put to sleep, no question. To blame the parent for not watching their kid for being bit by a dog, those are sick people who blame the victim not the culprit. It is the same kind of sick mentality of blaming the women who get raped because of the way they dress and not blaming the rapist.

42 mika February 4, 2014 at 7:51 PM

The dog walker should be arrested for “bite and run”.

43 for fawks sake February 4, 2014 at 10:42 PM

There have not been any reported cases of rabies in this county in years. It is highly unlikely that the dog is rabid.

44 Bruce February 4, 2014 at 11:14 PM
45 ANNONeeemoose February 4, 2014 at 11:26 PM

How did we get from a bull terrier to a heeler?

46 ANNONeeemoose February 4, 2014 at 11:31 PM

#41 / 6172… are you the mom? I’m confused. This was your son? Was the dog leashed then and the kid went by on a scooter? I can see that. Some dogs have a very high prey drive and will go after anything moving fast … and if close, a bite is possible. But the mom, if that’s you, honestly, to protect other kids needs to report this to animal services. IF it is true this dog has bitten other children and it’s apparent the lady can’t control the dog, she needs to have it on a muzzle when in public, or deem it a dangerous dog! That’s putting more kids at risk every time she takes it for a walk.

47 G non February 4, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Seeing all the negative comments, assumptions the Mom ( who I’ve known since we were in 4th grade) only wants to sue make me Sick. Thank goodness this whole ordeal is nearing completion. Once again, wouldn’t want many of my neighbors on my jury- blaming the victim mentality.

48 JKB February 5, 2014 at 5:04 AM

Because apparently some people can’t tell the difference between the two breeds which is pretty odd IMHO .

49 @ Gnon February 5, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Don’t worry, responsible parents support your friend, who clearly is an awesome mom! Claycord needs more caring/committed mothers like her. Funny, how people can be so anti-motherhood sometimes, (probably some unresolved childhood issues). Ignore the trolls who hopefully aren’t breeding since they seems very cavalier about rabies, a 99.99% fatal disease.

50 Linda February 5, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I have been bitten by a dog and so has my Daughter but thankfully we are not afraid of dogs so I’m hoping this young boy does not become afraid of them. I also understand his Mom trying to find the owner for the rabies certification who wants there child to go through all that pain if they didn’t find the owner