Bay Area Women Against Rape Selected as Recipient of the 2013 FBI Director’s Community Leadership Award

February 3, 2014 8:00 am · 24 comments

fbi

Bay Area Women Against Rape (BAWAR) was selected as FBI’s nominee for their work in raising awareness and providing direct assistance to victims of child prostitution and human trafficking throughout the Bay Area.

“The work done by Bay Area Women Against Rape has made a positive, impressionable impact in our community, specifically to our youth,” said Johnson. “We are proud to recognize BAWAR for their selfless service of bridging communication voids left by victimization. We value their continued partnership with our crimes against children squad, as well as the Bay Area Child Exploitation Task Force.”

Established in 1971 as the nation’s first rape crisis center, BAWAR sought to address the problem of sexual assault with two goals: to establish a place where rape and incest survivors could receive the quality counseling and advocacy they need and to provide community education regarding sexual assault issues. Additionally, they provide 24-hour comprehensive services for survivors of sexual assault and their significant others.

“It is truly an honor to collaborate and work side by side using this victim-centered approach for the purpose of making our community a safer place for kids to thrive,” said Patrick Mims, BAWAR’s director for the Sexually Exploited Minor (SEM) program.

In 2013, BAWAR served 228 sexually exploited children and 108 adults involved in exploitation. The agency as a whole has been credited with 960 new clients with crisis intervention services, 128 clients with free in-person counseling, 143 clients with free hospital or police accompaniment, 163 clients with advocacy services, and 203 educational programs to over 12,000 children and adults.

Over the past three years, BAWAR worked with FBI and multiple state and local law enforcement agencies during Operation Cross Country, which is an annual law enforcement effort to rescue children forced into prostitution.

The award was created in 1990 as a way for the FBI to publicly recognize the achievements of individuals and organizations that make extraordinary contributions to crime and violence prevention and education in their communities.

1 I would really like to talk to February 3, 2014 at 8:23 AM

any woman who is for rape. I think the work they do is great, just an odd name.

Congrats on the award, it shows the fine work done by this organization.

2 TC February 3, 2014 at 9:52 AM

If I was a woman I would never let myself get raped because I would never put myself in those types of situations. Women need to make better choices and stop being victimized all the time.

3 anon February 3, 2014 at 10:01 AM

What a nice thing to do to recognize a great program and group of people doing important and life-saving work!

4 @ TC February 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM

You are a dumb ass plain and simple.

5 old concord February 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM

I still can’t believe we issue rape whistles to our woman in armed forces while in war zones to protect them from American male service men . This is a problem not with the military . These are men who have grown up here . New leadership here is the answer .

6 @TC February 3, 2014 at 11:59 AM

What a genius you are! Why didn’t I think of that?

7 funny man February 3, 2014 at 12:10 PM

in the words of the infamousWTC owner Larry Silverstien on the morning of 9/11 when asked what to do about building 7:
PULL IT

no good will come out of leaving comments open
they are doing good work, commendable, inspiring. PERIOD.

8 @TC February 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM

What do you think causes rape? Short skirts? Walking alone at night? Serving in the military? Dating around too much? There is only one cause of rape: RAPISTS. Blaming women contributes to the rape culture, where the belief it is ok to rape because ultimately it is the woman’s fault. I don’t know if you are a rapist, but best case scenario is that you are inadvertently supporting rape by blaming the victim. Please stop.

9 TC February 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I am definitely not supporting rape. And I think people who rape women are disgusting. All I’m saying is that women are to blame also. Some women put themselves into bad situation and ultimately look what happens. Women should be accountable for their part too.

10 bob February 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM

It sounds like TC is one of those “legitimate” rape kind of people. He is also probably from the old school where if a woman leaves her house with out a male family member as her escort, she is saying “come get me, I’m available!”?

11 Menegene February 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM

What a great job these people do. My best friend used to take calls on the 24 hour rape crisis line. The volunteers go though an incredible amount of training and the work the do is invaluable. Thank you to all the unsung heros behind the lines.

12 missymom February 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM

@TC as a survivor of rape, I feel extremenly sorry for you and your ignorance. I was in my house with my 3 year old next to me and dude came through an unlocked window (oh boy I guess I asked for it). That situation is no different than if I had been out clubbing. Do your research and talk to victims/survivors and maybe you’ll understand rape is rape is rape……

13 TC February 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM

@ Missymom

You should have locked your window. My point exactly right. Instead of always being a victim and crying about it later you should have been more careful and proactive in your own safety. Just saying

14 Atticus Thraxx February 3, 2014 at 5:59 PM

100% agree with and support the mission. But that is the worse name for a group of activists I’ve heard in a long time.
Almost implies some Bay Area women are pro-rape or at best, indifferent to say nothing of men.

Free Connie Dobbs

15 Atticus Thraxx February 3, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Meant “worst”.

16 VikingPrincess February 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I recall a poster here concerned about the mail and the issues with theft. His postal delivery person gave him some advice and said to just make sure he picks it up before its stolen and no problems with theft….

@TC…you don’t work for the USPS do you?

17 TC February 3, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I actually have a P.O. Box so I don’t have to worry about theft. Lock and key.

18 Subterfuge February 3, 2014 at 8:46 PM

And Bay Area Women For Rape get nothing… Yet again!

19 Rebecca February 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM

@ TC, so the women who was raped in her home doesn’t have the right to sit in her house with her windows open to let fresh air in? You are unbelievable.

20 Mrs. T February 3, 2014 at 11:36 PM

If everyone will ignore the dbag TC short for total creep it will go away! I say it because there is no way you are a human with your pathetic heartless comments. Don’t waste your time being offended by the things it says because at the end of the day that’s all it wants, to get a rise out of someone. That is how truly pathetic it is. So sad.

21 Mac February 4, 2014 at 7:15 AM

TC you are a fricking nut case

22 Thank you Mrs. T. February 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM

For once I totally agree with you. Leave it alone people, it’ll slither back to it’s dark place.

23 TC February 4, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Agree to disagree. We all have our own opinions. I’m just not afraid to say how it really is.

24 Mac February 4, 2014 at 11:01 AM

You have no clue to how it really is, is more like it.

But you`re not afraid to make an a$$ out of yourself. (fits you fine)

From a Man that has 2 daughters.
Your comments show just how little you really know.

Go back under your rock….