BART PD: Man Arrested for Possession of Butterfly Knife, Assault with a Deadly Weapon After Swinging Horse Whip at Woman in Concord

February 2, 2014 15:00 pm · 29 comments

One man is in custody for possession of a butterfly knife and assault with a deadly weapon after swinging a horse whip at a woman at the Concord BART station just before 7pm on Saturday, according to BART Police.

BART Police say “an officer on-viewed an adult male swinging a horse whip at a female, who was yelling for help. The officer immediately responded and, at taser point, ordered the suspect to surrender. The suspect complied and was taken into custody for assault with a deadly weapon. Shortly thereafter, the female victim refused to cooperate with the officer and left the scene; the victim did not have any visible injuries. A search of the suspect incident to arrest revealed he was also in possession of a butterfly knife. A sergeant responded to approve the arrest and debrief the suspect. The suspect was then booked into the county jail for assault with a deadly weapon and possessing the butterfly knife, in addition to being issued a prohibition order.”

The suspect’s name has not been released at this time.

1 judaspriest February 2, 2014 at 3:02 PM

that has to be in the top ten of the most ridiculous stories ever on claycird

2 Elwood February 2, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Ah, the good old BART pretend police.

Sargent, may I make an arrest?

What a farce.

Disband BART police now!

3 Killjoy February 2, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Possession of a Butterfly Knife is a felony. The same as a Switch Blade.

4 Dorothy February 2, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Never heard of a butterfly knife. Must have been more sheltered than I thought.

Wonder if the woman knew the man and was afraid to say anything about him.

5 None February 2, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Hahaha

6 bumper morgan February 2, 2014 at 4:44 PM

A butterfly or switchblade is a misdemeanor, not a felony.

A BART sgt comes to the scene to inquire if the suspect’s feelings were hurt, and to offer a hug, in case the suspect needs that level of support.

7 Mark February 2, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Why scream for help and then refuse to cooperate? Stupid.

8 meagain February 2, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Can I ask? If a BART cop tried to pull you over on the road and you don’t even use BART, would you pull over? I wouldn’t, at least I would not have , maybe now. I never thought of them as real police. Only BART security guards really. This has all been an eye opener for me. I had absolutely no clue they were sworn officers of the Law…

9 Jose February 2, 2014 at 5:19 PM

You people complain that BART Police officers need more oversight, then you make fun of them when they get it. I’d like to see most of you whiners try to do their job. You wouldn’t last a day.

10 Why Not February 2, 2014 at 5:21 PM

After all it’s concord bart.

11 TC February 2, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Bart officers are just like mall cops. They just happened to carry a gun and taser.

12 . February 2, 2014 at 6:28 PM

@tc#11…..

Try again. They go to the same law enforcement academies and are sworn peace officers just like city police or county sheriff’s deputies.

Try violating the law in front of them and see what happens.

You’re an idiot.

13 Ancient Mariner February 2, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I suppose a whip could be a deadly weapon if you used it long enough, but in this case I think this is charging too serious an offence.
Aggravated assault is more like it.

14 Teacher Wannabe February 2, 2014 at 7:05 PM

@#12. Totally agree. He’s an idiot.

15 Killjoy February 2, 2014 at 7:09 PM

From Wikipedia. Still looking for the Concord code.

In some U.S. states it is illegal to possess and/or carry such a knife in public. In certain jurisdictions, balisongs are categorized as a “gravity knife”, “switchblade”, or “dagger”. Spyderco admitted that from June 2005 through January 2007, it had mailed balisongs, after importing the knife components from Taipei, Taiwan, through the Port of San Francisco and the Port of Oakland, to Golden, Colorado.[7]
The knife is illegal to carry in California, but are legal to own if kept at home.[8]
In Hawaii, it is illegal to possess, manufacture, sell, transfer, or transport any balisong/Butterfly-type knife.[9]
There were once legal restrictions on butterfly knives in Kansas.,[10] however as of July 2013, the Kansas Comprehensive Knife Rights Act decriminalized the carrying of all types of bladed weapons.[11]
In Kentucky, the balisong is legal for concealed and open carrying anywhere one is not otherwise prohibited from carrying a concealed deadly weapon. Kentucky’s constitution and revised statutes prohibit cities and counties from enacting weapons laws and restrictions.
In New York, the balisong has been determined not to be a gravity knife, allowing legal ownership. They are sold in various shops across the state and may be kept in the home as an antique.[12]
In Oregon, it is illegal to carry a concealed Balisong.[13]
In Texas, As of September 1, 2013 Switchblades are now legal in Texas. [14]
In Utah, balisongs are legal as long as they are not concealed.[citation needed]
In Virginia, the balisong is legal for conceal and open carrying according to state law, although localities can have additional knife laws and restrictions.
In Michigan, the balisong is legal because it is classified as a “folding knife”
Balisong trainers feature a special blunt and unsharpened “blade” and are legal in areas where balisongs are not.

16 DEVO February 2, 2014 at 7:19 PM

“I say Whip It….”

17 Killjoy February 2, 2014 at 7:28 PM

According to California Penal Code 21510

“Possession, sale, manufacture or import of any other prohibited knife is a wobbler.21 It may be charged as either a misdemeanor , punishable by up to one (1) year in county jail…or as a felony, punishable by up to three (3) years in state prison.”

So if they want to press the issue, you can be charged with a felony for carrying a Butterfly Knife.

18 Dr. Jellyfinger February 2, 2014 at 8:18 PM

I’ll bet it was that “LaRue” fellow.

19 Gus February 2, 2014 at 8:29 PM

If a dude pulls a butterfly knife on you, while he is flipping it around kick him in he balls and stick a folding knife in the base of his skull when he bends over.

Butterfly knives are for guys with flowered underwear.

20 meagain February 3, 2014 at 5:10 AM

@ Gus #19, no kidding eh? And what is up with these stupid knives? And people who don’t even know how to use one? A good old pocket knife held right, I mean if you were backed in a corner by a mugger or whatever, is a brutal weapon. A switch blade? Butterfly knife? And by the way unless you are using a knife as a tool… and pull it on someone, brandish it etc. it is a crime, unless you have a damn good reason. But don’t underestimate knives. If held right it is nearly impossible to disarm someone with one, and at close range more lethal than a gun in most cases, a brutal weapon. Don’t buy the Hollywood crap. If you are facing someone with a knife, and are say a cop, you almost have to shoot them. Or run. The last thing any person in hand to hand combat want to face is someone with a knife, trust me … I would prefer wrestling someone with a hand gun….

21 Anon February 3, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Well, sensor anyone, since I was saying what Elwood was saying, ditto Elwood. Gonna remove this too?

22 The Mamba February 3, 2014 at 7:41 AM

I don’t understand why the woman would refuse to cooperate with an officer after he stepped in to help her? I also think calling a horse whip a “deadly weapon” is pushing the definition of deadly weapon.

23 Sacto Rob February 3, 2014 at 9:32 AM

“…and officer on-viewed an adult male…”
“On-viewed.” Who speaks like that? Seriously? What, “saw,” or “spotted” doesn’t do the trick? We have to be subjected to cop-speak such as “on-viewed?’
And I also found it interesting that that woman being whipped wasn’t interested in filing a complaint.

24 John February 3, 2014 at 11:45 AM

How does a guy with a whip and knife NOT get shot, but Oscar Grant gets shot in the back while lying on the ground with no weapons? I’m curious what race this whip/knife fool was.

25 denise February 3, 2014 at 12:01 PM

yeah, get rid of bart police! idiots that think like that obviously do Not ride bart.
If there were no bart officers, I wonder how much longer the couple who killed the little girl the other day would have been able to experience freedom.
There’s 3 classes of patrons on bart – Commuters, Tourists (native and not) and those that ride looking to make trouble. If there were no bart police it is easy to imagine how those trains would change.
How many of you tough talkers would have jumped in to help that lady ?
sorry, I just watched a video of a girl throwing week old puppies in a river and I am a bit edged out and tired of how the public is eager to jump to bash those that take a job that could get them hurt or killed to protect people they do not know.
Next time you are robbed, assaulted, need assistance or had your rights taken by someone else don’t forget your negative views of the Police Officers, I’d rather have them available for a faster response to help me if something happens to me at the same time.

26 Old Guy February 3, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I do not understand why a BART Sargent has to respond to any incident before an arrest can be made.

If you do no trust the officers judgement, then replace him. How many sergeants must the system have in order to provide proper coverage? no damn wonder the wage overhead is so high!

27 WC Resident February 3, 2014 at 1:48 PM

denise
I so agree! How many on here who are complaining, are willing to take on criminals and help someone else? Not many.

28 Jack Bruce February 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Was this some kind of “pimp hand” action?

29 Killjoy February 4, 2014 at 7:50 PM

@Gus
Try it. I’d have mine open before you knew what I was doing, and I DON’T wear flowered underwear.