The Grand Opening of Pleasant Hill’s New Community Center

January 26, 2014 · 9 comments

community

Pleasant Hill’s brand new community center had their grand opening on Sunday.

Thousands of people attended the grand opening, and toured the new 22,000 square foot facility.

The center features a dance studio, several multi-use rooms, a pavilion that seats up to 400 people, a catering kitchen and a gazebo for outdoor ceremonies.

This new center, which is on Civic Dr. behind the Pleasant Hill Police Station, is on the same plot of land where the old community center stood for over 40 years.

The Pleasant Hill Community Center cost about $12-million to construct.

1 VikingPrincess January 26, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Been watching it being built for over s year now. Glad they’re finished. Amazed the traffic wasn’t bad at all.

2 Ted K., SuperMax January 26, 2014 at 9:05 PM

$545 per square foot? WTF?

3 Noj January 26, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Pleasant Hill has done pretty well for itself over the years. I still remember the old Hook farm at Buskirk and Hookston Rd; the old remains of the Spanish adobe at the corner of Geary Rd and North Main Street; the Greyhound Bus station over by Boyd Rd; The Hanging Oak over Murderer’s Creek on Oak Park Bd; Pleasant Hill High School; all gone now.

4 gasai yuno January 26, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Finally(^•^)

5 Anon. January 26, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Major improvement for Pleasant Hill. Nice little town they got there.

6 Waldo January 26, 2014 at 10:18 PM

The old structure was in fine shape and I think they could have spent the money elsewhere.

7 iscoffy January 26, 2014 at 10:24 PM

As someone who used to participate in an event at the old structure, it was not in fine shape. It had structural problems, and had a patchwork of attempts to keep things propped up. I honestly would not have wanted to be in it during an earthquake.

8 PH FAN January 27, 2014 at 7:49 AM

@ Waldo…the old building was literally crumbling…it was in terrible shape. The new buildings in PH (Teen center, senior center, community center) are all awesome and were much needed. Wonderful for the community.

9 Wow January 27, 2014 at 8:32 AM

That’s a ton of money in a down economy. Sounds fishy, spending so much when the community is suffering economically.

I saw a flier at the open house showing over $231,000 in permit fees alone. That’s absurd. $2,130,000 for “Professional Fees” too. That’s not a typo…. 2.13 million !

I think I’d rather have my tax money back to put into my kids college fund that got wiped out a few years back.