City of Concord Citizen Police Academy Seeks Applicants

January 24, 2014 8:00 am · 21 comments

The Concord Police Department is currently accepting applications for the spring session of the Citizen Police Academy. The academy provides community members with an inside look at local law enforcement, giving an overview of the police department’s function and operations. The deadline for applications is February 20.

The ten-week academy curriculum and teaching methodology embrace real examples of police work. The weekly sessions, however, are not designed to train participants as police officers. While attending the academy, students will be introduced to a variety of topics and training taught by police executives and veteran police officers. Participants will have the opportunity to meet with the Chief of Police and staff members.

Classes meet Tuesday evenings from 6:30 – 9:30 p.m. at the Concord Police Headquarters, 1350 Galindo St. beginning March 4. Applicants who are accepted to the program will be notified of their selection at least two weeks prior to the first meeting.

Candidates must be at least 16 years old, live or work in the Concord area, have no felony convictions, and have no minor misdemeanor convictions within one year of application.

Interested candidates can visit the City of Concord website at http://www.cityofconcord.org/police/joinin/academy.aspx to obtain more information about the Citizen Academy and to download an application. Applications can also be obtained in person at the Concord Police Headquarters in the front lobby. Completed applications should be returned to: Margaret Romiti, Manager, Office of the Chief, Concord Police Department, 1350 Galindo St., Concord CA 94520, 925-671-3184.

1 The Mamba January 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I’d like to do a ride along to bust a meth lab like the first episode of breaking bad!

2 Anoymous January 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I attended the last one and would totally recommend.Very enlightening to learn
about the Police Dept.And the Sargent that conducted did a great job!!

3 Just Another Concord Resident January 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM

That has always been a wonderful program, I highly recommend it.

4 Right wingers attention!! Paid for with tax money January 24, 2014 at 11:04 AM

5 Sounds like fun, January 24, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I just sent my application.

And this being a leftist state, its paid for with leftist tax dollars.

6 Horse'n Around January 24, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I can think of a few people on here who should do this since they think they no everything that a police officer should be trained in and how to act. Maybe since they have such knowledge they could even teach the class.

7 @right wing; January 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Blah blah, so friggin what, stick your head back
where the sun don’t shine and let us get back to
proactive , community based progress.

8 cf January 24, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I would love to except that I have a prior comittment on Tuesday nights. Perhaps if it is offered on another evening in the future?

9 Anonymous January 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Anyone know if they have a similar program for the Martinez PD?

10 STRAIGHT OUT OF QUENTIN January 24, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Dang, I wanted to do this.

11 VikingPrincess January 24, 2014 at 12:18 PM

@Anonymous

You mentioned you took the last class? At what point in the class do they start taking g you with in the patrol car? First week? After second week?
Thanks

12 Anoymous January 24, 2014 at 1:04 PM

You schedule your ride along after a couple classes.

13 @@right wing, #7--- Please define "proactive, community based progress", January 24, 2014 at 1:14 PM

to which you allude.

14 VikingPrincess January 24, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Anonymous

15 anon January 24, 2014 at 4:35 PM

So it doesn’t come with social permission to beat up people who engage in peaceful behaviors that other people don’t like?

What’s the point?

16 Do they do ride-alongs without the academy? January 24, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I also have a previous Tuesday night commitment, but I’d like to go on a ride-along sometime.

17 NRA #1 fan and member January 24, 2014 at 7:59 PM

I will be enrolling in this academy, hope I get to use a squad car for patrolling instead of my diesel truck.

I already have patrolling experience and have confronted many.

18 ANON January 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

“.And the Sargent that conducted did a great job!!”

They did not leach you how to spell…did they

This is great Overtime

19 Kathryn January 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM

@ Viking Princess……11

You won’t qualify. Cops have enough stress.

20 Phoenyx January 24, 2014 at 9:09 PM

My coworker did the citizens academy at the Benicia PD and said the experience was well worth it. I’m tempted to sign up.

21 ChampagneKitty January 25, 2014 at 10:28 AM

to Do they do ride-alongs without the academy? #16–Yes, you can go on a ride-along without going through the academy. There are applications at the front desk in the lobby of the police department.