Column – “Creative Space” on Claycord – Artist Robin T. Milne

January 23, 2014 14:00 pm · 24 comments

robin

Creative Space is a new weekly column on Claycord.com written by Lisa Fulmer that features local art events and performances, inspiring interviews with creative movers and makers, DIY how-to projects for you and our home, plus fun craft ideas for the whole family.

Featured artist:  Robbin T. Milne

Robbin Milne is a local painter in Concord whose work has been exhibited in art galleries and other venues throughout the Bay Area over the past 15+ years. Some of her work belongs to private collections here in California, as well as in Canada, France and Italy.  She frequently teaches and has worked with the National Institute of Arts and Disabilities. She has enjoyed painting “en plein air” (outdoors) this past year, and now she’s planning a European sabbatical where she will work on a new series of abstract paintings inspired by her travels.

Robbin says of this painting above, “This was inspired by the trees I see on my daily walks. This particular image comes from Mt. Diablo State Park at the Mitchell Canyon entrance.  Trees are very important to me…they have organic and figurative qualities. Sometimes I see them as friends with almost human-like shapes.”

Visit Robbin’s website to see more of her beautiful and inspiring abstract paintings, as well as portrait drawings.

LOCAL EVENTS:

• Now through Sunday, February 23 - New Neon:  Light, Paint & Photography exhibit - Bedford Gallery, Walnut Creek
  • Friday, January 24    8:00 – 10:00pm - The Delbert Bump Organ Quartet concert - Armando’s, Martinez
  • Saturday, January 25    9:00pm - Blue Moonshine band - Vinnie’s Bar & Grill,  Concord
  • Saturday, January 25 through Saturday, March 8 - Beginning Weaving for Kids class - Walnut Creek Parks & Rec
  • Monday, January 27   6:30-9:30pm - Painting for Beginners class - Lafayette Studio
  • Tuesday, January 28   6:00 – 9:00pm - Chinese New Year Feast cooking class - Mt. Diablo Adult School, Pleasant Hill
  • Saturday, February 1    5:00 – 7:00pm - Love at First Sight art exhibit and reception - Lafayette Art Gallery
  • Sunday, February 2   1:15 – 4:45pm - Concord Knitting & Crochet Group - Concord Library
  • Saturday, February 8    2:00 – 5:00pm - The Glover Group art exhibit and reception - The Art Cottage, Concord

Creative Space is a weekly column written by Lisa Fulmer that features local art events and performances, inspiring interviews with creative movers and makers, DIY how-to projects for you and our home, plus fun craft ideas for the whole family. Creative Space will be on Claycord.com every Thursday at 2pm.

As an avid creative junkie living in Concord, Lisa wants to make it easier for our readers to find ways to embrace creativity and celebrate the local people who are making it happen. In addition to her work as a writer and a marketing consultant, Lisa is a mixed media artist and a project designer for the craft industry.

Visit her blog to see more of Lisa’s own creative space.

{ 24 comments }

1 Wassup January 23, 2014 at 2:14 PM

I think this is a great addition to Claycord! Thanks.

2 Worst Critic January 23, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I don’t see any trees, but I think there’s a puffin bird in there!

3 anon January 23, 2014 at 3:09 PM

I love it!

4 Mimi (original) January 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Awesome addition to Claycord information hub!!

5 Angelica January 23, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Love this new column! Happy and positive. Thanks Lisa!

6 Nature Lover January 23, 2014 at 3:34 PM

This is a wonderful addition to Claycord.com. Thanks !

7 I am an artist!! January 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM

I am an artist and would LOVE to be featured on this segment!! Would be a first to get exposure this way!! Please contact me and let’s talk!

8 Antler January 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM

Lisa~ ~ ~ Just to wish you well with this column project! I found myself wishing there were telephone contact numbers for some of the groups.

9 Worst Critic January 23, 2014 at 4:01 PM

@I am an artist!! #7; You and everyone else.

10 VikingPrincess January 23, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Thanks for mentioning Lafayette Studios….wish I knew about them before! Their dead artist of the month is one of my favorite artists, Andrew Wyeth.

Thanks again for showing us art resources!

11 Nicole January 23, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Lisa, love your blog! And thanks for the updates on Local Events.

Robbin, enjoyed your website as well.

This is fun for the ladies. And the guys too, if they’re interested!

12 Jess January 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM

I have a friend who takes classes at the Lafayette Studio. She loves it.

I love this column, especially the local events section. Who knew there were so many interesting things going on nearby. Thanks, Lisa, and thanks, Mr. Mayor. This is just the kind of column I was hoping for.

13 VikingPrincess January 23, 2014 at 5:29 PM

@Nicole
It may be to some guys advantage if anything these are great places and events to mingle with decent healthy people…may even find more than they bargained for, take an art class, learn and meet some good people :)

14 Phoenyx January 23, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Hey, I like this addition to Claycord!

I’ve interviewed a few members of the Glover Group… neat people. The show will be worth checking out.

15 Antler January 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Worst Critic at #2 ~ ~ ~ And did you find the black lab holding a wedge of lettuce? :-)

16 Antler January 23, 2014 at 6:27 PM

~ ~ ~ blue lab???

17 Robbin Milne January 23, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Thank you Lisa for finding my work and offering to feature me here!! And to all of you who have taken a look at my work, much appreciation. :) Robbin

18 Lisa Fulmer January 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Glad readers are enjoying this column, many thanks for your feedback. Please use the contact form on my blog (linked above in my bio) to discuss ideas for featuring local artists, crafters, performers and creative events. Have a great weekend!

19 anonononon January 24, 2014 at 9:14 AM

So great to have a topic that can’t be taken over by the political nuts.

It is always great to have some information on local art.

20 Silva January 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

This is a a great fun & really informative column!

21 RD January 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM

I see two birds in the picture!

22 Mayflower January 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Thank for a great discussion topic. I like the events calendar, helps me plan my free time.

23 Monica January 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM

This is awesome! I love this column. Thanks Lisa and Robbin!

24 itsme January 24, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Love this new addition to Claycord. I actually see 4 creatures in the painting: a puffin, angel fish, a snake head and a manta ray…..beautiful colors by the way!