The Claycord Online Museum – Golden Pancake House on Contra Costa Blvd.

January 21, 2014 14:00 pm · 14 comments

pancake_house

This is an old matchbook from the Golden Pancake House on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill.

This restaurant was located in the same spot where the Original Pancake House is now located.

Anybody remember the Golden Pancake House?

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

{ 14 comments }

1 Julie January 21, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Our family used to go there. Great pancakes!

2 Noj January 21, 2014 at 2:15 PM

Do I ever…

Used to work at the Shell Station across the street. Terry Lee the boxing guy owned it and Ralph Swoboda was the station manager. Gas was $29.9 a gallon and you got your tires checked, windshield washed and oil checked for free. We’d go to the Pancake House for lunch once in a while and the manager loaned us his 1967 Buick Riviera to go to the Pleasant Hill High School prom. Lots of PHHS kids worked there at the Shell Station, and also at the Grand Auto Store next store. Great place for food after a football game.

3 Greg in Pleasant Hill January 21, 2014 at 2:20 PM

This must have been before it was Carrows.

4 Mimi (original) January 21, 2014 at 2:36 PM

And before it was Lyons

5 Greg in Pleasant Hill January 21, 2014 at 4:07 PM

Yep. I remember Carrows, then it was Lyons, Now it’s the “Original” Pancake House. The Golden Pancake house must be before my time.

6 Dr. Jellyfinger January 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Man I feel sorry for the guy that has that 689-4540 phone number. I called it out of curiosity & asked how late they are open. He was soooooooo pissed & said I’m like the 500th caller tonight. He is sooooooooooooo pissed off. Really, call him & see.

7 J. January 21, 2014 at 10:18 PM

I remember the Shell station, the Grand Auto, the Standard Brands Paint store, and the Snow White Drive-in. Nation’s was down that way later too, by Standard Brands. Oh, and the drive-in movie theater was caddy-corner from the Shell station.

8 Mac January 22, 2014 at 7:18 AM

I agree, J.
Pleasant Hill was a neat place to grow up.
I was lucky as hell to have such an awesome place to ride my bike around.
And then later cruise on my motorcycle & car.
Growing up in the Gardens in the late 60`s/70`s was a treat, for sure.

We didn`t know how close to Mayberry we were back then.

But like most old timers (54)
I have many good stories to pass on to my Grandsons.

Thanks for these old stories and photos of old Pleasnt Hill.
I love seeing them again.

And by the way, i`ve eaten at this place, thru many name changes.
Was my first stop in the morning (4:30 am) every moring for years.
Don`t think there was a place in Pleasant Hill i didn`ty eat at. (it wasn`t that big)

9 Cynthia January 22, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Oh Yes how well i remember…. built by my Dad Sal Cola Construction and jointly owned by Dr Edmeads & Harry Nakahara (architect) and my Dad Sal Cola Also the bank next to the pancake house

10 Mr. Pink January 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Dr. JF – LOL.

11 Mac January 22, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Any relation to Steve Cola that use to drive a Truck for a living ?

12 RunnerDope January 22, 2014 at 5:03 PM

And don’t forget the Monument Bowl. That was the first place in the area that had automatic scoring.

13 Debbie Downer January 22, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Is that the same place where an armed robber tried to rob a couple of armored car guards & they shot him dead?

14 Mac January 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM

Yes it was Debbie.
My Wife & Daughters were right there when it happened.
Waiting at the stop light. (in our car)

Not a pretty sight.