Contra Costa Canal Shut Down Due to Canal Repairs & Annual Cleaning

January 21, 2014 8:00 am · 13 comments

contracostacanal

Portions of the Contra Costa Canal were shut down earlier this year for repairs and annual cleaning, and according to the Contra Costa Water District, they expect the canal to be repaired and back in service by the beginning of the annual irrigation season in April.

The annual cleaning begins at the Concord Naval Weapons Station and will proceed along the Canal Loop through Clyde, Concord, Walnut Creek, Pleasant Hill and Martinez.

Trails users will need to detour around the construction site.

The District schedules its annual cleaning during the winter months when it causes less impact to their customers and the environment.

For more information, contact Oliver Symonds at 925-688-8010 or osymonds@ccwater.com

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

{ 13 comments }

1 Dorothy January 21, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Should be easier this time with no rain water to deal with.

2 Rich January 21, 2014 at 9:45 AM

With the low water there are a number of large cracks near the bottom of various parts of the canal. With the drought it seems like these should be repaired to save water.

3 ph res January 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Hello-We just bought a home in PH with the creek behind it. I’m not clear on the responsibilty of the homeowner and if we are supposed to clean somehting related to the creek?

Also, does the city actually walk through in the creek to clean it? I’m new to this..so any help would be appreciated.

4 anon January 21, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I would like to know why the canal on Denkinger Rd is still maintained and ther is never water in it. It’s been like that for 40 years.

5 They usually find some interesting stuff in the canals..... January 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM

car batteries, guns, old appliances, dead cats and dogs, engine blocks and transmissions…………

6 Ted K., Supermax January 21, 2014 at 11:14 AM

How about killing off the poison oak?

7 nytemuvr January 21, 2014 at 11:52 AM

@anon#4
You have a good memory. The canal delineated the south side of our property(next to the elementary school then) and there was access road legal problems to that canal(right of way permits). It basically dried up, we used to water our walnut orchards and home gardens from that canal(as did a lot of people on Denkinger). I moved out of our house by then and it was just a stagnant barely running little trickle. My Dad and neighbors tried to get the county to keep releasing water to it, but they built houses where it turns north to go out to what is now Denkinger Ct. & Nulty. If I remember right the county said it wasn’t needed any longer and they were going to fill it in. The county said they were going to fill it in or run it underground, I don’t remember and at my age it wasn’t important to me. My parents moved from there in ’74 and my grandparents next door passed away a couple of years after that. I haven’t been back by there in 15 years or so. We never got definitive answers as to why it wasn’t needed any longer back then. I don’t think there was enough water to justify using and maintaining it, the ’76-’77 drought hit about then also, the county had bigger fish to fry then. It was a good place to catch crawdads when I was a little boy. I think we paid $6 a year to pump all the water we could use out of it. I just Google Earthed it and can’t believe it is all still there.

8 nytemuvr January 21, 2014 at 11:55 AM

@7nytemuvr
It was Denkinger and Calavaras, not Nulty.

9 RunnerDope January 21, 2014 at 2:21 PM

@7nytemuvr,

I thought you lived off of Galindo. Was that before or after Denkinger?

10 The creek is yours January 21, 2014 at 4:28 PM

@ph res January 21, 2014 at 10:06 AM

The “creek” is not the canal, which is the concrete waterway and bike path. The creek behind your home is yours (check your property line). The city inspects the creek prior to the “flood-rain” season. You are supposed to keep the area free of debris, branches, or other junk which would dam up the water. They send you a notice. We had a neighbor cut down a huge Eucalyptus tree and drops SEVERAL cords of wood into the dry creek and left it there for months. City didn’t like that.

11 Ph res January 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

@thecityisyours Thanks for the information.

12 Ancient Mariner January 21, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Why do they call it a canal?
I see no gondolas or barges.
It’s an aqueduct.

13 nytemuvr January 21, 2014 at 10:57 PM

@RunnerDope #9
Lived from Clyde to Denkinger thought my life in a dozen places.
@Ancient Mariner #12
We just always called it the canal since we were just kids, didn’t know the difference then.