Claycordian Receives Letter from USPS Regarding Stolen Mail Found in Pleasanton

January 21, 2014 9:49 am · 12 comments

A Claycordian received a letter from the USPS this week regarding stolen mail.

Here’s an email that was sent to Claycord from the victim….

I remember reading the Claycord article about the police arresting four men in Pleasanton for stealing mail, but since the arrest happened in Pleasanton, the article didn’t mean anything to me, except that a citizen had done his or her job and now a few less criminals were roaming the streets.

This response changed this week when I received a letter from the USPS, which told me that some of the mail that had been recovered was mine. I live in Concord. I went back to read some of the news reports about this arrest. Nothing in any of the articles I read today inferred that anyone in our area might have been impacted by these thieves. So, please alert your readers that if they live in any of the cities these guys live in, they might be missing mail, too.

Thanks for the note, we’re happy to hear you’ll get your mail back!

Not sure about the other news outlets, but the Claycord article did mention the suspects were from Concord, and stolen mail from several cities around Contra Costa County (and other counties) was located.

Below is the original article that was posted on Claycord.com on Jan. 5, 2014:

Pleasanton Police: Three Concord Residents Arrested on Several Charges – Stolen Mail from 14 Cities Discovered

Three Concord residents were arrested in the City of Pleasanton this week for possession of stolen property, forgery, consipracy and drug related charges, according to the Pleasanton Police Department.

The following information is from the Pleasanton Police Department:

On Friday, January 3, 2014, at 9:20 p.m. a resident on MacDonald Court in Pleasanton reported seeing a subject removing mail from nearby mailboxes. The subject then left the area in a compact silver hatchback style vehicle. Responding officers located a silver 2011 Nissan Versa at the end of Olsen Drive occupied by four male subjects who were not from the area.

A consent search of the vehicle resulted in the discovery of suspected stolen mail from multiple addresses in Pleasanton, as well as thirteen other cities within Contra Costa, San Mateo, and Solano Counties.

The suspects were arrested and booked into Santa Rita Jail for possession of stolen property, forgery, conspiracy, and drug related charges. They were identified as 18 year old Elmer Aguilar of Concord, 26 year old Gustavo E. Rivas of Concord, 31 year old Ruben J. Ramirez of Concord, and 23 year old David A. Gonzalez of Antioch.

The capture of these suspects was due to a resident’s keen observation and immediate reporting of suspicious activity to police. The Pleasanton Police Department encourages citizens to help reduce crime by immediately reporting suspicious behavior.

{ 12 comments }

1 The Mamba January 21, 2014 at 10:37 AM

I definitely got that the suspects had taken mail from our area, well done Mayor.

2 Frank L. January 21, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Get a locking mail box. You can’t eliminate crime, but you can certainly take preventive measures.

3 Keith January 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM

We’ve had a mail box that locks since the 80′s. It keeps the mail from being stolen.

We take outgoing mail to the post office to be safe.

4 Martinez January 21, 2014 at 11:21 AM

oh Ruben, get off the drugs. You were such a cool guy. I’ll keep you in my prayers. Glad they got you off the streets though.

PS I WANT MY MAIL FROM DECEMBER! So much mail is missing and I don’t know what to do about it. lol. (it’s probably not from these guys seeing my mail was stolen in December)

5 MailBox January 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Get a locking mailbox that is bolted or cemented down. Or, get a PO Box. I was having mail theft problems and got a POB.

6 Martinez January 21, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Our mail theft isn’t straight from our mail box, it’s packages that USPS and UPS just leave on our doormat.

7 Dorothy January 21, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Not had any mail stolen that I know about but a couple of years ago I got a larger locking mail box that could have small packages placed in it. I had gotten it because a neighbor had said a prescription was stolen from her small box. Since I now have one prescription come in the mail I feel better about it.

8 Julie January 21, 2014 at 2:16 PM

@ Martinez—6

Get “signature required” for your deliveries. Or have them delivered to work, or someone else’s address that is home during the day.

9 Nom de Plume January 21, 2014 at 2:38 PM

It doesn’t help to have a locking mailbox or a garage drop when postal employees don’t put mail all the way into either of them. That was a huge problem where I lived. Luckily I moved but still worry that in the interim mail went missing as did a package that was erroneously left on the porch.

It doesn’t help to have a signature required. They deliver without it. If you aren’t working, you don’t have an office address to use and many offices don’t allow it anyway.

So that leaves a post office box which is very expensive and puts more money into their coffers as a reward for poor service.

10 Cowellian January 21, 2014 at 3:29 PM

(1) Get a club.
(2) Use it on the thieves.

11 Renee January 22, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Who do I contact to see if some of our mail was included? I missed rec’g a few letters and thought it was just a fluke. Now I need to see if they have our mail. Darn criminals!!!!

12 Mama Cowell January 24, 2014 at 4:00 PM

We got our same letter today- we are off Cowell./Treat/Court Lane area.
and we HAVE a locking mailbox.
mayor- can you somehow repost this article so its more to the front of website? curious how many others are just now getting their mail back- and the letters from the US Postal Inspector.