Vehicle Burglary Victim Warns Others About Break-In in Walnut Creek

January 20, 2014 21:13 pm · 27 comments

This note regarding a vehicle burglary came from a Claycordian in Walnut Creek.

My car was broken into via window smash (driver’s side / street side) in Walnut Creek (on Alvarado near Buena Vista) last night or early this morning, 1/20/14.

They tried to steal the car because the ignition is “jimmied” & destroyed; also the radio / CD player, pulled out of its casing but left behind.

They did steal a backpack from the trunk, which had nothing terribly valuable except to me. In the backpack were an old ipod, a newer pair of workout shoes & most importantly to me, information – my fitness students’ sign-in sheets.

The Walnut Creek police did come out this morning when I was on my way out, and finger-printed. I don’t hope to get much back, but want my co-residents to know that they’re at it again.

Thanks for the note. Sorry about your loss.

1 REALLY??? January 20, 2014 at 9:19 PM

Do CPD and/or BART police fingerprint for car break-ins?

2 Killjoy January 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM

I lived in that neighborhood in the 80’s. My truck got broken into twice when I lived there.
Apparently, not much has changed.

Sorry your vehicle was vandalized.

3 Lisa January 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM

From personal experience, neither cpd nor Bart police fingerprint.

4 eric January 20, 2014 at 9:37 PM

#1
CPD I don’t know, but BPD does for sure

5 oak grove posse January 20, 2014 at 9:41 PM

@really #1 – I have called CPD to report a break in on my car and they told me they don’t even send out a unit, you fill out a report online or at the station. Good news huh?

6 Spanky Fortuna January 20, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Clean out the garage and keep your car inside.

7 Claycordite January 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM

CPD must be pretty short handed. There has been an abandoned car parked on the corner of our street just one block off Clayton Rd and a couple blocks from Clayton/Kirker Pass/Ygnacio since at least mid-December. Before Christmas I made a call to them, The operator looked up the license number and said it is registered in Pittsburg, that they were pretty busy, but someone would be out in a week or two. It is well past that time and no one has moved the car. The owner of the car has probably given up on his stolen car. It doesn’t appear to be damaged. I’m sure he would be happy to see it again. I realize this is a low priority, but for those with lost or stolen vehicles it is not. At least it would not be low priority to me if my vehicle had been stolen. What can be done ?

8 Anon January 20, 2014 at 11:43 PM

CPD? This was in Walnut Creek, not Concord.

9 Make, model? January 21, 2014 at 3:34 AM

What kind of car is it? Seems like your car must have been targeted for a reason (parts) and/or they would have had to have stolen another car nearby if they were trying to get out of the neighborhood.

10 Brian Curtis January 21, 2014 at 4:54 AM

A car was broken into Monday night, somewhere around 11 pm on Trinity Ave.
Doesn’t look good for those folks near freeway entrances.

11 Anonymous January 21, 2014 at 4:56 AM

Please remove my name

12 Dana Mom January 21, 2014 at 7:21 AM

@ Anon
Read all the comments and you will realize people are surprised WC fingerprints. They are asking if CPD and Bart do the same??

13 Anon-e-Cat January 21, 2014 at 7:39 AM

@Claycordite – call them again – they should have come out and tagged it to have it towed, if they haven’t done that, have them come out to start the process. I can’t remember how many days it needs to stay once it’s tagged, but most of the time they won’t move it (unless it was stolen) for a “waiting period”.

14 @Claycordite January 21, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Email CPD regarding the abandoned vehicle and they will be out with in a day or two to tag it … putting your complaint in writing is always better than making a phone call … TrafficComplaint@cpd.ci.concord.ca.us

15 mike January 21, 2014 at 7:50 AM

Note to thieves, Walnut Creek PD does still fingerprint, so stay out of this city. We really don’t want you.

16 The Mamba January 21, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Oh this isn’t even on the PD’s radar, we’re on our own out here.

17 Sheila January 21, 2014 at 9:37 AM

The Martinez PD won’t fingerprint unless vehicle was in the garage (sending a strong message-garage your vehicles). But they did come out to my neighbors house when her car was broken into.

The thing about fingerprints……how many other prints are on there? That’s why the MPD won’t fingerprint outside vehicles. Too many other peoples prints could be on there as well.

18 Frank L. January 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM

Park your car in the garage. That’s what a garage is for.

19 Walnut Creek Resident January 21, 2014 at 10:02 AM

On Monego/Tampico close to John Muir and my neighbor about three days ago had her new Fiat back window smashed and they took her coat and a package underneath it. We have had no events like this recently and I caution everyone to keep an eye out for these creeps. Also this happened to my friend’s neighbor’s late model pick up truck and they took all of his stuff and his sound equipment and then the same night took valuable tools out of another pick up truck in the same area and that is Patterson/Santa Barbara in Pleasant Hill. WCPD are watching the area. Actually saw them hiding to give tickets for people on their cell phones and running the stop signs!!! So that is one good thing.

20 Stop and Frisk January 21, 2014 at 10:38 AM

I seriously think we need to implement a stop and frisk procedure around the WC and Concord area. There is too much crime which has now starting making its way to WC, Pleasant Hill, etc. Now no place is safe to park your car.

I would have not problem with police officers targeting young hispanic looking people since they seem to be the most common perps when it comes to auto theft, robberies, etc. It worked for NYC, and it can work here.

21 Walnut Creek Resident January 21, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Frank #18..I am sure if people had garages they would park there cars in them. Our complex has open parking spaces only.

22 VikingPrincess January 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM

@Sheila
Yes this is so true. When I lived in Martinez there was a trend of style or it was the same person. They came in after the paper was delivered and stole bikes in neighborhood. If you had a soft top or certain type of car they used grease to slide their hands through tops of side windows. The grease Does leave obvious fingerprints. Whomever the thrives were, they were small time. Some of the things they stole were silly, such as jewel CD cases which they managed to drop and break making noise and leaving a mess (another potential fingerprint) Their hands were small…like female or young.
Amazing world -eh?

23 Keith January 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I think telling people NOT TO LEAVE ANYTHING IN THEIR CAR OR TRUNK makes more sense.

If you can’t garage your car (because of other cars, not junk), then at least remove everything, lock your glove box, and use an anti-theft device.

This is common sense. I don’t have any empathy for people who leave a bunch of crap in their car.

Sure, it would be easier to leave my lap top, ipad, briefcase, cell phone, etc. in my car.

DON’T BE LAZY. BRING YOU BELONGINGS IN THE HOUSE!

24 Anon January 21, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I live right on Buena Vista Ave right by Alverado. I’m glad to read this. I’ve personally never had a problem in the area, but my mom lives off alverado and while she was on vacation last year someone tried and failed to break in. There was a white SUV spotted in the area at the time. Most recently she had some packages stolen before Christmas. I sure hope the SOB is caught before one of us catch him. Personally our home is armed and we have dogs so hopefully they don’t give us reason to defend property or home. Last thing needed is more burden relating to my animals or firearms, but that is what they are there for. A fence only holds out the good people.

Not everyone in the area has a garage. Some just long driveways.

The lighting on Alverado is terrible.

25 Idiocracy January 21, 2014 at 11:30 AM

How about we just create IQ standards for our overpriced area! I notice only morons commit crimes all the time. Makes sense to just segregate mental cases. set it up like fast trak…If your too stupid you get a device implanted in your stupid head… the rest of us who work and try to be civilized get no such implant and are free to roam. Sounds mean but ppl would start reading when told in school if they saw the class clown who graduated last year living on stupid street with the stupids. We could call the area Stupidville oh wait that’s Antioch and pittsburg and Oakland and soon to be Concord

26 WC Residents January 21, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I think it is terrible that if you sometimes forget and leave a jacket or something in your car, and someone breaks in and destroys a window to take stuff. It is not right to blame the victim! It is not being stupid or whatever…. It is a crime created by freaks that walk the streets looking in your cars waiting for you to forget and then they make their attacks. Just do not forget that you should not blame the victim in crimes. Rape, vandalism, and all the rest. Not our fault!!!!

27 Craig January 21, 2014 at 9:24 PM

@ WC Resident~~~26

People blame the victim when a crime could’ve been EASILY AVOIDED with GOOD JUDGMENT.

I live in the Northgate section of WC and a lot of my neighbors don’t use their garages. They would rather park on the driveway or in front of the house because it’s “more convenient.”

That’s their prerogative…..it’s your vehicle. But don’t come whining to me if it’s broken into, because I don’t want to hear it!

Park you vehicles in the garage, use anti-theft devices when in public, get a locking mailbox and have “signature required” on your packages.

It would eliminate 1/4 of the stories on Claycord, but it would be LESS CRIME!!!