HomeGoods to Add Automatic Doors, More Parking at Old Barnes & Noble Location

January 20, 2014 9:03 am · 28 comments

HomeGoods, which is moving into the old Barnes & Noble building on Contra Costa Blvd., is planning to give the building a little makeover, according to the City of Pleasant Hill.

The following information is from City Manager June Catalano:

“Improvements include a new storefront with new automatic doors, a color change, minor landscape changes, removal of the existing chain-link trash enclosure and small planter adjacent to the truck dock (to be replaced with a new trash compactor concrete pad) and a new metal framed door through the existing CMU wall. Additionally, the proposal includes two new accessible parking spots.”

HomeGoods is set to open in early 2014.

{ 28 comments }

1 Can I submit a bid...?? January 20, 2014 at 9:17 AM

this workscope is pretty throrough….better than I get from some developers….

2 Wow January 20, 2014 at 9:55 AM

How exciting, another notch lower for the area.

3 Julie January 20, 2014 at 10:01 AM

Automatic doors are a must if you have a shopping cart. I guess it wasn’t necessary at Barnes and Nobles.

It’s a convenience, but I’m sure automatic doors cost more.

4 Anon January 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM

16 stores in 100 miles radius, already… do we need another one?

5 Awww yea! January 20, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I can’t wait!!!!! Love this store!!!!

6 BreakingJen January 20, 2014 at 11:10 AM

The tax revenue for the city will be higher with Home Goods than with B&N, sorry but that’s just the impact of having a wanted chain/retailer instead of a store that is always out-sold by an online competitor. As a resident of Pleasant Hill I think this is an improvement.

7 Antler January 20, 2014 at 11:45 AM

What is a CMU wall?

8 mutts January 20, 2014 at 11:54 AM

So what? This is the last thing we needed. Can get the same stuff right there at Target

9 Donna Sommersault January 20, 2014 at 12:07 PM

“Can get the same stuff right there at Target?”

Yes. Please continue shopping at Target.
You should probably never go to HG just to make a statement. Take a stand! Never shop there! Tell your friends and get them to join you. Please.

10 Ancient Mariner January 20, 2014 at 12:39 PM

CMU = Concrete Masonry Units.
Concrete blocks.

11 it's mE!! January 20, 2014 at 12:47 PM

This is the place where I’m going to get stuff for my dog now on ,its way cheaper than Pet smart.

12 Amy January 20, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I went to Barnes and Noble in Walnut Creek last Sat. and their underground parking lot was full so I had to find parking a few blocks away and the spaces were very narrow and hard to park in. Cars were in line waiting for parking ahead of me, too. I will not go back to that location. Anyone know where I can buy new books other than Amazon? Half Price Books has been picked over. Berkshire Books smells nasty. Besides sometimes I just want a new book.

13 mutts January 20, 2014 at 1:16 PM

Donna, I don’t even go to Target anymore. Found out I don’t need “stuff” anymore. The less stuff we have, the better we are. I’ve never seen a necessity in Home Goods. Wish I realized this years ago.

14 @Amy January 20, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Well your first mistake was trying to find parking in downtown Walnut Creek on a Saturday.

As to your question, Target, Walmart, etc. all carry books as well. You can also buy books from Barnes and Noble online.

15 Antler January 20, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Thank you, ancient one!

16 Antler January 20, 2014 at 1:50 PM

AMY! For an entire DAY of fun in Walnut Creek pull up in front of PF Chang’s at about 11am, and use their valet parking……..all day. It’s worth every penny because you do not worry about getting back to the car in time. Then you can walk alllllllll over the place. If you walk in a “daisy petal loop” pattern (out a block and around to start….repeat until you’re tired), you can even give your packages to the valet and he will go lock them up in your car. I enjoy the food at Chang’s, so that’s an added advantage, as they validate the parking tab…..at least part of fee is taken off.

17 Are ANY of you people EVER happy? January 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM

You complain about everything. That’s my complaint.

18 Happy One January 20, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Amy, Costco has a lot of the best sellers.

You might like an e-reader. You can purchase and download books in a matter of seconds from the comfort of your home, usually for less money than you’d pay for a physical book. If you are anti-Amazon, consider a Nook from Barnes and Noble. I’m happy with my Kindle from Amazon. If you have a tablet, you can down load an app from either Amazon or B & N and read on your tablet.

The parking situation near Broadway Plaza is only going to get worse. They are about to tear down all the stores between Macy’s and Nordstom, including the old parking structure back there. It’s going to take the developer two years to rebuild it all.

19 itsme January 20, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I thought The Willows would have been a good spot for Home Goods. Sure would have been nice to have the tax revenue in Concord.

20 Angelica January 20, 2014 at 5:28 PM

I’ve never been to a Home Goods. Think I’ll check it out……

Thanks for the automatic doors. With little kids in tow, it’s harder than shopping carts!

21 dinkydau January 20, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Never have been to one of these stores. Hope they don’t have cheap stuff like the furniture at Walmart and Ikea.

22 bluebird January 20, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Cheap but not as cheap as Walmart or Ikea. More like the furniture at Target. Nobody makes furniture to last more than a few years, much like cars today. We live in a throw away world.

23 Amy January 20, 2014 at 8:21 PM

@ Antler – thanks for the tip about parking in downtown W.C. Great idea.
@ Happy One – I like the feel of a real book. I like looking at it before I buy it. I like turning the pages as I read. If I like it I can pass it on to a friend or keep it on my book shelf. Call me old fashioned. I forgot about all the books at Costco. Thanks.

24 Happy One January 20, 2014 at 9:10 PM

For those of you who have never been to a HomeGoods store – it’s owned by the same company that owns TJMaxx and Marshall’s. It sells the same stuff you find in the home goods section of TJMaxx, only a lot bigger selection. Lots of dishes, pots and pans, kitchen items, bedding, towels, mirrors, mass produced artwork, lamps, furniture odds and ends, rugs, and decorative items.

I like HomeGoods. It’s a great place to shop if you need new towels for the bathroom or new throw pillows for the couch or a new lamp for the bedroom. There’s one in Moraga. If it’s good enough for the fine ladies of Moraga….

25 Anon. January 21, 2014 at 8:52 AM

@ #19- you are right on the money! I feel the exact same way.

26 RanchgirlCA January 21, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I love HomeGoods. They have great prices and some nice things and a good variety. Been going there for outdoor pottery and kitchen gadgets.

Amy, Another way to handle the downtown rush is to go as early as you can. I’ve never had much luck parking under B&N, plus its really a small, dark and creepy lot (IMO), but park in the lots above Ruth Chris, The Cheesecake Factory or the movie theatre. It’s very easy to find parking early in the day.

27 macawlady January 22, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I miss B&N. Home Goods is just okay in my opinion, nothing to write home about. (pun unintentional)
To all those complaining about parking in Walnut Creek, you do have an alternative. I was there yesterday and took Bart & the free shuttle, which leaves the Bart station every 15 minutes. Had a great time, no parking worries and someone else drives. Try it, you’ll like it.

28 Cletis January 22, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Imagine that automatic doors, what will they think of next