State of CA Releases Latest Flu Death Stats

January 18, 2014 10:00 am · 39 comments

California Department of Public Health officials said today there have been 45 influenza deaths statewide and 50 more suspected cases as of Jan. 11.

The 45 deaths include two pediatric deaths and the majority of the 45 deaths were of unvaccinated people, said Dr. Gil Chavez, deputy director and state epidemiologist with the Department of Public Health’s Center for Infectious Diseases.

There have been at least 21 flu deaths in the Bay Area as of Wednesday, according to local health departments. That number is higher than the 14 confirmed in the region so far by the state Department of Public Health.

Chavez said county public health departments are on the front lines regarding flu deaths and are the first to report them to the community.

“There will be a lag before they report them to us,” Chavez said.

The California Department of Public Health is also not required to report flu deaths of people over age 65, Chavez said.

There were 106 flu deaths in California during the 2012-2013 season, Chavez said. He said the 2013-2014 flu season has not yet peaked.

The H1N1 “swine flu” strain is predominant this season, according to Chavez.

“We are clearly in the midst of what appears to be an earlier peaking, severe flu season, and I encourage everyone who has not yet gotten a flu vaccination to do so,” California Department of Public Health director Dr. Ron Chapman said.

Public health officials did not have a regional breakdown of where the flu is hitting hardest. They said the flu has been reported statewide.

Dr. James Watt, chief of the state’s Division of Communicable Disease Control, said there won’t be data on the proportion of California’s population that has been vaccinated until after the current flu season.

A predominant number of those under 65 who have died of the flu had underlying health conditions that put them more at risk, Watt said.

Those conditions typically include heart and lung disease, HIV, cancer and obesity, Watt said. Pregnant women also appear to be at risk of contracting the H1N1 virus, he said.

This season’s flu also is affecting young adults.

In Sonoma County, Matthew Walker, 23, of Santa Rosa succumbed to the flu.

Public health officials said there is plenty of influenza vaccine. The state public health department has purchased 50,000 doses for local health departments.

There are also 290,000 federally purchased doses via the Vaccines for Children program, with the doses available for local health departments or private providers, according to the Department of Public Health.

There also is no known widespread shortage of anti-viral medication to treat the influenza, public health officials said.

© 2014 by Bay City News, Inc. — Republication, Rebroadcast or any other Reuse without the express written consent of Bay City News, Inc. is prohibited.

{ 39 comments }

1 Zzz January 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Your adt ad is taking over your website

2 The Sheep will line up to get the poisonous flu shots January 18, 2014 at 11:18 AM

3 The Flu Shot: Poison or Protection? January 18, 2014 at 11:24 AM
4 anon January 18, 2014 at 12:02 PM

majority of the deaths did not get the flu shot. hmm wonder what the exact stat is and why those that did get the shot did die. i thought the shot was supposed to cover the h1n1. but to die from the flu after getting the shot. i wonder about that.

5 itsme January 18, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Why wouldn’t the health dept be required to report flu deaths in people over the age of 65? That doesn’t make sense.

6 IEatBabyUnicorns January 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM

So, is the flu virus getting stronger or are our immune systems weaker?
Or is the media sensationalizing the threat to scare us into getting a flu shot?

7 anon January 18, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Imagine how many more cases of the flu there would be if we did not have the warmer weather. We would be huddling inside and sneezing on people all around us.

8 No comments---guess the naysayers all died off January 18, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Didn’t get their shots, didn’t survive. R.I.P.

9 Silva January 18, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I started getting my yearly flu shot when my school age children brought a steady stream of illnesses home. I haven’t had the flu since. If they would have injected my kids back then they would have had theirs too! My mom almost died of the flu the year she didn’t get her shot.

10 hope January 18, 2014 at 1:30 PM

“The 45 deaths include two pediatric deaths and the majority of the 45 deaths were of unvaccinated people” Well how many exactly? the majority could be 40/45 or 30/45 even 23/45 of which were not vaccinated. Either way, if the vaccines worked, all of them would have been unvaccinated. Keep in mind, H1N1 WAS part of the cocktail this time around. Let us have the real information, and not just the stats that favor you.

11 23 Seniors Died After Receiving This Year’s Flu Shot Sold by Pharmacies January 18, 2014 at 2:08 PM
12 Flu Shot Scam January 18, 2014 at 2:29 PM

FLU SHOT SCAM…..Dr. Schulze’s Special Report….

-Dr. J Anthony Morris (former Chief Vaccine Control Officer at the FDA) states:
“There is no evidence that any influenza vaccine thus far developed is effective in preventing or mitigating any attack of influenza. The producers of these vaccines know that they are worthless, but they go on selling them anyway.”

-There are literally thousands of strains of influenza, and they are ALWAYS mutating. This is what makes it possible for you to get infected multiple times in one year, and also why it is impossible to accurately design a flu shot. But regardless of these facts and since trillions of dollars of profit are at stake, every year medical health officials and pharmaceutical companies produce a new flu vaccine.

-As you can guess, the “flu experts” are always wrong, and most of the time, way off. In fact, almost every single year medical officials are forced to admit that millions of people in America have been vaccinated with influenza strains that never existed.

FLU VACCINE IS POISON!!!

Because they must begin manufacturing the flu vaccine nearly a year before it is released, it is literally FILLED with dangerous preservatives. Below is a short list of some of the disgusting, toxic chemicals used to create the typical flu vaccine:

-ETHYLENE GLYCOL: Used as automobile antifreeze.

-CARBOLIC ACID: A toxic, caustic poison

-FORMALDEHYDE: Embalming fluid that causes cancer

-ALUMINUM: Causes Alzheimer’s disease, seizures and cancer

-MERCURY: Extremely toxic heavy metal that kills brain, nerve and immune cells and whose use in the vaccine preservative Thimerosal, is linked to many childhood brain and nerve diseases, including autism.

13 Elwood January 18, 2014 at 2:40 PM

“majority of the deaths did not get the flu shot.”

Speaks for itself, nit pickers.

No vaccine is 100% effective.

Will Rogers should have said “The good Lord must have loved stupid people ’cause he made so many of therm.”

14 The Theorist January 18, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Mandatory vaccinations for children… then mandatory vaccinations for what? government workers? Private workers? They could slip it into an amendment of Obamacare… employers will be fined they don’t make sure their employees aren’t up to date. You’re anti-vax? Sorry, we have to terminate your employment.
Mandatory vaccinations to be out in public? “Paper’s please!”
Be weary of your government.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not anti-vaccination. I’m pro-liberty.
Scientifically speaking, I absolutely think those at HIGH risk should be encouraged voluntary access to low to no cost vaccinations.
The rest of us have healthy immune systems.

15 Who should I listen to... January 18, 2014 at 3:41 PM

…the men and women who dedicated their lives to studying how to keep their fellow human beings alive and healthy, or arm chair Internet chemists that are likely afraid of chemtrails and black helicopters? Yeah. I think the best course of action is to not listen to Claycord’s lunatic fringe and keep getting my flu shot.

As for the minority who died from H1N1, you realize there are likely other factors involved? Right? Nothing is 100%. Getting your flu shot is preventive care, not a magical immortal elixir. An incredibly small percentage of people tragically dying from the flu after getting their shots is not proof that your ugly, harmful, uneducated opinions on the matter are valid.

16 It's all about the Money Dummy January 18, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Big Pharma makes trillions off of suckers like you.

17 @Flu Shot Scam, #12---that's why Dr. Morris is the FORMER fda employee January 18, 2014 at 6:45 PM

He also claimed that the very toxic dihydrogen monoxide is a component of most vaccines, but in such a small amount it isn’t dangerous. Who are you gonna believe, some doctor has-been, being quoted by a bunch of blog fanatics, or the numbers which support the value of vaccinations? Get yours, or risk serious illness.

18 I'd bet Dr. Jonas Salk was criticized for the "sugar cube" method January 18, 2014 at 6:58 PM

of administering the polio vaccine, but THAT worked, and polio has almost disappeared, world wide. But that was because everyone was onboard to take the vaccine.

19 Elwood January 18, 2014 at 7:19 PM

When if first came out, blacks wouldn’t take the polio vaccine because they believed it was whitey’s plot to sterilize the black race.

If anything, people have gotten stupider since then.

20 Cowellian January 18, 2014 at 7:49 PM

@16,
So you’re willing to let a lot of people die to prevent the pharmaceutical companies from making any money?

21 VikingPrincess January 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM

@The Theorist

Nowadays they give option of wearing a surgical mask if you decline some shots to those working or volunteering in capacities where close contact and touch are regular or medically ill or at risk. Unfortunately they have been getting more aggressive and invasive with certain immunizations – such as chickenpox, Hepatitis and TB testing. If you never had chicken pox…they make you get the shot and prove immunization by blood testing if you want employment.

Carefully keep records so you are not over immunized and ask questions if they try to give you a shot or bllod test….like, what is that for? If it differs from your conversation with the doc or your records speak up. Keep in mind not all docs are on the cutting edge with Public Health. The health plans latest and greatest goals to test everyone for Hep B does not mean you should have the test. Find out how long your immunizations are good for.

The last two times I went there were terrible mix ups…In every case, I was correct. I allowed the doc to test me to placate her insistent mindset that I will need a Hep B booster shot. All because the health plan was on a wild hair to immunize like there’s no tomorrow. I was correct and still had immunization. I was charged for that fang test too. But when I showed up for results the nurse had prepped me for chicken pox…I needed neither – if I’d leybit go I would have been given a shot. She called the doc and decided I needed the H1N1 – I took the shot and threw up like Huber morning sickness an hours later.

Either way…. I know the difference and some things still potentially get past me. For those that don’t. I worry.;)

22 @Elwood, #19---the extent of that stupidity is evident on this blog January 18, 2014 at 7:55 PM

It’s a good thing these folks weren’t around back then, or polio would still be a serious threat. However, with their attitudes, and apparently being right-wing wackos, mostly, they’ll soon die off. Just think; as they age, there’ll be no food stamps to help sustain them, there’ll be no senior programs, and because they all voted against it, likely no Social Security or medical care, unless the millionaires among them step up to offer aid. (good luck with that)

23 valiii January 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM

This is not the year to skip getting a flu shot. Lots of younger people are getting hit pretty hard. I think the Bay Area has over 20 deaths from flu so far, this season. If you’re worried about the mercury, tell them you’re allergic to thimerasol when you get the shot. The “single-dose”, pre-filled syringes generally don’t have the preservatives. The mercury is usually in the multi-dose vials. H1N1 has been pretty bad this year. I know a middle-aged woman who was in ICU because of this.

24 Yhe Phantom January 19, 2014 at 12:36 AM

Elwood,

Guns and Germs and we’re on the same side of the street…pull up a chair and we can watch Darwin’s Law in action…and I will leave out the Evolution part…

#23 doesn’t know your politics…oh well.

You know that Polio is out there. It never went “away”.

25 Never had one, and never will January 19, 2014 at 7:26 AM

Eat healthy, take care of yourself and you will have a strong immune system.

No need to inject yourself with toxic chemicals.

26 question ... January 19, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Are most of these deaths from pneumonia due to H1N1??

27 jb January 19, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I do not get the flu shot now…as whenever I get the shot I get the flu….

So why bother…if I am going to get it…will get it…..and I refuse to get
a shot at a pharmacy…had to get dads shot there….and they do not
know how to give shots…and hurt him…just putting the needle in at the bone…..they need to get these people educated on how to give a shot.

28 Gus January 19, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Yes #26 you attitude is what kept the 1918 flu season from becoming an epidemic, oh wait . . .

Arguing and posturing for your favorite conspiracy theory won’t really change anything. People will always die.

As my ancestors would say, go die in a way that seems right to you. Flu shot or no flu shot, you’ll probably die of something else anyway. I work around a lot of people who would be susceptible to the flu and I don’t mind doing it for them.

As for the cost, at Safeway it’s $30, comes with a 10% coupon, bought $200 dollars in groceries. So it only cost me 10 bucks. If that blows your budget odds are you are going to die of malnutrition anyway. Or is Safeway food part of the conspiracy?

29 Antler January 19, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Hello, valiii at #24 ~ ~ ~ I can only explain my individual situation, which led to my choice not to receive the flu vaccine this particular year.

Years ago, my eyeballs gradually became beet-red and painful due to what patch tests confirmed was my allergy to the Thimerosol used in contact lens cleaning solutions. Thimerosol is the mercury derivative which is also used as a preservative in flu and other vaccines.

No problem. The release form at the pharmacy asks about allergies, and one has to fill out that form every year; so the staff there simply gave me the alternative shot preparation. Once I turned 65, they offered me the double-strength vaccine…but it is only available with the thimerosol preservative in it! For about 8 years, I reasoned to myself and to the pharmacist that my reaction to thimerosol had been localized rather than systemic, and that I did want to risk taking the double-strength vaccine. Keep in mind that the double-strength form is LIVE VIRUS.

Following that routine every year went well right up until I was 73 in fall of 2012. That year, within 12 days of having had my shot, I came down with flu with fever, headache, and joint plus abdominal pain so bad that I had to go to ER for treatment and observation. So this year, I have decided it is not wise to put H1N1 live virus into my body!

My decision places responsibility on me to wash my hands frequently, to use the sanitary wipes provided by grocery stores on my own hands and on the shopping cart handlebar, to stay well away from anyone who is coughing and sneezing (or who looks feverish), to carry a clean surgical mask for my own use on those rare occasions when I am “trapped” in line or near an obviously ill person, and to watch my own diet, etc.. My close neighbors, friends, and I have discussed my predicament; so those with school children are not visiting and have explained to their children why they cannot come over to visit me for a while either (oh, I do miss them…..so sweet).

So that’s it……not a dogma thing at all.

30 JWB January 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM

@Antler

The ONLY live flu vaccine licensed in the US is FluMist which is the nasal live attenuated flu vaccine. The attenuated flu virus only can grow in the lower temperature in your nasal passage and not at your normal body temperature. Also FluMist is only approved for ages 2 to 49.

So you could not have gotten any live influenza vaccine shots even in previousl years, because no live influenze vaccine is licensed ofr has been licensed at least in the past 10 years in the US for people over 49 years of age.

31 Has anyone ever January 19, 2014 at 11:34 AM

counted how many times Antler writes “I” or “me” in any of her posts. I don’t have the time or inclination, but from an unscientific observation it looks like most posts are all about Antler and how great and wonderful she is compared to anyone else. Somehow this old gal is just a step above anyone else, in her mind, and she does not hesitate to point that out at any opportunity that presents itself.

32 And if there is not enough to thinkg about January 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM

California has seen a sharp increase in cases of whooping cough, a highly contagious respiratory disease once thought to be nearly eradicated.

State data shows the number of reported cases of whooping cough, also known as pertussis, rose from 1,023 in 2012 to 1,669 last year. About 83 percent of the cases were in children ages 7 to 16, the Sacramento Bee reported Sunday. Ninety-nine patients went to the hospital, but no deaths were reported.

California health officials say one reason for the increase is declining immunity among children who were vaccinated years earlier but haven’t gotten the booster shot recommended at ages 11 or 12. Other factors include the disease’s cyclical nature and more parents opting out of immunizations for their children.

33 Cowellian January 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Has anyone ever@32,
Apparently, Antler has more to offer the conversation than you do.

34 Happy One January 19, 2014 at 12:25 PM

Has anyone ever #32,

When you post a silly personal attack like that, the only one who looks bad is you.

35 ChampagneKitty January 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM

to Has anyone ever #32–Antler is one of the most prolific commenters here on Claycord and has been recognized as such during the annual Best of Claycord recognition. Claycord would not be where it is today if it were not in part due to her.

Antler is merely contributing her two cents to this conversation just like everyone else. The flu shot is a hot topic and she just wanted to give her point of view. I’m sorry that you feel that you have to attack her for it.

36 Happy One January 19, 2014 at 1:18 PM

JWB is correct, Antler. The only flu vaccine with live virus is the FluMist nasal spray. Here’s the chart of available vaccines from the CDC’s website:

I’m not saying you didn’t get the flu after you got the shot, but I don’t think you could have gotten the flu from the shot. The shot isn’t 100% effective, so perhaps you were just one of the unlucky ones who got the flu despite having had the shot. Or perhaps you were exposed to the flu virus before the vaccine had a chance to build up your immunity. It takes about two weeks to build up the antibodies. Or perhaps you got a strain that wasn’t included in shot.

If you are more comfortable getting the regular dose shot, you can still get that even if you are over 65. The CDC doesn’t make a recommendation one way or the other. The higher dose shot has been shown to create a stronger immune response, but studies are still underway to determine if that leads to fewer cases of the flu. Here’s the CDC info on it:

37 Antler January 19, 2014 at 1:32 PM

My heartfelt appreciation for the written support from some of you who understand my reason for posting a personal experience and who realize that it is nigh impossible for a writer to do that without using personal pronouns! The alternative is to refer to oneself in the third person, and Antler hardly ever does that except when Antler is exasperated with Antlerself. ;-)

JWB at #31 ~ ~ ~ Yes, you are absolutely correct! Antler (who is exasperated with Antlerself for Antler’s error) was very sloppy with Antler’s wording and didn’t realize until your post that Antler was using the words “shot” and “vaccine” as though they are interchangeable. Sincere thanks for both the accurate information and your calm explanation.

Bottom line is that previously I couldn’t get the shot for one reason…. but this year felt there was cause not to get the nasal mist (live virus) for another reason, specific only to what happened to me in late 2012.

38 Antler January 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM

Happy One at #37 ~ ~ ~ You and I were “in moderation” at the same time. Because the incubation time was spot on….and because truly I had not been around anyone with flu (much less that incredibly severe sort of flu, which I never had experienced), and because of my age bracket…. I dare not assume it was coincidence. But I am NOT telling anyone else what to do! As I wrote previously, my decision was not a dogma thing at all. In all previous years, I have insisted on getting myself vaccinated (shot, spray, sugar cube, arm scratched and solution rubbed in, or whatever).

39 JWB January 19, 2014 at 5:57 PM

@ Antler

I hope for you that our doctord did not give you the FluMist in 2012 and/or did not suggest that you should get it in 2013. FluMist is only approved for ages 2 through 49. Which means the product has not been tested for safety and efficacy in patients 50 and older.

There is now a high dose split vaccine from Sanofi (Fluzone High Dose) for people 65 and oder but this one does not contain live virus. The virus is first inactivated with one chemical and then the viral particles get treated with a second chemical to disrupt the paticles (thus split).