UPDATE: “Friend” Leaves Scene After Accidentally Lighting Kid on Fire Outside Concord BART

January 16, 2014 · 71 comments

As Claycord.com first reported, a teenage boy suffered significant burns when his clothing caught fire outside the Concord BART station late Wednesday night.

At about 11:35 p.m. Wednesday, police and fire crews responded to a report of a male on fire at the BART station, located at 1451 Oakland Ave., a Contra Costa County fire dispatcher said.

When emergency crews arrived, they found the victim suffering from burns and airlifted him to a hospital.

BART police Lt. Mike Hayes said it appears that a short time earlier, the boy had been working on a car belonging to someone he met at a nearby store. While working on the vehicle, he spilled gasoline on himself.

The boy told police that the driver then dropped him off at the Concord BART station and lit a cigarette before departing, Hayes said.

Based on the initial investigation, Hayes said, it appears that the flame ignited the gasoline vapors coming from boy’s clothing.

The boy, who is 16-years-old, then jumped out of the vehicle and stripped off his burning clothes, Hayes said.

He suffered significant burns to his arms and chest, according to Hayes.

The driver of the vehicle had left the scene before police and firefighters arrived at the BART station, and police have not been able to identify that person.

BART police Sgt. Tom Smith said no suspects are in custody and detectives are checking surveillance video from Wednesday night.

RELATED STORY: UPDATE: Concord Burn Victim Being Transported by Helicopter to Hospital

1 That boy needs to hang around January 16, 2014 at 1:39 PM

with a better class of friends.

2 Silva January 16, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Poor kid. That’s quite the story though! However he got lit up, it’s a drag!

3 JD January 16, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Doesn’t add up. Sixteen-year-old met a stranger at a store at that hour? Fixed his car? Stranger takes off? They were up to something and it probably wasn’t good.

4 russ January 16, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Okay….where is Paul Harvey with the rest of the story?

5 Angelica January 16, 2014 at 1:57 PM

With friends like that who needs enemies.

6 Well.. January 16, 2014 at 2:02 PM

That boy should have been in school. Assuming school was in session today.

Burns are bad news and he will have a long road to recovery. Good Luck.

7 MB January 16, 2014 at 2:10 PM

It was 11:30 PM that’s night time……………

8 babytruck January 16, 2014 at 2:12 PM

To post #6: This happened last night at 1130 pm.

9 SeeK January 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM

@Well..
What schools do you think are in session at 11:35 p.m.?

10 EE January 16, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Agree with JD. This sounds like some pieces of the puzzle are missing.

11 VikingPrincess January 16, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Amazing cover up story for a huffer…

12 Meth Monsters January 16, 2014 at 2:34 PM

Hmmmmmmmm…. I’m pretty spun & this sounds fishy… Even to me!?!?

13 my guess January 16, 2014 at 2:34 PM

My guess is they were STEALING gasoline and the kid got fuel on him when it squirted out of his siphon hose unexpectedly.

I’ve worked on a fair number of cars in my day, never once having occasion to spill gasoline on myself. Gas goes from the pump to the tank, or from the pump to the can to the tank. Gasoline is not normally present when you’re fixing a car.

Friend got spooked because he was guilty of stealing gas too and took off

14 MikeyV January 16, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Yup. This sounds fishy now.

First, who works on cars at midnight that belong to strangers?
Second, if they actually were friends and knew each other, the other guy would have stayed around.

15 Momo January 16, 2014 at 2:40 PM

@13
I was thinking the exact same thing

16 Frank L. January 16, 2014 at 2:49 PM

What 16 yr. old kids works on a car at 11:35 p.m. for someone he met at a store?

Sounds to me like 2 kids siphoning gas. I’ve never gotten gas all over me while “working on a car.” It doesn’t make any sense.

17 Sacto Rob January 16, 2014 at 2:52 PM

So 16 year-old sees a pretty gal in distress outside a store and offers to help. He gets her car running and to return the favor agrees to drop him off at the BART station. The poor kid then lights a cigaret; the driver of the car, aware or not, drives away.
I don;t know whether this is what happened, but it’s not necessary to believe the worst about a situation until you better.

18 Dorothy January 16, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Among all the other questions posted I want to know if any of the BART cameras picked up any of this. Might help find the one that drove off into the night.

19 jtkatec January 16, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Burns, how horrible and painful.

My thoughts are with this young man.

20 Well.. January 16, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Opps! My mistake. I read it as 1130 AM.

21 mike mac January 16, 2014 at 3:28 PM

I call BS….What really was happening? Who is paying for the medical bills?

22 J. January 16, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Haven’t y’all heard of “midnight auto repair”? It’s very common. It’s similar to the midnight lumber yard.

23 N C Biker January 16, 2014 at 3:46 PM

The siphon thing sounds about right.
It’s definitely a b. s . Story.
But a terrible way to learn a lesson,

24 Sacto rob January 16, 2014 at 4:01 PM

So under your hopeful assumption, the pretty girl’s car had a leak in it’s gas tank and our hero slipped under the car to plug the hole with some Double Bubble and in turn got fuel on his hoodie?

Or, maybe she was driving an old carbureted V8 and he climbed into the engine compartment under the hood, took off the air cleaner and went about adjusting a carburetor that hasn’t been manufactured since before he was born (but he’s an expert on side of the road carburetor adjustments). In doing so, he was laying on the open barrels of the carburetor when the fuel pump unexpectedly engaged and shot raw gas onto his hoodie.

Or, our damsel ran out of fuel and he politely went to the gas station to fill a gas can for her and the gas valve on the nozzle malfunctioned when he pulled it out of the gas can and fuel spewed all over him and the ground. I know that those nozzles are ALWAYS malfunctioning and spewing gas.

Or, on the way back to the car with fuel he tripped and fell, the gas can in his hand dropping and breaking open and then he fell face first into the puddle, rolled around a little in it, soaking his hoodie.

Or, he and a buddy from out of the area were in our lovely city at 11:15pm or so using a rubber hose (still in the getaway car) to siphon gasoline out of other cars, possibly those in that very BART parking lot. Gasoline vapors evaporate pretty quickly, so it was not long before that he must have been helping our pretty young girl, I’d guess within the prior 15 minutes or so. As he’s siphoning the gas and crouching down behind the car so as not to be seen, the gas spews out of the hose and onto his hoodie, which he is right next to because of his crouch.

Oh, and your theory surmises that the cigarette was lighted by our pretty young thing, she drove away, THEN our hero’s clothes caught fire. One of those delayed vapor explosions, sort of like a firework dud. There must have been an errant ash from her cigarette floating in the wind that didn’t ignite him until she had driven away, unable to see him burning in his mirrors or hear his screams.

Yeah, I think you nailed it.

25 Sandy Eggo January 16, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Haha, love it @Sacto Rob. Great investigative reasoning. :)

26 RANDOM TASK January 16, 2014 at 4:16 PM

so here is the scope …..said alleged burn victim …..needs ride to bart …..said alleged driver has no fuel ….said victim offers to steal some through a swap called hose to mouth…..successful they head to bart where said alleged driver says hey dude how bout a hit of some alleged illegal marijuana…..alleged victim says thanks dude and lights up not realizing his clothes with alleged stolen gas on them said slang joint ashed and alleged victim was told to get out so car does not burn and alleged driver not seeing any need to stay and get questioned for alleged crimes fled as said alleged victim was left to come up with story …….seems like a small circle of friends search will lead to said driver being questioned soon ….allegedly speaking

27 RANDOM TASK January 16, 2014 at 4:22 PM

the previous comment was paid for by the alleged unions working to make our lives allegedly better…..well actually paid for by us then since the unions launder our money on a regular basis to support dem campaigns….allegedly speaking with acception of said support being reported for conflict of interest

28 Sacto Rob January 16, 2014 at 4:33 PM

@#24. I see you’ve put a lot of thought and energy into this. Good for you.

“Well I’ve had a great night out with one of my hood friends driving around and siphoning gas out of strangers’ cars. Uh-oh! Looks like when stealing gas from that last car I got it all over my clothes. There’s only one thing to do: have my friend drop me off at the BART station in gasoline soaked clothes instead of having him drive me home with all the gas I just helped him steal. Boy, a cigaret should would taste good right now. It’ll probably also clear this horrible gasoline taste out of my mouth.”

Clogged fuel filters are a common occurance and one that’s pretty easily diagnosed by a 16-year old who’s ever seen one before. Ever try to switch out a fuel filter without getting gas on your hands? And considering it’s usually kinda chilly in Concord in January at 11:30 at night, it’s just conceivable he kept his jacket on while doing the work.

Assuming people are innocent until proven guitly isn’t just a good idea in law. It’s kind of a nice thing to assume about other people in general.

29 Rick January 16, 2014 at 5:32 PM

It’s rather obvious these guys were siphoning gas.

30 Anon January 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Hope that Claycord follows up on this story! What is a 16 year doing out that late on school night anyway? Thought there is 10pm curfew? I can only assume the kid was not from Concord? Seems like local High School kids would have posted if he was “known”..maybe dropped off at BART to go back to Oakland? Hope the year gets better!..two shootings…suicide..and now this? Regardless if this kid stole gas..my heart goes out to him. Long painful road ahead..

31 Curious George January 16, 2014 at 6:15 PM

11:30 at night???………….Do you know where your 16 year old is? I know I do, and it’s not in a Bart parking lot, that’s for sure. (Home hopefully I would like to think).

32 Amy January 16, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Darwinism at it’s finest.

33 A January 16, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Sounds like some grade A bs

34 anon January 16, 2014 at 6:43 PM

oh 24 that was funny. you need a personal title so i can read your future comments.
maybe if there were one red flag i would give the kid the benefit of the doubt. but too many red flags.

35 Claire January 16, 2014 at 6:56 PM

I think these kids were up to no good. Siphoning gas, and being stupid enough to light a cigarette knowing he had gas on his clothes.

Hopefully he learned a lesson.

36 @13 January 16, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Bingo,think you hit the nail on the head.

37 Richard Pryor January 16, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Similar to my experience: I dipped the cookies in the milk and the whole glass exploded, setting Me on Fire!..it was the damnest thing I have ever seen!

38 Fritzhugh Ludlow January 16, 2014 at 7:06 PM

It could have been Spontaneous Human Combustion.

39 @Random Task January 16, 2014 at 7:38 PM

I think you called it. Good detective work! Either that kid was high already or he’s just plain stupid, haha!

40 Miguel January 16, 2014 at 8:25 PM

These punks were siphoning gas. Serves him right to suffer. Idiot.

41 Mustang Sally January 16, 2014 at 8:35 PM

I don’t particularly care how the poor guy ended up on fire. He’s in the burn unit, and he’s in horrible pain, and it’ll get worse before it gets better. I hope he makes it. He’s somebody’s baby, and he deserves our prayers.

42 Dr. Jellyfinger January 16, 2014 at 9:30 PM

He was on fire at 11:30 pm? Bright boy!

43 ricardo January 16, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Cheap crack pipe?

44 Teacher Wannabe January 16, 2014 at 10:10 PM

@Random Task #27.You were doing great, why bring up unions and politics. Totally unrelated to the story. Just trolling I guess.

Everyone’s questioning the kid’s story. Why can’t he be telling the truth? There ARE some honest 16 year olds out there.

45 VikingPrincess January 16, 2014 at 10:45 PM

I had missed his age until revisiting this article. Hmm, well – his age is still irrelevant to anything, as I read it (except I guess a curfew).
Sad this happened but if all was in the up n up – why would his ride “flee the scene? Didn’t even offer to take him to the hospital? And after all that work he did on his car so he could drive him to Bart..ha! Oh, he’s just a guy he met next door to a store he walked into.

True, freak accidents occur…but the explanation is quite sketchy. I knew a retired school teacher who had scars on his mouth and one day he told me he got them as a stupid teen huffing. I think it was radiator fluid? He liked late nite car work too. He told me a about it and more…wow.

Either way..he had learned his lesson
And grew up to get his PhD and became a professor. So, I am not saying this is the case here, but if it is – I wish him well and hope he learned his lesson

46 Seriously? January 16, 2014 at 11:57 PM

What’s wrong with you people? There was an accident, and someone is badly hurt. Why does anyone feel the need to ‘predict’ how the accident occurred? Why must people immediately begin name calling and chastising and belittling, without knowing the facts? One fact we are sure of: a 16 year old is hospitalized with serious injuries. This poor boy deserves our heartfelt prayers, not our rude assumptions. Think before you speak, people!

47 Cowellian January 17, 2014 at 6:25 AM

Seriously?@46,
We talk about things here, that’s what this site is for.
Seriously!

48 Spencer January 17, 2014 at 6:57 AM

Any fool can see these punks were up to no good, and it’s a good thing that one of them at least is paying dearly for his deeds.
Bad things should always happen to bad people, in a perfect world. The world just got a tiny bit more perfect.

49 @Seriously? January 17, 2014 at 7:03 AM

Haven’t you learned anything from hanging out here? It’s always the victim’s fault.

50 The Mamba January 17, 2014 at 7:30 AM

Something’s fishy in this story. What kind of person meets a 16 year old and has him work on his car?

51 Mac January 17, 2014 at 8:09 AM

I think this teen learned a lesson.
Don`t steal gas and then go burn a fat one.

52 Dr. Jellyfinger January 17, 2014 at 8:12 AM

@46 – Well…. since you asked. I’ve got this rash that just puzzles the dickens out of me. I keep soaking it down with all the common topical anti fungal creams & I’m eating Benadryl like it’s Christmas candy. The dang thing goes away, but two or three days after my bi-monthly romp at Camp Au Naturel, it comes right back again!

53 VikingPrincess January 17, 2014 at 9:20 AM

LOL..

54 BCuzItzClaycord January 17, 2014 at 9:34 AM

#46 – try the fact that things in this story don’t add up. A 16 year old should be home, in bed, getting his rest for school the next day and not our and about by BART at 11:30 at night. And what kind of “friend” just leave someone burned and alone??????? And while we are at it…where the hell are the parents of said 16 year old. What kind of parents let a 16 year old stay out that late on a school night?????

55 GET REAL January 17, 2014 at 10:35 AM

@ Seriously?—-49

People blame the victim when they set themselves up. That’s where blaming the victim comes from.

If you leave your wallet or purse in an unlocked vehicle with the window down, and it gets stolen, do you really think people aren’t going to blame the victim?

WISE UP!!!

56 Marcus January 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM

These jerks were stealing gas. I hope this kid learned his lesson.

If you’re going to try to lie your way out of something, come up with a better lie.

Met someone at the store, and working on his car right before midnight? Yeah, right!

57 I'm no one to judge January 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM

BCuzItzClaycord; Hi. We raised a young man, he’s now 26, thankfully, a productive member of society and a father of a growing family. I really didn’t think he gave me much trouble growing up. I was wrong! Turns out he wasn’t always where I thought he was, as he later informed me. Lucky for everyone, no disasters. I also remember being a youngster a looooong time ago, and believe me, my parent didn’t know where I was on several occasions when she thought I was in my room asleep. I too turned out pretty well, thank God!! What we’ve been told about this incedent sounds pretty suspect, but when do we really get the whole story about anything?

58 JET January 17, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Time to quit smoking……

59 Silva January 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Lest we be really concerned for this individual, if there’s anything askew here, CPS will be right on it!

60 Keith January 17, 2014 at 11:55 AM

This story is bizarre. I also think these punks were siphoning gas. How else would gas get all over your clothes?

Don’t siphon gas, and don’t smoke with gasoline all over your clothes.

61 KenInConcord January 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM

You are all so full of yourselves.

I think????
I assume???
Probably???
I bet???
I hope???
Looks like???
It’s obvious???
My thoughts???

Does anyone “KNOW” anything here?
What I know for sure, a kid was burned and that is sad, everything else is just brainless chatter!

Making your comments appear on this blog does not make you interesting. Your comments are the equivalent a idiot rambling on a CB radio in the 70’s.

Get off your ass and do something productive!

I have things to do…. KenInConcord

62 Keith January 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM

@ Ken In Concord~~~~61

If you don’t like the comments of others, DON’T READ THEM!

This is a public blog, not your house.

Is he your son?

63 Laura January 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM

@Ken……#61

If you have better things to do, why are you here?

Calm down. Your rant is unnerving.

64 KenInConcord January 17, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Sorry I was hungry. I get that way before lunch!

65 Cowellian January 17, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Have a Snickers!
You’re not yourself when you’re hungry.

66 But REALLY !! January 17, 2014 at 9:09 PM

You people are MONSTERS! What the hell’s WRONG WITH YOU ALL?

67 anon January 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM

oh this is getting good now. thanks dr. j.f. that reminds me of ‘mickey blue eyes’. the son wasnt all there, and the dad would ask ‘what’s wrong w/ you?’ and the son would answer most seriously ‘i dont know’.

68 VikingPrincess January 17, 2014 at 9:52 PM

#66..OMG someone nermal

OK I don’t have much time and no sudden moves….I think this is a government experiment of some kind.

Aluminium foil hats work well when reading the blog, somehow it filters the trolls.

OK… no sudden moves.

Stay tuned

69 Cowellian January 17, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Nothing.
What’s wrong with you?

70 carguy1963 January 18, 2014 at 12:20 PM

So here is my question… Why is a 16 year old smoking?

71 VikingPrincess January 18, 2014 at 2:17 PM