Flu Virus Kills 48-year-old Contra Costa County Man

January 15, 2014 · 38 comments

A 48-year-old Contra Costa County man has died from the flu virus, according to the Contra Costa Health Department.

This is the second flu death this season in Contra Costa County.

On January 7th, it was announced that a 48-year-old Contra Costa County woman also died from the flu virus.

It is unknown if the latest victim had any underlying health conditions.

The H1N1 virus — sometimes called swine flu — surfaced in the United States in 2009, causing the first global pandemic in more than 40 years and resulting in a number of hospitalizations and deaths, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

1 Silva January 15, 2014 at 3:27 PM

C’mon folks, get your shot! The life you save may or may not be your own.

2 teri January 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM

You forgot about 1976. The Swine Flu Vaccine Disaster. I was a victim. It was the only time a vaccine has made me ill. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_swine_flu_outbreak

3 Stay away from Flu Shots January 15, 2014 at 4:28 PM

Google “Dangerous Chemicals in Flu Shots”

Flu Shots are very toxic and you should stay away from them.

4 michael g. January 15, 2014 at 4:33 PM

@teri, so sorry to hear that, I remember my mom urging my grandparants to get their vaccine, they finally did, then the news started coming out. They were fine, thankfully. As I remember, they were just recommending the vaccine to older people. I sure hope you recovered fully.

5 @teri January 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

Are you aware of the concept of risk vs. reward?

6 Futurama January 15, 2014 at 5:16 PM

You all are missing the bigger picture here… We need to eradicate the elderly before they hit the dreaded four-eight. We’ve already had 2 deaths this year why won’t you all just do what needs to be done? Think of all the children who are home scared right now because their parents are about to hit that age? WHY WON’T SOMEONE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

7 Watch this before you get a Flu Shot January 15, 2014 at 5:22 PM
8 DR. Mercola on the Dangers of Flu Shots January 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM
9 truth January 15, 2014 at 5:26 PM

The best thing to do is eat healthy take your vitamins and look up minerals to take. Flu shots are deadly never get anything like that. I’ve been healthy for years with only one allergy that was minor but never been severe sick. Don’t let them say ohh its a small dosage it wont hurt you. Ahh bs, its dangerous

10 teri January 15, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I’m fine. I didn’t get Guillain–Barré syndrome. But my whole body hurt. I felt like I was going to die. I’ve gotten several flu shots since then with no problem.

11 Well......... January 15, 2014 at 5:44 PM

H1N1 is a scam just to scare people into getting the shot so the drug company’s can get richer.Do people die from the Flu yes but there’s almost always underlying medical issue’s with the people that pass .Don’t Belive The HYPE

12 VikingPrincess January 15, 2014 at 5:54 PM

@Teri…do you mean risk vs benefits?
I have and understand your concern.
Was recently required to take it and had a case of constant spontaneous vomiting an hour later. Never had that before. I understand the intent but I don’t think people should be required.

There is apparently a newer strain out..(per a reliable source)I think it was H2 or H3 but have not heard anything since. Hopefully not because the strain is getting resilient.

Either way… anyone who chooses not to take…I don’t blame you.

13 Vaccinated January 15, 2014 at 6:12 PM

I work at a local hospital and last time I heard the census was over 400. That’s over 400 local residents in the hospital due to this flu. I was vaccinated and now I feel a little sick. Not sure if it’s due to the vaccination or not, but I usually feel it after being vaccinated.

14 Yhe Phantom January 15, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Darwin’s Law provides self-solving elimination of the mentally deficient.

The reason non-inoculated people don’t get the flu is because everyone else in their domain did. Read books about the germ theory of disease.

If a vector crosses into their domain, they are at risk…and each year’s build up super protects the inoculated.

Rock on homeopathic healers but get a good final arrangements policy from Colonial Life.

Extreme hospital treatment and urgent care is covered by ObamaCare.

15 Jess January 15, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Glad I got my flu shot. So did my husband and kids. I don’t want to get sick. I’m healthy, so chances are I’d be miserable, but recover. But I don’t want to take the chance of passing it on to someone who might not recover. Just heard on the news that we are contagious the day before flu symptoms appear. Getting a flu shot is the responsible thing to do.

#8, Joseph Mercola is a quack. Read this:

16 Cowellian January 15, 2014 at 7:08 PM

A lot of people complain about flu shots, but at least they’re around to complain. The flu kills, flu shots don’t!

17 VikingPrincess January 15, 2014 at 7:44 PM

@vaccinated – don’t doubt the importance of the vaccine or the effects of the virus. But I’d be curious where those numbers came from. Are they via reportable symptoms or actual Diagnosis via pathology/toxicology report. It IS flu season Jan Feb with high death rate no matter what strain.

18 Always Right January 15, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Can’t believe I actually agree with something Phantom said.

The internet is full of nonsense, including the likes of those who insist the flu shots are dangerous. Flu shots are very safe and effective. Many lives are saved each year, and thousands of people avoid hospitalization by getting their flu shots.

The Obama administration has compromised the military and used the IRS as a political weapon. These facts are public record. However I don’t believe for a minute this administration is poisoning the flu vaccine, That conspiracy theory is just silly.

19 @Phantom January 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM

If your first statement is true, you would
most surely be deceased.

20 JayZ January 15, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Anti-Vax’ers are the reason we have cases of Mumps, Whooping Cough & Chicken Pox floating around again.

Unfortunately the viruses don’t just kill the idiots who can’t think past their own fear and stupid ass “TV doctors” – their selfish and mentally retarded actions put infants and immuno-suppressed people who can not get vaccinated at risk of contracting deadly diseases.

All you have to do is read the VERY EASY TO UNDERSTAND articles on herd immunity to understand the protective barrier that our community can create around the very young and infirm.

Or you can live in your fear bubble, scream about some idiotic anecdote of your uncle who died from the flu shot or some bullcock about it being a government conspiracy to track us all (turn off your cellphone idiot) and help bring back diseases that have been absent in the US for many years.

HELL – LETS BRING BACK POLIO ASSHOLES! Lets get some crippled people in here!!

21 SpeciesType January 15, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Touch screens (ATM, cellphones, etc.)
responsible for increased incidence of
flu.

22 VikingPrincess January 15, 2014 at 10:38 PM

We are now battling more cases of TB and other sorts, as a result of the immunosuppressed.

Not much into Conspiracy Theories but I would not discount it 100%. Don’t forget Suxtnet. I poopooed a few that insisted the govt was using Facebook and LinkedIn to spy on us …LOL. turned out to be more than that a few years later..

23 anon January 16, 2014 at 6:46 AM

No one in my house has had a flu shot. My kids were vaccinated for everything else but we don’t do flu shots. How can you get a shot for something if you don’t know what strain it will be??? Everyone I know that had the shot has been sick anyway so it doesn’t seem to be working this year.

If you’re sick stay home, don’t expose the big more than you have too.

24 The Mamba January 16, 2014 at 7:26 AM

The flu is targeting 48 year olds! Get a flu shot if you are 48!

25 gumi January 16, 2014 at 7:49 AM

If you do not like, do not get it. If you like it , get it. That is simple. There is no reason to attack somebody who makes whatever decision on a flu shot.
People misunderstand the effectiveness of a flu shot. You still can get a flu even if you get vaccinated, but it normally(normally ,not always) prevents you from getting very sick and getting complications.
Also, a flu and a bad cold are different. If you even once have gotten a real flu, you know the difference. A lot of my friends told me they got a flu while they just had a bad cold. If you get a flu, you can hardly get out of your bed.

26 Bailey January 16, 2014 at 10:29 AM

JayZ: My thoughts exactly

27 Chris January 16, 2014 at 10:41 AM

My dad was the 48 year old man in contra costa county that passed away from the flu and all i can say to people out there is to PLEASE go get your flu shots. It really is worth it, you dont want your family to have to deal with something like we just did.

28 ANNONeeemoose January 16, 2014 at 10:58 AM

anon 23. Ok, your logic is just bizarre especially as it relates to this year. Yes, they use known strains and “guess” at future strains, but what is killing people this year IS A KNOWN STRAIN. It is the H1N1 of 2009. So, get your shot.

29 scooter January 16, 2014 at 11:07 AM

What a bunch of idiots that post here….hypochondriacs with psychosomatic symptoms….you are sick alright….in the head. Damn alarmists spreading false conspiracy theories….just get the damn flu shot, its not gonna hurt you, but definitely can help you.

30 VikingPrincess January 16, 2014 at 11:55 AM

@gumi
Excellent comment.

31 Get Vaccinated! January 16, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Vaccinations do a lot more good than harm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfdZTZQvuCo

32 Danielle January 16, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Being married to an MD, you would think I’d get a flu shot. I rarely get sick, so I don’t. Haven’t had the flu since I was a kid.

I do think it’s a good idea for those who get the flu, or anyone who’s immunity isn’t what it used to be.

33 anon January 16, 2014 at 2:03 PM

So #28 did the psychic tell them that the 2009 flu would be the strain that would appear this year?? I know of at least four people that had the flu shot before Christmas that have been told by a doctor that they have had the flu since Christmas, so what is the point of the shot????

34 ANNONeeemoose January 16, 2014 at 5:38 PM

anon 33, it’s been on the news for 2 months its the H1N1 causing the problems, and it’s not too late to get the shot, so your “point” makes no sense at all. Everyone knows now.. so… ? What are they waiting for now?

35 Mustang Sally January 16, 2014 at 8:40 PM

@Get Vaccinated! #31; I love the video, breaks it down very well! It’s NOT rocket science.

36 @jayz January 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Thank you. Your stupid comments will ensure that I don’t get a shot.
The flu is only killing those with underlying health problems. I will take my chances.

37 Jess January 16, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Chris, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for taking the time to post here. Maybe your words will be the push people need to get the flu shot.

38 Julie January 16, 2014 at 11:46 PM