California Schools Chief Tom Torlakson Endorses Mark DeSaulnier for Congress

January 15, 2014 8:00 am · 63 comments

Signifying his early force in the race to fill Congressman George Miller’s soon to-be vacated 11th Congressional district seat, today State Senator Mark DeSaulnier raked-in a substantial statewide endorsement from California’s Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Torlakson.

Elected statewide as Superintendent of Public Instruction in 2010, Tom Torlakson oversees California’s Department of Education. Prior to his election as Superintendent, Torlakson served in the State Assembly and State Senate representing Contra Costa County.

“Rep. George Miller’s 40 years of dedicated public service set a high standard, and his achievements for working families represent a tremendous legacy for our nation and our state. I’m convinced that Mark DeSaulnier is by far the best candidate to carry on his work,” Superintendent Torlakson said. “Mark knows this district intimately, and will bring to the job more than 20 years of experience working on local and state issues ranging from education to job creation, healthcare access to energy production, infrastructure improvements to protecting working people and much more. He has my full support.”

“Tom Torlakson is one of California’s most widely respected leaders,” said Senator DeSaulnier. “He’s a champion for schools, students, teachers, and California families, and I’m sincerely thankful for his support. Tom’s endorsement sends a strong signal that I’ll be a fierce fighter for California’s schools and our kids in Washington.”

Currently, DeSaulnier represents California’s 7th State Senate district, which covers 70% of California’s 11th Congressional district. Previously DeSaulnier served Contra Costa County as a State Assemblyman, County Supervisor, and Concord City Councilman.

1 Politico Conspiracy Theorist January 15, 2014 at 8:23 AM

Must be returning a favor…. Start fixing stuff you clowns!

2 Olson Johnson January 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Mark…Why? Wasn’t Hedly Lamar available for the job?.

3 Always Right January 15, 2014 at 8:44 AM

And this passes as newsworthy?

One far left politico endorsing another. Nothing to see here.

4 bigdaddy January 15, 2014 at 8:45 AM

another liberal fool…..

5 One Percent? January 15, 2014 at 8:46 AM

How much money do Torlakson and DeSal????ier have?

Let’s have a Liberal 1 percenter tax initiative.

All filthy rich liberals get taxed at 99% of their wealth; they can pay for all the hand-outs…since they are so compassionate…with other people’s money.

6 anon January 15, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Old buddies.

7 anon January 15, 2014 at 9:03 AM

There are so many miserable people here. Why don’t you move to a place where you would be happier.

8 Nona January 15, 2014 at 9:11 AM

@ anon #7–I was born in Walnut Creek 50 years ago. Where did you come from?

9 anon January 15, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I’ve lived here since 1964.

10 Safety Second January 15, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Let’s see…..CoCo County Public Employee Pensions are beyond unsustainable; and this all happened on DeSaulneir’s, Miller’s, and Torlakson’s watch! …..And the dumb ass voters keep promoting these absolute failures called “career politicians” and “union whores”

11 Nona January 15, 2014 at 9:28 AM

That isn’t what I asked.

12 Daniel Shays January 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM

So is this just a ‘personal’ endorsement by Torlakson or is he endorsing him as
California’s Superintendent of Public Instruction? If it’s the later, did he do this in a vacuum or get permission from all those that he is ‘supposed’ to be representing?

13 Anonymous January 15, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Torlakson, ah yes ,has two CHP bodyguards and drivers . There’s a guy that forgot where he came from. Both DeSaulnier and Torlakson helped bankrupt the county.

Good old boys club in action.

14 anon January 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM

I was born in Berkeley in 1951, moved to Palo Alto in 1951, then to Menlo Park in 1956, and to Walnut Creek in 1964. So I’ve been here as long as you. Why is that important to you?

15 RANDOM TASK January 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM

of course he does they all have to back each other so they can have their turn on the ride ……hmmm sounds like the city council …ironic

16 Beth January 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM

@Nona
I’ve been here my whole life too. What’s your point?

Anon#6 is correct… there are a lot of miserable people here. I don’t know if it has anything to do with the way the Mayor censors the comments or if reasonable people are so put off by the tone on this blog they simply get their news elsewhere.

17 Miller And DeSaulnier January 15, 2014 at 10:15 AM

C’mon Lefties. Tell us how filthy rich you are?

Nancy Pelosi – 1%’er
Diane Feinstein – 1 %’er
Barbara Boxer – 1 %’er.

How do you rank with your liberal “sisters”?

Maybe the local “News” will tell us…hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!

18 Krogs January 15, 2014 at 10:16 AM

PLEASE do not vote for DeSaulnier. When my son was in the Army, I was involved with Blue Star Moms. DeSaulnier, as mayor, praised our troops, gave lip service to the Blue Star Moms, and then decided that Concord should be a “war free zone city.” Really? Total slap to our men and women in the military (and their moms).
Then as an assembly man, just as an example, he voted against one of the State Bills that would allow employers to decide whether or not they would allow their employees to work 4-10s without having to take an employee vote. He voted against it. Why? He was a small business owner at one time – why is it the state’s business to decide this issue? I emailed him asking why he voted against this SB. No response. Not surprising. Oh – and his request that you give him ideas for “there oughta be a law”? Please – we have enough laws. These guys should be part time, paid little, etc etc etc I am making myself sick here. Uggh.

19 Mark January 15, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Another reason not to vote for Mark.

20 The Mamba January 15, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Please note that the Mamba has not given an endorsement yet.

21 RANDOM TASK January 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM

yes #10 the unions are supplied public money that they then useto back dems for election. like we are all ignorant of that fact ..right. I do believe you should get paid for how hard your job is sure fire and police is something I would not like to do as it is not only long hours but the stress and what they see every day is life changing…….all jobs need to get done problem is the dems pander their votes to increase wages for the people who do those jobs. if you want to get paid more money go to college and work for it ……..don’t cry because you work at mc’donalds and want a BMW. Start to realize the reason you can not go to college and get a good job is because the very stools you are voting for are over taxing the middle class to line their pockets. In return now the middle class has to demand more pay from who the owners who in turn cry for more money because it is cutting into their millions ……this country used to be one nation ..indivisible ……just look at the comments on this site how divided it is now

22 Idiocracy January 15, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Everytime I read about Desaulnier or bonilla bonnia whateve I think “who actually voted for this ppl” …. Are illegals voting or something because most ppl are getting real sick of the Handout Mafia aka Dumbocrats… Its time to vote every Lib this side of the Mississippi out of office. No republicans either! its time to start voting in qualified independents

23 Where Do I Potty January 15, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Hey California Schools Chief Tom Torlakson,

If I go to a grade school and have to use the bathroom, can I use the “Girls” bathroom because I “identify” with the female sex?

Or, can I just go in and lear at the girls coming and going out of the stalls because I’m a horny teenage boy?

Thanks, California Schools Chief Tom Torlakson!!!

BTW: do you have a daughters in school?

24 ClayDen January 15, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Friends don’t let friends vote for liberals.

25 Anonymous January 15, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Dear Anon, if you do not like the comments here dont hesitate to turn off your computer..

Anonymous is better then Anon

26 RunnerDope January 15, 2014 at 11:25 AM

DeSaulnier also tried to close the Concord airport, even though there was not a chance in hell that the FAA would allow it. Wasted a lot of taxpayer money trying to get that done for his builder friends.

27 . January 15, 2014 at 11:28 AM

@anon #7…

What difference does it make? Everyone has the right to voice their opinion, regardless of whether you like it or not. And you don’t get more votes nor does your opinion count more if you’ve been here longer.

And no,we don’t have to “like” DeSaulnier or any other politician who we feel blows us off and does not take us seriously. Then you have the unmitigated GALL to tell us to move if we don’t like it. There have been NUMEROUS cases where I’ve written/e-mailed DeSaulnier on issues – and presented cold hard facts to support a particular issue. All I’ve received is the canned BS political responses that are designed to (a) not answer the question and (b) designed to not offend anyone. In the end, it’s “let’s agree to disagree”….in other words, the idiot won’t address the facts. In my mind, that’s unethical.

I got news for you, buckwheat. I have as much right to speak and be as happy/unhappy as anyone else. If a politician lies/blows me off, I have my right to express my dissatisfaction. In this case, it’s party line votes as usual. They’re not “reaching across the aisle.” They’re not taking the voters seriously, unless those voters happen to agree with those politicians’ already-held opinions.

You wonder why this state is circling the drain ? It’s because of the supermajority tax and spend liberals that the unthinking liberals voted into office.

You don’t like my answer? Then move or shut off your computer!

Deal with it.

28 Wall&Broad January 15, 2014 at 12:01 PM

@#27
You do seem miserable.

It’s funny, I’m in the top 1%. I travel, all of my kids have iPads and iPhones, I buy my wife expensive jewelry… and when I think about how this state is “circling the drain” I think of miserable people like you who blame politicians for their lot in life. This may come as a newsflash to you but ALL politicians cater to the factions that get them elected. I guarantee nothing the Democrats have done has prevented you from being successful in life… you and your choices are the ones to blame.

29 Libertarian January 15, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Let’s see – Mark takes over from George; Susan takes over in Mark’s “seat”; Mitchof follows Susan and then who….any tyro politico types out there want to get on the grravy train? Meanwhile, the rest of us o about our business earning money so these people can redistribute it. Did any of these people ever take an economics class….I mean a legitimate one, not some bogus seminar in the care and feeding of the Progressives taught by some leftist fool from the 60’s Great Society.

30 Anonymous January 15, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Wall and Broad instructs us nothing the Democrats have not prevented us from being successful in life? Really? How about their war on poverty $26,000,000,000,000. That’s a lot of zeros that the middle class paid for , for what ? A dysfunctional welfare dependent lower class that the rest of us support.

I get it. You are a rich guilt-ridden liberal but those of us not fortunate enough “to buy expensive jewelry” would like to see a government that doesn’t spend $175,000,000 on penis pumps.

31 Dear Wall and Broad January 15, 2014 at 12:48 PM

Couldn’t have said it better myself. I’m showing your comments to Cyril at our polo club. Drives a Bentley and can’t stand the proletariat either.The ungrateful middle class and their worries about jobs and high taxes are simply awful, doncha know? Both of us watch MSNBC and love the President ,too.

Love Al Sharpton and DeSaulnier.Mark will definitely take orders from us and like it.

32 . January 15, 2014 at 12:54 PM

@#28…

I rest my case – it’s all about greed and consumption…of which you’re a prime example.

As far as the rest of your discussion -you completely missed my point….which is not unexpected. And the “1%%?

Two words – liberal troll.

33 Concord Guy January 15, 2014 at 1:18 PM

These two guys (Heckle & Jeckle) concurrently “served” terms in the state legislature. They are part of the majority party who spent our tax dollars like drunken sailors, driving our state to the fiscal brink. Torlakson is also a shill for unions and personal injury attorneys.

Not that I was going to vote for DeSaulnier anyway, but this seals it for me unless his general election opponent is a total idiot.

34 Wall&Broad January 15, 2014 at 1:20 PM

@30

The war on poverty has cost $26 trillion? Wow! And it was all paid for by the middle class? I had no idea! I suppose all of my tax dollars went to pay for other things. For your information, me and my fellow one percenters paid 37.4% of all income taxes… the bottom 95 percent paid 40.9%. So we are paying nearly as much income taxes as the entire poor and middle classes. Judging from your post, I bet you don’t pay as much in income tax as you have been led to believe. It’s really too bad you blame my success on “fortune”… though it might explain why you’re stuck on the bottom.

I am not a liberal; I am not guilt-ridden… I am so, so happy.

35 Anon January 15, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Really, his endorsement is news? Where was Tom, our Education Superintendent, when Jerry was passing the new law to let male students use the girls restrooms and vice versa? Kids can’t even hug each other, but they can walk in on each other in bathrooms and while changidng in locker rooms. These are two who are suppose to have education high on their list…where where they?

No weight on Tom’s endorsement and no way will I vote for DeSaulnier.

36 Anon January 15, 2014 at 1:52 PM

sorry for the typos…I’m sure the typo police found them.

37 . January 15, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Wall & Broad is probably phandumb under another name….

Liberal troll!

38 Yeah wall and broad is a phony January 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Some bored intern in DeSaulniers office. Writes like a teenager.

39 RANDOM TASK January 15, 2014 at 3:56 PM

if he does win might want to check those votes to deaths over the past 10 years obviously no one is voting for him …alive anyways

40 Yhe Phantom January 15, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Wall&Board,

All my Federal taxes for fifty years helped pay for half of a Tomahawk/Cruise missile ($1,410,000). You may have covered the other half. We blew up a mud wall desert warehouse in Fallujah.

My California Sales, Property, and Income Tax paid to educate about four kids K-12, and built 300 yds of the 680 freeway (one lane) with Fed matching funds. I only had two kids but they needed to hire two kids that could read and write.

Mark and Tom understand that good Tax money goes into the hearts, minds and bodies of the young, and not into the balance sheets of petroleum and munitions suppliers. Hint: Tax shelters are payoffs to industry.

As long as Republicans fight funding for public education and public services…Democrats rule.

They down talk education then wonder why their kids don’t want to go college…move back in after high school.

Mark and Tom are working on another demographic wanting the opportunity to qualify for a career.

41 The Authority January 15, 2014 at 4:06 PM

The CoCo County Democrat Machine taking care of its own. If only the foolish electorate would return these hacks to the private sector to live under the laws they have foisted upon us.

42 All my Federal taxes for fifty years? January 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I don’t think so. I call BS on this one. If fantum paid taxes for 50 years, he would be 70? Everyone knows that most people don’t pay taxes until about 20 years old, of course fantum is a really special guy (in his own mind). But he ain’t 50 or 70. But by the off chance he is really that old, then he is terribly immature.

43 . January 15, 2014 at 5:43 PM

@#42…

Either immature or suffering from Alzheimer’s.,…. With apologies to those truly suffering from Alzheimer’s.

Wall&broad=furball=phandumb=dnc=markie’s intern= troll.

44 claycordian January 15, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Maybe it’s time for Torkelson to go back to teaching. Oh, wait, he can’t! He hasn’t taught in years, and he’s not qualified under “no child left behind”. He would have to go back to college. Speaking of NCLB, 2014 is the year that ALL children will be up to grade level. How’s that working for you, George Miller?

45 Anonymous January 15, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Here is why wall and broad is a phony”all my kids have I pads and I phones” rich people don’t think like that. To a DeSaulnier intern this would be the ultimate status symbol.

Not even a nice try.

46 Yhe Phantom January 15, 2014 at 8:25 PM

All my Federal taxes for fifty years?

The Social Security lady was sad when she saw I w-2’d my first job when I was 14 years old and only retired for disability reasons at 65, so I have paid in 51 years before retirement and four more since then, so I’m nearly 70…and still quicker than most of you guys because I pay attention.

The only reason I got out of the factory work was because of the state of California secondary school system. First DVC like George Milller, because it was nearly free, and then UC Berkeley undergraduate work. A fine company supported my graduate work and then I began teaching school undergraduate, graduate, government, or adult ed. somewhere part time for 40 years.

Twenty-five years information science and technology, twenty years teaching full time. It was only available to me with state help so no; I did not do it all by myself.

My support for Mark is based on my faith in the future for young people’s ambition being properly supported by a social system that allows the people who want to do homework, an institution, and facilities where they can practice learning.

Mark and Tom and I believe in education…and in certain theories

Theory of Gravity
Atomic Theory
Electron Theory
Germ Theory of Disease
Theory of Evolution
Big Bang Theory

Just theories, yet unproven!

47 Yhe Phantom January 15, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Actually I don’t agree with the Big Bang Theory, my preference is for M- Theory/D-Brane style variations but with a different subatomic particle singularity. Oscillation makes more sense….infinity!

48 Yhe Phantom January 15, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Twenty-five years information science and technology full time in private industry corp environment.

49 Rollo Tomasi January 15, 2014 at 10:39 PM

That many years being paid by taxpayer dollars explains a lot.

50 Nona January 15, 2014 at 10:46 PM

I wasn’t making a point, I was asking a question. I’d just like to know if Contra Costa County naturally evolved into a dysfunctional liberal wonderland or if it is simply the result of left wing lunatics moving here & suggesting that the rest of us leave if we don’t like it now.

51 RANDOM TASK January 16, 2014 at 1:21 AM

yes and yes as well as your next question yes ……feels good don’t it

52 RANDOM TASK January 16, 2014 at 1:23 AM

oh and none of that can be proven by the way a singularity in flux is as close as you get ….well if you walk a thin line other wise the theory is the aliens did it ….and yes they were and still are illegal……..

53 VikingPrincess January 16, 2014 at 1:32 AM

@all my federal taxes for fifty years..what? People don’t pay tax until 20? Please tell me you’re kidding.

Started working at 15 years and darn straight they yanked taxes out. My brother too. He used to call me and complain about FICA…wanting to know who it was and why they took out of his check.

There was a time when teachers did not have to pay into federal and/or ssi. Maybe over 30+ years ago. When they retired, many did not get social security benefits…. pretty bad.

54 @53 January 16, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Two words missed

Most and about

The world is not all about you Princess.

55 Bill P January 16, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Miller has done nothing for the last 3 terms. He claims to have written parts of the Obamacar law and for that he expects accolades. Miller is a tax and spend anti America Liberal and Mark would be no different. When he moved here he was a Republican but when he found out he could not succed in politics unless he was a Democrat, he changed. We need someone who will think of America first and not doing things just to get votes. Anyone who voted for Miller were union memebers or minorities, neither of each knew the issues nor how they were kiling the Country.

56 VikingPrincess January 16, 2014 at 11:01 AM

@54
Recognize the recent obession with pecking at me whomever you are.
So far your mind reading and self imposed interpretation of what I mean is so off the mark I don’t know what to think. Amazing how much power you are giving me, wish it was true.

Don’t you have a video game to get back to or perhaps a bag of kittens to drown? Back off.

57 @56 January 16, 2014 at 11:35 AM

My Goodness. A bit touchy today Princess? :)

Does the truth hurt? But you seem oblivious to everyone and everything else.

I had thought you the epitome of narcissism, are you going to disappoint me?

Don’t you have a mirror to stand in front of for an hour or so, hair to comb and fuss over, makeup to refresh and perhaps a strong alcoholic beverage to consume? It is almost noon you know, so it has to be 5:00 somewhere.

58 VikingPrincess January 16, 2014 at 12:12 PM

@57
You post made me chuckle.. cute :) Listen, we are more than likely completely off about each other.

Truce? And start over? Allies are best.

I have no issues with you or your ancestral tribe ;). If your people have any problems we will surely launch a supporting army your way. OK?
(How’s that for keeping in character?)

59 . January 16, 2014 at 12:41 PM

What a surprise…… one liberal idiot supporting another.

Wonder what was passed under the table?

60 @58 January 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM

I am third generation Norwegian. Ancestors are farmers who migrated to Canada and then into the US. The original homestead is still a working farm. The Norwegian community is still there as well, along the tundra line.

Ever hear of Vikings fighting among themselves there Princess? :)

61 VikingPrincess January 16, 2014 at 11:34 PM

@#60
Farming definitely seems to be a theme.
3rd gen from Alsace Lorraine migration to US (maternal) and 4th gen Dane migration to US (paternal) First in family not born and raised on a farm but mother taught me anyway.

No time to fight, unless you are courting or passing the occaisional bum steer to outside villagers.

And you?

62 @61 January 17, 2014 at 9:42 AM

Farming is in the blood in a lot of ways. Independent but helpful to neighbor and those in need, stand up for what’s right, put an end to what’s wrong, a fare days wage for a fair days work sort of ethic. Along with a Viking fierceness for things I feel strongly about such as independence, freedom and justice.

I also have the best looking lawn in the neighborhood.

Fight? Only reluctantly, but when I do, its to win.

63 VikingPrincess January 17, 2014 at 11:45 AM

#63
Its in the genes and extended to our craftmenship with water vessels and the broadsword. The warrior cast was just a part of the culture. Fight to win? Yes, there is a reason Europes finest and most powerful took comfort in hiring Viking mercenaries.

Many of those skills taught to me as a child were considered backwards back in the day. Very popular now with organic gardening and the likes.

Good to know the mindset stays in the genes.