UPDATE: Concord Burn Victim Being Transported by Helicopter to Hospital

January 15, 2014 23:43 pm · 19 comments

craig_photo

One person was badly burned when a vehicle apparently caught fire in front of the downtown Concord BART station on Oakland Ave. in Concord.

A medical helicopter is on its way to transport the victim to a hospital.

The helicopter will land at the Loma Vista Adult Education Center off Cowell Rd. in Concord.

UPDATE, 11:58pm: The victim, who is believed to be in his teens, has been picked-up by the medical helicopter and is now on his way to the hospital.

UPDATE, 12:00am: The victim is 16-years-old.

UPDATE, 1:00am: Although the initial call was reported as a vehicle fire, we’re hearing the vehicle didn’t actually catch on fire. It is currently unknown how the kid received the burns.

Stay tuned for updates.

photo credit: Craig Cannon

1 Harrison January 16, 2014 at 12:41 AM

I heard it fly over. I wonder where they took him.

2 OMG January 16, 2014 at 4:42 AM

That is absolutely awful. Hoping and praying this poor kid pulls through and recovers. Nobody should ever have to go through this.

3 KenInConcord January 16, 2014 at 7:26 AM

According to Channel 4 news.

“Police say the teen had been working on a car earlier that day and had spilled gasoline on his clothing.
He later asked a friend for a ride to the BART station.
A cigarettes was lit in the car igniting the victims clothing.
He was able to get out of his clothes but was left with serious burns.
(Copyright 2013, KRON 4, All rights reserved.)

4 Julie January 16, 2014 at 8:19 AM

I hope this kid is all right.

5 Lari January 16, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Yikes! Was wondering why there were two KRON news trucks filming this AM. Thought one of those strong armed robberies turned deadly….

6 Antler January 16, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Harrison, though I cannot answer your question, UC Davis has a superior burn-treatment center. Do you know the young man?

7 MikeyV January 16, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Man, that sucks. I was wondering how someone got burned without being in an actual accident. When we were kids, we’d do the same thing, Gas all over the place, spilled on the ground, in th engine bay, on out cloths…hair…

We smoked then too. Lucky we never had anything like this happen.

Hope he’s OK.

8 sarah January 16, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Sending love to the kid and family. What a horrible thing to experience. I heard screaming from my front porch… I thought it was a group of drunk people :(

9 Silva January 16, 2014 at 1:49 PM

Poor guy. They have an excellent burn center at Alta Bates, also. Been there, done that! Well, not the gasoline part.

10 MamaBear January 16, 2014 at 3:20 PM

He is recovering and will continue for the next month or so. He has excellent doctors working on him and keeping him out of pain. Thank you for well wishes and your prayers!

11 Mustang Sally January 17, 2014 at 7:52 AM

It’s good to hear from you. Around 20 years ago I myself was in a burn unit. They took excellent care of me, and today I’m fine. I feel terribly this happened to this young man, but I know soon it’ll just be a memory, and he has a great future ahead. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

12 Cowellian January 17, 2014 at 8:04 AM

When I was burned, I was fortunate enough to be treated by a doctor who had just returned from Vietnam, where he had been treating Napalm victims.

13 Mustang Sally January 17, 2014 at 8:25 AM

@Cowellian; lucky for you, awful for him!

14 Cowellian January 17, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Yeah, no foolin’!

15 J. January 17, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I heard they flew him down to a burn center in Santa Clara

16 Tigger January 17, 2014 at 9:56 AM

He was taken to Valley Med in San Jose – One of the best Trauma Centers in the country… the Boy, 16, is burned over 30% of his body. He is in an induced coma and will be for awhile. He has a team of outstanding healthcare providers tending to his body constantly. His face was untouched and he is still amazingly beautiful! Surgery will happen next week some time and they predict a stay of 30 to 40 days as of now. from his Mother..”He is strong, healthy, and so very loved and I know he can do this….we can do this!”

17 MamaBear January 17, 2014 at 1:58 PM

My son is strong and healthy and has a family that loves him very much. We have quite a journey ahead of us, but we are ready and happy that we get the chance to love him! This could have been a lot worse. To the person that ditched him in the car…you should probably go to police now before they find you. It is just a matter of being a decent human being. I appreciate your comments and support!!

18 Shelly January 17, 2014 at 6:58 PM

@MamaBear & Tiger; Thanks for your posts. It’s so good to know he has your love and support! Prayers and warm thoughts to you all.

19 MamaBear January 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Update: Baby Bear is recovering everyday and is an amazing young man! I am proud of my son. I have seen posts on another page judging him, , me, and the circumstances. All I can say is that he is a teenager and has made some mistakes and has paid for them…..we support our son 100% and have been most appreciative of your kind responses. He may be your local firefighter or burn nurse one day as we never know why tragedy hits, but if we are strong in character we know it can only make us better people. Thanks again for the support.