The Claycord Online Museum – Melo’s Pizza & Pasta in Pleasant Hill

January 14, 2014 · 38 comments

melos

This old matchbook is from Melo’s Pizza & Pasta on Contra Costa Blvd. in Pleasant Hill.

It’s currently for sale on eBay, in case you want to buy it.

Anybody out there love Melo’s?

Click on the tag below titled “Claycord Online Museum” to view other items!

1 Greg in Pleasant Hill January 14, 2014 at 2:15 PM

This is before they moved to their current location at 1660 Contra Costa Blvd. The old strip mall where it was located is no longer there.

2 love pizza January 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Liked it a lot better back then, in the 70’s, when it was a little hole in the wall pizza place.

3 anon January 14, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Our family loves Melo’s!!

4 Angelica January 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM

I love Melo’s! Excellent pizza……

5 BreakingJen January 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM

I remember growing up and having Melo’s once a month as our treat. Back when it was a true pizza joint with fake vines all over the cieling. In the past few years they started taking themselves super seriously and are trying to be a bit more it seems. Still delicious though!

6 Tonic January 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM

The place I really miss is Rod’s Pizza.

7 JJ2 January 14, 2014 at 3:35 PM

No, The pizza is always soggy in the middle.

8 Mary January 14, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Love Melo’s for their Pizza and their Salads

9 Constant Reader January 14, 2014 at 4:22 PM

I still love Melos Pizza!!! Always love the candy they gave you with the bill.

10 jm74 January 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM

I love Melo’s. As a little tiny girl we would go to it’s old hole in the wall location and play pac man as we waited for our pizza. As I grew it grew it grew into a larger location, adding pastas and salads to its menu. I LOVE the pizza, but can’t go there without ordering the Penne Bistecca!

11 it'smE!! January 14, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Melos is my favorite pizza we go there evey once a month or so!! @constant reader the candy is really good they have many flavors you can also purchase the bag for $5.00 its really worth it !

12 Yum January 14, 2014 at 4:45 PM

But I like DeVino’s even more. :)

13 Silva January 14, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Well thanks for another memory I’d lost! Does anyone remember that large anchor that landed in a front yard on Clayton Road when Port Chicago blew up? That was so cool.

14 Elwood January 14, 2014 at 5:01 PM

For my wife there are two kinds of restaurant in the world: Melo’s and Not Melo’s.

I agree it was better in the other joint in the ’70s.

15 Huskerfan January 14, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Best Pizza in Claycord. Me and my wife go there every year on our anniversary. Great Pizza, salad and beer. Great service!!!!!!!! We go more than once a year it is an anniversary thing.

16 Craig January 14, 2014 at 6:56 PM

It was better years ago, but still great pizza.

17 Whatever January 14, 2014 at 7:57 PM

It was waaaaayy better when it was a hole in the wall. The pizza has gone down hill. It is either too hard to saw through with a knife, or it is soggy. Change is not always a good thing.

18 oak grove posse January 14, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Used to get the pizza with family only at the current location. Also would get a lot of DeVinos good memories there…

19 Lorelei January 14, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Melo’s is about 100 times better than any other pizza in the area (except Zachary’s, which is deep-dish and in a category of its own)! You can keep your Skippolini’s………Melo’s RULES!

20 Z-Man January 15, 2014 at 4:41 AM

@Lorelei,

Agred. Skipolinis is good pizza… better than any national chain, and yes, it has a real crust (Mountain Mikes, are you listening?)

DeVinos sticks it to me, and although I live in “actual” Claycord, DeVino’s is worth heading out to Taylor in Pleasant Hill.

Zorba’s Pizza in South San Francisco can make a run for the money against Melo’s and DeVino’s.

21 Runner Girl January 15, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Love Melos!!! @ JJ – order your pizza ‘well done’ and ‘light tomato sauce’ for no soggy in the middle, and the BEST pizza out there…

22 Eddie spaghetti January 15, 2014 at 6:29 AM

I just wanted to comment on the Hillary advertisements…….nobody out there is dumb enough to vote for her, are they?..seriously

23 Mac January 15, 2014 at 7:02 AM

Been eating Pizza here since the first day it opened.
Seemed like there was a pizza in our house weekly.

It me this place is pizza.
And all others are below them.
But again, that is just my opinion.

Wish i had a dollar for every pizza i`ve eaten from this place.

But that one post was right.
I liked the old hole in the wall better too.
But then i`m loved old school Pleasant Hill.

24 Katie M January 15, 2014 at 7:29 AM

UGHH – Melo’s is awful. We have given it 2 tries in the last 10 years, both times it was such a dissapointment…. WAY OVERPRICED and the quality is just not there. Service was terrible as well.
For those who are raving about Melo’s – are you all employees?

25 J. January 15, 2014 at 7:45 AM

DeVino’s Pizza & Pasta
2221 Morello Ave, Pleasant Hill, CA 94523 (at Taylor Blvd)
(925) 689-6666

has a smaller menu than Melo’s, but we prefer their pizza and pasta.

26 Mac January 15, 2014 at 8:42 AM

No, i`ve never worked there.
I don`t know anybody there. (did many moons ago)

But i have taken everyone who comes to visit me to this place. (or bring it home)
And i have never had one person say it wasn`t the best pizza they have had.

So i`m not understanding the awful comment.
First time i`ve ever heard someone with that comment.
But sorry, i`ll have to stick to my opinion, and opinions of all my friends & family.
They all love it.
But there is always one strange apple.

My Father in law lived off those pizza`s for years.

So again i say, “All my Freinds & Family think this is the best place to buy pizza in this area. (to me, anyway)

But your opinion means as much as mine does. (nothing to others)
So we both are right. :-)

27 Mac January 15, 2014 at 8:49 AM

If you want to go really old school.
The “Straw Hat” pizza place down Contra Costa was a cool place back in the day. (before Melo`s) too.

Grew up in Pleasant Hill.
It was an awesome place to grow up in the 60`s-70`s

28 DoReMi January 15, 2014 at 9:55 AM

My remedy for soggy pizza is or order a smaller size. Less tomato sauce? Never!

Bambinos and Devinos is my new favorite. Though I enjoy Skips in Clayton. The Little Sink is good from Stricktly to Go for a few dollars less.

29 Starfish January 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM

DoReMi, long time no hear. And you are absolutely right–a tall soggy pizza is god awful. Devinos is excellent-everything put together perfectly on a medium sized pizza. :-)

30 jets January 15, 2014 at 11:42 AM

good times in the mid eighties, many stg pizzas while working at valley 76 on north main street wc before going in the army and starting my life, was struggling then but not today, hey tl and kc

31 PH resident January 15, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I used to love Melo’s, until I had three incidents of awful pizza. No more, I haven’t been there in years. I’m just two minutes away from them, too. I won’t take that chance anymore.

32 Sandy Eggo January 15, 2014 at 1:42 PM

Just had Melo’s about a month ago after 20+ years. It was great and definitely reasonably priced in my opinion. Pizza wasn’t soggy by any means but then again we ordered it well done as we always do. The lasagna verde was amazing. We will definitely be back. Way better than Rocco’s which always makes us feel like we have a brick of cheese in our belly. And better than Skippolini’s which is so over priced and has horrible teenage service.

Bambino’s is good too for a round table-esque pizza joint. Better than a chain, but nothing spectacular and the pastas suck. I liked it better back in the day as Aladino’s.

Gonna have to try this DeVino’s place everyone is talking about.

33 Anon2you January 15, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Back in the Old Days…There was Melo’s and next door was Pepito’s Mexican Food. I worked at Pepito’s for many years and both were the very best “hole in the wall” food joints around! As a teen growing up in Pleasant Hill we went to both places on a Friday-Saturday night to chow down…Miss both since I don’t get a chance to come to Pleasant Hill too much, but the last time I ate a Melo’s it wasn’t the greatest, but that was many years ago…

34 Elwood January 15, 2014 at 2:11 PM

@ Katie M #24

What planet are you from?

Do you prefer moon cheese pizza served by Martians?

35 Katie M January 15, 2014 at 2:30 PM

@ Elwood #34 –

Hmm, no, I just prefer pizza that doesn’t taste like cardboard….. And Melo’s isn’t even up there with Domino’s Pizza (yes Melo’s is that bad).

But hey, we’re all entitled to our own opinions, if Melo’s does it for you – more power to you…. but in my opinion, Skipolini’s and Zachary’s ROCK!

36 Happ January 15, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Love Melo’s , yes I’ve had a bad pizza there, usually burned. I can tell you though I’ve had bad pizzas everywhere even Zacharys and DeVinos. I’ve had better luck at all when I’ve eaten there instead of take out. I always give a second chance cause I’d hate to end up with nothing but crappy chains to choose from.

Loved the old Melo’s and the old Straw Hat (Mojos!)on Monument back in the early 80’s/late 70’s. Freddie’s in Lafayette and liked the old Red Vest Pizza near Heather Farms back in the 70’s. Anyone remember Mamma Mia’s at Palos Verdes Center?

37 Ted Nugent January 15, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Melo’s has good food, on par with Skip’s IMO. I actually don’t like Zachary’s. If you are deep dishing it, put some damn meat in it. Eating a tomato pie isn’t what I’m after. All pale in comparison to the NY, CT and MA pizza joints, parlors that have been in a family for generations. Good ‘Za, Grinders and fried clams!! Yum!!!!

38 Mr. Pink January 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Have not had Melo’s for more than 30 years. Maybe it’s time to try it again.

There used to be a Straw Hat on Clayton Rd., near Clayton Valley Bowl, currently occupied by Mt. Mikes. I recall it being very dark inside with long picnic-type table dining. Don’t recall being fond of the pizza though; cracker-board crust.

Anyone remember Peppino’s? Was where the Pavilion Restaurant is now, near Kirker and Clayton Rd. Peppino’s had some good pizza.