ALERT: Mail Theft Reported in Several Neighborhoods Around Concord

January 14, 2014 · 36 comments

mailbox

Several residents around Concord are reporting mail theft in their neighborhoods.

The neighborhoods we’ve received emails from are Dana Farms (off Pine Hollow Rd.), Crystyl Ranch (off Ygnacio Valley Rd.) and Canterbury Village (off Cape Cod & Clayton Rd.).

The thieves are apparently checking mailboxes late at night, so be sure to bring your mail in when you get home (or when it gets delivered), and if you’re going to be away for an extended period of time, have a neighbor pick-up your mail, or put it on hold at the post office.

1 Russ January 15, 2014 at 5:53 AM

Maybe they are just double checking to make sure the mail has been delivered at the proper address

2 At least... January 15, 2014 at 7:16 AM

It’s trespassing. I hate night creeping
tweakers, they wander around at 2 or 3 in
the morning, just looking for something to
steal. Someone should tell them to stop it!

3 Skyscraper January 15, 2014 at 7:50 AM

I find the timing of this article quite interesting. Last night about 10:00 PM, I heard the sound of my porch mounted mail box door closing then the sound of cars driving away. Makes me think they hit my house, but fortunately my mail box was empty. And I live over by Concord High School.

4 Keith January 15, 2014 at 7:56 AM

Here we go again. GET A LOCKING MAIL BOX!!!!!

5 Anon January 15, 2014 at 8:11 AM

If they really want my Pennysaver all they have to do is ask. JK

6 Sinclair January 15, 2014 at 8:25 AM

put a rat trap in your mailbox. If someone reaches in there at night they are not going to see it. :)

7 Shelly January 15, 2014 at 8:40 AM

@Sinclair; Good one!

8 Shulla January 15, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Since stealing mail is a Federal offense, once charged and convicted, what is the sentencing? Obviously not long enough or this would stop.

9 Concord Mike January 15, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Folks, just go down to harbor freight and buy one of their $15 wireless alarms. Put the motion detecting device in or next to your mailbox and the alarm next to your bed.

When the alarm goes off, perhaps you might get a shot at the perps ( I am referring to a camera shot of course)

10 Mitch January 15, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I’m with Keith. A locking mailbox would solve the problem. Had one for over 20 years.

11 CreepORama January 15, 2014 at 9:11 AM

There certainly alot of creeps wandering around. I hope they all get caught and locked away. The amount of crime in the area is disturbing. I wish that our area was the safe area it once was. I miss the time when we could be trusting of everyone and comfortable with where we live.

You can set up a motion sensor sprinkler. At least if these creeps are creeping around too close to the house, they’ll get wet and cold. I also like the rat trap idea. Maybe a motion senor water squit in the mail box would be a nice suprise for them as well.

12 jb January 15, 2014 at 9:12 AM

People are stealing mail…and delivered packages at their home…where does this stop…That is why I have a Post Office box…so I know I will be getting my bills and packages safely…..the reason I got a box was our mail carrier
did not want to deliver so he put all 62 pieces of mail in the trash…it was found out and we reported it…but nothing came of it….they just do not care
wait till you do not get a check (yes there were checks in the trash)
Hope one day this will change…but doubt it as no one really cares…..sad

13 dudebro January 15, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I have a motion light mounted on my garage that is set to turn on when someone walks by my driveway on the sidewalk. it is not an offensive 120w floodlight. that one is mounted on the side of my house behind and above my fence pointed at the street.

14 Chris January 15, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I can check my cameras if anyone has an actual dates/time for when this occurred in Canterbury…

15 Off Bailey January 15, 2014 at 9:43 AM

I live off Bailey and we were having a problem with this around the holidays. Seems to have stopped, or got better, for now at least. I wish the City of Concord would do something to clean up the streets and all the tweakers walking around. Especially Clayton Road. It’s embarrassing. There’s got to be something they can do.

16 I have a locking mailbox January 15, 2014 at 9:43 AM

But I still caught some punk with his hand in it once. He was skinny enough that he could reach through the slot. Unfortunately, he ran faster than I could and he got away (but without my mail).

17 AWoman January 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM

Why is it so hard to get a locking mailbox. Identity theft is the biggest con these days. Lock your mail.

18 Cowellian January 15, 2014 at 9:48 AM

We always picked-up our neighbor’s mail and newspapers when they were out of town, and they returned the favor when we were out of town. That’s what neighbors do.

19 Idiocracy January 15, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I told you there are 100s of drugged out bums and 15 to 26 yearold punks roaming Concord streets up and down Clayton road! This is the beginning of more crimes. After their mail scams don’t pan out next will be home invasions!
Solutions are simple = Enforce the damn law !

The issue is Police Priorities … You Police officers need to get in gear and stop focusing on traffic tickets and focus on the Foot traffic going on. Stop just driving by these hordes of bums by TJ max off Bailey and the foodmax shopping center. Every time I drive down Clayton or Concord Blvd I see poverty written on the walls. Use to be a real nice place, low income housing is the real reason concords turning into a porta potty.

20 @AWoman January 15, 2014 at 10:59 AM

First of all, locking mailboxes aren’t cheap. Second, not everybody can install one themselves. Third, they’re not the be-all, end-all solution to mail theft. Read the post above yours.

21 Mimi (original) January 15, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I’m glad I bought I locking mailbox when I first moved in to my house, 17 years ago! The only thing I leave visible are the stupid mail ads – they’re welcome to them!!

22 Locks don't keep them out January 15, 2014 at 11:31 AM

So as for everyone who says get a locked mailbox it does not keep them out . On Sunday night about 12:15 am I heard something outside my house . I looked out the window and saw someone standing in the driveway. So I then went to the front door and saw a man with a crow bar breaking into our 16 unit mailbox . I got my husband and we went back outside and he must have heard us because he had jumped into his car and left. He broke open the entire back side of our box . And to find out he broke into the one at the end of the street also . So just know that theses slum bags don’t care If it is locked or not they will get in somehow .

23 Kirkwood January 15, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Nice to see a few posters offering workable solutions instead of just complaining about the region and neighborhood they have chosen to live in.

24 Ranger January 15, 2014 at 12:07 PM

There’s a gigantic Brown Recluse spider
living in my mailbox.

25 Fe-Mail January 15, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I have a mail slot outside my garage so my mail slides down inside my garage into a box. If only I can get the mailman to deliver the mail to the correct address.

26 Barbi Chewate January 15, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Maybe some wacko is playing games on Craig’s List, telling people the item or check is in their mailbox after hours.

27 Robin Gibson January 15, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I live on Mountain View Dr. and I got up Saturday morning to find my gate wide opened so I knew someone had came into my yard. When I went to close it my mailbox was wide open. Started looking around and noticed they had stole my recycling. This hit me hard as we barley get by and we use it to help us survive. We installed a driveway alarm. I want these people found.

28 Gladys Kravitz January 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM

1:30 in the morning I was awaken by every dog in our area. When I looked outside I couldn’t see anyone but I could hear them laughing and yelling to each other. I live near the tennis courts on Pine Hollow. Dogs make great alarms!

29 Neal January 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Get a PO Box.

30 Miguel January 15, 2014 at 6:48 PM

A locking mail box or PO Box sounds like a good idea. It’s better than having your mail stolen.

31 Larry January 15, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Mail theft is happening everywhere.I tried to report mail theft to the Post-Master,on line and in person to no avail.My Mail-Lady told me my best defense was to,”Collect your mail,before it is stolen”Gee you think so Mail-Lady?thanks for the advice.No wonder the Postal system is broke considering the people working there.

32 Ron January 15, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Well, after reading this about stealing mail, I did some research and selected a new mailbox from http://fortknoxmailbox.com Hard to spend the money on it, but it is an investment to keep my mail in my hands……..

33 VikingPrincess January 15, 2014 at 7:57 PM

I have a pretty regular person on my route but it was only a decade ago I had the same mailman. He was good and cared. He gave notices when he left for vacation or was off with the relief persons name. The kind you give a gift to for holiday.
Wot happened

34 Susan January 15, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Unfortunately, no one really seems to take any responsibility for doing anything about mail theft. I found mail stolen from Livermore in my house in Antioch when I was cleaning after I finally got squatters out of the house. I was able to get ahold of one of the people who had mail stolen and notified them of what I had (mortgage and bank statements and credit application), but was unable to contact the other person. I tried to give the stolen mail to the postoffice on East St in Concord and was told they couldn’t take it, but I should contact the Postmaster General & Concord Main station. When I called the #800 for the Postmaster, there was a recorded message and then the line disconnected. No info about who to call or what to do with the mail, just a disconnect. I then went to Concord Main and was told that they couldn’t take the stolen mail because it wasn’t from their area code, but I could take it to Livermore and turn it in (no thanks). I notified Antioch PD about the stolen mail and filed a report. They didn’t know what to do with it, but did take the stolen mail. I think they were just going to destroy it. What can be done to help get stolen mail reunited with the correct recepient when the entities who should be concerned are not taking any responsibility or giving any direction to help resolve the issue ?

35 D-SHOT January 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Locking mailbox at home depot. $35. It’s not a “fort Knox” mailbox. But at least a deterant and you will know if someone gets in it. Just put one in a month ago after seeing all the mailboxes in my neighborhood open when I left early in the morning. Cheap insurance.

36 grewah January 16, 2014 at 2:38 PM

We have had this happening on La Vista and Joan for over a year. At least a couple times a week those of us on La Vista between Clayton and Joan wake to our mailboxes open. One neighbor got a call from Concord PD to come get his mail which was found tossed on Ignacio