Senator Mark DeSaulnier Announces Run for Congress

January 13, 2014 · 68 comments

de

Today, State Senator Mark DeSaulnier announced that he will run for California’s 11th Congressional district seat, which will be vacated by Rep. George Miller next year.

“I considered Rep. Miller one of California’s strongest champions for working people and the middle class,” said Senator DeSaulnier. “I’ve always greatly admired Rep. Miller’s tireless work ethic, his dedication to the residents of his district, along with his deep devotion and perseverance in fighting for the progressive values and issues that matter most to Californians.”

Senator DeSaulnier added, “Rep. Miller will be missed, but his legacy of working to create good jobs, increase access to healthcare, improve our schools, and help California flourish in a global economy, will live on forever.”

“It’s truly been an honor working closely with Rep. Miller for over 20 years on a variety of critical issues. We’ve partnered together during my tenures as a local City Councilman, County Supervisor, member of the State Assembly, and recently in my current job as a member of the State Senate.”

“I’m running for Congress to help bring an end to the brinkmanship and gridlock in Washington, so that we can move forward with President Obama’s agenda of creating more good paying jobs, growing our middle class, investing in our infrastructure, increasing access to healthcare, advancing the use of renewable and homegrown energy, enhancing our education systems, and making the United States a leader in innovation around the globe.”

“I plan to hit the ground running hard in this campaign. I am ready to run and ready to serve the people of the 11th District,” explained Senator DeSaulnier.

Currently, DeSaulnier represents California’s 7th State Senate district, which covers 70% of California’s 11th Congressional district. Previously DeSaulnier represented California’s old 11th State Assembly district, and prior to his time in the legislature, he served as a Contra Costa County Supervisor and Concord City Council member.

RELATED STORY: Claycord Congressman George Miller Announces Retirement

1 anon January 13, 2014 at 2:23 PM

You have my vote. Thank you for your continued service to our community. You have made a positive difference with each office that you have held.

2 ClayDen January 13, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Boy, am I surprised. NOT!

3 Field day... January 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM

What a field day for “SNARKY POSTS”.
Today’s going to cause some of our regular
posters heads to explode. Oh the humanity!

4 Oh Great January 13, 2014 at 2:31 PM

Hey Mark, how about polling your constituents and see if they want you to – “I’m running for Congress to help bring an end to the brinkmanship and gridlock in Washington, so that we can move forward with President Obama’s agenda….”

5 NO WAY January 13, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Will give me the greatest pleasure to contribute to his opponent and to give my free time to help in that opponent’s campaign. Am a Union member and have been for over 30 years, DeSaulnier is the wrong person for Congress.

6 Jim January 13, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Yea!…another career politician running for a seat that they won’t vacate for decades…and you know he’ll get alected…for some reason…the man who gave us the bullet train willl win the hearts of the Welfare calss in Richmond

7 Nature Lover January 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Big surprise, huh?

8 Always Right January 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Desaulnier = Miller Lite

Just another far left career politician determined to expand and exploit poverty in America.

9 Wonderful January 13, 2014 at 2:54 PM

This is not a surprise.

10 #1 NRA fan and member January 13, 2014 at 2:58 PM

LOL!!! Good luck with that Mark “Stupid” DeSaulnier… THE TEA PARTY is in charge here! And we demand a REAL PATRIOTIC AMERICAN, not some PINKO AMERICA-HATING COMMIE LIBERAL!!!!!

11 . January 13, 2014 at 3:00 PM

What a surprise – the body ain’t yet cold, and already he’s jumping in…

I’m supporting his opponent – whoever it is.

12 Anon Redux January 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Insurance expert discusses problems with Covered California

“I believe there are a lot of angry people out there, and as the new rules and new taxes become evident, there are going to be a lot more angry voters. Many politicians are attempting to distance themselves from the ACA. The major players in California have been immune to the actions of Covered California – so far. I would submit that once the public figures out that all the decision-makers in Covered California are political appointees of Gov. Brown and/or his Democratic leadership, they will be vengeful. The next election may be very interesting.”

13 Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Look I’m not a Republican but here is reality:
The Republicans are going to hold the House. Why would we put in a Democrat when he will have no influence? Better with a moderate Republican then a far left Democrat.

Desaulnier had the ability to stop the BART strikes forever and chickened out, strictly because the unions have bought him off.

14 Follow the Money January 13, 2014 at 3:18 PM
15 Atticus Thraxx January 13, 2014 at 3:28 PM

“Champions of the middle-class” my a$$.

16 WC Boy January 13, 2014 at 3:30 PM

career politician…not in touch with reality

17 Krogs January 13, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Oh Hell no!

18 Term Limits January 13, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Mark and Susan – the Peter Principle at work

19 WTF? January 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Of course he is…

20 KJ January 13, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Anonymous (#13) — Please name a moderate Republican in the House, or more specifically, one who is independent of the obstructionist Tea Party. There would not be total grid-lock in Congress were there still independent moderate Republicans.

With the ruthless arrogance displayed by Republicans in New Jersey in mind — blocking the George Washington Bridge (particularly on 9/11, of all days!) — I have some doubts about the Republicans “holding the House” in the 2014 election.

21 anon January 13, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I thought the political section was for politics. Some of us don’t really care about politics and their promises.

22 Yhe Phantom January 13, 2014 at 3:49 PM

“Democrats examine a problem in all its complexity and then they find a person smart enough to solve it. Republicans examine a problem until they can find some argument to do nothing.” ~ Yhe фантом

State Senator Mark DeSaulnier for 114th Congress…Go Concord!

23 Reader of Tea Leaves January 13, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Mark will win unless another Garamendi type candidate pops out of left field. He has earned it.

24 Yhe Phantom January 13, 2014 at 4:08 PM

The Tea Party is the Pit Bull the Republican Party will not muzzle, cage or curb. They must be prevented from doing further harm.

The House must be recovered with Democratic control for the sake of the poor, the sick, and to prevent more unnecessary military dead and wounded.

DeSaulnier for Congress…a Democratic Party Favorite.

A Tradition of Democratic accomplishment.

25 Mark January 13, 2014 at 4:10 PM

No way he will get my vote this time after hiding during the BART negotiations. No way.

26 Tr's January 13, 2014 at 4:17 PM

No Way!

27 Amy January 13, 2014 at 4:36 PM

No doubt to take Miller’s seat. Voters are really stupid and will vote him in and he’ll be there for 35 years voting the same as Miller. Higher taxes to pay for more welfare for illegals. Anti oil. Anti gun. Against school choice, etc. Wasn’t De Saulnier a Republican when he first ran for office and then changed to Democrat? Please correct me if I am wrong.

28 Mark January 13, 2014 at 4:37 PM

@Follow The Money

Explains why Mark hid in his shell during the BART thing.

29 ClayDen January 13, 2014 at 4:54 PM

@KJ

A moderate is somebody who can’t make up their mind, and/or has no core beliefs. I want someone who stands for the core principles on which this great country was founded (i.e., the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution). For you low information voters, that means a Conservative.

Taxed Enough Already? Or are you one of the half that don’t pay any taxes, most of whom are getting some form of Government assistance. Government assistance means that you are taking from those of us who pay taxes, which is stealing a part of our lives, as we have to spend that time working enough to take care of you.

30 Elwood January 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM

@ KJ #20

” I have some doubts about the Republicans “holding the House” in the 2014 election.”

Let me set your mind at ease. Republicans will lose the House the day they serve frozen yogurt in hell.

31 Elwood January 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Marky Mark, the former saloon keeper, was a Republican until fairly recently when the local Dem power structure explained to him how the hog was going to eat the cabbage. Suddenly he was a born again Dem.

The most important thing you need to know about Marky Mark? He never met a public employee union he didn’t like.

32 Bob the Repairman January 13, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Isn’t it time to stop these career politicians? 40 years for George Miller as a Representative!! Anything after five years, one tends to lose touch of what life is like in the real world. Once they are shielded by the Washington, DC bubble, they tend to forget.

33 AnnMari January 13, 2014 at 5:40 PM

He will run and be voted in. He has a nice agenda, but will he see it through. That is the question.

34 Craig January 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM

@ ClayDen-29

There are a lot more moderates than Liberals or Conservatives, and a moderate is NOT someone who can’t make up their mind.

A moderate is someone who’s middle of the road, not far left or far right.

Moderates make a lot more sense than far left wackos or far right wackos. I don’t know which is worse. Six to one, half a dozen to the other.

THAT’S MY MODERATES OUTNUMBER OTHERS!

35 claycordian January 13, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Anyone want to bet that Georgie told Markie a few days ago that retirement was coming? Markie just couldn’t wait to announce. Trying to beat out Torkelson?

36 Gus January 13, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Phantom quoting yourself really doesn’t put you in a good light. Unless you are trying to look good for group therapy.

Even Miley doesn’t quote herself.

37 M.O.A January 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM

One thing for sure, Desaulnier can’t be any worse.Unfortunately he could’nt possibly be any better. Same seat, same agenda, different name.

38 VikingPrincess January 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Wow, great use of buzz words and PC statements. Got herself a good writer. Could not have done better myself.

Nothing personal but the buzz word thing kind of tunes me out to the rumblings of Charlie Brown’s Parent’s. WaahAhhAhhAhhWaaaha …

Great job buddy.

39 NoMoreFreeRide January 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Another career politician replacing a career politician. That will really help everyone out! Who bets old Georgie becomes a lobbyist making the bigger bucks since he knows how to grease the system after 40 years. Disgusting! Time to let a regular person take over and do the good of the people not the lobbyists and corporations.

40 Anon January 13, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Great our do noting congress will live on if he gets in office. I will vote for anyone who runs against him.

41 Anon January 13, 2014 at 6:44 PM

If only he was a Latino Lesbian with a handicap, then he’d be a democratic shoe in.

And NO F$%^ING WAY!

42 Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Not content to bankrupt the county and the state, Mark can really get into spending the country into oblivion.

43 mutts January 13, 2014 at 7:02 PM

All Democrat states are financially in the toilet.. just the facts.

44 Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Yes, DeSaulnier was a Republican until he held his finger in the wind.Here is a fact he won’t remind you of: In one of his races he told the audience he was a “True liberal”, that’s code for tax and spend.

45 TinFoiler January 13, 2014 at 7:48 PM

#32, Yes it is. But as long as Football, Nascar, NBA, MLB, Golden Globes, False Flags, American “IDLE”, Kartrashians & Dancing With the Sluts are used to keep the Sheep docile and ignorant = It will NEVER HAPPEN.

46 Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Look at poster number 1 . This was an intern in Marks office. Nobody here writes like that, even Mad Mom gushes over lefties with some reality. At least she doesn’t sound like a campaign ad.

47 VikingPrincess January 13, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Oops! I spoke too soon. Your writer left out “transparency”, “social media” and ” I will be the congressman that will bring home the troops”…let’s see, did I leave anything out?

Hmm

48 Ven Exeter January 13, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Great, finally get rid of one career politician who loathes the working man and another public employee union-owned lackey is waiting in the wings.

49 KAD January 13, 2014 at 8:47 PM

Mark is a good man with a good heart. He will get my vote.

50 caskydiver January 13, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Oh gosh….just what we need. I should consider running against him.

51 caskydiver January 13, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Sen DeSaulnier hasn’t done much of anything I think is positive for us in our state legislature, so why should I think he’d do better for us in Congress? He’s done nothing recently but craft legislation that makes victims of crime the criminal (don’t forget to report that stolen gun!), has consistently opposed second amendment rights, was in charge of the bay bridge debacle that was years overdue and billions over budget, and then waits to expresses his “outrage” only after the bridge is completed. What a limp candidate for Congress. Won’t get my vote…

52 JLG January 13, 2014 at 9:08 PM

I will support him with funds.

53 JKI January 13, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I lost all respect & support for State Sen. Desaulnier when he started sponsoring things like SB375 and SB-1 recently. You might remember, the legislation that allows for agencies to declare almost anything (… like… Orinda!) “blight” for purposes of redevelopment, and giving density bonuses to developers. ABAG, “Plan Bay Area”, etc, etc.

54 Shelly January 13, 2014 at 10:16 PM

Mighty big shoes to fill.

55 Soothsayer January 13, 2014 at 10:32 PM

I predict Bonilla will run for senate.

56 Bob H. January 13, 2014 at 10:32 PM

What a joke !!!!!!!!

57 ChampagneKitty January 13, 2014 at 10:56 PM

For those for you who don’t want to see Mark run for George’s seat, who would you rather see run?

58 Liar January 13, 2014 at 11:03 PM

When Mark DeSaulnier’s lips move they are spewing lies. He’s a shoo-in to replace Miller.

59 Soothsayer January 13, 2014 at 11:28 PM

It is funny, but predictions usually are. :-)

60 The Authority January 14, 2014 at 4:31 AM

Hi, I’m Markie DeE.. I’m just like you. I’m a Republican who runs a business in our fair town. I came from a hard scrabble life back east. I am one of you. Please vote for me for Concord City Council. (Read the puff piece from way back in the day in the CoCoTimes) I know how to bring in the support for my Republican brethren in Sacramento. It’s not for political payback, no way. It is what I truly believe in. Thanks to Governor Wilson (R) for realizing that and appointing me to the County Board of Supes. Uh-oh, I’ve just been informed that no one goes any higher than city council in bay area politics unless he has a (D) after his name. (Unless appointed by the Governor). But, I have higher aspirations. Epiphany! I have seen the light and my expendable inner values and belief system have been flipped 180. I am a Democrat! Please vote for me for State Assembly. Okay, now I’m bored and this is beneath me, so State Senate! What’s that you say? Run my business under the governance I’ve helped create? Nah, sold that thing. GOVERNMENT is my business, now. Wait for it, wait for it, Congressman King George has been looking a little sickly lately, is this it…? Vote for me! Vote for me! I shall be your next Lord, er, Representative in D.C. for this area. And, you better shut up and go along, because Pelosi and Boxer ain’t getting any younger and as a Senator I could be appointed V.P. and maybe someday…

61 Anonymous January 14, 2014 at 7:13 AM

SEIU/ BART unions will pour money to Mark for his coronation. Middle class families screwed again.

Plus, he’s not too smart.

62 The4thBore January 14, 2014 at 7:58 AM

I bet the MTC is dancing in circles right now lining up champagne and planning new bridge toll raises to fund theor next holiday party! On a serious note, i’d like to see Mark focus on a wider agenda and not be so specialized like he and Bonilla are both today.

63 jets January 14, 2014 at 1:34 PM

great another slug living off tax payers and never working a real job

64 Elwood January 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Feel the love and the excitement about Marky Mark’s candidacy!

65 Yhe Phantom January 14, 2014 at 3:09 PM

- State Senator Mark DeSaulnier for Congress 2014 – the New Concord Solution!

66 . January 14, 2014 at 6:37 PM

DeSaulnier says he wants to represent us so he can push Obama’s agenda…

DeSaulnier said in the news this morning that it’s an opportunity he “can’t pass up.”

DeSaulnier has consistently voted the dem party line in Sacramento.

Who the f$$$ is he trying to fool? He has forgotten that his job is to REPRESENT his constituents. There is nothing in the Constitution that talks about the political party! Voting the party line is NOT “reaching across the aisle….”

He is NOT interested in what the voters have to say …..if he comes around, I’m gonna show him the emails he returned to me showing that…

The idiot is a bald faced liar! No wonder phandumb and the monkey are supporting him.

67 Bill P January 14, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Simply, He will be a little George………a carpetbagger of the first order.

68 Steve in Concord January 15, 2014 at 3:19 PM

You lost my vote as soon as you stated you wanted to push forward Obamas agenda(s). What a joke. You are also anti-gun which loses my vote again. Go away please