Claycord Congressman George Miller Announces Retirement

January 13, 2014 9:13 am · 100 comments

miller

U.S. Rep. George Miller announced this morning that he plans to retire after serving for 40 years in Congress.

“Now, I look forward to one last year in Congress fighting the good fight and then working in new venues on the issues that have inspired me. What a wonderful experience this has been,” Miller said in a statement.

He said he won’t seek re-election in the fall.

Miller, 68, was elected to the House of Representatives in 1974 at age 29, and said his top accomplishments include helping to craft and pass the Affordable Care Act.

FULL PRESS RELEASE FROM CONGRESSMAN GEORGE MILLER (BELOW):

Congressman George Miller, a senior Democrat from California who has chaired three committees during the past 40 years and is a principal author of major laws affecting America’s education system, labor and health policy, and the protection of natural resources, announced today that he will not seek a 21st term in the House this fall.

“This is a great institution and I cannot thank my family and my constituents enough for having given me the honor and privilege of representing my district in Congress these past 40 years,” said Miller (D-CA-Contra Costa County). “I have tried to repay them for their confidence by working hard every day to make our country a better place. I’m proud of what I have been able to accomplish on behalf of children, working people and the environment, in my district and for our country, especially passage of national health care reform. Now, I look forward to one last year in Congress fighting the good fight and then working in new venues on the issues that have inspired me. What a wonderful experience this has been.”

Miller, 68, has shown equal enthusiasm and energy in all aspects of his job, from dissecting the complexities of health care policy or school nutrition programs at congressional hearings, to joining a picket line outside Walmart in his district, to reading to and playing paddy cake with children at local Head Start centers. He has traveled home to his district in the East Bay of San Francisco from Washington nearly every weekend of his long career.

An aggressive and unapologetic investigator in defense of taxpayers and the health and safety of children and workers, Miller has successfully taken on asbestos executives, for-profit colleges, subsidized agribusiness, mining corporations, oil companies, boot camps for troubled youth, and Administration officials of both parties. He is well known for sticking with issues over the long haul and engaging directly with the people most affected by the policies under consideration, such as mineworker families, fishermen, teachers and children, garment workers, seniors, and experts from across the country in the fields of education, labor and the environment. The Nation magazine recently named Miller the 2013 “Most Valuable Member of the House” for his work on the minimum wage, food stamps, garment worker safety, and fair trade policy.

He served as chair of the Select Committee on Children, Youth and Families (1983-1992), the Committee on Natural Resources (1992-1994), the Committee on Education and Labor (2007-2010), and was the long-time co-chair of Democratic Steering and Policy Committee, a leadership position he resigned from in January of 2013. He has used each of these positions to advance his policy priorities and highlight inequities in the federal budget.

George Miller issued the following statement:

“This is a great institution and I cannot thank my family and my constituents enough for having given me the honor and privilege of representing them in Congress these past 40 years. I have tried to repay them for their confidence by working hard every day to make our country a better place.

“I’m proud of what I have been able to accomplish on behalf of children, working people and the environment, in my district and for our country, especially passage of national health care reform.

“I have not won every fight that I have waged. And there remain, of course, many critical challenges waiting to be addressed. But I have no regrets about what I have accomplished and what I have tried to accomplish in the public interest.

“Now, I look forward to one last year in Congress fighting the good fight and then working in new venues on the issues that have inspired me, and I will not seek re-election this fall. What a wonderful experience this has been.

“I came to Congress to help children of all backgrounds in America get a healthy start in life, have opportunity to get a good education, and eventually have the chance to work hard at a job with dignity. The first law that I authored expanded the WIC program that provides nutritional foods to pregnant women and newborns, and the most recent bills I’ve introduced would expand early childhood education and raise the minimum wage to lift families out of poverty.

“As a youth, I watched my father use his elected position to really help people, and I told myself, ‘That’s what I want to do when I grow up.’ Since I came to Congress 40 years ago, I’ve woken up every day asking myself the same question – ‘what is my opportunity to do some good today?’ And I think that I have lived up to the high standard I set for myself when I first sought this job, with the same degree of commitment and passion now as when I first started.

“I believe that we are in the midst of one of the most exciting and critical times for educational achievement, teacher empowerment and school reform. This includes the smart application and use of technology that offers a remarkable opportunity to address and reduce persistent problems in American education, like improving educational equity, strengthening teacher performance, and revolutionizing the teaching and learning environment in schools.

“This type of education reform and innovative thinking can change the lives of millions of American children, strengthen our communities, and revitalize our economy. Unfortunately, that’s not on this Congress’ agenda. But these reforms must happen, and I want to be part of them.

“Wealthy and powerful special interests have always had plenty of friends in Washington. I came to Congress to stand up for the rest of us. And I have learned a great deal in the process. Two lessons stand out among many: First, that enacting progressive public policy is good for our economy and our country. It helps to grow and strengthen the middle class, and that makes America a better place for everyone. And, second, that making good public policy is very hard work. The job is never done. It requires a great sense of urgency to move forward on the big issues and enormous stamina to see them all the way through. The wins don’t come quickly, even when the need is dire, and the losses are hard to accept. And third, that elections matter. Election results establish the basic parameters for what kind of legislation is possible in Congress. After each election, it is clear whether we will have a greater or a lessor chance of forging bi-partisan alliances to move major legislation to help the country.

“I will leave Congress with a full heart and a crowded plate, because the challenges of our times demand our constant involvement. We’ve made progress on many fronts but have a lot of work still to do. I’ll miss my daily collaboration with Leader Pelosi and so many colleagues whom I respect and admire, and I will always be grateful for the remarkable staff that I have been blessed with over the years. So much of what I have been able to accomplish is the result of a joint venture with my staff in California and Washington and so many talented and committed advocates outside of Congress.

“I look forward to continuing to work on the issues that have been at the core of my career and my passions, in particular education reform, economic fairness, and improving labor standards in the United States and abroad, such as in the worldwide garment industry.

“For the remainder of this year, I plan to push Congress ‘to do some good,’ including to:

• Extend long-term unemployment insurance benefits to the 1.3 million Americans who unfairly had their coverage cut off on December 28th.
  • Raise the minimum wage to at least $10.10 per hour by 2016, index it to inflation, and include a raise for tipped workers.
  • Further implement the Affordable Care Act to extend health insurance to all Americans.
  • Find common ground to fix the No Child Left Behind Act.
  • Make college more affordable through the Higher Education Act.
  • Push for passage of the bi-partisan Miller-Harkin-Hanna bill to implement President Obama’s initiative to expand early childhood education services nationally.
  • Enact comprehensive immigration reform.
  • Encourage American companies to embrace international labor standards in their substandard factories in Bangladesh and other countries.

“That’s a tall agenda, I know, but it’s an agenda the American people strongly support and one that will help strengthen our country, reduce inequality, and create opportunities for all of our children for years to come.”

{ 100 comments }

1 Thank you January 13, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Thank you for your representation and speaking for us that believe as you do. I will miss you, and your fight for those less fortunate.

2 Julie January 13, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Congratulations on your retirement. You did an excellent job for a very long time.

You will be missed.

3 funny man January 13, 2014 at 9:38 AM

i am s p e e c h l e s s!
i thought for sure he would be getting reelected 200 years from now…even just as a talking head in a jar

4 Never Intended January 13, 2014 at 9:45 AM

That’s too long to be in office, 40 years! I suspect he finally landed a job as a lobbyist $$$.

5 BCuzItzClaycord January 13, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Well now you all can say “hello” to Congressman John Gioia……………..

6 Sacto Rob January 13, 2014 at 9:49 AM

A useless sponge of public dollars. Good riddance. 40 years in Congress without one major policy inititiative. He can easily be replaced by a rubber stamp.

7 Woohoo! January 13, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Finally some GOOD news around here.

8 The Mamba January 13, 2014 at 9:53 AM

His top accomplishment was passing the ACA? Wow, I feel bad for the guy and I hope he can accomplish something worthwhile after he retires so his whole professional life didn’t culminate in a giant cluster f.

9 Hank January 13, 2014 at 9:57 AM

He should be proud of the fact that he was one of only 66 Representatives who voted against the Patriot Act in 2001.

10 MDUSD Grad January 13, 2014 at 9:59 AM

His top accomplishment is helping pass a steaming pile of dog turd.

Did he not have any initiatives of his own to be proud of?

Also, 40 years is about 34 years too long for ANY politician. They’ve long since lost touch with their district and real life by then, and are insulated from the effects of their terrible legislation for too long. We need term limits for every policital office, state and federal.

11 Founding Fathers January 13, 2014 at 10:01 AM

40 years of public office was NEVER what our Founding Fathers intended. It’s not King George’s fault, the minions voted him in at every election, so that indicates he must have been doing something right.

Happiness in retirement King George.

12 Idiocracy January 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM

ACA? pffff the Americans cant afford act more like it. So he’s another commie since he also voted for gov assisted extortion. Thank you for 40 years of nothing if that’s all you can claim to have done. Geez 40 years and not one bill to slap tariffs on China and their cheap goods?

13 Term Limits January 13, 2014 at 10:05 AM

The living embodiment of why we should have term limits or, an intelligence test to hold office.

14 ClayDen January 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM

That just made my day! Now we need to elect a non-socialist to replace him.

15 D.S.R., MD January 13, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Good riddance KNUCKLEHEAD.

You’d better retire far away from here……

16 anonmtz January 13, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Now is the time for the hysterical right of Clayton to mount a campaign, nominate one of your very own, spend some of those funds and finally TAKE this district.

Dennis? Connie? Always Right? etal, now is your time!

17 . January 13, 2014 at 10:13 AM

I guess we can expect Marky Mark to “step up to the plate” now to “carry on his legacy.”

18 Noj January 13, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Smell ya later.

19 Jaded January 13, 2014 at 10:17 AM

“40 years in Congress”, just another reason for term limits. Having your main accomplishment as ‘Obama Care’ is not much too much to gloat about. Now its off to lobbyist land, to work for a foreign Government and against the interest of the American public — typical. At leat you got your son the hookup as well! Fargin nepotism freak!

20 Thanks! January 13, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Thank You for your dedicated service Congressman Miller.

I have attended a few events that you have spoken at recently and was impressed by the way you handled those constituents who called you names and threatened you.

You had cojones, and I hope whoever represents us next has the nerve to stand up to bullies too.

21 huh? January 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Go out at the bottom……part of “if you like your plan you can keep your plan”
someone please explain to me something he has done that did not include his union “friends”….Dont you think he realizes he might lose due to his attachment and strong backer of the ACA?

22 Reader of Tea Leaves January 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Thank you for your many years of service Congressman Miller. Contra Costa is a much better place for having had you Represent us all these years.

Now who will be the heir apparent. Open safe seats don’t come up very often and the scramble is going to be fun to watch.

In no particular order.

Ellen Tauscher 25/1
Sunne Wright McPeake 50/1
Karen Mitchoff 50/1
Elizabeth Emken 33/1
Jack Weir 500/1
Tony LaRussa 100/1
Mayor of Claycord 2/1 favorite.

PLACE YOUR BETS!

23 anon January 13, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Congressman George, You will always be a Young Democrat! Thank you for your long record of history-making service and tireless advocacy on behalf of women and children.

24 Yhe Phantom January 13, 2014 at 10:23 AM

“For 40 years in the House, George Miller has been the model of the serious, substantive and successful legislator,” Pelosi said in a statement. “He has written some of the most creative legislation of our time — on health care, education, child policy and labor rights, and also on the environment, energy and national parks.”

25 RunnerDope January 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM

The one time I needed help from my congress critter, his office was very helpful.

26 The4thBore January 13, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Most excellent news here!! Time for someone with fresh ideas and a clear focus on us, not their 40+ year re-election buddies best interest.

27 Armydadca January 13, 2014 at 10:35 AM

@The Mamba – you took the words right from my keyboard.

I can not believe (yes I can, but it wont sound good) that he is proud of only one accomplishment in 40 years. And it just so happens to be probably the single most unpopular item to come out of the cess pool he works in.

George we wish you well in retirement, because it means you won’t come up with any more cockamamie ideas to screw up our lives.

28 Mark January 13, 2014 at 10:42 AM

He can retire now that his work is done, the country is nearly ruined.
The rest of the idiots in Congress can finish the job without him.

29 ChampagneKitty January 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Mark DeSaulnier will be running for George’s seat.

30 Foonman January 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM

This is a big win for us. We need term limits. He’s made his his millions.

31 Just Another Concord Resident January 13, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Thank God he is retiring.. nothing but a rubber stamp that took over his fathers office. I wonder if he has sons that will be “fairly” elected to replace him? I know I am having unrealistic expectations of good representation.. oh well, still have dreams.

32 94598 January 13, 2014 at 10:50 AM

A lifetime politician- pretty darn disgusting.
I wonder what the still unknown to us up-comer had to pay George to retire.

Job well done George- good riddance

33 wc44 January 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM

What a relief. 40 years is too long. Hopefully there will be a competitive primary with lots of ideas.

34 Laura Zah January 13, 2014 at 10:54 AM

No time like the present! Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today?

35 Dr. Jellyfinger January 13, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Leaving? I hope it wasn’t something we said….

36 A great day January 13, 2014 at 10:59 AM

It’s about time. What a great day.

Wonder if his son George is going to run. Would be real easy for him to ride his fathers and grandfathers coat tails into office on name recognition alone.

37 irishill January 13, 2014 at 11:05 AM

That’s the best news today.

38 cluster f. January 13, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Happy wealthy retirement on the tax payer dollar!

39 Atticus Thraxx January 13, 2014 at 11:10 AM

Repeated the same two paragraphs twice. Yeah, that pretty much sums him up:
“Miller’s expansive congressional career has been marked by a tenacious pursuit of a quality education for children from all backgrounds and economic opportunity for the working poor and middle class. He built a successful record in Congress by using sophisticated legislative strategies, pointed investigations of powerful special interests, and impassioned advocacy. He has been steadfast whether Democrats or Republicans were in the majority.

Elected in 1974 at age 29 as the Vietnam War and the Watergate scandal were coming to a close, he collaborated on writing major laws over the years with other congressional leaders as divergent as the late Democratic Sen. Ted Kennedy and Republican Speaker John Boehner. A longtime supporter and advisor to Democratic Leader and former Speaker Nancy Pelosi, he currently serves as the top Democrat on the House Education and the Workforce Committee and is the fifth most senior member of the House of Representatives.”

40 PH Dad January 13, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Don’t the door hit ya, where the good lord split ya on the way out George.

Retirement should not be an option for congressional service. 40 years is too long.

41 Nancy will tell us January 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM

who will be replacing George and who will represent us. We really have nothing to say about it. I think it will be Susan. She ran unopposed. Mark is just Mark.

42 Reader of Tea Leaves January 13, 2014 at 11:16 AM

What you folks don’t appear to grasp is that power in Congress is based on seniority. George Miller had a great deal of seniority which meant he had his choice of Committees appointments. When Nancy Pelosi was Speaker, George Miller was her right hand and the second most powerful member of the House. If you are celebrating his departure and you have no idea how this power helped Contra Costa County.

The new Rep for the 11th District will be the most junior member of Congress, just a rung or two above the janitor. If you think a fresh face is a good thing, just wait. This fresh face will have no staff, no sway, no ability to direct funds to the County, nothing. Be careful what you wish for.

As for the “intentions of the founding fathers” who the hell is anyone here to say what they intended? They wrote the Constitution to allow any American to run for Congress as many times as they want and to claim they didn’t really intend to do this is revisionism. pure and simple.

43 Tamara January 13, 2014 at 11:17 AM

It is sad to see George Miller leave. Without his commitment to early childhood education Martinez Early Childhood Center toddler and pre-school would not have had the funding to survive all these years! He would show up to all the fundraisers we had. My daughter attended those programs. It was the beginning of her education. I believe a foundation of a great education makes a difference for a child. After high school graduation she was accepted to UC Davis. She is now in her Junior year. A few years back she spent 3 weeks in Washington DC and met Mr. Miller he was very pleasant to her and my mom. I for one want to thank you George Miller for all you have done to promote education! He is also UC Davis Alumni!

44 Hmmm January 13, 2014 at 11:24 AM

I’ve always liked George Miller, and thought he was very popular.

Obviously, not on Claycord.

I think Claycord is too full of unhappy people who want an excuse to complain.

Take a look at your own lives. The truth hurts.

Good luck Mr. Miller. You will be missed!

45 AWESOME! January 13, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Who can forget this stunning speech. Oh, how he made his constituents proud when he accused McClintock of waging jihad against the American people.

What a complete d-bag. No matter what your politics, this guy is an embarrassment to us all as our ‘representative’.

46 Tee January 13, 2014 at 11:26 AM

A perfect example of everything that is wrong with government. Sad to think that a some lib like DeSaulnier or Bonilla is likely to replace him. Another career politician, another leech. It really comes down to how dumb the average voter is. That anyone supports these spenders and union sell-outs is baffling. All the busy bodies in the neighborhoods drive this stuff and create their little insulated utopias. Glad he is gone. I hope he doesn’t settle into the Contra Costa area, as it would be revolting to see him influencing local issues.

47 mike mac January 13, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Great news!!! Let the fight begin……

48 Chalkboy January 13, 2014 at 11:28 AM

38 years too late. Didn’t his father hold his seat for a long time?

49 . January 13, 2014 at 11:30 AM

The “nerve to stand up to bullies”?

How ’bout that tantrum he threw recently?

Right – we need more like him. Riiiiiiight.

50 Jim January 13, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Don’t let the door hit ya on the way out!

51 anon January 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM

46 Tee,

Representative Miller has maintained his home, with his family, in Martinez for over 40 years.

How long have you been settled into the Contra Costa area?

52 Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Bonilla will run, replacing one village idiot with another. The Democratic Central Committee will make the decision for us.

53 Reader of Tea Leaves January 13, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Imagine if we had a Congress where each member was allowed to serve one term.

“Welcome to Congress Mr. Smith, the bathrooms are over there, the copy machine is at the end of the hall, you are going to sit on the Education committee, Foreign Affairs and Science and technology, they meet on Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays respectively, here are the policy binders you need to get up to speed on ASAP. Goodbye Mr. Smith it was a pleasure having you serve in Congress.”

We have term limits in Sacramento and there is no institutional knowledge left in the Capitol which means the lobbyists run the place. How has that been working out?

54 Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Fortunately he is defanged.We note that everyone of his initative he will fight for will cost the taxpayers or shore up failing programs like no child left behind and obamacare.

Looser

55 Back off #6,7,10,12 and the other haters January 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I was just waiting for some of the fellow trollers on claycord to say something negative about this man’s accomplishments. He served and representated our government for 40 years…and was involved in many commendable achievments – labor and health, education and most importantly Affordable Heathcare for those who need it the most. Have any of you haters ever done something worthwhile for 40 years? So stop bashing this man’s service in office. Government work is not easy and every decision you make is strutinized by the media and general public. He could have easily opted out for a higher paying job in the private sector, but he chose to say in office. I salute him for his years of service.

And to the troll named MDUSD Grad who refered to Mr. Miller’s work as “a steaming pile of turd” – perhaps you can share some of your unique accomplishments with us, over the past 40 years. I am sure those milestones in your life pale in comparison to those of George Miller’s.

56 anon January 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM

@ Founding Fathers -

Au contraire mon frere. Our Founding Fathers originally chose land owners to represent other landowners who would make prudent decisions on behalf of all who had the right to vote (white men) and all the rest who didn’t have the right to vote (non-land-owning men, all women, Native American Tribe members aka Indians and slaves). It was a commonly held belief that the non-land-owning public were rabble and did not have the necessary qualities to make good decisions for rule.

57 Michelle January 13, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Now Jim, no need to be rude. He has done a great service for us and the state of california.

58 mutts January 13, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Amen

59 @ 55 January 13, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Boy, you sure are gullible.

60 Dorothy January 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Maybe term limits should be no more than 10 elections – total. Not just consecutively but total for any and all elected offices.

61 OldWCreeker January 13, 2014 at 12:17 PM

George Miller, the elder, was a California State Senator not a Congressman. George, the younger, ran unsuccessfully in the Primary against Pete Stark to replace his father while in his early twenties. John Nejedly won that State Senate seat and George, the younger went on to “work” for a Democratic legislator in Sacramento biding his time until he ran and won the Congressional seat at the ripe old age of 28. His entire “working” career was paid for by us. B bye!

62 anon January 13, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I would like an invitation to all of the retirement events of the individuals who are posting hateful and disrespectful comments about George Miller. I look forward to attending their retirement party to express, “Good riddance,” and “About time,” while asking what in the world did they ever do that was ever noteworthy or made life better?

Thank God for George Miller and his courageous stands for the quality of our drinking water, the Delta, women and infant nutrition program and many other efforts. He leaves big shoes to fill and it is my prayer that the new Congressional Representative will continue George Miller’s legacy of making it about helping others who are without an advocate rather than making it all about the already powerful and self.

63 Here is one for your GM haters... January 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM

For all those haters who say he did not accomplish anything, here is one – regarding the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act:

“Miller authored a piece arguing for the passage of the Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act, which he said would take money from subsidies and invest more in Pell Grant scholarships. He said that, instead of enriching banks with the current loan system, the bill would “invest billions in school modernization, give urgent help to historically black colleges and Hispanic serving institutions, and boost support for the nation’s bedrock local community colleges.” Miller said the system was only alive because of lobbyists and he urged the Senate to “send those dollars to students, at no costs to taxpayers.”

So helping less fortunate with their college education through more funding for Pell Grants and scholarships is a bad thing, right? Ok, now please shut up and sit down, people!!!

64 jets January 13, 2014 at 12:21 PM

nobody cares about your moronic statement, just another waste of space of a human which is what Martinez is good for, just look at the so called leaders in the largest county departments, hit the gym pork chops

65 @59 January 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM

Not really, I just respect the man’s accomplishments and choose not to hate on him like those who do nothing with their lives and live in glass houses eating bons-bons all day…

66 I would like to shake his hand January 13, 2014 at 12:32 PM

and thank him for his years of service.

67 ranger January 13, 2014 at 12:35 PM

He took office when 29 year olds still had
morals and ethics and they were reflected
in his politics … never involved in any scandal
that I know of … he served his constituents
well. But, the writing’s on the wall. He’s
smart to get out now before Obama com-
pletely destroys the country. The Bush’s
gave banks the keys to the kingdom
and they looted the fortunes of ordinary
people. Obama has given them to the
medical profession … God save us! It’s
going to get really ugly!

68 Reader of Tea Leaves January 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM

@ 54, Clearly all of Congressman Miller’s work on education policy wasn’t enough to help you.

Loser

69 ClayDen January 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM

@anon 56

No representation without taxation!

If you’re riding in the wagon, you shouldn’t have the right to vote for those that are pulling the wagon to have to pull harder.

70 Jaded January 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM

How about instead of perpetuating the same ole, same ole cronyisms: 17+trillion in debt, 60+trillion in unfunded liabilities, we shrink the Federal Government back to Constitutional size and put the power back where it belong — with the STATES!
Let the States keep their money instead of sending it off to a bloated leviathin of buracreacy where they shave (at least) 40% off the top and then use the remainder as a club against the States for their re-imbursement.

71 Back off haters January 13, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I think it is safe to say that George Miller’s legacy can be compared to that of Ted Kennedy. They both were career congressmen and served our country well.

72 Buh Bye January 13, 2014 at 12:50 PM

…and good riddance

A career politician, like the rest of the talking heads.

73 @55 sums it all up January 13, 2014 at 12:51 PM

“He served and representated our government for 40 years”.

Problem is he was supposed to be serving and representing us, all his constituents.

74 Monty Ablow January 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Something aint right. You dont give up this gig. All the perks? Automatic reelection? Big fat pension forever. Privvy to special deals when doling out government contracts. Dont have abide by the same rules that you make the consituents use (obamacare, Social Security)
Something is afoot.

75 Tee January 13, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Didn’t Ted Kennedy flee the scene of a questionable death? He rode into office on the relationships with the mob forged by daddy. How people can have such reverence for Kennedy proves my point earlier about the scumbags in congress. All of the trumpeting over his accomplishments reflects a flawed view about the role of government. I would care if his contribution consisted of legitimate government reform, and a reduction of the size and scope of government. Everything he has done has been a handout from the federal government in areas where the federal government has no business going. He is a big government liberal. Maybe a nice man, as most people that hand out money are usually pretty popular. He spend his whole life in public politics, how can he help but want to use government to try to solve problems? He is a product of government not a public servant.

76 calkid January 13, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Thank you so much for your service to our community. You have been a wonderful stewart for the environment and I will miss seeing your name on the ballot and placing my “x” next to it.

77 DimeBag January 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM

Back in 1969 when George was running for senator we crossed paths in Sun Valley Mall, Concord. I was standing by a pay phone fishing in my pocket for change to call my girlfriend. He walked up and introduced himself. We had a brief conversation then dropped a dime in my phone. It was only a dime back then. So he bought my vote. Thanks George!

78 Concord Guy January 13, 2014 at 1:37 PM

I wonder if this dinosaur ever had a real job…

79 Killjoy January 13, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Goodbye George. I won’t miss you.

80 MDUSD Grad January 13, 2014 at 1:49 PM

@55

Maybe you should read my post again. What I said was:

“His top accomplishment is helping pass a steaming pile of dog turd.

Did he not have any initiatives of his own to be proud of?”

If you don’t see how that’s different than calling all of his accomplishments a steaming pile of dog turd, then it’s no wonder you’re so easily impressed by Miller’s 40 years of doing not-very-much in congress.

81 . January 13, 2014 at 1:58 PM

He was supposed to represent his CONSTITUENTS!

82 He got a bridge January 13, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Flip-flop George was no friend to anyone. He changed his stance based on where it appeared it would work and he is an example of why politics needs a big overhaul. The career aspect is insane. All politicians are liars. Public service at CEO prices.

83 Elwood January 13, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Good news and bad news: George MIller, tired of tilting against windmills and seeing the writing on the wall is bailing. The bad news is that the recently Republican saloon keeper from Concord has announced that he is a candidate for the open seat.

The saloon keeper never met a public employee union he didn’t like.

84 Jojo potato January 13, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Let’s not forget his pushing through the bill to change the WC culvert from the Army to the CC county responsibility. This allows for the upcoming expansion of the Broadway plaza. Huge new garage behind Macys and all new shops between Macys and Nordstrom. I’m not looking forward to it but the WC council and their minders are. let’s go shopping!!!g

85 vindex January 13, 2014 at 2:39 PM

I respect his service….. I’m just glad he is retiring. He was wrong on most issues(including no child left behind), and I think he hurt the country more than helped it.

86 Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Oh Lordy, not DeSaulnier. Tell me he’s not running. We have enough drunks in congress

87 Always Right January 13, 2014 at 3:08 PM

@ reader of tea leaves – your statement about the value of seniority is true, but only if you are in the majority party.

Obama Care, Obama’s partisan bombastic rhetoric, and his incompetence in general has assured Republicans of continued majority status in the house.

Miller’s replacement will have no influence and no power.

88 Reader of Tea Leaves January 13, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I really wish Jack Weir would run, just so all the grumpy old farts on this site had someone to rally around.

RUN JACK RUN!

89 Atticus Thraxx January 13, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Amazing lack of accomplishments considering 40 years of “service”. Yet he still has his fans. I guess holding on to your elected position(s) for 40 years passes as heroic nowadays. Underwhelming cat and I’m no right-winger.

90 Antonio January 13, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Maybe he wants to retire early enough where he can enjoy life in his elderly years, instead of working himself to death his entire life.

68 sounds like a good age to retire. I’ve never understood people working in their late 70′s or 80′s, especially if you don’t need the money.

Enjoy your retirement Congressman Miller!

91 bumper sticker January 13, 2014 at 7:35 PM

@Atticus. Miller was the #2 ranking Democrat in the House, he brought a lot of money to this County for schools, roads bridges and jobs. What have you accomplished in your life that even remotely compares? Please lay out your heroic deeds.

Can’t wait for this.

92 proud patriot January 13, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Man I will miss you . You always responded to my concerns . Thanks for your service . I’m 44 yrs old you’ve been my rep since I was 13 yrs old.

blessing to you and yours

93 VikingPrincess January 13, 2014 at 8:08 PM

One of the many things I like about clay cord.com is every once in a post someone makes me laugh with their great sense of humor.
@funnyman …hilarious futurama visual of a talking head in a jar
And our resident proctologist @Dr jelly finger..
Took him 30 years or more to close with HCReform. Thank goodness authors such as Anne Rice write books instead of laws or we’d be bored out of our goards.

94 TimeServed January 13, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Thank you for your time in office–no more ruined lives or livelihoods to fulfill a begging self-need.

95 Atticus Thraxx January 13, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I paid for the schools,roads,bridges and jobs bumpersticker. And our Congressman’s salary too. Should I be doing more? Maybe write a another fat check to help pay for this ticks’ lifetime pension and free medical care?
Don’t dare me, ’cause I’ll do it.

96 Regular guy January 13, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Glad he is done. Rather than promoting business, he seems to want to give away the store. Look at his goals for this year…

97 The Authority January 14, 2014 at 4:49 AM

Good Lord, it is way past about time. King George entered congress in his twenties. He leaves with his multi-million dollar pension at damned near 70 years of age. The House of Representatives was never meant to be a career. That’s why they stand for election every TWO years. You are supposed to be a citizen representative. You go to D.C., craft limited government legislation, then go back and LIVE and WORK under the laws you passed. It is NOT supposed to be a lifetime appointment. Shame on the idiot electorate of this supposedly modern and educated district who could not find ONE person more qualified in forty years. What have we gained by installing this Socialist? He has voted for nearly every penny of a $17 TRILLION debt! He has certainly advocated for trillions more in spending which was never approved. Well, now that he’s leaving, we can go about naming everything in Contra Costa after him. I have to laugh when I think that he has been my Congressman since I was 9 years old, and now I’m almost 50. At least I had the honor of voting against him every two years. He handed us Government controlled socialized medicine on the way out the door, and was Pelosi’s errand boy, so that’s something. Hey, Co. Co. County; before we go and bestow DeSaulnier or some other Democrat Party approved hack to the seat as OUR rep for a lifetime term, might we first think about the principles of fiscal responsibility and limited government, and have some regular turnover from time to time?

98 Bout Time January 14, 2014 at 9:45 AM

You don’t “retire” you choose not to run for re-election. Now we will hear about the “Miller Seat” in the House as if it can be owned by someone. The seat is owned by the electorate and they “retire” the person from it by not electing the person. Frankly, we didn’t need a representative anyway since Miller has been no more than a puppet mouthpiece for every progressive piece of high tax, middle class destroying, education debasing, and socialized medicine idea that came down the line. The man has been a useful idiot for forty years.

99 Frank L. January 14, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Obviously the voters thought he was doing an excellent job, or he wouldn’t have been re-elected so many times.

All the counts is the votes, and he won’t have to worry about it anymore.

Enjoy your retirement Mr. Miller!

100 Oh Great January 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Not so obvious. Heavy union district. They are told how to vote.