Assemblywoman Bonilla Releases Statement on Congressman George Miller’s Retirement Announcement

January 13, 2014 · 30 comments

The following is a statement from Assemblywoman Susan A. Bonilla (D-Concord) on today’s announcement by U.S. Representative George Miller that he will retire at the end of this year:

“George Miller has proudly represented his constituents in Contra Costa County for over 40 years in Congress. In his exemplary service as a Member of the U.S. House of Representatives, he wrote or co-wrote many of the significant laws that brought health care to the uninsured, improved wages for working families, helped students pay down their student loans, and protected California’s natural resources from development. His dedication to his constituents and leadership that he provided for Contra Costa County and California will be truly missed.”

RELATED STORY: Claycord Congressman George Miller Announces Retirement

1 Susan January 13, 2014 at 12:10 PM

the heir apparent.

Mark’s still sleeping off his weekend.

2 RANDOM TASK January 13, 2014 at 12:11 PM

hmmm demifornia has steadly gone down hill for 40 years. ty BOnilla for informing us we might want to duck as the hole is filled with even more illegals getting free bees

3 Independent January 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM

This reads like a boiler plate memo. Change name, years and position. The parties love kissing each others ..UTTS.

Hey Susan, quit releasing memos and fix the roads!

4 RANDOM TASK January 13, 2014 at 12:14 PM

oh and 40 years and 4 things he accomplished ….so if you devide his pay by what he has done ……wow now wonder dems took over California sit on your butt and reep the bloated budgets and kickbacks as you meander and dish out 3 or 4 things to keep your job now wonder all the jobs are gone and we are about to have to learn Chinese at least they will get rid of the illegals they hate that.

5 RANDOM TASK January 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM

divide sorry to offend all you grammer geeks

6 jets January 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM

water ever retire already, he have been clogging that chair and living off tax payers for way to many years–worthless

7 jets January 13, 2014 at 12:24 PM

he is just another old guy that worked to long and made zero difference so he could wake up each morning and have somewhere to go, just like our so called county leaders in our largest departments. hit the gym pork chops try to do at least one pull-up-pathetic

8 RANDOM TASK January 13, 2014 at 12:27 PM

sorry for blanketing just read all of the press release so education reform was his biggest accomplishment. uhhhh dude your staff must put blinders on you. we are dead last behind Arkansas and all of the bayou. cuba is 5 steps ahead of us and last I looked the state education boards have mismanaged funds for the 40 years and left the state threatening every year school closures because we have no monay …yes monay…….wow so much wrong here must be my lack of education that makes me think I as well as many others got the short end of years of wasted tax money on panels and special interest marketing done by the dems to obviously keep them employed at our expense as we toil and bow to their self prescribed godism as they claim what ever they want as their success and blanket their success with shoddy work and back door dealings with seeno and other construction firms to secure tax loop holes and blank check scams all as the bonilla celebrates the state being a poster child for illegals and mismanagement of everything related to tax money and the well being of the state. Why would this state want anything else …..it has obviously fallen to the dark side and separated form the union on the down low of course to secure secret funding at no risk

9 Stay Tuned January 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Next up the battle of the FECKLESS to take his spot.

10 mutts January 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Birds of a feather…..

11 Noflow January 13, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Oh! Happy day!

12 MadMom January 13, 2014 at 12:55 PM

He has also been a champion for senior rights. He has done more to help those who put him down than they will ever know. Of course, one would have to pull their head out into daylight to actually know what they’ve missed.
I for one will always appreciate the laws and actions George Miller has helped to implement.

13 JD January 13, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Blah, blah, blah. In short…I’m running for Congress. See ya!

14 Claire January 13, 2014 at 1:17 PM

@ Random Task-8

You got all that into one sentence?

15 Killjoy January 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM

If she wants to do some good for this county and state, she should announce HER retirement as well. We need fresh blood in there.

16 Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 1:52 PM

The Affordable Care Act – One Perspective on Why It’s a Bad Thing

What ObamaCare is Really About

I’m a 54 year old consulting engineer and make between $60,000 and $125,000 per year, depending on how hard I work and whether or not there are work projects out there for me.

My girlfriend is 61 and makes about $18,000 per year, working as a part-time mail clerk.

For me, making $60,000 a year, under ObamaCare, the cheapest, lowest grade policy I can buy, which also happens to impose a $5,000 deductible, costs $482 per month.

For my girlfriend, the same exact policy, same deductible, costs $1 per month. That’s right, $1 per month. I’m not making this up.

Don’t believe me? Just go to http://www.coveredca.gov , the ObamaCare website for California and enter the parameters I’ve mentioned above and see for yourself. By the way, my zip code is 93940. You’ll need to enter that.

So OK, clearly ObamaCare is a scheme that involves putting the cost burden of healthcare onto the middle and upper-income wage earners. But there’s a lot more to it. Stick with me.

And before I make my next points, I’d like you to think about something:

I live in Monterey County, in Central California. We have a large land mass but just 426,000 residents – about the population of Colorado Springs or the city of Omaha.

But we do have a large Hispanic population, including a large number of illegal aliens, and to serve this group we have Natividad Medical Center, a massive, Federally subsidized county medical complex that takes up an area about one-third the size of the Chrysler Corporation automobile assembly plant in Belvedere, Illinois (see Google Earth View). Natividad has state-of-the-art operating rooms, Computed Tomography and Magnetic Resonance Imaging, fully equipped, 24 hour emergency room, and much more. If you have no insurance, if you’ve been in a drive-by shooting or have overdosed on crack cocaine, this is where you go. And it’s essentially free, because almost everyone who ends up in the ER is uninsured.

Last year, 2,735 babies were born at Natividad. 32% of these were born to out-of-wedlock teenage mothers, 93% of which were Hispanic. Less than 20% could demonstrate proof of citizenship, and 71% listed their native language as Spanish. Of these 876 births, only 40 were covered under [any kind of] private health insurance. The taxpayers paid for the other 836. And in case you were wondering about the entire population – all 2,735 births – less than 24% involved insured coverage or even partial payment on behalf of the patient to the hospital in exchange for services. Keep this in mind as we move forward.

Now consider this:

If I want to upgrade my policy to a low-deductible premium policy, such as what I had with my last employer, my cost is $886 per month. But my girlfriend can upgrade her policy to the very same level, for just $4 per month. That’s right, $4 per month. $48 per year for a zero-deductible, premium healthcare policy – the kind of thing you get when you work at IBM (except of course, IBM employees pay an average of $170 per month out of pocket for their coverage).

I mean, it’s bad enough that I will be forced to subsidize the ObamaCare scheme in the first place. But even if I agreed with the basic scheme, which of course I do not, I would never agree to subsidize premium policies. If I have to pay $482 a month for a budget policy, I sure as hell do not want the guy I’m subsidizing to get a better policy, for less that 1% of what I have to fork out each month for a low-end policy.

Why must I pay $482 per month for something the other guy gets for a dollar? And why should the other guy get to buy an $886 policy for $4 a month? Think about this: I have to pay $10,632 a year for the same thing that the other guy can get for $48. $10,000 of net income is 60 days of full time work as an engineer. $48 is something I could could pay for collecting aluminum cans and plastic bottles, one day a month.

Are you with me on this? Are you starting to get an idea what ObamaCare is really about?

ObamaCare is not about dealing with inequities in the healthcare system. That’s just the cover story. The real story is that it is a massive, political power grab. Do you think anyone who can insure himself with a premium policy for $4 a month will vote for anyone but the political party that provides him such a deal? ObamaCare is about enabling, subsidizing, and expanding the Left’s political power base, at taxpayer expense.
Why would I vote for anyone but a Democrat if I can have babies for $4 a month? For that matter, why would I go to college or strive for a better job or income if it means I have to pay real money for healthcare coverage? Heck, why study engineering when I can be a schlub for $20K per year and buy a new F-150 with all the money I’m saving?

And think about those $4-a-month babies – think in terms of propagation models. Think of just how many babies will be born to irresponsible, under-educated mothers. Will we get a new crop of brain surgeons and particle physicists from the dollar baby club, or will we need more cops, criminal courts and prisons? One thing you can be certain of: At $4 a month, they’ll multiply, and multiply, and multiply. And not one of them will vote Republican.

ObamaCare: It’s all about political power.
We have been had !

17 . January 13, 2014 at 1:53 PM

What a surprise – it’s now a horse race to see who can suck up to the voters quicker……Bonilla or DeSaulnier.Let’s see if we can kick BOTH of them to the curb.

And he has done LESS than many know – just toe the party line and the DNC will kick in $$$ to get you re-elected. Maybe he’ll have to get a REAL job now.

Start thinking instead of voting lockstep with the party.

18 Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 2:00 PM

Bonilla is dancing on Millers grave. She is running. Problem will be the Denocratic Central Committe which is nervous about commercials re her vote to allow boys into girls bathrooms in public schools.

19 ClayDen January 13, 2014 at 2:43 PM

One Socialist commenting on the retirement of another Socialist. WASS.

20 ClayDen January 13, 2014 at 2:46 PM

@ Anonymous 16

But the government only wants to help you. Remember, if you like your plan, you can keep your plan.

21 Yhe Phantom January 13, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Anonymous

“When humankind was first assembled as tribes, there were two kinds of people. Some worried at meals, if they would get their fair share. Others worried that someone might not get a share, and they saw to it that they did.” – the фантом

“Then there were those who would snatch away someone else’s share…”

By the way, it appears that most of the people getting food stamps, free medical, and may benefit from ObamaCare do not even register to vote.

It’s not the vote gathering technique you suppose…stay in engineering…you don’t understand politics…and marry your girl friend so she can be on your policy.

She’s the person we built ObamaCare to serve. Who is looking out for her…you?

Actually you are, so quit whining about it!

“A hundred years from now, our descendants will still have a strong American government, and an Internal Revenue to collect taxes to maintain social programs that we fought for in the 1930’s, the 1960’s, and the 2010’s. They will live with Civil Rights, Social Security, and ObamaCare…though they will not remember us, they will remember the word Obama and no longer realize it was the last name of the first black President of the United States…there will have been others…and it will not matter anymore.” – Yhe фантом

22 Jim January 13, 2014 at 2:52 PM

She hasn’t a chance…unless she tries to bring up the bullet ttrain which she also supported…one of these Bozos will get elected and we will see more of the George Miller Democratic line…like it matters…which is the less of the 2 eveils?

23 . January 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Well, it looks like DeSaulnier beat Bonilla to the gate.

Time to kick ‘em both to the curb. I’m voting/supporting their opponents….whoever they are.

24 Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Thanks Mad mom, for talking out of your hat(again)

25 Anonymous January 13, 2014 at 3:27 PM

None of this makes any difference. The big shots in the Democratic Central Committe will decide who gets the job. It will be left for the voters to ratify their decision. All the posters ((except DeSaulniers interns who are on overtime working the blogs) will have any say in the matter. Of course it makes no difference because the Republicans run the House and our representative will have only a bully pulpit.

BART union will keep quiet until this shakes out.

26 Anon January 13, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Will she too, belly up to the trough? Onk, onk!

27 The Authority January 14, 2014 at 4:42 AM

Suzie: GO BACK TO THE PRIVATE SECTOR AND LIVE UNDER THE LAWS YOU MADE FOR THE REST OF US!

28 Akita_Luv January 14, 2014 at 6:41 AM

Aren’t there any conservatives or moderates in our voting districts? I am so tired of the liberals having us follow them like sheep. Next, the middle class will be pushed off the edge of a cliff. As my Vietnamese friend said, “If she new that the US was becoming a socialist state, she would have said in Vietnam.

29 Oh Great January 14, 2014 at 9:49 AM

There have not really been any Democrat contenders to Miller. The last Republican to run was Virginia Fuller. I have had the pleasure of meeting her a few times. The first time at the Concord Senior Center, she introduced herself and handed me a copy of the Declaration of Independence and Constitution with her business card attached. I would vote for her again.

30 Reality check January 14, 2014 at 11:52 AM

You guys love to complain. Wake up people and look at the bigger picture. I’m sure he has done a lot of good, Just like I’m sure no one in politics is perfect and it’s always going to have a piece of the pie. But look at the bigger picture! People need help. Our help. Period. Immigrants or not, we are here to help each other. Family member or not. What’s your purpose if you don’t? Most people have engulfed themselves in their little make believe materialistic lives that they forget we will all (if lucky) grow old and need help at one point or another. So get your precious money and travel. Get an idea of how people live in other countries and why we are number one. I guarantee you will all learn how to appreciate what we have. Hospitals, cops, freeways… So what if we have to pay for it. Nothing is free. But at least we have it people!!! Bunch of self entitled old brats acting worse than kids. We have to fix the problem now while we still can and that starts with your attitudes! Happy new year!