Column: The Garden Girl – Evergreens

January 12, 2014 14:00 pm · 7 comments

flower

Campanula poscharskyana has a very long, mouthful of a name. But, its awesome in any Claycord garden or landscape. When describing this evergreen to a potential planter I always call it ”campanula p-word”. With a name this long you might just scare the planter away if you tell them the whole botanical name.

Campanula poscharskyana is a tough evergreen perennial with purple flowers shaped like stars. During the spring and summer piles of purple flowers cover this evergreen’s deep green scallop-shaped foliage. Campanula poscharskyana thrives in full sun with regular water, or morning sun with occasional water.

A great attribute of this campanula is how it grows. It creates mounds of green foliage that hugs the soil. This campanula is great surrounding stepping-stones and bases of birdbaths and fountains. As it matures, the campanula takes on a look that you may expect from moss. However, unlike moss, the Campanula isn’t picky about where it’s planted or how it’s treated. It pretty much is happy wherever it’s installed.

Campanula poscharskyana is best planted from 4” pots or 1-gallon containers. You may find this evergreen perennial in smaller packages, but you have a higher risk of failure when transplants are too small.

Campanula poscharskyana roots as it goes. Shallow roots crawls along the soil. This evergreen does much better when planted where it is watered by sprinklers or hand watered, rather than watered by drip system. Drip system irrigation is too isolated of a watering, and the Campanula’s roots won’t spread.

When installing Campanula poscharskyana, give this evergreen the best start you can by planting with a premium soil conditioner or planter mix. If you are planting a 1-gallon container of this evergreen, consider splitting the root-ball to create 2 plants. Splitting campanula is easy. First remove the plant from the plastic container. Then you can use your hands and gently tear from the foliage in to the soil and pull vertically apart into two separate pieces. Or if you’d rather cut the plant right in half from the top where the foliage is, down through the root to the bottom of the roots.

Campanula poscharskyana is a must have in any Claycord garden or landscape.

Happy Gardening.

Nicole Hackett is the Garden Girl at R&M Pool, Patio and Gardens, located at 6780 Marsh Creek Road in Clayton, 925-672-0207.

Nicole writes for the Clayton Pioneer Newspaper, and Claycord.com. She is also the Clayton Valley Garden Club 2012 President.

1 Danielle January 12, 2014 at 2:04 PM

We have these ( I can’t pronounce them either) in our yard. They’re very pretty.

I love gardening, and always look forward to Garden Girl’s tips!

2 Incognito January 12, 2014 at 2:29 PM

My garden and pots are loaded with these lovely flowers!

3 Dorothy January 12, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Got to add these to my list of “I want.” I have a morning sun spot that needs it.

4 Mark January 12, 2014 at 4:39 PM

That would make a nice ground cover. Do you know if it would spread out if I planted a few little patches?

5 Beverly January 13, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Love you coloums. My question is, now that we are heading into a drought, I need to know what and when to water. I have a dying lawn, I dont care about that. I also have several trees that, only a few years old. We had trees die, and have replaced them. Most of my yard is drought tolerant. The plants are from the list that CC Water Dist puts out. Still I am very concerned about my trees. Also I have had a raised bed for veggie garden. What can I do about that ?
Thanks for your time

6 Garden Girl January 13, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Hi Beverly.
Our water issues is a concern for all garden and landscape lovers. It is good that you have existing drought friendly plants. Plants never need as much water as a lawn.
Having to give extra water to new tree installations isn’t a big deal. Depending on the varieties of trees you could get away with a weekly deep root watering.
Consider all the water we waste at home. We waste water waiting for the shower to heat, while we was dishes… Capture that water. Haul it outside and spot water your trees.
In my column in this Fridays edition of the Clayton Pioneer I talk about watering, conserving and tips for amending vegetable beds so they need less watering. The Clayton Pioneer can be read online if you get one in the mail.

Thank you for the question.
Nicole

7 Garden Girl January 13, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Correction
I ment to say if you don’t get one in the mail.