EXCLUSIVE: The History of the Home with the Fatal Fire on Friday in Walnut Creek

January 11, 2014 5:17 am · 21 comments

craig

As we reported on Friday night, a home suffered major damage during a fire on Hilltop Crescent in Walnut Creek, and an unidentified person was found dead inside the house after the blaze was extinguished.

Multiple sources, including the Contra Costa County Fire Protection District have told Claycord.com the home that burned was located at 190 Hilltop Crescent.

190 Hilltop Crescent has some interesting, and deadly history.

The home is owned by a lady named Annie Dalsey. Annie is the widow of DHL Worldwide Express co-founder Adrian Dalsey, and the mother of Harry Dalsey.

In 1999 Harry Dalsey was arrested at 190 Hilltop Crescent for the shooting death of his mom’s new boyfriend, 60-year-old Guy Broomfield, who happens to be the brother of film-star Shirley Ann Field.

Harry was apparently sentenced to only three years in jail after plea bargining the charge from second degree murder to involuntary manslaughter for the shooting death of Broomfield, according to an article on The Free Library.

The cause of Friday night’s fire is still under investigation, and the identity of the person found dead inside the home hasn’t been released.

photo credit: Craig Cannon – for use only on Claycord.com

1 Veronica January 11, 2014 at 5:53 AM

It’s hard to imagine the intensity of trauma this family has endured. Let’s pray for peace for all those involved.

2 Brian January 11, 2014 at 5:58 AM

Very interesting…

3 Sharkmaster January 11, 2014 at 7:43 AM

I want to thank the county fire and sheriff for keeping this fire contained to the one house with all the dry weather and tinder up in our usually quiet and close knit neighborhood

4 SpehlCzech January 11, 2014 at 7:48 AM

@ Veronica

“t’s hard to imagine the intensity of trauma this family has endured. Let’s pray for peace for all those involved.”

This is the best comment I have ever read on Claycord.
I have prayed for them as you suggested.

Thank you for spreading some compassion.

5 Jim January 11, 2014 at 7:59 AM

I want to thank Contra Costa County Fire and Sheriff for containing the fire and they area to just one house and keeping our normally quiet neighborhood under control

6 More info? January 11, 2014 at 8:09 AM

KTVU just reported that neighbors say the couple that lived there are very sweet people that took in dogs and people with no place to live.

Then again KTVU has been making a lot of erroneous reports of information in recent months so who knows if that is true.

7 J. January 11, 2014 at 8:30 AM

On 25 September, 1969, Adrian Dalsey, Larry Hillblom and Robert Lynn (the D, H and L in the DHL company name) incorporate DHL. The company begins by operating a door-to-door express delivery service, transporting documents only between San Francisco, California and Honolulu, Hawaii.

That home at 190 Hillcrest Crescent looks fairly modest for a shipping heir’s estate.

I hope the deceased was not dead before the fire started, or this case could take a very curious turn.

R.I.P. unknown person.

8 @ J January 11, 2014 at 9:24 AM

I for one hope the deceased died from smoke inhalation and not immolation. What a tough way to . If you meant to say I hope the were not murdered than I agree.

9 It's All an Act January 11, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Sad story with a twist, but what’s with the reference to some unknown third-rate actress? Are you a “film-star” just because you acted in some obscure films no one’s ever heard of?

10 Craig Cannon January 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM

I Heard of Police Domestic Calls at This or a Similar Address on This Street. One as Soon as This Week. I’m Almost Sure it’s Here, but it’d be a False Accusation if I Said Absolutely. Anyway, This Is an Interesting Conclusion. If so. I Will Say With Certainty, The Sheriffs Office Had The Area Taped Off, Were Denying Access to Myself and CBS 5, Although Neighbors Were Walking Under The Tape Freely. What In Saying is Police Agencies Can’t deny Access to Media To a Disaster Scene, By Law Penal Code 409.5. Unless it is Deemed a “Crime Scene”. We were Denied Access. What’s That Tell You? They Must Have a Crime? I Doubt it was a Power Thing. Interesting Fact. That Area of Walnut Creek, Just Above 680 and BART, is Co Co Sheriff Jurisdiction. Seems So Close To Walnut Creek Proper. More May Follow On This. Overall, a Man Lost His Life Sadly. In a Horrific Way. Prayers, Not Assumptions I Suppose Would’ve Been Better….

11 @Craig Cannon...what about the neighbors? January 11, 2014 at 5:13 PM

If it were a crime scene, shouldn’t the neighbors be kept out, too?

12 ANNONeeemoose January 11, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I had to look up immolation. Yikes. Yuck. How awful! That would not be murder though. More like suicide right?

13 @12 January 11, 2014 at 10:37 PM

You’re thinking of self-immolation. Though I must admit, that’s the only way I’ve ever heard that word used.

14 Silva January 12, 2014 at 10:21 AM

J. #7, some people might be surprised to know that not all of the well to do live an ostintatious lifestyle. Many live in modest homes, drive average cars, and you’d never know by looking at them that they were very wealthy. They live more comfortably, perhaps than average joe and have less stress as far as meeting day to day expenses, but they still live a normal life. I don’t think being wealthy doesn’t also come with a lot of stress, but some folks aren’t affected by it as much as others.

15 @@12 January 12, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Merriam-Webster
im·mo·late transitive verb \ˈi-mə-ˌlāt\
: to kill or destroy (someone or something) by fire

16 J. January 12, 2014 at 7:41 PM

@Silva #14
The paper calls 190 Hillcrest Crescent a “mansion”

From the Google map photo, the Craig Cannon photo, and the Zillow report it looks very plain and spartan.

17 Molly G January 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Adrian Dalsey died in 1994. He did start DHL in 1969 Alongside two others. The house at 190 Hiltop is by no means a mansion. It was Adrians home and although he got several million for his shares from DHL he loved that home and lived modestly.
Annie Dalsey was Adrian Dalsey’s second wife. She has lived in the house since Adrian’s Death.

18 gene January 17, 2014 at 4:06 PM

I find it very ineresting that the past keeps coming up ? Please tell me how those out there want to bring up old wounds and reopen them to cause more hurt in someone’s life .This a sad thing that has happeened ,so maybe some of you should leave the past where it belongs .Pray for the family and all others in need of campassion without the added bringing up the past .Please think before you write.

19 Cowellian January 17, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Gene, this is a discussion site. We talk about things that happen in the area. You’re not a regular here, so you must have come here looking for something. Don’t complain to us about what you’ve found.

20 Grand Mal January 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM

So anybody know where little Harry is now?

21 Silva January 17, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Gene, I don’t even know WTF you’re talking about.