UPDATE: Two Unrelated Shootings in Concord on Friday

January 10, 2014 21:47 pm · 39 comments

shooting2

Two people were injured, one critically, during unrelated shootings in Concord on Friday.

The following update comes from Lt. David Hughes with the Concord Police Department:

This evening at about 6:00 PM, Concord Officers responded to the Wendy’s restaurant at 1551 Monument Bl. regarding the report of a shooting. Upon arrival, Officers located an adult male gunshot victim in the parking lot. The male victim was subsequently ground transported to a local hospital for emergency medical treatment with life-threatening injuries. The preliminary investigation established that the victim was involved in a physical confrontation with several unidentified male suspects inside the restaurant. When the victim exited the restaurant he was shot by one of the suspects. Concord Police Detectives were called out and they have assumed the investigation, which is active and on-going.

Since this is an on-going investigation, no additional details will be released at this time.

Earlier in the afternoon today, there was a prior shooting incident in North Concord resulting in minor injury to a victim. This case is also under active investigation, however, at this time there is no evidence or indication that the two shooting incidents are related.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call CPD Detective Adam Hart at (925) 671-3040. Anyone wishing to remain anonymous can call the Concord Police Department Tip-line at (925) 603-5836.

RELATED STORIES:

{ 39 comments }

1 Voted for Bush January 11, 2014 at 3:28 AM

Concord is the new Oakland. People of Concord are a product of their environment. That says a lot just look at the poverty level and amount of section 8 housing. Need I say more?

2 Concord Mike January 11, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Concord still has lower crime rates than the state and national average.

That said, there is a risk of things getting worse if we continue to elect and re-elect soft on crime politicians at the local and state level.

3 Incognito January 11, 2014 at 8:03 AM

@Voted for Bush #1
It’s all very sad, isn’t it? My husband was born and raised in a good family in Concord and has lived here his entire life. Still lives in the house he grew up in for over 40 years now. I’ve lived in the Claycord area for 30 years, although I am not a native Californian. My husband and I discuss the changes we have seen over the years, some good, many bad. I guess if you invite trash (with Section 8 housing) then you get trash. And that is truly a shame because you don’t have to be trash just because you are at poverty level.

I believe this all goes back to the quality of people we have in our world today, or should I say, lack of quality people. No self-respect, manners, morals, couth, and no respect for others. We see it every day with how people look and dress, and the list goes on. Yes, I guess I am old-fashioned, but damn proud of it. And there you have it – it starts with self-pride.

4 Horse'n Around January 11, 2014 at 8:37 AM

@ Incognito. I’m 45 and have lived in Concord all my life. Most of all of my family is from here. We also have talked how times have changed. No one holds the door open for anyone any more, no one say’s please, thank you. Cashiers no longer talk to you, they seem to want to talk about each other, and how bad their other co workers are. People don’t look out for each other anymore. They put the blame on everyone else but themselves. e.g. They blame the teacher for their child’s bad grades, or the school for the way their child acts. They blame the police for giving them a ticket, instead of admitting they were speeding and just paying the fine. The list goes on… Anyway, I agree. I am old fashioned also, and I raise my kids to hold the door open for the person coming in, say please, thank you and have self respect for themselves, and respect others. The world would be a happier place if people thought of others besides their own damn selves!

5 Concord isn't bad January 11, 2014 at 8:40 AM

Crime in concord hasn’t been this bad for awhile. I love concord PD!!! Keep doing your best!!!l leave concord alone. It’s not the new Oakland.

6 Concord Grape January 11, 2014 at 10:19 AM

@Horse’n Around
and I am willig to wager that you salute the flag and take your hat off when you hear the National Anthem. I sure am glad that there at least a few of us that have our heads screwed on right. I applaud you.

7 Well......... January 11, 2014 at 10:52 AM

What a dump concord is you couldn’t pay me enough to live in that S Whole

8 Horse'n Around January 11, 2014 at 10:53 AM

@ Concord Grape actually I do. Thank you!

9 WC Resident January 11, 2014 at 12:44 PM

These people have nothing to do with Concord!! People can be terrible anywhere. Concord is not going to dogs.. It is the kids that do not have a two parent family or kids that are neglected. I am so sorry that incidents
like this that are rare would immediately give a city a name like dump etc.
So can be good old Walnut Creek or even Orinda! We should be supportive of our cities and especially the services like the police. Lets think now.. Richmond has turned around. What is different. I know some of you will say yes because they all moved over here. Not true and that is really a slap in the face for a community that is fixing their problems. I sure wish all of you that are quick to use your back and white thinking, would train your negative knee jerk reactions into more helpful ideas!!

10 eric January 11, 2014 at 12:52 PM

@ Voted For Bush (1) & Well…..(#7) and all the other posters (on other Claycord stories too) that are bashing Concord and calling it the new Oakland. First of all, you are idiots because Concord’s’
crime stats and the murder rate are nowhere even close to being in Oakland’s range. But, my question is, what exactly do you accomplish with the bashing? Does it make you feel better because you live somewhere you feel is more elite? I grew up in Concord and have lived many other places but I got married and bought our first home in Concord and am raising my kids here. It’s not perfect but no city is and I care enough to try and do what I can to make it better in any way that I can. I walk around my neighborhood with my family and talk to as many neighbors as I can. I do what I can to keep my neighborhood safe and I look out for my neighbors. I just feel that is a much more responsible and honorable response than to bash other cities or towns for their problems. It just seems like you have an unhappy life and you get a happy feeling hiding behind your computers and talking trash about another city. Perhaps you should just get a life.

11 @ Well......... January 11, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Don’t see anyone inviting you to live in Concord either. So the feeling is mutual, stay the h@ll away.

12 Incognito January 11, 2014 at 1:38 PM

@Horse’n Around & Concord Grape
Glad to see there are some good old-fashioned people with good upbringings still around. Hope is a good thing.

13 Incognito January 11, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Concord isn’t the only city with its share of crime, poverty, etc., it exists everywhere. Those who think Danville, Walnut Creek, Clayton, or wherever, are without their issues need to set outside their box. I grew up in a very small town in New England and my parents have told me even in Small Town, USA, times are a changing….

14 barn January 11, 2014 at 2:38 PM

start drug testing section 8 and welfare recipients and crime will go away

15 Toni January 11, 2014 at 2:53 PM

@ Well, your lack of punctuation and spelling skills aren’t indicative of someone who attended schools in a more elite school district. I would be interested in what more safe and secure area in which you purport to live. In the interim, take a break from making inane comments and learn to spell, use punctuation and write a succinct and concise sentence.

16 Anon January 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

@ Eric- well said and very true.

17 See Jane January 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I am with Incognito and Horse’n Around. A little bit of civility and self-respect goes a long way. God bless the victims of these heinous crimes.

18 Kirk January 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM

@7 well, POS libs like you are expecting to get paid for living somewhere. Paid for being you, no industry, just artistic prostate massaging artistic communities.

That’s the problem.

19 Walnut Creek Educated Resident January 11, 2014 at 6:07 PM

#16 Puff Puff!!! People do not have to meet your educated standards to get their point across!! I am sick of having to worry about pleasing the punctuation and spelling police! There.. did I pass the test.. am I good enough for you? puff.. puff … I say!!

20 Yhe Phantom January 11, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Mythbusters 101

“Section 8 of the Housing Act of 1937 (42 U.S.C. § 1437f), often simply known as Section 8, as repeatedly amended, authorizes the payment of rental housing assistance to private landlords on behalf of approximately 3.1 million low-income households in the United States.

“It operates through several programs, the largest of which, the Housing Choice Voucher program, pays a large portion of the rents and utilities of about 2.1 million households. The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development manages the Section 8 programs.[1]

The number of US household is 115,000,000 divided by 3,100,000 gives 2.6% households using Sec. 8 housing assistance.

Concord has 44,278 households times 2.6% gives 1,151 using the benefit. Perhaps 3,000 of 122,067 give 2.5% in Sec. 8 Housing, which is a means-tested program that requires re-qualification periodically.

Short Study:

Complaints against Sec 8 Housing assistance associated with crime are without merit. Claiming heavy use in Concord is ignorant and stupid rumor, probably touted by certain CONSERVATIVE sources.

Concord (/ˈkɒŋkərd/ KON-kərd; formerly Todos Santos[7]) is the largest city in Contra Costa County, California, in the United States.

“To the north and east of downtown is the older residential area of Concord, with many homes dating back to before World War II. In the far northern edge of town is a primarily industrial area, dominated by the Tesoro Golden Eagle Refinery (which is actually not located within city limits).

“The southeastern area of the city, centered along Clayton Road, is primarily residential and was mostly developed in the 1960s and 1970s. In the southwest area of the city is the primarily Latino neighborhood known as Four Corners, centered around the intersection of Monument Boulevard and Oak Grove Road.

- Concord is eleven times larger than Clayton, twice as large as Walnut Creek, three times larger than Pleasant Hill and three times larger than Mega-Danville.

It is a precious first city of Nueva California together with San Diego, Los Angeles, and San Jose. Each has a significant Latino downtown identity dating to the 18th Century.

The economic base of consumers drives the economies of the surrounding cities and Towns. Typically, residents commute to urban cities on BART and others provide the staff requirements to the health care industry, the largest employer before government, followed by small business.

21 Steve January 11, 2014 at 10:10 PM

We live in Orinda, and I’ve never been poor. I think people on Section 8 housing have a lot of common sense. The way I understand it (and perhaps I’m wrong), is with Section 8 housing you can live in a decent place and neighborhood, and only pay a portion (1/3) of the rent.

If you’re “on your own” you pay 100% of everything, and live in a much worse home and neighborhood.

If I was on poor, I’d go with Section 8. Why wouldn’t I?

I understand people get angry when Section 8 people come to town, and I understand why.

I have no idea if there is any Section 8 housing in my town, or any other town I’ve ever lived in. But I understand why they “seek assistance.” It’s guaranteed payment to the landlords as well.

Keep in mind there are poor people with values. Not everyone on Section 8 housing is breaking the law.

If Section 8 housing bothers you that much, perhaps you can further your education and live in a town where it doesn’t exist.

22 Angelica January 11, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I heard about these shootings on the news last night. I hope they both survive.

@ Steve—21

Quite the positive spin on Section 8 housing! Everything you said makes sense, especially the last paragraph…..

23 ML January 12, 2014 at 4:22 AM

@Steve I’m super happy to read your comment after all the ignorant ranting about section 8 residents.

There are people who live in this world that have all the proper values, moral outlook, and “good upbringing”, it doesn’t mean they all have money. Sometimes life doesn’t always work out for people, in many cases people who have worked their whole lives. I live in Walnut Creek, born and raised. I have the good fortune to have a roof over my head, but would not be considered in the same wealth range as most of my neighbors. This has never lead me to shoot anyone. Being poor doesn’t equal trash, and poor these days can mean $2 less an hour. The East Bay isn’t what it used to be. This was a place people could escape the high price of the city.

As far as I know this story is about two shooting victims, and a place where people with information on the crimes can possibly help find the people that did the shooting. But instead its full of ignorant B*sh*t about poor people making Concord what it is today.

A community is exactly that, all people sharing in the responsibility of making it a good or bad place to live. If its really that bad, all of you “good moral value” people out there need to think what they’ve done to make it a better place to live other then make more money then their “trash” section 8 housing neighbors.

24 Toni January 12, 2014 at 7:26 AM

@ Walnut Creek Educated Resident…just to be clear…the point of my comment was to call out the attitude of superiority that “Well” manifested. “Well” is so much smarter than the folks who love in Concord, but the lack of spelling and punctuation skills belie the lack of academic smarts. “S Whole…?” Seriously, WC Educated Resident?? Just what does “Well” mean? Do tell. And, for the record, I live in Concord with my husband, who is a teacher, and some of my kids live in Concord, who all have degrees, and are professionals. It isn’t just a bunch of buffoons that live here…but, regardless, being a good citizen doesn’t mean that you need a college degree, or a great job, but it does mean that you should be able to conduct yourself in a law-abiding way, and to be considerate of your neighbors, etc. You can be a decent person even if you don’t live in an upscale neighborhood. I stand by my original comment.

25 Walnut Creek Resident January 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM

#24 Get off your high horse…

26 @eric January 12, 2014 at 10:39 AM

You’re right, they should just ignore the obvious and not talk about it out of respect. Pretending that everything’s OK with fix the problem.

Phantom, thanks for clogging up the screen with useless cut and paste that wasn’t even relevant to the actual discussion, as usual. If you don’t believe Section 8 contributes to crime, go to a city that maps their crime publicly on the internet, like Oakland. Look at all the little electronic push-pins piled up on, and around, the Section 8 housing locations.

27 Walnut Creek Resident January 12, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Who is pretending everything is OK.? I think people are working on the problem. Section 8 is here to stay and people need it. Try not to worry about Section 8.. I think you need to think about how you can help our community instead of pointing fingers and being critical of others who give us an education about Section 8 and crime. That is what I am going to do. I am going to help people in need for a change.

28 Yhe Phantom January 12, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Eric
Short Study:

Sec 8 use is extremely exaggerated and only affects less than 3% of the housing units, which are likely apartment rentals.

Sec 8 Housing is not nearly as wide spread as Reagan Republicans would have you believe. It’s an extension of the “Welfare Queen” myth..

29 Yhe Phantom January 12, 2014 at 1:18 PM

@eric

There are 400 Sec. 8 Housing users in Mega-Danville.

The Town of Danville[7] is located in the San Ramon Valley in Contra Costa County, California. It is one of the incorporated municipalities in California that uses “town” in its name instead of “city”. The population was 42,039 in 2010. According to Businessweek, Danville is the 41st most expensive zip code in America.[8] Danville is one of California’s top 25 wealthiest cities, and one of the wealthiest suburbs of Oakland and San Francisco.[9] Danville is home to some of the most expensive real estate and exclusive country clubs in the nation.

There were 15,420 households, out of which 6,034 (39.1%) had children under the age of 18 living in them, 10,389 (67.4%) were opposite-sex married couples living together, 1,140 (7.4%) had a female householder with no husband present, 449 (2.9%) had a male householder with no wife present. There were 452 (2.9%) unmarried opposite-sex partnerships, and 84 (0.5%) same-sex married couples or partnerships. 2,801 households (18.2%) were made up of individuals and 1,365 (8.9%) had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.71. There were 11,978 families (77.7% of all households); the average family size was 3.10.

- There are about 400 Sec. 8 housing units in Danville.
- There are about 1,150 Sec. 8 housing units in Concord.

Crime rate irrelevant to Sec. 8

30 Sheila January 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM

Danville has Section 8 housing? 1/3 of Concord? Wow!

I guess Steve’s argument on another thread about “if he was poor he’d go with Section 8 and live in a nicer area” makes a lot of sense. Not that people in Orinda worry about being poor.

He said he had no idea if there was Section 8 in Orinda. I thought he was trying to be funny. Maybe he was serious.

Must be nice to be on Section 8 and live in an affluent suburb!

31 Danielle January 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM

My husband and I live in Orinda. I have no idea if there is Section 8 housing in our town, but if there is, it wouldn’t bother me.

I find it easier to focus on my own life, and not worry about other people’s income. Or their ethnic backround, etc.

It’s against my better judgment.

32 Incognito January 12, 2014 at 3:22 PM

I hate to disappoint some of you, but there are people living in places, such as Orinda, who are living way beyond their means. Things are not always what they appear.

33 Miguel January 12, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Section 8 in Danville or Orinda?

Hey, if you can milk the system, go for it. Who knows, it might motivate you to keep up with the Jones’s. Next thing you know, you might be making that money yourself.

Poor people living in an affluent suburb sounds rather odd, but if they’re doing it to send their kids to better schools, good for them.

34 Mitch January 12, 2014 at 8:13 PM

How did we go from 2 unrelated shootings in Concord to Section 8 in Danville or Orinda?

I think my next door neighbors in Lafayette are Section 8. I think I’ll ask him next time I run into him at the Country Club.

He’s a better golfer. And I’m living probably living beyond my means.

35 Rick January 12, 2014 at 9:18 PM

What’s up with the Section 8 obsession?

We have 3 kids in college. I could use a mortgage deduction.

36 T January 14, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Bunch of dumb kids think they’re gangsters and that’s why there are shootings in Concord.

37 S January 15, 2014 at 12:58 AM

Are there any updates on these victims? Who cares about section 8? My only concern is this: how are the victims?

38 Darlene January 16, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Heartfelt” Thank You” to everyone that prayed for me. My name is Darlene and I’m the gunshot to the head victim of last Fridays drive-by in Concord. I REALLY want to sincerely thank all of you for your concern. It so touched my heart that all of you cared so much without knowing who I am. FYI…I have about 10 staples holding my head back together and of course lots of headaches!! Dr. Said 1/4 ” to 1/2 ” lower and I would have taken my last breathe.I owe the angel that was on my shoulder more than I could ever repay and I hope he/she is unharmed. I’m still in some shock that this happened. I was cleaning out my Car
which is a Mini-Van (sitting inside) and the next thing I know is blood is everywhere and my head hurts really bad….Thank God that the hospital was so close because I really don’t think…well, you know. ITS REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME, to tell all of you ….”from all of my heart , Thank You for all of your prayers”.

Sincerely,
Darlene

39 S January 19, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Darlene, so glad to hear you are on the mend! We have some incredibly talented and amazing doctors in this area!