BART’s New “Fleet of the Future” Design

January 10, 2014 · 32 comments

bart3

bart1

bart2

BART riders are not only helping to pay for new train cars, they are helping to design BART‘s Fleet of the Future as well. BART staff today presented the latest design elements to the Board of Directors. Many of the new features displayed in the summer 2013 train car model, including digital screens and more handholds to grab onto, were given thumbs up by the public, according to BART.

The following information is from BART:

In addition, feedback from seat labs held in October and November 2013 showed a majority of riders liked the new, easier to clean material, lumbar support and medium density silicone cushions planned for the seats. However, seat lab participants voted against one element tested—the middle armrest on train seats—so BART will not include them on the final design.

Over 17,000 people have provided input to the new design so far, BART Board President Joel Keller said.

“In April we‘ll have a final model for the public to experience. It will include all the features that scored well with those who took part in last year‘s public outreach process”, Keller said.

BART also worked closely with the ADA community to improve the rider experience for the hearing, vision or mobility impaired riders. The new cars will have interior and exterior digital displays, an automated announcement system, floor markings for wheelchair areas and intercoms located near doors.

The door technology will result in a quieter ride because BART plan to use with microplug doors to help seal out noise, BART Chief Marketing Officer Aaron Weinstein said.

The cars will also be cooler because the cooling system is designed to vent air from the ceiling on hot days, making riding more comfortable for standees.

BART has set a goal to increase the fleet size from 669 to 1000 cars to relieve crowding. The final model is coming to the Bay Area in 2014 – dates and locations are still to be decided. To be invited to see the model, sign up for project alerts.

1 Dorothy January 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM

I see more standing room and less seats. Remember way back in the day that BART said the trains would run so often that everyone would have a seat? Just another BART pie in the sky promise.

2 Suzanne January 10, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Wonderful design! I wonder what the “future” cost will be to ride bart.

3 Mitch January 10, 2014 at 2:46 PM

They’re going to need more cars with the limited seating.

I stand on BART daily, from Lafayette to the Financial District in SF, and it doesn’t bother me.

What about the ladies in heels?

4 Anon January 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Helping design the new cars, my a$$! Why are there fewer seats then?

5 Kelly January 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM

When I ride BART, it’s always crowded. I hate standing in my heels, but usually a nice gentleman will give me a seat.

6 The Grant January 10, 2014 at 3:04 PM

I like the arm rests. Help keep the fatties from encroaching into other people’s seats.

More standing room is just fine.

I stand 70% of the time from P-Hill to the FiDi, no problem. When you get to work, majority of people will be sitting all day anyway.

7 Union$ January 10, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I understand the union wants to re-negotiate for higher pay to clean the silicon padded seats…..and a new job classification is being created to clean the the handholds. We’re getting screwed, $10 bucks round trip, SF to WC/Concord.

8 Mr. Joshua January 10, 2014 at 3:30 PM

What, no photos of the cockpit? Surely those are also redesigned for the operator in mind…you know, the platform next to the autopilot computer system where they kick back and rest their feet at eye level. And the super big gulp cup holders, the microphone encryption device that thoroughly scrambles the “next stop” announcement, and the frame they hang a copy of their GED in…heaven forbid those who make six figures be required a college diploma or even a high school diploma. And don’t forget the soundproofing…those Bart operators are laughing their asses off after this contract all the way to the bank.

And we paid for this…kiss my ass Bart-I’m done riding your train o’ mismanagement.

9 Average Claycordian January 10, 2014 at 3:36 PM

The armrests would deter homeless people from sleeping on cars. Saturday morning trips to the airport look like a homeless shelter these days.

10 Chris January 10, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Wow. The front of it actually looks like the head of Bart Simpson. They should work with that. .,

11 Chris January 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM

What some stations really need is bathrooms I hate to say.

12 wc44 January 10, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Looks like a lot fewer seats, bummer, you hardly ever get a seat now.
Bummer about the arm rests. More fatties spilling onto your side and more bums laying out.

13 Trains January 10, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Are these cars American and hopefully union made?

14 Concord Mike January 10, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Not enough seats, and what is with the nooses hanging from the ceiling?

Looks like a high tech torture chamber to me.

15 Sacto Rob January 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM

In my lifetime we’ve gone from “crippled,” to “disabled” and now “members of the ADA community.” So what exactly was wrong with the term “disabled?”
But why use just one word when four words and an acronym say exactly the same thing?

16 Not a fan of SRO January 10, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Not a fan of sardine can’s either, no matter how nice they make look now. After a few trips those cars will look just like the NY subway. What an aspiration.

17 DOMI January 10, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Those are are and feet hangers Concord Mike.

18 Outta here January 10, 2014 at 4:25 PM

more crap!

19 DOMI January 10, 2014 at 4:27 PM

thats “hand and feet” hangers.

20 bart train January 10, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I like standing on bart. I usually let those ignorant folk push past as they make their way to the door I’ll just ride as I always do, I think the bart management is on to something with this design. The color schematic is terrible–I hope they can keep them cleaner than the seats now.

21 eric January 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I see a bunch of people rushing for seats and nobody giving any seats up for the elderly.

22 H January 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

An automated announcement system? So even less for those overpaid train drivers to do? Perfect.

23 Ted K., SuperMax January 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM

I predict another bail-out bond measure coming on. And tax-paying property owners are gonna get royally reamed up the ying-yang.

24 Silva January 10, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Chris #11; When BART first opened and for many years afterward the public wasn’t permitted inside the bathrooms! I found out when I had to go and asked the Station Agent why the bathroom was locked. The bathrooms were designed only for employees!

25 Ranger January 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM

The color scheme sucks. That lime green
is too trendy and will “date” the design in short
order. In fact, it’s been out of style now for a
few years … probably the time that passed
from when they decided to use it and when the
plans and drawings were done. I’d prefer to
see all the seats the same blue color. I also
strongly dislike that blue junk on the front
exterior. The exterior design is clunky.

26 hmmm. January 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM

So that’s why Bart stations smell like urine.

27 Mustang Sally January 11, 2014 at 1:13 PM

So, with so many seats missing, they may be able to cram in so many more standers up that they could run fewer and shorter trains! Looking forward to the future, BART!!

28 Frontline January 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM

The main reason for less seats is they made room on the cars for Bikes. Remember two of the Board of Directors have the Bike coalitions in their back pockets. Bike riding groups make the biggest stink at BART. So therefore they get more space on new trains and less seats.

The restrooms were closed after 9/11 for safety reasons. BART frontline employees would LOVE to have the bathrooms reopened. We push for it all the time. Right now people use the stairwells, platforms and trains as a restroom.

29 Suzanne January 11, 2014 at 2:59 PM

ok, Frontline, but with the new design They probably will allow for more bikes, which leaves less standing room for passengers. You would think, more seats would be beneficial in the long run.

30 Frontline January 11, 2014 at 4:33 PM

@Suzanne I completely agree with you!! We get complaints all day long about Bikes hitting people, blocking doors, on the escalators etc. I think Bikes should only be during certain hours unless they are folding. 99% of the frontline workers feel this way. Even though the Board of Directors put out a notice last year the we agree with them allowing bikes on all the time. That was not true at all. I think it makes an extreme safety hazard on full trains. The commute trains are already to full and then add bikes it’s a total mess.

31 . January 12, 2014 at 6:37 PM

As far as rudeness, I think the bike riders top the station agents.

32 Miguel January 12, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Men don’t mind standing, but the last thing ladies in heels want to do is stand on the train after a long day at the office.

Having less seats is illogical.

More room for bikes? I thought BART was designed as a commuter train.

Bike riders, buy a car!