Five Broken Windows at the Lime Ridge Open Space Lot on Montecito in Concord

January 9, 2014 · 145 comments

lime_ridge_open_space_montecito

This picture was sent to us on Thursday morning by a Claycordian who counted five broken windows in the parking lot of Lime Ridge Open Space on Montecito Dr. in Concord. (at Ygnacio & Cowell).

This is an ongoing problem in this parking lot and also in the Lime Ridge parking lot on Treat Blvd. We’re being told police have stepped up patrols in the lots, but unfortunately, the burglaries have continued.

If you plan to park in the lot, make sure nothing valuable is in your vehicle, and also make sure to take any garage door openers and registration papers out of your vehicle before you leave for your hike. Just put them in your pocket or in the trunk (as long as the trunk can’t be unlocked from the inside of the vehicle).

The lot is visible from Ygnacio Valley Rd., so if you’re driving by and you see somebody smashing a window or spot something else suspicious, call 9-1-1 or the Concord Police non-emergency line at 925-671-3220.

1 Cassandra January 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM

If this lot wasn’t visible from Ygnacio Valley Rd., I could see why how the burglaries would go undetected.

Perhaps the wisest thing to do would be not to park in the lot! If the police have stepped up the patrols, and the burglaries keep happening, I would find someone else to park, even though I never leave anything in my vehicle or trunk.

2 Silva January 9, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Where is this parking lot? I’ve driven YVR 100000’s of times & never seen it. Often seen people walkin to Lime Ridge, but can’t find the parking lot.

3 Meth Monsters January 9, 2014 at 2:33 PM

It’s at the end of cowel…. Rite next to the gate to go into that housing track.

4 Ms. Kitty January 9, 2014 at 2:33 PM

People should know by now not to leave anything visible in your car in the parking lot at Ygnacio and Cowell. Thieves lurk–mostly homeless.

5 J January 9, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Intersection of YV and Cowell

6 Incognito January 9, 2014 at 2:44 PM

I agree with Cassandra…
Time to boycott parking in this lot.

7 Greg in Pleasant Hill January 9, 2014 at 2:45 PM

Walking home from work I saw a concord police officer parked in his cruiser behind Coco’s. I think he was eating a sandwich.

8 Elwood January 9, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Crazy Uncle Joe says all you need is a shotgun.

Park your car with some faux goodies in it, lie in the bushes and wait.

9 JET January 9, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Almost makes me wanna hide in the back seat of my car with a bat and give them a little surprise when they break my windows. It would be the last time they did that, ever.

10 anon January 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Scum!

11 Michael Langley January 9, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Nothing needs to be visible or valuable to be a target. My wife would park there for a hike on the way home and would put her work clothes in a bag in the trunk. The robbers smashed the driver’s side window and pulled the locked trunk release, springing it. All that damage to get a bag of her work clothes from the trunk of a twelve year old car. She decided that it was just not a safe place to park, no matter what she did to secure her items.

12 Cracky McGee January 9, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I drive by this lot frequently and have never seen anyone just sitting in their car like I do in the Lime Ridge parking lot on Treat above Navaronne. Still can’t figure out how the break ins happen so frequently here. Is someone just pretending to hike or do they cruise by the lot every 10 minutes?? Someone once said they hide up the hill & lie in wait but that just doesn’t seem realistic to me …. I have seen CPD sitting in this lot more often but clearly noone is going to break into a car while they are there. Someone needs to set up a camera!

13 NutCreek Frontier January 9, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I used to love hiking there…but am with the others, sad to say, seems like a given if you park there, your car will be burglarized. Of course, given ther frequency of break-ins there, make you wonder why no arrests??

14 Anon January 9, 2014 at 3:50 PM

It’s time for a sting operation by CPD.

15 Horse'n Around January 9, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Wow Greg. That’s a long walk home.

16 Average Claycordian January 9, 2014 at 3:56 PM

This has been happening at Briones, Black Diamond and Lime Ridge parking lots for many years. Don’t park at the parks.

17 NoMoreFreeRide January 9, 2014 at 4:01 PM

This would be the easiest stakeout in the history of mankind if CDP would do it.

18 @Ms. Kitty January 9, 2014 at 4:04 PM

>> People should know by now not to leave anything visible in your car …

Thanks for that insightful comment. What makes you think any of these people left something in sight?
It doesn’t matter if you leave something in sight or not. They will break your window anyway. They need surveillance cameras there. Too bad there’s not a mosque nearby.

19 Shelley January 9, 2014 at 4:09 PM

This is simple……..don’t park there!

20 RunnerDope January 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM

“Someone once said they hide up the hill & lie in wait but that just doesn’t seem realistic to me.”

Cracky McGee,

I think you’ve mis-remembered what I reported seeing. They drop off an accomplice in the parking lot. He walks up the trail to where he can see down the trail and also see the parking lot. When the coast is clear, he calls his buddy in the car who drives in and begins breaking into cars.

21 aj buttacavoli January 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I have the answer – do not hike.

22 Clayton Squirrel January 9, 2014 at 4:33 PM

That’s very sad. Our walking group meets there occasionally and I try to not park in the broken glass spots, thinking that those spots might be more hidden from view. None of us have had their cars broken into during mid-morning hikes but we think about canceling this location off our list. The lots seem reasonably busy and visible so I am surprised that this keeps happening.

23 Ms. Kitty January 9, 2014 at 4:35 PM

That is Ms. Kitty. No denying that.

24 RANDOM TASK January 9, 2014 at 4:37 PM

I bet if a council persons car was there and got broken into they would have 10 people arrested in 24 hours ……..we the people who pay for said people to do their daily duties and fund what is supposed to be funded for our security and safety have skimmed and falsely appropriated funds to family members and friends to increase their wealth and security as the ones who pay again are ravaged like grass hopper does to the ant

25 Veronica January 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM

@18 Surveillance cameras are a good idea. Are you suggesting they should be put on every block of all cities? Sounds like a government plot to me–but I am just paranoid. Glad you had a good time–and I am not muslim.

26 We should not fear theives January 9, 2014 at 4:40 PM

They should fear us!

27 @Shelley January 9, 2014 at 4:46 PM

>> This is simple……..don’t park there!

Oh, yeah. Why didn’t I think of that? That’s the perfect solution. We shouldn’t use the parks we all pay for. Then the scumbags would be forced to give up their lives of crime and become productive citizens. Brilliant.

28 We Are On Our Own January 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Deterrence thru incarceration was all but done away with by the democrat state legislature back in 2011 with passage of AB-109. Making it possible for those sentenced over a year and a day to serve their time in county jails.
democrat’s answer to California’s prison overcrowding problem.
They simply voted to make it not their problem.
Look for these types of crime to do nothing but increase.

Just think of increasing property crimes as your reward for giving democrats a super majority in state legislature. They pass into law whatever they want to, there’s nothing to stop them.

Both Assemblywoman Bonilla and State Senator DeSaulnier,
Voted For AB-109.

29 anon January 9, 2014 at 4:59 PM

BAIT CAR ~ ’nuff said

30 We Are On Our Own January 9, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Felons that used to go to State Prison now take up County Jail bed space for years. Means misdemeanor property crime criminals are shown the door long before their sentences are up to free up bed space and prevent Jail overcrowding.

31 the other jj January 9, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I cant believe no one said BAITCAR yet!!this has come up before….to far from the donut shop??

32 Landana January 9, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I used to hike there, would always see guys sitting in there car. Thought is was a “meet up” place for men to have sex. But im not sure.

33 anon January 9, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Put in parking meters. have high resolution cameras attached to the meters. Put a quarter in the meter and run the camera for 15 minutes. Problem will take care of itself. Thinking outside the box is fun! Try doing it.

34 Justin January 9, 2014 at 5:23 PM

@ Ms. Kitty—–#18

“What makes you think any of these people left something in sight?”

Park elsewhere!

35 Amy January 9, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Who would go there anymore after the many references to break-ins posted on this site. How about a decoy by CPD?

36 I'm The Urban Spaceman January 9, 2014 at 5:29 PM

leave planted items in trunk with a GPS locator attached and then kneecap the bastards.

37 Shelly January 9, 2014 at 5:32 PM

It really sucks to have fantastic parks & walking trails wich many of us might use but CAN’T, for fear of predators. So few can really make a great impact on the quality of life for so many people. I’m glad for the information here. I probably at some point would have one of the prople victemized if not for this information. Sucks though.

38 Justin January 9, 2014 at 5:58 PM

@Shelley—-(27)

I’m with Shelley. Don’t park there. A lot of people before her said the same thing.

Feel free to park there and have your car broken into.

YOU’RE STUPID!

39 Claire January 9, 2014 at 6:16 PM

@ Shelley~~~~~#27

You can still use the park, and park your car elsewhere. Hello!

It also happens to be the opinion of Cassandra, Incognito, Average Claycordian, Shelley, etc.

People are going to continue to break into cars in this lot, period! Law enforcement claims they’re stepping up their patrol, and it’s still happening.

Soooooo……….don’t park your fricking vehicle there.

40 Ted K., SuperMax January 9, 2014 at 6:16 PM

@37… the best response to potential victimization is not being victimized in the first place.

Where is CPD when you need to protect yourself or your property? How would you protect yourself from bodily harm? How would you protect your property?

With harsh words? With threats of calling the police? That will really scare them!!! Oh my !!!!

That is why I exercise my second amendment right to bear arms to protect life and property… And you should too.

41 Frank L. January 9, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Hey Claire, you left two out. Amy and Justin said the same thing.

So @Shelley, don’t park your car there. You’re illogical.

42 @Justin January 9, 2014 at 6:44 PM

>> Because 99.9% of the time, someone did leave something in sight, and that’s why they broke in. DUH!

You really think only 1 in 1000 cars broken into do not have something valuable in sight? My car was broken into twice up there and neither time was there anything of value in sight (or anywhere in the car). The perps know everyone hides their stuff so they break in and try to find it.

43 Shelly January 9, 2014 at 6:52 PM

I do.

44 IEatBabyUnicorns January 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Coming to a suburb near you…Crime!

What exactly did you bleeding heart liberals think would happen when you opened your hearts and our home to a whole new generation of poor folk? “They just come here for work!” Well guess what, there isn’t any. And what happens when the less fortunate can’t put food on the table? What are they supposed to do?

Head to the burbs and break some windows is what they’re going to do.

45 Shelly January 9, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Ted K, #40″ I learned the hard way long ago that it’s just better to avoid places where trouble loiters around. And I’m ready with a killer defence. And I’m a. Democrat!

46 errrrrrrrrrrr January 9, 2014 at 6:58 PM

i agree nothing needs to be visible to be a target; they’ll just smashed the window because there isn’t anything to take. what ashame, people pay all these property taxes and can’t even enjoy a jog without getting their vehicles broken into. disgusting.

47 Wake Up January 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM

@Justin….42

You should’ve parked elsewhere after the first time your car was broken into.

First time around shame on them. Second time around, shame on you. Add me to the list of people who say don’t park there.

You’re not the sharpest tool in the shed.

48 Ms. Kitty January 9, 2014 at 7:17 PM

@errrrrrrrrrrr
whaT is there to Worry about. EveRyone jogs those Paths. public use, remember?

49 Shasta Daisy January 9, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I hike there quite often. Guess I have been lucky.
I have noticed a CPD car parked there a lot lately.

I had my window smashed while hiking at Briones.
Had nothing visible in my car………NOTHING.
Guess they did it just for fun.

50 Kris January 9, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Greg and JJ,

You two are a joke. Is it asking too much that a law enforcement officer be able to eat during their shift just like EVERYONE else in the working world does??!!! News flash: They’re human, they have stomachs and get hungry just like us and have a right to eat. Are you SERIOUSLY going to sit there and say that crime is happening because they’re “sitting behind Coco’s,” “eating a donut,” or grabbing a coffee at Starbucks??!! Grow up. There is so much crime happening all over Concord/Clayton….and even your city, Greg (P Hill)! There’s only so many officers who can be so many places at once. I doubt sitting in an open space parking lot for hours is high on their priority list.

I agree that there is a problem here which needs to be addressed, but those of you blaming cops are immature at best. Losers break into cars for $1 in change, so my best advice is to leave NOTHING visable–not even sunglasses or a bag from Safeway.

51 silva January 9, 2014 at 7:54 PM

The real issue is that many of us can’t use the parks and trails if we can’t park nearby! It’s really easy to just tell us all to park somewhere else like we were too stupid to think of that.

52 Wake Up January 9, 2014 at 8:02 PM

@ Silva—51

There are other places you can park. If walking was an issue, I could see why you wouldn’t want to walking the extra distance.

But if you’re GOING HIKING ON THE TRAIL, WALK THE EXTRA DISTANCE.

If you can hike, you can walk a little further. I won’t tell you where to park. You’re familiar with the area.

It’s up to you whether you want to avoid being a victim, or be stupid.

Crime will always happen. You can’t stop it. But you can certainly use GOOD JUDGMENT AND KEEP FROM SETTING YOURSELF UP!

Unbelievable!

53 Frank L. January 9, 2014 at 8:04 PM

You may have no idea how far you would have to walk along a very busy throughway (Ygnacio Valley Road) with no sidewalks and FAST traffic (50-60mph) to get to the Lime Ridge open space even if you were to park in the lot, since you’re from LAFAYETTE. In order to park somewhere else… well it really isn’t as easy as you might imagine.

54 Prefer Nature January 9, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I recently joined a local gym. I prefer hiking, but I can’t enjoy it without wondering if I’ll return to a car with a smashed window. I hate that the scumbags have gotten the best of me, but what else am I going to do?

55 Atticus Thraxx January 9, 2014 at 8:24 PM

What you guys need is an assalt weapon: http://i.imgur.com/6hg08DE.jpg

56 shelly January 9, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I copied this from Anon at the Whatever blog. I thought it was interesting.

57 silva January 9, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Wake Up #51; What happened to me as an adolescent female alone on a trail in one day in 1968 changed my world. You’re going to tell me to use good judgement and not set myself up? Funny.

58 Frank L. January 9, 2014 at 8:49 PM

@ Frank L.—-53

If you want to use my name, go for it. I’m very familiar with that area. I grew up in the Northgate area of WC.

And, yes, I’ve hiked there. And, no, I didn’t leave my car there. Have someone drop you off and pick you up.

Even if I didn’t grow up in Walnut Creek, Lafayette isn’t far from there.

Have you ever been to Lafayette?

59 Nicole January 9, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Silva~~~57

So “something happened to you as an adolescent female alone on a trail in 1968″, and you still go out on a trail?

You’re not using good judgment (judgment, not judgement). I hope you’re not going alone. Don’t be a glutten for punishment.

You’re old enough to know better.

60 @Frank L. January 9, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Yep. Went to Lafayette Elementary, M. H. Stanley, & Acalanes in the ’60s & ’70s.

61 bigdaddy January 9, 2014 at 9:55 PM

park else where is a stupid solution!!! where should one park if you are going on a hike in the open space?????? on ygnacio valley rd where there is no parking…….

62 Rick January 9, 2014 at 9:58 PM

This is ridiculous! Hike on Mt. Diablo, and find a safe place to park.

63 Silva January 9, 2014 at 10:04 PM

@Nicole, I do not go hiking alone. Not that I can’t defent myself if needed, I’m not a scared 12 year old anymore as you so kindly noted. I do feel badly for people who may not be able to hike a mile to get to a great trail. Not everyone is 23 years old, and the issue isn’t limited to Lime Ridge, as others have mentioned.

64 Craig January 9, 2014 at 10:08 PM

@ bigdaddy-(61)

Parking elsewhere isn’t a stupid solution. While you’re parking elsewhere, you can also hike elsewhere.

Like it’s the only place to hike in the East Bay.

Or continue to park there, and have your car broken into. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

Take up golf or work out at the gym. If money is an issue, walk around the block a few times.

65 Anonymous January 9, 2014 at 10:10 PM

It’s beyond me why the city doesn’t send some workers over there to cut down the bushes that provide cover to the parking lot. Open it up to public view of people driving by, and that might help the problem. Not entirely, of course, but it might help.

66 anon January 9, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Judgment with and without the e are correct…idiot. shooting someone is a little extreme for a car bteak in.

67 *NEWS FLASH* January 10, 2014 at 4:53 AM

To those of you saying to park elsewhere, read the weekly burglary report. Obviously, cars aren’t safe from break-ins anywhere else, either. All you’re doing is moving the crime scene. Something needs to be done to actually stop the thieves from stealing.

68 Just Some Guy January 10, 2014 at 6:24 AM

It’s idiotic to attack the people who are trying to park at this lot. You shouldn’t leave stuff out in the open but numerous people aren’t and the cars are still broken into.

The idea of saying ‘just don’t park there’ is essentially saying your giving in to the criminals. So if someone breaks into your house you might as well not live there anymore huh?

This is nobody’s problem except for the Concord Police Department who has had this problem for YEARS and it’s only getting worse. They need to solve this issue and restore the use of these parks to taxpayers.

69 @Frank L. January 10, 2014 at 7:32 AM

Sorry, I didn’t mean to use your name the first time (#53). I forgot to put the @ symbol in front of your name.

70 @Frank L. January 10, 2014 at 8:10 AM

We were there BEFORE it was incorporated. I used to ride my horse from Lafayette up Mt. Diablo without going through homes or very many streets.
Back in the day. I’m old.

71 Julie January 10, 2014 at 8:46 AM

@ Just Some Guy-68

Your analogy of “just don’t park there” is not the same as “just don’t live there.” You’re talking apples and oranges.

You can hike a lot of trails in the Bay Area, and you don’t have to hike at all.

I’d find a different place to hike, and a different place to park.

MT. DIABLO!!!

72 @Nicole post #59.... January 10, 2014 at 9:30 AM

So what is silva suppose to do? Live her life in fear for the rest of her days, and never go hiking on “a trail” again?

And to suggest that silva was not using “good judgment” is being a little harsh, since you never know when some random ahole will strike. have you ever been attacked on a trail? ok then, please sit down.

Yeah, I once got rear-ended in a car accident, so therefore I will never ever, ever drive a car again. great logic!!!!!

73 me January 10, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Didn’t read all the comments but one thing I’d like to point out is that these lots are VERY visible from YV and Treat.

74 Shelly January 10, 2014 at 10:05 AM

We all wish to be able to enjoy our totally awesome parks. Whatever ones we wish to go to. Sometimes time and scheduling don’t permit a long drive, and we’d like to be able to enjoy a park or open space locally. It’s a problem that needs more attention.

75 CamerasNeeded January 10, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Wish they’d put some cameras up in these areas. There are so many creeps around now. They should even put cameras up along the canal trail. Lots of nuts there too.

76 C g January 10, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Not surprising . The parking lot at in shape is bad for thieves too. Had my truck window shattered out using a pry bar last night. They wouldn’t break it easy because of the window tint.

77 Alicia January 10, 2014 at 10:30 AM

@Nicole Post #59—(72)

Your analogy of “never walking alone on a trail” and “never driving again” if you’re rear ended is about as illogical is it gets.

You don’t have to WALK ALONE ON A TRAIL! Or walk on a trail at all.

You do HAVE TO DRIVE! If you want to get anywhere. You could give up driving, but that’s not the answer.

A woman walking alone on a trail IS A FOOL! If you want to assaulted or raped. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

78 Shelly January 10, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Are we asking for the moon here by wanting a bit more security? I don’t know the answer. I’m not sure what good cameras would do. Not everyone can just go to another park or park their car somewhere else though.

79 Denise January 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I’m with the “park elsewhere”, “hike elsewhere”, “don’t go on a trail alone” crowd.

If you can hike here, you can hike elsewhere, if you own a car. Or not hike at all. There are other forms of exercise.

If you continue to park in a lot that is known to have continuous break ins, and law enforcement has stepped up patrol, and it keeps happening, you’re stupid!!!

80 @Shelly #74 January 10, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Thank you for being one of the sensible ones. We pay a lot of money to have nice parks and for people to suggest that we refrain from using them so thugs can take them over is absurd. If anything, we need to get more good people to use them so thieves won’t have so much privacy.

Seriously, people. The parks belong to YOU, not criminals. Use them.

81 Just Some Guy January 10, 2014 at 11:19 AM

@Julie

“You only have one house to live in, and you have to live there, unless you want to move.”

You just argued my point! Right, you can move. It’s just a matter of inconvenience. You’re just saying it’s more inconvenient.

So you’d rather just run to a place that isn’t be burglarized now and get chased from place to place until their are no places for you to park. Great plan. Seriously?!

Sorry, I’ll choose to stand up and fight back versus roll over and let criminals dictate my life. I’m not saying don’t be smart, but just running away and blaming the victims just makes you complicit in my view.

82 Marcus January 10, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Continue to use the parks, continue to have your car broken into, and continue to read about it on Claycord!

Why didn’t I think of that?

You can use any park you want, including this one. Just don’t park your car in the damned lot!

If cars are being broken into that don’t leave anything in sight, and you continue to park there, YOU ARE AS STUPID AS STUPID AS STUPID GETS!

NEWSFLASH! IT’S NOT A SAFE PALCE TO PARK! QUIT PARKING THERE!

83 me January 10, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Ha, I’ll keep parking at both these places! I don’t carry much of value in my car. I have insurance–it might be nice to have fresh new windows.
Lately I’ve just ridden my friend’s horse from our barn to these trail heads instead…and then continued on to my house. Way more fun!

84 Susanne January 10, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I park there and will continue to park there. . I don’t keep anything of value in sight and I’ve never had any problems.

85 Keith January 10, 2014 at 11:52 AM

@ Just Some Guy~~~81

You don’t make any sense. If a lot is burglarized repeatedly, quit parking there!

We’re not talking about the workplace, where you spend 40 hrs. a week.

Find a new place to park and a new place to hike. Common sense.

My wife and her friends used to park and hike there, and was never burglarized. But she stopped parking (and hiking there) so her car wouldn’t get burglarized.

They now hike elsewhere, and park with no parking problems. Hello!

86 Cowellian January 10, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Get a club!

87 Elwood's crazy uncle Eddie January 10, 2014 at 1:18 PM

A shotgun shell filled with rock salt and fired appropriately would probably do a lot of good.

88 @Keith 85 January 10, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Whether you see it or not, your wife and her friends are victims of crime. The fact that they are afraid to use the parks they pay for means they have submitted to the thugs. Sad. And even sadder that you’re proud of them for it.

89 @Alicia January 10, 2014 at 2:10 PM

Actually my analogy was not illogical at all….just because some incident happens to you once, does not mean it will happen again. Did you know that you have 50% chance of getting into a car accident everytime you get into a vehicle? Certainly a much higher statistic than getting assaulted on a trail!

The point is that you can’t continue to live your life in fear because of some retards who exist in our society…

And I see plenty of women running, walking, biking around hiking trails everyday. Do you think that all these women are “stupid” and “asking to be raped”? Sounds to me like you suffer from some type of paranioa.

But please continue to live in your glass house in fear of everything in the world.

90 Mitch January 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM

@ Keith 85—#88

Your posts are beyond illogical.

Sounds like Keith’s wife and her friends found a better place to hike and park. That’s hardly being a victim.

A victim would be someone who had their car broken into.

Why am I having to explain this to you?

91 VikingPrincess January 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Wow..talk about strong armed answers, you guys are mad.
@Alicia I’m giving you the benefit of caring and being overprotective but if there is something about the safety of walking trails alone in this area that may help prevent something please call the proper authorities and share.

OK..Valium, Xanax or Ativan round the house. Take a deep breath and … step away from the angry bird thoughts.
OK… phew

92 Just Some Guy January 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM

@Keith 85

Riiiiight.

If your wife gets harassed at work don’t have her stand up for herself or report it. Just have her quit and get a new job. If there’s a bully at the school, don’t stand up to him or report him, switch schools. If there’s a government taxing you without representation don’t stand up to them, just move to another country.

The trails and parking lots are ours and not the criminals. You want to turn tail and just run off to another place until that place gets hit and then run off again be my guest. Me? I’m going to do what I can to tell Concord PD to do their job and make those lots safe again.

Why you’re arguing and attacking other law abiding citizens is mind boggling when we should instead be putting pressure on the Concord PD and figuring out ways as a community to solve this problem.

I mean, seriously, you’re attacking the victims instead of the criminals. Feel good about that?

93 Mitch January 10, 2014 at 2:57 PM

@ Alicia—#89

This post is as stupid as #88. There’s a big difference between driving a car and being attacked on a trail. if you’re attacked on a trail, don’t go back on the trail. At least not alone. Alicia isn’t paranoid. She has common sense, which is something you lack.

You don’t have a 50% chance of getting in an accident every time you drive.

Give it up.

94 VikingPrincess January 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM

@just some guy
I like your attitude. Be part of the solution. :).

95 Mitch January 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM

@ Just Some Guy—-#92

Keith’s wife and her friends were smart to park and hike elsewhere.

Why park where you’re going to have your car broken into when you can go someone else that doesn’t have the continuous problem of CAR BREAK INS, EVEN WHEN LAW ENFORCEMENT INCREASED PATROL?

Going to another trail isn’t attacking the victim. It’s using good judgment.

You don’t GET IT, and you never will.

96 @Mitch January 10, 2014 at 3:16 PM

YOU are the one who doesn’t get it. What are you going to do when eventuallythere isn ‘t someplace “safe” to go? Your “just run away” attitude is extremely short-sighted and does nothing at all to reduce crime.

97 @Just Some Guy January 10, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I’m glad someone else here can see the big picture. The “Mitches” and “Alicias” of the world can’t even see that they’re the problem.

98 When do these break-ins usually happen? January 10, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I’m thinking I might just go park in that lot tomorrow and keep an eye out for these turds.

99 Marcus January 10, 2014 at 3:34 PM

@Mitch, Just Some Guy, and all other illogical people (96, 97, etc.)

If you want to park there, fine. Park your car there all frickin day.

For those who “get it”, and choose not to get “ripped off”, let them park and hike elsewhere.

I’m with Alicia and Mitch, and the 10 or so others that share the same opinion. (Logical people).

You have no control other the actions of others, but you can certainly keep yourself from being victimized.

The Mayor said “don’t leave your registration in the car”

You really want to hike with your car registration in your pocket?

I don’t suggest leaving it at home. If you get pulled over, and you don’t have proof of registration, good luck.

It’s not a “runaway attitude”. It’s common sense.

What are you doing to stop the crime?

100 VikingPrincess January 10, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Wondering if or where a list of neighborhood watch groups are located. Might help with a lot of comments here on claycord.com. I was part of one eons ago. We lived in a nice older area slowly being destroyed by closet drug dealers taking over their parents ho.es when they passed. We took back the community before it got bad and made it safe for frightened aging. Heck, we stood out in the street with a clipboard in front of the houses..told everyone that stopped (for drugs) we were taking the license plate number of every car stopping by….bad business for drug dealers..LOL
Also could di similar for the trails and have a hikers watch group..dunno

101 Here's a serious thought January 10, 2014 at 4:37 PM

How many people would be willing to donate a little of their time in the evening or on weekends? We could form a volunteer patrol to watch this parking lot (and maybe others) for suspicious activity, then call the police and take pictures for evidence.If enough people were willing, the time commitment could be as little as an hour a week.

I’m NOT talking about people confronting suspects or trying to detain them. I’m just talking about having a VISIBLE presence in the staging areas. I would be happy to wear a t-shirt that says “Volunteer Patrol” and help educate people as they come in to park. Maybe hand out some information on why we’re there and how to help prevent crime.

I can’t imagine the Concord PD would have a problem with such a thing, as long as actions taken are limited to photographing and reporting suspicious activity. To be honest, I doubt there would even BE much suspicious activity if the parking areas were obviously being watched.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this (other than Mitch and Marcus who are just going to say I don’t get it. Hell, if they have it, I don’t WANT it.)

102 Just Some Guy January 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM

@Mitch and @Marcus

Your “logic” is simply do nothing and run scared until there’s no where else to go. I have logic it’s just lock with a backbone. No one is saying don’t be smart about what you leave in your car. But the idea that we should just roll over and let criminals push us out of public space is simply … cowardly.

You’re free to run away but don’t denigrate those who are willing to stand up and ask others or do something (Concord PD, community watch, hidden cameras, GPS traps) from working on a solution so that we push the criminals out. Then you can trot back and use the lots as you used to.

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.”

103 @ Mitch post 93 January 10, 2014 at 4:56 PM

You are wrong. And as stupid as Alicia for agreeing with her. So I think that you two would make an interesting pair. Maybe you should hook up with her.

But in reference to her statements, if wants to say at home, eat her bons-bons, and be afraid of everything out there that may happen on the trails, then she certainly has the right to do so — just dont label other people as being “stupid” and “asking to be raped” just because they want to enjoy their lives by hiking outside.

And look up the most recent driving statistics which are constantly posted by AAA – you have a 50% chance of getting into an accident EVERY time you drive. That doesn’t stop people from getting into their cars, does it??

I know plenty of girls out there who have more balls than you do, and are not afraid of running, hiking, biking on trails. What they usually do is just keep their cell phones with them, carry mace, avoid running during dawn/dusk when it is dark. But to tell someone not to ever go outside on a trail again because they were attacked is just insane. AND PARANOID…LIKE ALICIA

Get back to your meds before sounding off again, buddy.

Me 1, You 0

104 Lock and Load January 10, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Mitch and the other weaker trolls on this post can go ahead and run away from trails where their cars get broken into. I am going to continue enjoy my life, exercise, enjoy the weather.

And if those degenerates at Lime Ridge do decide to break into my car, I have a nice little glock 9 I can introduce them to…

105 Candyman January 10, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I have been reading these posts and can’t help but notice that Mitch tends to bully everyone here. Which is hysterical because he sounds like the type of guy who lives in the house-on-the-hill, far away from everybody, drinking his wine and eating his cheese. There is a place for people like that….it is called Lafayette!!!

If someone breaking into your car upsets you this much, causing you to make such drastic lifestyle changes – I can’t imagine what real problems might do to you.

And car break-ins can happen anywhere, not just near Lime Ridge. There have recent incidents where vehicles located in parking lots of well established businesses have been broken into. And stolen. And these are places where security is monitoring the parking lots, daily.

So let us all stop going to work, because our vehicles may get stolen at work, right???

106 Sheila January 10, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Agree to disagree. I don’t hike, so it’s not a concern.

But if I was a hiker, I’d find somewhere else to hike. It’s common sense.

Why would I want to deal with all this crap if I don’t have to? Let the police worry about it.

Lock and Load wants to shoot people? If you want to spend the rest of your life in prison.

107 Claire January 10, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Why are a few of you (the lack of common sense folks) insisting that everyone stick around and park and hike at Lime Ridge?

Who made you the “hiking police?”

If they want to get the f*** out of there, let them get the f*** out of there!

Who wouldn’t want to go elsewhere?

108 @Claire January 10, 2014 at 5:53 PM

What we’re trying to explain is that the “elsewheres” are becoming few and far between, and will eventually be non-existent. It will be far too late to take a stand at that point. So, what are you going to do? Look for another planet?

109 Lisa January 10, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I used to park at Lime Ridge and go hiking until I read on Claycord about all the break ins.

I now hike Mt. Diablo, which I find more challenging anyway.

If people want to leave and find somewhere else to hike (and park), quit meddling in their business.

It’s my life, and I’ll hike where I want!

110 Lisa January 10, 2014 at 6:03 PM

@Claire—(108)

Mt. Diablo will always be there! That’s where I’m currently hiking, and couldn’t be happier!

111 Silva January 10, 2014 at 6:28 PM

@Lisa, do you pay the $10.00 entrance fee? Mt Diablo is a fabulous place to hike, run, bicycle, horseback ride, camp, etc. etc.. I just came down from there, and it’s a fantastic beautiful treasure! I can’t afford that every day though. Is there a staging area unknown to the general public where we can leave our cars and hike in?

112 @Lisa January 10, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Hike wherever you want. I could care less. Just remember I told you so when the break-ins start happening at Mount Diablo and you’re stuck looking for another “safe” place.

113 Silva January 10, 2014 at 6:45 PM

@Here’s a serious thought; bully for you! You sound like someone who could make it happen, too! Any takers?

114 Silva January 10, 2014 at 6:48 PM

@Viking Princess; bravo for cleaning up the neighborhood like that! So awesome!

115 KenInConcord January 10, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Any hunters have a Trail cameras they want to stash near the entrance to the lot?

But unless you catch them in the act it will never make it to court.

116 Nutcreek Frontier January 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM

For serious hikers, a great staging area and safe place to park is at Borges Ranch. The road in and out discourages thugs, they can’t do a quick getaway. Happy hiking!

117 Neal January 10, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Of course thieves are going to break into your car in a lot for hikers.

They’re looking for purses in the car or trunk. Wallets in the glove box or under the seat.

It will only get worse. Park and hike at your own risk.

Personally, anybody that parks in a lot that has serial burglaries is beyond stupid. If they’re aware of it anyway.

Unbelievable!

118 VikingPrincess January 10, 2014 at 8:35 PM

Just when we where discussing the need for neighborhood watch in the community, Concord and surrounding areas went Die Hard on us. I still think its a good idea and share with Clay cord.com if need be. Thanks Silva…believe me we were scared too. One person drove up on our lawn he was so mad, but never came back and the SWAT team eventually finished the biggest guy…found out he was making it with an infant in the house… all in a quiet bedroom community.
Guys…neighborhood watch works, but be on same page with law enforcement.

119 It's unfortunate January 11, 2014 at 8:53 AM

There will always be two types of people, the ones like Viking Princess who get off their butts and DO something to improve the situation, and the pansies like Sheila, Mitch, Marcus, and Claire who run away or hide under the bed and let somebody else deal with it because it’s “not their job” or “not their problem”. Sadly, the pansies outnumber the rest of us by at least 20 to 1.

I don’t hike, have never parked my car in that lot, and have never been burglarized. But I was willing to donate time on weekends to patrol that lot for those who want to use it. Only one person even commented on my suggestion, and nobody volunteered to help. So you’re on your own. I’ll just be like the rest of you and care only about myself.

120 Neal January 11, 2014 at 12:19 PM

@ It’s Unfortunate-119

Put me with Sheila, Mitch, Marcus and Claire (and several others you left out).

I have more important things to worry about than that stupid lot. Let law enforcement handle it. It’s NOT YOUR JOB!!!

If it was my neighborhood, yes. I have a 30 yr. mortgage.

But some stupid lot? Forget it. if you don’t understand why people chose to “hike and park elsewhere”.

Maybe these people have a life, and don’t have time to worry about it.

Smart people MOVE ON!

121 Silva January 11, 2014 at 2:40 PM

@It’s unfortunate; people just seem to want to let off steam and insult each other here. I really applaud your willingness to help. This am as I passed on my way to work I noticed many cars there, and possibly someone who was sitting in a vehicle, a white p/u, who was conspicuosly in the middle of the lot, rather than in a stall. Perhaps looking out for others? Maybe!

122 Bill January 11, 2014 at 4:25 PM

For those of you who claim they “want to” or “are actually doing something about this”, my question to you is, “what are you actually doing?”

At least the others admit they don’t want anything to do with this lot, and rightfully so.

So Viking Princess, Silva, etc., what are you doing about it? Or are you just sitting behind a keyboard and pretending?

123 I offered to help January 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM

But why should I, when the people directly affected won’t even lift a finger to help themselves?

Sure, maybe it’s just a stupid parking lot. Maybe you can just park or hike someplace else. At least until there’s no place else. Look at Detroit, for example. Do the Mitches and the Neals think it turned into a cesspool overnight? It started with one stupid parking lot, or one little park, and then took years of apathy by losers just like them before it got to where it is today.

And the most pathetic thing about them is that they can’t even see how pathetic they are. They actually think they’re the ones with common sense.

124 Denise January 11, 2014 at 7:21 PM

@ I offered to help…..#123

You’re in the minority, but you’re entitled to your opinion.

Crime will happen there because thieves know people are hiking, and they’re looking for purses, wallets, etc.

I don’t hike, but I would hike elsewhere myself.

If police have increased patrol, and the break ins are still happening regularly, what do you really think you can do?

You’re very naïve.

125 VikingPrincess January 11, 2014 at 9:03 PM

@Bill..when you get a moment like I have now, please review my comments again. Initially I read the article and somehow ended up noting a handful of angry posts…and asked questions that were not even answered. This commonly happens on talk about whatever, as posters get a bit self absorbed… no matter.
I do go for walks and bike but not a hiker. I dont go alone when i do, even if I use meet up as a resource. No one seemed interested in doing much but venting so I moved on, was anyone under the impression I was supposed to do something?
@ I offered help and @just some guy..@silva and others made gallant comments. The thread started to quiet down and make more sense. But reality is, some people are pleasantly miserable and like to complain, you start to give solutions and when they quiet down or go away its obvious.
Hey…I’m still awaiting for my answer but I am not interested in pining away if no one pays attention. If you need help or insight speak up.
Thanks to those who care and make a difference ;)

126 Steve January 11, 2014 at 9:53 PM

The people who want to park and hike elsewhere aren’t the ones who are complaining. They’re willing to move on.

It’s the small minority who think you should stick around and “do something” that are coming across as whiners.

With the exception of Neighborhood Watch programs where people with 30 year mortgages get involved because they’ll be living there a long time, leave crime fighting to law enforcement.

Your paying for it through your taxes. If the cops can’t get the crime under control at the lot, what do really think you can do to help?

Thieves will steal from their own Mothers, and they’re not deterred by the police. Like you can stop them?

Get real.

127 VikingPrincess January 11, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Honestly, had no idea it was a trail until reading the posts.
Had no idea neighborhood watch was exclusive to homeowners…silly me ;)
All that time my hubby and I were going to college, working, saving to buy and renting. But we started a neighborhood watch and the Sherriff never told us that was a requirement. In fact, they mentioned high crime rates were common in rental dense areas of cities.
Hey maybe times are changing. Even then I still watch my neighbors back…
Learn something everyday.

128 @Steve January 11, 2014 at 10:35 PM

The only thing needed to control crime at that lot is a presence. Nobody is going to break into cars when somebody is watching.

What if there were a small fee to park at a staging area (maybe two dollars) and somebody sat in a little booth there on weekends collecting the fees and watching the lot. Would anybody be willing to pay two bucks to have somebody watching their car while they were off hiking? I would gladly pay for that peace of mind, but I’m guessing I’m in the minority.

BTW, you pay for that park with your taxes, too.

129 VikingPrincess January 11, 2014 at 11:03 PM

@Steve..could not agree with you more. There are areas that do collect for parking and I do recall a staging area of the park costing about ten dollars And I was a bit floored that I had to go online, join something and pay to walk in a park..LOL. I take it this is where Rangers watch vs poluce? Hard to keep up ;) yep times are changing.
Great suggestion Steve..and if people are serious about the area then they will take you up on it.
Only other crazy option is to call in to the police or sheriff every time you decide to go..tell em you are checking in and heard vandalism was an issue and they are now being informed a taxpaying citizen is in the vicinity and graciously request their expertise. ;)…guess I am feeling a bit spicy.

130 Shelly January 12, 2014 at 8:52 AM

@Bil #122: if you had read the posts you would have known that Silva didn’t know where the parking lot was in the first place. Her comments were about being sad that it was difficult for so many to enjoy our beautiful parks and trails. Why would she then be required to answer to you what she was going to do about it? If you had read the actual posts before making your bullying comment, you’ve known that she has herself has been unable to enjoy ANY hike in the park on her own for over 40 years. Like she said, some. Folks are here just ro vent and insult others. Viking princess has put herself out there in a prolonged and dangerous situation to make living better for others, and used the experience as an example of what could be done. We. Don’t know the answer here, and we personally never proclaimed to, but some people have come up with ideas, and maybe to the benefit overall.

131 Shelly January 12, 2014 at 9:20 AM

@Steve from my POV, the people saying we’re stupid because we’d like to be able to use our parks in relative safety sound hysterical. But call me any name you want, I’m sure I’ve heard worse!

132 Shelley January 12, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I disagree that having someone in the lot would deter a thief. It should, but it doesn’t.

Burglars break into homes when residents are home, day and night!

Auto burglary and car theft happens in public when there are a lot of people around.

Thieves don’t care—–PERIOD!

133 Mustang Sally January 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM

@Shelley, #136. you’re right. And the parking fee does have an excluding effect on a large group of already marginalized working or otherwise people.

134 Mustang Sally January 12, 2014 at 10:49 AM

(Should have said “marginalized working or otherwise POOR people.”)

135 Rick January 12, 2014 at 11:35 AM

@ Shelley-132

I totally agree. Hike and park at your risk, or hike somewhere else.

136 @Shelley January 12, 2014 at 1:06 PM

If you were to actually check the statistics, I’m sure you would find that attended lots suffer from break-ins FAR less than unattended ones.

137 Sheila January 12, 2014 at 1:34 PM

@Shelley—-#136

Since nobody is attending the lot, what difference does it make?

Law enforcement has increased patrol, and unfortunately it’s still happening.

Perhaps you can attend the lot tomorrow, and every day after.

Be sure to let everyone know how it went. I hope you’re successful.

138 @Sheila January 12, 2014 at 3:50 PM

You obviously haven’t followed the discussion and you just felt like hopping on the “People who actually try to improve a situation instead of running away from it are morons” bandwagon.

Yeah, law enforcement has increased patrol. Now they drive by twice a day instead of once. What difference does it make? None. What am I going to do? Nothing. I’ll spend my energy defending things that are important to me (and hiking isn’t one of them).

Go hike at Mount Diablo (which is probably not much safer, but it’s not covered on this blog). When you get ripped off at Mount Diablo, you can start hiking Mount Tam. Eventually, you and all your pacifist friends will be driving to Mount Everest to walk your dogs. Enjoy, and dress warmly.

139 Horse'n Around January 12, 2014 at 4:00 PM

So a lot of people are saying ” just don’t park there. ” Ok, so then we go and frequent another park. Then the losers start going to that parking lot, and breaking into our cars there also. Then what? Do we just keep going from one hiking area to another, and then still have people blaming us for wanting to enjoy the outdoors. How about trying to find a solution and stop blaming the victims. We can’t stop enjoying life and letting the losers take over.

140 Danielle January 12, 2014 at 4:33 PM

My husband and I hike at the Lafayette Reservoir, and have been for years. I never heard of any break ins, but there might be.

If Lafayette isn’t too far, there’s the Lakeside Nature Trail (2.7 miles, paved), and the Rim Trail (4.7 miles, unpaved).

It’s a beautiful place to hike.

I understand why people want to hike elsewhere, and I understand why people want to solve the problem of break ins. Not everybody thinks alike.

Happy hiking!

141 Miguel January 12, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I’m too lazy to hike. And if someone breaks into my truck, there isn’t anything worth stealing.

I do play a lot of sports, but you’re not going to catch me hiking or jogging. Where’s they joy?

142 I'm The Urban Spaceman January 12, 2014 at 5:54 PM

I saw a MC cop on patrol there at 10 this morning

143 Silva January 12, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Miguel #141; it’s a joy to be outside in our naturally beautiful world. It’s different thing to different prople. Some can barely move, but that doesn’t stop them from wanting to get out in nature. It’s not allways about the exercize, though that’s definatly a bonus. I love wildlife. My grandmother was NUTS about birds.

Danielle #140; I used to love to explore the reservior in Lafayette when they opened it up! It was beautiful then, and I’m glad it still is. I may have to go there again!

144 Silva January 13, 2014 at 9:40 AM

149 Urban Spaceman-That’s vert cool!

145 Silva January 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM