Suspicious Kid Going Door-to-Door at 8:30am in Concord

January 8, 2014 · 48 comments

We received this note from a Claycordian in the Crossings neighborhood in Concord on Wednesday morning.

I had a boy ring my doorbell at 8:30 this morning. It took me a while to answer and when I did he had already walked down the street a ways. He came back and asked me if I would like my address painted on the curb. I asked him what organization he represented and he said he was a Boy Scout. There was nobody around him that looked like they may have been associated with the Boy Scouts. He was unable to provide any identification. He kept looking down the street at a vehicle that seemed to be waiting for him. When I told him I wasn’t interested in his “services” he ran towards the entrance of the court.

I asked him if he shouldn’t be in school. He said he attends Northgate High School and was off today. When I told him I wasn’t interested in his “services” he ran towards the entrance of the court. I immediately called Northgate and they informed me that school was indeed in session today and the rest of the week.

Please beware; I believe someone was casing our neighborhood.

Thanks for the note.

By the way, Claycordians, the police were called.

1 Marcus January 8, 2014 at 1:53 PM

People really do knock on your door and ask if you want you address painted on the curb.

Whether he was ligit or not, who knows! I don’t associate curb painters with the Boy Scouts.

2 scouts do paint curbs January 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Scouts do paint curbs. Type “scouts painting curbs” into Google. I’m sure if this guy was legit he would have had his uniform on though.

3 Aimless January 8, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Sounds like he was NOT legit since his cover story was a total lie. And a stupid one too – the Crossings is in the Northgate school district so there was a very good chance that any random person he encountered in the neighborhood would be familiar with the school schedule and would know that Northgate was indeed in session today.

4 Max January 8, 2014 at 2:18 PM

As a parent active in one of the Boy Scout troops in the area, I can tell you there are no active fundraising efforts like this running with our troop.

I beleive your hunch about someone casing the neighborhood holds water.

5 Rick January 8, 2014 at 2:43 PM

I’m hardly naïve, but the kid was probably legit. As far as lying about why he’s not in school. He could be over 18 for all you know. Or cutting school, and figured it was none of your business.

The fact that he came back after you opened your door to ask whether you wanted your address painted on the curb makes me thinks he’s legit. If he was just looking to see if you were home, he can see that when you opened your door.

Most door to door soliciting is legit. It’s just annoying. There’s a difference.

6 Sheila January 8, 2014 at 3:05 PM

If he really was looking to paint your curb, he’d need a permit to go door to door.

Keep in mind “curb painting” won’t grant you access into your home.

No idea if this kid was legit, but when in doubt, call the police.

7 jean January 8, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up

8 Momo January 8, 2014 at 3:13 PM

@max
I was the cubmaster for 3 years for my sons boys scout troop. There are a lot of troops in the area and I didn’t know every fundraising event going on for every troop. Most people wouldn’t. Even if you are actively involved… Just saying.

9 AJ January 8, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Can you describe what he looked like?

10 anon January 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Youngsters need to be in school getting an education so they can be somebody.

11 VikingPrincess January 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Have had a handful of these types of posts on here in the past few months.
Our local paper addressed how to properly address this…with exception to placing a no peddler sign in front door (supposed to take care of much)..ask if they have a permit. Must have a permit to sell. Last resort, contact police non emergency services.
The permit idea sounds like a good option.

12 RANDOM TASK January 8, 2014 at 3:54 PM

well I see a reasonable cure …..those who want solicitors for curb painting and or anything else or just like to error on the side of everyone has to be legit give out your address and we will send em right to you along with the bums and illegals and anything else that votes dem

13 Questionable January 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I saw him over on Plumliegh this morning around 9:30 am getting ready to paint a curb but something didn’t look right on how he was setting up. More interested in looking around than what he was supposed to be doing

14 Anon January 8, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Leave the kid alone. Sounds like he’s just trying to make an honest buck.

15 Zak January 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Pretty sure I know that kid. But to be totally honest it doesn’t sound like he wished you harm or anything. He was probably just trying to make a little money to have in his pocket. It sounds just like someone going door to door offering to wash cars or rake yards, so maybe take a chill pill or two and relax.

16 Antonio January 8, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Hard to say whether he was legit, but I’m with Sheila. If he is, he needs a permit. Curb painting won’t let you in the front door or backyard.

I’ve had people knock in our door to paint the curb in P.Hill, and they were legitimate. I wanted it done, and gave him money when he was done.

17 Cowellian January 8, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I’m willing to bet that this wasn’t a scout.

Scouts may not wear official uniforms for most fundraising events. Scouts may only wear uniforms for BSA officially sanctioned fundraisers, such as the annual popcorn sale. However, most troops have a troop t-shirts for unofficial wear that would be suitable for a troop fundraiser.

However, the BSA would require a buddy system to be in place, so you wouldn’t see one scout working by himself. And all scout events require two-deep leadership.

18 Incognito January 8, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Legit, not legit.
Who cares, he didn’t ask to come into your house to do something.
Either say yes or no.

19 T. from C. January 8, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Better to be more careful than too lax. I had a seemingly legit young man come to my door around 8 PM. Said he was selling the newspaper to get credit for scholarships. It was a good deal, so I bought the Sunday paper for 3 months for $5.95/mo. He asked for my credit card, but I know that schtick! I wrote him a check instead thinking I was pretty smart. HA!
Turns out he was legit, but someone in his ‘organization’ used the routing and account numbers off my check to take all kinds of random amounts of money out of my account.
BE CAREFUL! Even BofA told me it’s not safe to write checks anymore. Imagine that!

20 LostBoysMom January 8, 2014 at 5:09 PM

This young man said he went to Northgate and lied about school being in session. Boy Scouts would not encourage their members to go out during school hours to offer any service and he offered no identification to show that he was with the scouts . And, as many people said on here, he did not have a permit.
Several years ago, when I was about to leave for work, there was a knock on my door. It was a young man (high school age) said he was looking for someone (that person had previously lived at the address and had moved over a year before). I thought it was odd he was there at about 9 on a school morning, also that he did not know this person had been gone over a year. I left for work and when I got home later that day..guess what? I had been robbed!! Two weeks later, the phone rang as I was leaving for work. I could tell someone was on the other end but did not speak. After having been robbed once I had an uneasy feeling. I locked up the house, left the dog inside and went to work. When my husband went home for lunch, our house had been broken into and robbed again!! Turned out the kid had robbed the house when the previous owners lived there!
There is no way this kid in the post above was legit. Be careful and trust your instincts.

21 Jules January 8, 2014 at 5:55 PM

remember when you don’t invite them to your door, your phone, you are under no obligation and inviting trouble when you entertain these people – any of them. you know when you are expecting someone.

22 Lt January 8, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Do we know what street this happened on? I live in the Crossings off S. Larwin and found my side gate opened when I got home for work. Thankfully I have a good alarm and a loud, mean dog.

23 Cvhs1994 January 8, 2014 at 6:51 PM

So what? It is a free country.

24 VikingPrincess January 8, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Call me old fashioned but it is nice to think that kids can try to make a few bucks for themselves.
My mother was the neighborhood kids favorite. One day I talked the whole lot of them to go door to door doing yard work and collecting money to buy my mother a special perfume for her birthday. We told the people at the door and raised the money. It was still considered a bit corney but we did it.

25 Big Fred January 8, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I am in the Northgate community, and the kids went to school today, same time as usual! I think the kid was up to no good. Whenever I have had a boy scout come to my door, a few times, they have been in uniform or have some kind of ID that tells me that they are legit. I would have been weary of the solicitor too…thank god for neighborhood watch.

26 people are sooo naive January 8, 2014 at 8:22 PM

wow, I can’t belive people think this could be legit (?) if yar clueless enough to answer the door for any solicitor these days your asking for trouble…Fuller Brush and Electrolux and the like is history, show up with your phone, camera in hand (whatever) and say I got yar picture…I’ll send it to the police/FBI/neighbors…see what reaction you get…PLEASE..be just a bit pro-active and protect yourselves and your neighbors…get a clue people !

27 Nicole January 8, 2014 at 8:41 PM

We live in Walnut Creek (North Gate area), and have had “address curb painting” solicitors in our neighborhood.

My husband told him “no thanks”, but our neighbor had hers painted, and gave him $15.00 when the job was completed.

I have no idea if this kid is legit, even though I think he’s lying about the Boy Scouts, as well as being a student at Northgate.

I believe if someone is trying to gain access to your home, they will come up with a lie to get into your home or yard.

Curb painting won’t get you anywhere. And it’s a business that goes back several decades.

28 TreatGuy January 8, 2014 at 8:42 PM

A suspicious young man just came by my apartment at Treat and Oak Grove, holding a clipboard with a sheet of promotional material clumsily laminated to it with packing tape, claiming to be participating in a fundraiser. Definitely seemed to be casing the complex – he didn’t knock on any of the neighbors’ doors that were well lit, and was shifty as heck.

About 20 years old, about 5’9″, hispanic, and wearing a blue and yellow hoodie.

29 D-SHOT January 8, 2014 at 8:44 PM

I’ll paint your curb. Just give me your address, S.S.N , mothers maiden name,and credit card # with security code. Send it to…1234 Gullible Dr, Idiot, America

30 Scout Mom January 8, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Boy Scouts DO wear class A or Class B uniforms for anything scout related. He should have, at the very least a class B which is any shirt from a BSA camp, event or troop shirt.
When we do the Scouting for Food, a boy might go to a door alone, but a buddy would be across the street or near by, as would an adult leader.

Northgate is in session Cvchs is still out this week.

What I don’t like is that he lied twice, about being a Scout and going to Northgate.

31 Miguel January 8, 2014 at 9:16 PM

Curb painting is a legitimate business. It’s whether or not he really was a curb painter.

It’s not like he was trying to get into your house or backyard. If he was, he’s not going to offer to “paint your curb.”

Most people that go door to door are not “casing the joint.” Of course they will look kind of shady, even if they’re legit.

Calling the police might make you feel better, but they won’t do anything about it.

32 wow January 8, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Not sure the boy scouts support skipping school and lying in hopes of making a couple bucks. If the did every boy would join.

33 The scout January 8, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I had two kids come to my neighborhood last year and said they were scouts.

I’m an Eagle Scout and I asked them a bunch of questions only scouts would know. They answered every one and we chatted while they painted my numbers.

Good kids and seemed legit

34 Concord Guy January 8, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Did he look like a gypsy kid?

35 Dr. Jellyfinger January 8, 2014 at 11:53 PM

I had a couple of “Girl Scouts” ring me to the front door a while back. They looked like the real deal, had cookies and all…. but I was suspicious. One of them kept peeking around me checking out all the cool stuff in my living room. I asked them if they knew who Juliette Gordon Low was. They didn’t have a clue! So I ordered my Min Pin in German “Nip Ihre Knöchel” Lotsa barking & screaming. Nobody got hurt but they won’t be back.

36 Spencer January 9, 2014 at 6:51 AM

@Miguel #32:
“Ask for ID, and if they don’t have any, be nice to them anyway. Don’t piss them off. It will come back to haunt you.”

Holy god above, that is one of the stupidest things i have ever heard. You are clearly one of these thieves.
Damn right we should piss off any fool who knocks on our doors unsolicited.

37 Spencer January 9, 2014 at 6:52 AM

And… I should have capitalized “God” and “I” in the post above. It is too early in the morning.

38 Connie Dobbs January 9, 2014 at 7:34 AM

I thought the Boy Scouts were outlawed.

39 Ranger January 9, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Kid was probably just confused
about Scouts now accepting gays.

40 Craig January 9, 2014 at 9:45 AM

@ Spencer-37

I’m with Miguel. It’s called STREET SMARTS! You tick off the wrong person, you’ll regret it. I think Miguel comes from an area in LA where street smarts are required.

It doesn’t make him a thief. It’s called COMMON SENSE.

I have no idea if this guy was legit.

41 NutCreek Frontier January 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Just a reminder, truancy is against the law. Encourage truants to go to school and if they don’t, call the police. Many daytime home burglaries are commited by juveniles.

42 Sheila January 9, 2014 at 10:43 AM

My neighbor pissed off solicitors that were selling magazines, and the next morning he had 4 slashed tires.

I agree with Miguel. It doesn’t make him a thief. He’s using good judgment.

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.

Hard to say whether this kid was really looking to paint curbs or up to no good.

I understand why people call the police, but there’s not much they can do. Knocking on doors isn’t illegal.

43 Mr. John January 9, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Some are legit. Some are not. Always protect yourself, or you may regret it. If nothing else, this was a truancy issue.

44 Frank L. January 9, 2014 at 10:59 AM

@ Spencer~~~~#37

Ever heard of “fear of retaliation?” It’s for real! You tick off the wrong people, and you might regret it.

To call someone a thief is pretty narrow minded and judgmental.

You’re a moron.

As far as the kid in the neighborhood, it’s hard to say. But I think he was lying about the Scouts and being a student at Northgate. The question is, why?

45 Analise January 9, 2014 at 11:22 AM

People are too uptight these days. My kids go to our neighbor’s house just to see if they can make a buck or two mowing lawns or helping out. There’s nothing wrong with that–and no, you don’t need a permit.

46 tired of taxes January 9, 2014 at 11:46 AM

If you don’t want people knocking on your door, get rid of your door.
Problem solved.

47 Shelley January 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM

@ Analise—46

You don’t need a permit to mow your neighbors lawn. You do need a permit to go door to door for ANYTHING!

Ni idea if this kid was for real. When in doubt, err on the side of caution.

48 VikingPrincess January 10, 2014 at 12:31 AM