Vehicle -vs- Pedestrian on N. California Blvd. in Walnut Creek

January 6, 2014 · 27 comments

Firefighters and paramedics are responding to the intersection of N. California Blvd. and Pringle Ave. (north of Ygnacio Valley Rd.) in Walnut Creek where a vehicle apparently struck a pedestrian.

The 70-year-old male is unconscious, but breathing.

Please use caution if you’re in the area.

1 In my travels around the area January 6, 2014 at 11:03 AM

I am seeing more and more pedestrians entering cross walks even though on coming vehicles cannot stop in time. Pedestrians crossing streets recklessly cannot fault drivers.

There are still plenty of reckless and inattentive drivers, talking and texting seem to be the common curses along with going too fast and running lights.

Drivers and pedestrians need to be considerate of others.

2 Don't Censor Me Bro January 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM

@#1 tell B-) us who has right of way, now please…

3 Krogs January 6, 2014 at 11:36 AM

We could see the emergency vehicles from our office windows. I hope he is ok. Hopefully he wasn’t trying to get across N. California from or to BART. People do this all the time – not in the crosswalk – and they scare the heck out of drivers not expecting them to dart out, especially at dusk/commute hour.

4 CJ January 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I saw the aftermath of this accident. This was not at a crosswalk or intersection. This was in the middle of the block on California BETWEEN Ygnacio and Pringle. The guy must’ve been trying to cross in the middle of the road to get to the Bart Station.

5 In my travels around the area January 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM

Pedestrians have the right of way, but if a pedestrian steps in front of car being driven legally that simply cannot stop in time, who is at fault?

V C Section 21950 Right of Way at Crosswalks

This section does not relieve a pedestrian from the duty of using due care for his or her safety. No pedestrian may suddenly leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard. No pedestrian may unnecessarily stop or delay traffic while in a marked or unmarked crosswalk.

6 Jerk January 6, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Matters NOT who has the right of way (PS – the pedestrian does), BUT a 4,000 pound vehicle does not stop on a dime. Think and Look before you step out.

7 Cherie Downs January 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Saturday night I was crossing in a crosswalk about 10 p..m. on North Main in Walnut Creek, when my daughter grab me and pulled me back and I was slamed to the ground. A car would have hit me. The driver went past and my daughter said she could feel the car pass it was so close to her. The driver flew by. My husband started to yell at the driver who slowed down for a seconds and then fled off. I was about one quater of the way in the intersection.

8 Silva January 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Surely it’s ALL his fault! Poor driver. Must’ve ruined his/her whole morning!

9 Antonio January 6, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I don’t know if more pedestrians are being hit, or if I’m hearing about it more in the media. Probably both.

Pedestrians and drivers need to pay more attention.

10 just1dering January 6, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Peds need to watch out.
I saw a guy run right in front of me crossing a crosswalk, I saw him and did not go on the green, the car next to me did not.

11 Owen. January 6, 2014 at 12:27 PM

What an idiot, crossing a busy street outside of a crosswalk. Might as well try running across the freeway.
How does that “right of way” feel right about now, sucker?
LOL.

12 close calls January 6, 2014 at 12:33 PM

There is no doubt there has been many distracted drivers but I have had some very close calls in particular on Pacheco and Contra costa Blvd by the Casino as well as Target area and down by Chilpancingo… Pedestrians just start crossing anywhere. Employees of the casino have consistently been observed jaywalking… bicyclists are coming out of nowhere…. there was approx 3 young boys riding the median doing wheelies off and on in front of target and all of the sudden shot off the median towards target parking lot
Homeless appear to intentionally walk out in front of you….sometimes in the early evening it is hard to see if the sun is shining a certain way and/or it is dark and the pedestrians or cyclists are wearing dark clothes…
I was walking to Safeway shopping center and a big truck was upset that I was crossing, revved up his motor, called me a name and then floored it and almost hit a guy on a skateboard…..so some motorists are definitely at fault

13 Nibs January 6, 2014 at 12:39 PM

People assume they can be seen by the driver. I find it especially bad at dusk when pedestrians wear dark clothing. Never assume someone sees you, even in a crosswalk,or assume you can make it across the street in time when a driver is speeding or could come around a corner.
WE ALL NEED TO SLOW DOWN and pay attention regardless who is at fault. 10 and 2 and eyes on the road. Now you need a license to be a Pedestrian.

14 @CJ January 6, 2014 at 12:42 PM

You would make a bad detective jumping to conclusions. The man could have been thrown by the car.

15 Concord Guy January 6, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I’m sure some shyster personal injury attorney will sort it out.

16 Anon January 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM

The guy must’ve been trying to cross in the middle of the road to get to the Bart Station.”

That is illegal

“Matters NOT who has the right of way (PS – the pedestrian does),”

WRONG — Ped was doing an illegal act

Ask any cop–it is curbstone justice….violate the aw & get your punishment right there

17 Well... January 6, 2014 at 2:21 PM

If you are crossing a road outside of a crosswalk or crossing against the red do not walk sign, you do not have the right of way. If you are hit by a car, the driver will not be cited if they were following the law.

18 wake up, drivers!!! January 6, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Even though the pedestrian has the responsibility to cross safely at crosswalks, intersections, stops signs, etc. – I know from personal experience that walking around Walnut Creek/Concord can be a death sentence, because:

1. Drivers are always going too fast, even around crosswalks/walkways, stop signs. These unfortunate people do not yield or bother slowing down.
2. Drivers are always talking on cellphones while driving, which means they seldom if ever pay attention to someone walking across the crosswalk, intersections, stop signs.

I have seen many incidents while running around contra costa canal or iron horse trail that drivers seldom stop to yield to people crossing along these areas. Even at the crosswalks. Here are some of the danger/”death traps” you should be aware of around our area as a pedestrian:

1. Cowell Road crosswalk, Contra Costa Canal trail, Concord – The idiot “trailer trash” drivers who live around this area never yield, and can sometimes drive up to speeds exceeding 50 mph. I can only attribute this type of bad driving to the significant hispanic population residing in this area. I have been in the middle of this crosswalk only to almost be hit by cars who should yield. Be careful walking around here. It is like running across the border.
2. Stone Valley Road crosswalk, Danville, Iron Horse Trail. Even though these people come from a higher standard of living than those inhabiting Concord, these drivers seldom stop to yield to pedestrians. Shocking, when you consider than that so many pedestrians are around this area, especially during weekends.
3. Treat Boulevard/Oak Grove intersection, Concord. Do not cross around here. period. The inconsiderate and unhygenic drivers (noted due to the proximity to Concord) will not yield for you, even if you have the walkway light and right of way.
4. Jones Road, Contra Costa Canal crosswalk, Walnut Creek. For those of you who remember the BART accident last summer, this is another dangerous/”deathzone” pathway. Any pedestrian who does not look both ways before crossing is asking to be hit.
5. Cherry Lane, Contra Costa Canal crosswalk, Walnut Creek. AKA the “silent” danger zone for pedestrians. Even though this street is not typically very busy, there are times when drivers fail to yield and will go right through this quiet off street. Even though there are plenty of signs alerting drivers to slow down and be aware of pedestrians before they arrive at the crosswalk.

I hope this helps fellow pedestrians with your travels.

19 @17 January 6, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Only reason why those “shyster” personal injury lawyers are needed is because of the scum surrounding Concord. You need to be able to sue stupid people.

20 @close calls January 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Did that rude driver who cursed at you for being a pedestrian happen to be….of the hispanic background??? Just a guess that he probably was.

I had the same type of incident happen to me over near Target in Pleasant Hill. (and that fool was definately hispanic!)

21 Captain Bebops January 6, 2014 at 4:47 PM

A week or so ago I stopped at a light waited for it to change. As it did and I started through the intersection I heard a girl scream and looked over to see this girl had been caught at the meridian and instead of waiting there was screaming at the cars to let her cross. She was probably still a bit drunk from the night before (there are many of those kind in that area). Good thing she didn’t try to run the rest of the way across because I wouldn’t have been able to see her due to the large SUV on my left obscuring the view of the crosswalk. I see this occasionally but most jay walkers do step up on the center meridian and wait for traffic to clear before continuing.

I also suspect errant pedestrians probably don’t read Claycord.com.

22 Connie Dobbs January 6, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I have the pleasure of living between Alhambra Ave and Berrellesa Street. In the mornings people late to work at the recorders office speed through the crosswalks while pedestrians are using them. In the evenings drivers only look to the north before flooring it and nearly mowing down people in the crosswalk who have approached it from the south. All of them have one thing in common: they’re a-holes.

23 Shasta Daisy January 6, 2014 at 5:32 PM

@wake up, drivers!!! #20…..I think you could have delivered your warnings about various crosswalk intersections without your personal description of the drivers.

24 Ted K., SuperMax January 6, 2014 at 5:47 PM

It’s a good idea to drive defensively but it is also a good idea to be a mindful and defensive pedestrian. Pedestrians put too much faith in drivers and wrongly assume at times that motorists will stop behind the crosswalk or look both ways before proceeding.

WHEN YOU ARE EITHER THE DRIVER OR PEDESTRIAN, MAKE EYE CONTACT !!! NEVER ASSUME !!!!

25 john January 6, 2014 at 6:28 PM

…how can I make eye contact when the windows of so many vehicles are tinted too dark to see the operator’s face?

26 Ted K., SuperMax January 7, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Gee whiz John. Do the best you can… And maybe try to stand at a different position on the corner so that you can have a line of sight to the driver.

Nonetheless, use caution.

27 Frankie January 15, 2014 at 1:14 PM

The incident happened at around 11:00AM on that day. Normally there is not a lot of traffic at that time of the day.

I have to assume it is both parties’ fault. The pedestrian could have paid more attention and walked across the crosswalk instead. The driver could have slowed down the car, especially since it ia a complicated intersection with bridge shadows at that time of the day and a big pillar in the middle of the street, potentially blocking part of the driver’s view …. However, the statistics shows that distracted driving (e.g., talking/texting on the cell, or even bending down to pick up something I caccidentally drop on the floor) has been the top cause for all car accidents in the U.S.

Any way, I believe that the driver is more to blame for this incident. If I were driving in that area, I would definitely slow down my car and be prepared for any unforseen surprises. No one should ever rightfully think that, “I am following the traffic rules, so – if I hit a pesdestrian, it’s their misfortune!”

I bet in many simialr cases accidents happen even when the pdestrians do follow the traffic rules.