School Nurse Performs CPR, Saves Child’s Life at Highlands Elementary School in Concord

January 6, 2014 14:01 pm · 32 comments

highlands

A quick thinking and properly trained school nurse saved a child’s life at Highlands Elementary in Concord on Monday morning.

At about 10am, a young student passed out and was not breathing, according to ConFire Dispatchers. The school’s nurse performed CPR on the student, who then started breathing again by the time paramedics and firefighters arrived on scene, ConFire said.

Training made a difference in the lives of our students today and we are grateful she was there”, Mt. Diablo Unified School District Superintendent Dr. Nellie Meyer said.

Although it hasn’t been confirmed, we’re hearing the child was talking when he/she was brought to the hospital by the ambulance.

The life-saving nurse says she was just doing her job, and asked that we keep her name private, so we’ll honor her request.

Thank you to the nurse for saving the child’s life, and making a difference in the World!

Claycordians, CPR is important, and you could save a person’s life in an instant, just like the nurse at Highlands Elementary School did today. If you need training for CPR, please click ON THIS LINK to sign-up for a course.

1 Sheila January 6, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Thank goodness for the nurse, and I hope the child is okay.

2 NoMoreFreeRide January 6, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Well done!!

3 To the wonderful Nurse, January 6, 2014 at 2:09 PM

A heartfelt Thank you!

Everyone should be up to date on some basic life saving skills.

4 Rangeroif January 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Thank God for people like that nurse. Great job!!!! Thoughts and prayers to the child and their family.

5 Judie Boyer January 6, 2014 at 2:13 PM

So grateful for this nurse. A huge Thank You

6 A Mama January 6, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Thank you Nurse!

7 Thank you... January 6, 2014 at 2:24 PM

And to think, many schools don’t have
Nurses anymore due to cost.
Right Person in the right place at the
right time! GREAT WORK.

8 Teacher January 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM

THANK YOU! You are a beautiful person!!!!

9 PH Dad January 6, 2014 at 2:42 PM

A great big Bravo Zulu to this nurse.
Every teacher should be CPR and First Aid trained. The small time and money commitment is worth it.
There should also be an AED in every school. (Automated Electronic Defibrillator)

10 CPR training January 6, 2014 at 2:43 PM

What if I’m not a “babysitter” and don’t need re-certification for my job but just want to be trained in case of an emergency? Are all classes for certification? Are free classes offered in the Claycord area? I’d suggest my kids and other family members also take the class.

11 VikingPrincess January 6, 2014 at 2:47 PM

Yay NURSE’S!!!!

12 Silva January 6, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I’m amazed to hear there was a “school nurse” on duty. I hope the child is going to be a okay!

13 Jess January 6, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Lucky the nurse was there. When I was growing up, elementary schools had full-time nurses. That’s not the case any more. Now they cover multiple schools and office staff looks after sick and injured students. I think a large part of the school nurses’s job is paperwork now – making sure kids have all their immunizations, arranging vision and scoliosis screenings, etc. I believe teachers do have to be certified in CPR, but I’d guess that a nurse would feel much more confident in administering it.

14 memo January 6, 2014 at 3:50 PM

For MDUSD schools, the nurse is there for one day a week. So, it is a good idea for everyone to re-certify on CPR whenever possible.

15 Julio January 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Memo and Jess: I was just going to say something about all the nurses being phased out in California schools. I know this type of life saving doesn’t happen every day but it does show us we need nurses or emergency trained people in the schools.

16 Silva January 6, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Gues it was THAT child’s lucky day!

17 right day January 6, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Thank goodness the nurse was on site today at that school! Sadly, the office secretary takes care of the children who come in not feeling well more often than a school nurse who has to rotate. Blessings to the nurse and her training and to the student!

18 ANNONeeemoose January 6, 2014 at 4:44 PM

SPORTS BASEMENT offers free classes for first aid and CPR! FREE people, nothing to do but call them and find out when. Make it a fun time with other friends. It does certify you, but it is an easy class to take and as we learned today could save someone’s life!

19 Shasta Daisy January 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Blessings to the nurse.

That reminds me, my certification expires in April.

20 Dr Joe January 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Can anyone say “Syncope”? Google it. Children don’t suddenly go into cardiac arrest requiring CPR but a sudden transient loss of cerebral perfusion (very low blood pressure) is fairly common. Initially most trained professionals can’t feel a pulse and it seems like an eternity to see them take a breath. Initial care for witnessed fainting should be to lay the person down on their back and raise their legs higher than their torso or turn them on their side and clear their mouth/throat if they vomit. Most will arouse within 30 seconds. CPR should always be started immediately if a child is found unresponsive and not breathing. Everyone should take a CPR class every 2 years!

21 EdiBirsan January 6, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Gold star to all concerned.

22 Atticus Thraxx January 6, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Good advice Dr. Joe. Is syncope was common in elementary aged children? I’ve never witnessed it.

23 Atticus Thraxx January 6, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Strike the “was”.

24 kimyy :) January 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Hope the kid is feeling much better and also I hope the nurse gets a raise most nurses make around $29.95 to $50 an hr hope she makes more than that and I’m really glad she was there to help the child!

25 ad January 6, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Bravo School Nurse!

Adult Ed also has CPR cert and recertification classes. You can also google CPR Classes and your zip code for local companies who offer CPR but it will cost.

Wonderful sports basement for offering classes at no cost.

26 Danielle January 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM

God bless this nurse for saving this child’s life.

Being married to an MD, I took CPR when we were raising our children. The thought of something happening to them when my husband wasn’t around was in the back of my mind.

Thank goodness schools still employ nurses.

27 Paramedic January 6, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Dr Joe, you are absolutely right! I have never seen a child after cardiac arrest who was talking….

28 Lara A January 6, 2014 at 9:52 PM

It is true, doing a paid job does not constitute being a hero. Was the child choking?
John Muir Doctors are not heros for saving lives, just Doctors doing what they are trained to do to save lives.
A nurse should be at every school, as they were in the 60’s…along with hot meals and showers. How did the new generation fail our children?????

29 jp January 6, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Thank you for the tip Annoneeemoose #21, I will definitely do that with a friend or two! Great to know.

30 LEXIE'S MOM January 7, 2014 at 8:33 AM

My niece works in the office of an elementary school in the Valley. She went into sudden cardiac arrest in the office and luckily her co-worker knew CPR and started it immediately while another called 911. Had it not been for CPR being started so quickly, she would have been dead by the time the paramedics arrived. Everyone should learn CPR, you just never know when you will need to use the knowledge.

31 RanchgirlCA January 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM

So glad there was a school Nurse on hand. Well done!!

32 L January 7, 2014 at 7:25 PM

My child attends Highlands and Nurse Windmiller is AMAZING… she is so loving and caring… Bravo to her and her quick response in this and ALL situations at Highlands. We are so lucky and fortunate to have her <3