Pleasant Hill: Nominees Sought for Annual Community Awards

January 4, 2014 18:10 pm · 51 comments

The 43rd Annual Community Awards will be held on Tuesday, February 18th at the new Community Center in Pleasant Hill and nominations are now being sought for six award categories. Anyone can nominate for the following awards:

Citizen of the Year– nominees must be at least a 5-year resident of Pleasant Hill and have made significant contributions toward improving our community

Business of the Year – candidates must be in business for at least three years in Pleasant Hill and current member of the Chamber of Commerce

Teacher of the Year – nominees must be a teacher in Pleasant Hill for at least five years

Teen of the Year – candidates must either live or go to school in Pleasant Hill and have a track record of volunteering in the community

Green Award – this award recognizes a business or organization which has shown leadership and a commitment to waste reduction, sustainability and conservation of our natural resources

Community Plus Award – nominees must be an employee of either the City, Recreation & Park District or the Chamber of Commerce, and gone above and beyond his or her job in volunteering or doing community service

If you wish to nominate someone, please download the nomination forms and instructions at www.pleasant-hill.net/awards.

Nominations for all awards must be submitted no later than January 27th to mnelis@ci.pleasant-hill.ca.us but please note that you need to provide supporting documentation for each award so give yourself adequate time to complete the nomination form.

Awards Ceremony

Community Awards Night tickets are now on sale through the Chamber of Commerce. The tickets are $45 per person (which includes dinner) and you may reserve a table of ten for $450. To purchase tickets or make reservations please contact Ann Luke at 687-0700 or email her at ann@pleasanthillchamber.com. Tickets may also be purchased at www.pleasant-hill.net/tickets. RSVP’s and all ticket sales must be confirmed by Monday, February 10th.

For more information or questions about the nominations or the event, please call Martin Nelis at (925) 671-5229 or email him at mnelis@ci.pleasant-hill.ca.us.

1 TinFoiler January 4, 2014 at 7:20 PM

What about: • Mayor of the Year

2 D January 4, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Illegal Mayor of the Year would have to go to Tim Flaherty who Harris, Carlson, and Flaherty unduly elected to the Office.

3 Dorothy Englund January 4, 2014 at 8:03 PM

D is me.

4 Dorothy Englund January 4, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Actually, the better title would probably be “Unduly Elected Mayor of the Year” since the election was illegal.

5 Loser January 4, 2014 at 8:24 PM

How about recipient of the highest city hall salary and benefits payoff? And biggest losers of the year?

6 Schmee January 5, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Fine u can nominate me.

7 bumper sticker January 5, 2014 at 8:34 AM

sourpuss of the year, Jack Weir.
Least liked by his colleagues this year, Jack Weir
Pwned politician of the year, Jack Weir

8 Just sayin January 5, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Blogger of the year: Just Sayin

9 PH Res January 5, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Dorothy Englund- Has any authority confirmed that it was illegal yet? Are you basing that comment on the “evidence” you provided in your complaint? The furtive glances of the council the day of the vote or the empty parking lot you wrote about?

10 Dorothy Englund January 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM

@PH Res
There is much more to it than “furtive glances,” and, I’ve come up with additional evidence since I filed the Complaint.

I hope you at least had an opportunity to review the Complaint before you posted your comment. Otherwise, you have no idea what you’re talking/blogging about.

Aside from that, everyone who sees the video agrees that Harris, Carlson, and Flaherty knew exactly what was going to happen. I showed the video to my 84-year old Uncle in Law from Idaho. He knows nothing about Pleasant Hill politics or our elected public officials. I asked him what he thought about the election in Pleasant Hill, and his immediate response was:

NOW THAT ELECTION WAS RIGGED!

My sentiments exactly.

I will forward the Complaint to the District Attorneys Office and possibly the Contra Costa County Grand Jury if need be. We can only hope that they will choose to do the right thing – investigate and depose Harris, Carlson, Flaherty and a couple of other witnesses I can think of.

I have advocated for open and transparent government for years, and I am pleased that Council members Durant and Weir recognize the problem and are trying to do something about it. Other Council members (especially Dr. Harris) would prefer to leave us in the “dark” ages.

I hope anyone interested in open and transparent government will attend tomorrow night’s Council meeting. Council member Durant has proposed eight steps “to further increase openness, transparency and accountability for the benefit of our residents.”

I can think of no better investment the City can make than an investment in “greater openness, transparency and accountability.” The culture is the problem and it’s set at the top – either by the City Manager or by Council members who prefer to conduct the peoples’ business in secret – outside of the public view.

Council member Durant’s first four steps will be discussed at tomorrow’s Council meeting – Monday, January 6, 2014 at 7:30 am.

11 Dorothy Englund January 5, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Correction – Monday, January 6, 2014 at 7:30 pm.

12 PH Res January 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Dorothy Englund- Not “everyone” who sees the video agrees with you. Your little posse might all agree, but you don’t represent the entire city,

Are the two other instances of hearsay you listed the additional “evidence” that bolsters your case? Yes, I did read your complaint and saw no evidence that a lawyer or judge would be able to take to court and argue with a straight face.

This quote was very entertaining: “One of Tim Flaherty’s neighbors viewed the video and said it was clear that it was planned and orchestrated. However. that resident indicated that Flaherty appeared uncomfortable with his role. The resident also said that it is clear that Harris has to go, but expressed concern that Harris would likely “throw Carlson under the bus.” That may very well be.”

Just because someone’s neighbor says something, why would that carry any weight? Seriously? Do you wonder what your neighbors might say about you and whether someone else would consider it as the gospel?

13 Dorothy Englund January 5, 2014 at 2:35 PM

@PH Res
I have shown the video to several Pleasant Hill residents (not limited to those who follow what is going on at City Hall).

I hope Harris, Carlson, and Flaherty have to testify under oath. I wish I could see each of them answer questions under polygraph, but that isn’t going to happen.

Frankly, the more citizens who view the video the better. If they are reasonable and objective, they will reach the same conclusion that I reached (and several others reached, including those who know nothing about politics in Pleasant Hill).

The court of public opinion is the one that matters most. The only issue is how to make sure every voter in Pleasant Hill has a chance to see this video before they vote in November 2014.

If you have read the complaint, you are likely a City employee or one of the accused Council members.

Would you care to identify yourself so you can appear a little more credible?….

I didn’t think so.

14 Alicia January 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM

@PH Res

You don’t represent the City. I bet most everyone who saw the video agrees that Flaherty, Harris, and Carlson must have met prior to the meeting to corridinate their effort to overthrow Jack.

15 Dorothy Englund January 5, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Alicia is correct. I was at City Hall Friday morning reviewing records. The City provided me twenty one (21) emails sent to Council about the election.

Only one of those emails commended Harris, Carlson, and Flaherty for “banding together” (in effect acknowledging they colluded) and the remaining twenty (20) adamantly opposed the actions by Harris, Carlson, and Flaherty.

I never met the nineteen (19) citizens who wrote in opposition of the “election” result. So much for PH Res baseless allegation that those who object are members of my “posse.”

PH Res should perform his/her own analysis. Go ahead and show that video to twenty residents and see how they react.

PH Res – It’s never too late to open your eyes and renounce public corruption. You too can join the right team!

16 Anon January 5, 2014 at 3:54 PM

It’s ironic that our fake Mayor, who hasn’t earned his Mayoral position, will be presenting these awards to people who actually EARNED their award.

17 PH Res January 5, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Dorothy Englund- I am not a city employee or one of the accused. I am not a relative or friend of anyone involved. I’m just a PH Res who casually follows PH politics. I am writing because you seem to think everyone thinks the way you do, and they don’t. I’m not saying others don’t agree with you, I am just saying that not everyone does.

Alicia- I don’t even know what to make of your statistics. “On December 16th, 7 out of 8 people ( 87.5%) expressed concern over the actions of these three councilmen. 87.5% is a pretty grim statistic for Flaherty, Harris, and Carlson. If I were to include all the written complaints received by the City via email, this statistic is closer to 99%.”

Your statistics are meaningless and kind of a joke. Where was the poll taken and by who? One out of one person on this thread thinks that you and Dorothy need to do more with your lives than obsess over this issue. That’s 100%, by the way.

Dorothy Englund and Alicia- People see what they want to see. You saw one thing during the meeting and I saw another. Without real evidence, I don’t know how a grand jury will force council members to testify. I prefer to let the grand jury investigate more important things than how one council member got his feelings hurt. In the end, isn’t that all it is? Brown Act violation or not?

If you have hard evidence of collusion, then bring it on. I’ll be right behind you with my complaint. Otherwise you are just delaying getting real work in the city done because your friend didn’t get to be Mayor.

By the way, Weir wanted to leave the PH City Council to be in the running for the County Clerk Recorder job. Do you think that might have had a negative impact on the rest of the council and their decision not choose him? That sounds like a legitimate reason to me, but I don’t follow all the ins and outs of city business.

18 Dorothy Englund January 5, 2014 at 4:27 PM

@PH Res
If you won’t identify yourself, no one (including me) can take anything you say seriously.

And no, I don’t think Jack Weir’s application for the County Clerk/Recorder position had anything to do with this. You obviously don’t know anything about Pleasant Hill politics if you believe that had anything to do with Harris, Carlson, and Flaherty colluding to deny Jack the position of Mayor.

19 Dorothy Englund January 5, 2014 at 4:29 PM

@PH Res
If you only casually follow PH politics, you wouldn’t have had access to my Complaint.

Would you care to explain how you obtained a copy of my Complaint?

20 PH Res January 5, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Lisa White posted it online on the CC Times website and it came up on my Google home page since I request all PH news.

No I won’t identify myself. I am not an unreasonable person as you can tell by my posts. Plus, you seem like a bully to me.

21 PH Res January 5, 2014 at 6:24 PM

Dorothy Englund- I’m not sure that the Mayor liked that I posted a link to the article in a post that has yet been put up, but FYI, Lisa White posted it online on the Times website and it came up on my Google home page since I request all PH news.You can probably find it by going to the CCT website and typing your name in the search box.

In that post, I also said that I wouldn’t identify myself. I am not sure why you think that no one will take my posts seriously just because I am not going to use my name. I don’t think what I have said is unreasonable. Plus, you come off a bit like a bully.

22 Rhymes with Lack January 5, 2014 at 8:48 PM

“Plus, you come off a bit like a bully.”

PH Res,

I couldn’t agree more.
One might also argue she is more of a bird dog than a watch dog. Must have attended the Wendy Lack school of civics. Do as I say, don’t do as I do. You can find a whole herd of them, including Jack, in the CCTPA (grumpy old mans club). In my day we called ‘em busy bodies.

Go figure.

23 Dorothy Englund January 5, 2014 at 9:26 PM

@#21 & #22
You two would have been the pantywaists who sat on the sidelines during the American Revolution – afraid to stand up for what is right. And, women never would have earned the right to vote or slaves the right to be free. You would have called the activists “busy bodies.”

It is so sad that some complain (always anonymously) when others do their civic duty. Especially those like PH Res who obviously doesn’t know anything about statistics if she/he thinks a sample of 1 (herself/himself) is relevant. In this case, it’s what a statistician would call an outlier (or an outright liar).

Public officials who violate the Brown Act and the State Constitution should be held accountable. If I can help hold them accountable, I am proud to do it.

If you disagree, by all means, participate in local government and make a difference. But again, if you will not reveal your identities, anything you do or say is meaningless.

24 PH Res January 5, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Dorothy Englund- Yet you are still engaging me.

I’ve said my piece. Posting anything more is like giving a dog a bone. Good luck in your endeavors. I don’t say this to be mean, but I really feel sorry for you.

25 Wendy Lack January 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Just saw the Contra Costa Times editorial on the PH Mayor fiasco:

In the editorial Councilmember Durant characterizes the actions of Harris/Flaherty/Carlson as “classless.” I couldn’t agree more with his assessment and the Times editorial.

Too bad Harris/Flaherty/Carlson have chosen to turn PH into a soap opera. Their actions erode the public trust and create dissension in the community.

Weir and Durant are a class act. The others — not so much.

26 Katy January 6, 2014 at 12:49 AM

The simple solution is to vote all of the offenders out when their terms expire.

27 Dorothy Englund January 6, 2014 at 7:50 AM

@Katy
The simple solution is probably the best solution. The other option is a recall. Some residents are looking into the logistics.

@Everyone
The City of Pittsburg is holding its reorganization meeting this evening. I wish I could attend and urge Pittsburg’s City Council not to shame their City like Harris, Carlson, and Flaherty shamed Pleasant Hill. But, I will have to email their Council instead as I will be attending Pleasant Hill’s Council meeting.

28 Dorothy Englund January 6, 2014 at 7:59 AM

@Wendy Lack-
Thanks for the link! It looks like Harris won’t be getting the Contra Costa Times endorsement this year. And, hopefully more people are paying attention this year now that he’s exposed himself for all to see.

29 Wendy Lack January 6, 2014 at 1:07 PM

30 B January 6, 2014 at 1:15 PM

I wonder if Dorothy’s civic duty would look the same if it were Michael Harris that got passed over for Mayor and not her friend Jack Weir.

31 Rhymes with Lack January 6, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Look what the cat dragged in. Surprise, Surprise, Surprise.

I wish more of the public was engaged, but not in the way that Ms. Lack and Ms. Englund perceive.

The public needs to be at least aware of the little self appointed cabal that exists in contra costa. Names like Lack, Weir, Borenstein, and a few unmentioned others often cross notes on how things should be according to their unique twist on things. The reality is that they are quick to condemn that which they do not comprehend. The contra costa times and the contra costa taxpayers group are the worst. Any wonder why they cross pollinate? Look at the roster of the membership and you will see all of the same usual suspects.

I find it hysterical that Ms. Lack used the times editorial as a back up for her submission. The e-board over there consists of two individuals you would not put in charge of watching your cat, often tries to opine on that which is miles above their pay grade and intellect.

As for the cries for an explanation of how the vote could have happened I think there are a few people that need to come to grips that the decision and deliberation of a vote is one that is protected by law. The ones that are demanding an explanations or those that think one is “owed” would be wise to comprehend the law that protects the individual deliberation-decision process.

Obviously some education needs to take place, for it appears on its face that Ms. Lack, and Ms. Eglund want a vote from the cheap seats. Sorry Wendy, but the council members are the ones elected to vote on the council-not you.

32 Ma'am or Sir January 6, 2014 at 3:46 PM

#32- There is something to what you are saying. As I read through all these posts, it occurred to me that the 20 or so people who have submitted complaints are probably from the same group. Like the taxpayers group or the tea party. One person sends out a call to arms and they all write in to complain about the same thing. I have gotten emails from a neighbor who is in the tea party asking to do just that. Nothing wrong with that but it’s just a small inbred group and not representative of the whole city.

Most citizens don’t even know what’s going on and I doubt they even give a damn whether Jack Weir became Mayor. They want police and fire protection, paved roads and better education for our kids. Not one person other than my tea party neighbor has mentioned this to me since it happened. I find Ms. England’s rants very entertaining. You would think PH was being invaded by Communists.

33 PH resident January 6, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Of course, #33, but are there really 20? I do think it is funny how ill-informed Dorothy Englund and those of her ilk are. She thinks the CCCGrand Jury deposes people, lol.

34 Dorothy Englund January 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

The lack of intelligent posts from 31 on down is very telling. I will compare credentials and work experience with any of you any day. But, of course, you are too afraid to give your names.

No name = no credibility

35 Dorothy Englund January 6, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Well, it looks like June Catalano and Michael Harris messed up again. No minutes in over a year:

Who’s in charge of our City?

36 Rhymes with Lack January 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM

You will occasionally see one of the little group on the grand jury too. They feel they are quasi patriots for the people, but fail to recognize they were never asked for their service nor do we want it from them. (Intelligent people do not bird dog or assume the worst in everyone).

Individuals like this are in desperate need of attention and also feel the need to impose their confusion on anyone that will listen. Just another example of busy bodies, trying to feel important. Ms. Lack has made a hobby out of posting her rhetoric. Too bad no one is reading it (aside from the same 20 in her little circle jerk).

“Just posted my latest article re the PH Mayor FUBAR on Halfway to Concord at: http://halfwaytoconcord.com/pleasant-hill-mayor-rotation/

37 Anon January 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Dorothy doesn’t answer questions she doesn’t like or she makes unfounded accusations and calls people names. When she’s wrong, she doesn’t acknowledge it.

She’s the smartest person in the room. Just ask her.

38 Anonymous January 6, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Dorothy, It is in spite of my credentials, that I don’t post my name. That would be really stupid. What is your excuse? When it comes to credentials….well little lady, you couldn’t carry my resume. Stick with your denial, it works for you!

39 Anon January 6, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Dorothy- How did Catalano and Harris get away with no minutes for a year with you as our city watch dog?

Or are you only the watch dog now that Jack didn’t get to be Mayor?

40 This guy January 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Dorothy, you sound like an angry red planet, just sayin…….

41 PH resident January 6, 2014 at 11:06 PM

To Anonymous #39, it is pretty obvious who you are.

42 PH resident January 6, 2014 at 11:08 PM

My apologies, Anonymous, I had you confused with another Anonymous.

43 PH Resident #42&43 January 7, 2014 at 9:25 AM

I guess you don’t see the irony of you posting anonymously too.

44 PH Resident #42&43 January 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM

I guess you don’t get the irony of you posting anonymously too.

45 Couldn't agree more with England and Lack January 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Good for you ladies and Borenstein; not giving in to the obvious posters here who scream out “CITY EMPLOYEES, BIG FAT PENSIONS, LEAVE US ALONE!” These anonymous POA posters are supportive of Carlson because of his influence on their paychecks and benefit packages. They’re against Weir because he works for the good of the taxpayer, period.

46 Dorothy Englund January 7, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Thanks #46
And sorry for the delay in responding. Last night’s Council meeting went very well. It’s a tough job trying to keep ‘em honest at City Hall, but somebody needs to step up to the plate and do it. I had to set the record straight on some of the comments Harris made at the December 16 meeting (which, he probably made in violation of the Brown Act). Never mind, the record is straight now. I hope a few of the Northgate Seniors in attendance live in Pleasant Hill so they know who to vote for (and against).

47 Rhymes with Lack January 8, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Wendy, Wendy Wendy. Thank you so very much for proving my point with your post (#30) and link to a desolate website where you and your “20 some odd” posse lurk & feed each other’s infatuations.

You managed to do three things.

1. You showed us all what a conspiracy theorist looks like (you), with your multiple “theories”. What was there Wendy, five? If you think conspiracy theorists are “other people”, think again. You are a text book case.

2. Expose Ken Hambrick (actually he exposes himself) as one of the flock. You folks simply can’t help yourselves can you?

3. And last but not least, you provided a porthole for many people to see for themselves who you are and who you associate with. Thanks for providing that missing link.

Don’t fear Wendy, word is spreading.

48 Dorothy Englund January 8, 2014 at 5:00 PM

@48
Word is spreading indeed about how Harris, Carlson, and Flaherty need to go.

49 mike mac January 8, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Most Incompetent Politician: City Clerk or the Three Stooges?

50 Anon January 8, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Dorothy- See my post #40. Can you explain how you as PH watchdog and Brown Act expert missed the fact that there were no minutes taken for a year?

See, that’s why not everyone supports what you say. You are only NOW interested in doing your civic duty because your friend’s feelings got hurt. You are narrowly focused on your own agenda. Many in the community have your number and although we may not go to city council meetings to speak during public comment, we do vote and a recall for this “offense” is a waste of time and resources.

You are not for the city of PH if you pursue that.

51 Dorothy Englund January 10, 2014 at 5:44 PM

@Anon
You have no idea what you’re talking about. I’ve been actively involved in city politics since 2009. I’ve regularly attended Planning Commission meetings, Architectural Review Commission meetings, and Council meetings. I’ve researched more use permits and development projects than I can remember and I’ve effected some great changes to the zoning ordinance and municipal code that help ensure the health, safety, and welfare of our neighborhoods.

If those who do not support what I say are like you, who have no idea about what is going on at City Hall, then they’ve all got some catching up to do.

Look before you post. Do your research and come back with something meaningful.