PICTURE: Bobcat in Concord’s Crystyl Ranch Neighborhood

January 3, 2014 · 30 comments

bobcat

This bobcat was spotted by our good friend “Shasta Daisy” in Concord’s Crystyl Ranch neighborhood.

Bobcats are pretty much harmless to humans (but watch your small children just in case). If you see a bobcat, it’ll probably run away from you, especially if you make a loud noise. Be sure to keep your small animals inside, or else your pet might be breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Thanks to Shasta Daisy for the picture!

1 Jimboy January 3, 2014 at 3:26 PM

“Bobcats are pretty much harmless to humans (but watch your small children just in case)”

This sensationalistic crap sucks.

Bobcats are harmless to humans, including small children.Google is your friend here.

2 jtkatec January 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM

No, I believe it’s the Claycord Cornsnake.

3 anon January 3, 2014 at 3:52 PM

I think thats bigfoot! Must’ve been visiting relatives over the holidays!

4 Frank January 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

This is exactly why I always carry my .44 magnum when I go for a hike! Thanks for the warning, Mayor. I think I’ll wait a few days before I hit the trails again.

5 Bob Brittain January 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM

It’s always a thrill to see a bobcat. They live all over Mt. Diablo and are also seen in Walnut Creek Open Space. An interesting thing bobcats have in common with domestics is that they seem to think if they don’t look at you, you won’t see them. I have seen and photographed several bobcats but I’m anxiously awaiting my first sighting of the Claycord Cornsnake.

6 #1 NRA fan and member January 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM

Consider it taken care of.

7 MrDuckyWucky January 3, 2014 at 4:36 PM

kick it in the face and it’ll never return. Guarenteed.

8 Silva January 3, 2014 at 4:37 PM

That’s a great picture of the extremely elusive bobcat! I’m a long time native of these parts and I’ve only ever seen one myself.

9 Cowellian January 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM

I got a lot of great pictures from Shasta’s hikes. It’s amazing what a good eye and a good camera will do for you.

10 Cowellian January 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Your cute little kitty cats might identify with their bigger brethren, but if they’re out with the big cats, they’re probably going to be dinner.

11 Leave them be January 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM

raccoons, Possum, Stray dogs, we have many dangerous animals around, my last concern is bob cats. Even Mountain Lions are not a concern, but for small children and pets, yes. But that is true with raccoons as well. They can get up to 30 pounds I think and pack a punch. 2 inch claws and long teeth. We saw two Mountain lions here over the last 5 years in Martinez. And a mile from Main Street here by the high school. And one I only heard, but it took down a deer in our back yard and it was a mess. Also coyotes. I have some on deer cams, and foxes, but no Mountain Lion on film, yet. btw the mountain Lion me and my wife saw must have been 200 pounds. Easy. A big one. If you ever do a story Mayor of wild animals in our area let me know, I have plenty on deer cams. coyotes and foxes etc..

12 Originial G January 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Just came across this, shows why it’s a good reason to keep pets indoors.

13 Elwood January 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Jimboy, you are a supercilious f*****g idiot.

If you don’t like it here go away. Perhaps you can find your intellectual peers on some other blog.

14 Amy January 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM

You are living in a neighborhood that used to be the coyote and bobcat’s home. What do you expect?

15 Atticus Thraxx January 3, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Wow! Nicely done Shasta Daisy.

I had to look up supercilious again. It’s not a compliment Jimboy.

16 where's the bob? January 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM

If that long skinny thing sticking out of the cat’s behind is a tail, then it probably is not a bobcat.

17 Antler January 3, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Shasta Daisy, aren’t they a BEAUTIFUL creature! And you’re a super to capture a nice shot of one…..looks to be a good healthy weight. I was sneaking a trail up in Siskiyou County one time and saw one up close enough to admire the tufted ears and amazing eyes before it assumed the partial-crouching walk you caught on film. It was so intent on getting away from me that it abandoned a partially-eaten woodrat. I assumed that its own eating noises masked my footsteps because a cat would have picked up even the flat-footed steps I was taking in moccasins. (Was trying to catch a glimpse of a doe and her two white fawns…..had seen them feeding at dawn that morning.)

Thanks for sharing. Was this bobcat sighting near a livestock pond or other water source?

18 Shasta Daisy January 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM

@Amy #14…I am not complaining about seeing bobcats or coyotes.
They were here first and I respect them. I stood back and let the bobcat go back down to the creek.

@Leave them be #11…Your statement about raccoons is true. As everyone must know by now, I star gaze almost every nite. On more than one occasion, a couple of raccoons have scared the heck out of me when they pounce on the fence. They just sit there and stare at me. They scare me more than a bobcat. I have a fear of them jumping on me.

@Cowellian # 10…My kitties never go outside. No worries, they won’t be anyone’s dinner.

19 Shasta Daisy January 3, 2014 at 7:35 PM

@Antler #18….It was near a creek.

@where’s the bob? #17….I’m pretty sure it was a bobcat. If you look closely, that really isn’t much of a tail. If it is not a bobcat, what do you think it is?

20 Ancient Mariner January 3, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Sweet shot, Shasta Daisy!

I’ve never seen a bobcat in the wild, but my neighbour had a screaming mountain lion on her roof a few years ago. The police didn’t believe me.

21 Gary Bogus January 3, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Yes, obviously it’s a Bobcat. Gad! some of you people can be so dumb.

22 Chevrolet girl January 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM

@Jimboy
“I realize that many topics are merely pandering to the all too common ignorant and thoroughly uneducated Claycrud trash but this one is over the top!”
Yet you read and commented on this topic. I am not ignorant or uneducated.
I am smart to know you are an idiot!

23 foxylady January 4, 2014 at 1:42 AM

Aren’t these animals suposed to be nocturnal? If it was out and about durring daylight hours something may have been wrong with its health. Just a thought..

24 JRConcord January 4, 2014 at 7:23 AM

Nice Kitty. I know its not going to happen but I shure wish i could have one as a pet.

25 old guy. January 4, 2014 at 8:52 AM

I think it is the mascot of the Crystal Ranch Mob.

26 Shasta Daisy January 4, 2014 at 9:17 AM

@foxlady #24…I have read that bobcats are nocturnal but I have seen him during the day several times in exactly the same area. I keep my distance and let him wander off on his own.

27 J. January 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM

It’s not a Bobcat, it’s LittleFoot.

28 Antler January 4, 2014 at 11:20 AM

My sighting in Siskiyou was at about 5p in the summer….very bright. They hunt whenever.

29 Antler January 4, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Thanks for mentioning the creek, Shasta Daisy.

30 LEave them Be January 5, 2014 at 4:32 AM

@Shasta Daisy
The world record for the largest raccoon was one named Bandit. Bandit died in 2004, he was 75 pounds. But was probably over weight. I had an issue with one outside that must have been 35 pounds once. I have seen them over 30 pounds here, and not fat, just big. Typically adult males range in weight from 20 to 30 pounds. But sometimes you get a big one. And the 30-35 pound one I saw was very aggressive. Be careful. They can be mean! And are all over our area, with long claws, sharp teeth and are highly intelligent animals.