Fifth Straight Spare the Air Alert Issued for Saturday

January 3, 2014 18:30 pm · 42 comments

A fifth straight Winter Spare the Air alert — the 27th since November — has been issued by the Bay Area Air Quality Management District for Saturday, banning wood burning in the region.

The alert was issued because of a forecast of unhealthy air quality in the Bay Area due to a persistent stagnant cold weather pattern that is trapping pollutants low to the ground, according to the air district.

On Winter Spare the Air days, wood burning is banned in the Bay Area both indoors and outdoors. Homes that rely on wood burning as their lone source of heat are exempt from the ban.

Wood smoke is the major cause of winter air pollution and is linked to illnesses such as asthma, bronchitis and lung disease, according to the air district.

The 27 alerts issued are the most since 2006-07, when 30 were issued during the Winter Spare the Air season from Nov. 1 to Feb. 28, air district officials said.

Those who violate the ban can take a wood smoke awareness class or pay a fine of $100. Subsequent violations lead to fines of $500 or higher.

The daily burn status can be found by visiting www.sparetheair.org or calling (877) 4NO-BURN.

1 burn baby January 3, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Still have a fire going. No bay area chimney cloggers at my front door. Its cold at night and I’m using a wood stove insert. Mr. Wister are you out there? Go ahead and call me a kindergarten name.

2 Bubbles January 3, 2014 at 7:09 PM

No Rain and No Wind = Bad air quality!

3 Bobfshed January 3, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Bad air quality = to much burning of petroleum products!

4 nono January 3, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I personally call total b.s. Per the “Air Quality Forecast” on the BAQMD website tthey reflect low numbers for everyone except Santa Clara. They forecast a 102 for them, just over the minimum to declare a spare the air day. They’ve done that multiple times this year, so their “new methodology” can allow them to ban wood fires more times. There is no accountability to determine if their forecast has any basis in reality, BAQMD is mostly a solution looking for a problem in our area. They were becoming irrelevant after only banning a few days per year, so they decided to change how they report the numbers. The leader of their group HATES wood fires and will permanently prevent them if he can figure out how to do so. A more moderate approach would be to encourage switching to EPA approved wood stoves, educate persons to use dry wood, provide incentives to switch to gas stoves, etc.

5 Vindex January 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM

My flag was flapping in the wind today. How is that stagnant air? This organization has lost all crediblity. Get rid of it!

6 Anonymous January 3, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Soon we should be hearing from policy of truth. He will provide a dummys guide to civics for us and instruct us not to hold politicians accountable for misconduct by the Air Board.

He will make great excuses for their lack of accountability.

Who cares? If they are not accountable, vote them out.

7 T January 3, 2014 at 8:06 PM

@#4….Right on target.

8 Burnin January 3, 2014 at 8:08 PM

@nono
I agree with your approach to education and the use of EPA certified stoves. Wood is a renewable source of energy and can be used cleanly. The only reason not to encourage this is that someone or some group has a hidden agenda.

9 Policy of Truth January 3, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Anon,

I’ll say it for you again and even S L O W E R this time. This is a STATE LAW. What part about STATE LAW do you not understand? You are entitled to have an opinion about the LAW but you don’t have a choice about it being a LAW. When the law was created by the STATE legislators it was decided that it was to be implemented (law carried out) by individual regions covering the ENTIRE STATE. So this has little to do with your local legislators specifically in the Bay Area.

*My guess is you probably still fail the comprehension part of this.

Now if you think I just wasted my time on you, then you are dumber than I thought. My post is intended for the majority of people here who don’t have your learning impediments.

Thank you for once again providing me with another opportunity to set the record straight.

See, you are not completely useless- But you are indeed a tool.

10 Anonymous January 3, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Policy of truth has her panties in a wad.

Calm down, little lady, most of us get it, its a law. The thing you so conveniently forget in your zeal is that interpretation of the law is done by what we call… people. You act as if questioning their judgement is near treason and questioning politicians is even worse!

You sure are dedicated to defending the politicians that dont respond to inquiries. Wonder why that is? Got a little axe to ungrind do we missy?

11 Frank C. January 3, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Yeah….but the legislators didn’t introduce or enact those laws. That was only by the BAAQMD bureaucrats..kinda like the EPA.

There’s a BIG difference! We didn’t elect those bureaucrats!

12 @ Policy of truth January 3, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I know you. You were the hall monitor in eighth grade. In high school you took names of people in study hall and turned them in to the principal.
You are an unctuous toady. One who will always cozy up to bureaucrats and offiicials and defend them to the end.

Frightened to death of those in power, you remind one of a North Korean diplomat.You will defend the “Dear Leaders” with all the vigor required to stay out of a concentration camp.

Why dont you go to North Korea if the dissidents here bother you so much?

13 Funny January 3, 2014 at 9:37 PM

I swear Claycord is made up mostly of Old, Rich, Republicans cause you all complain about the same stuff everyday and never listen to reason. In Concord I see the old and republican but the Rich?

14 The rat January 3, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Again pathetic fear mongers. Wood does not burn clean.

A light wind doesn’t mean the whole bay is moving well.

You people are pathetic.

15 Policy of Truth January 3, 2014 at 10:09 PM

@ 12,

Bill Gram Reefer, is that you?

Toady? Really? That was your best? You are a funny guy and a dimwit to the end.

Thanks for letting me live in your head, rent free.

16 Policy of Truth January 3, 2014 at 10:24 PM

@ Anonymous #10,

You wrote- “You sure are dedicated to defending politicians who don’t respond to inquires”

How convenient for you to forget that we just went through this, and it is YOU that “failed to respond to inquires”. Need a reminder or are you just a hypocrite? I wasn’t the only one that asked for proof of your “inquiry”. (Crickets chirping)

Follow the link, after all it is only one day old.

Thanks for giving me an opportunity to post it again.

“Call me curious, but may I ask when you sent your emails? Could it have been during this holiday break while the board is in recess or what many of us call holidays? Christmas/New Year break? I have it on reliable authority that both supervisors respond to all received email so It’s puzzling why you haven’t received a response. Perhaps if you were more specific about where and when you emailed each of them it could be verified. It’s not that I don’t believe you, but by being “anonymous” it’s hard to verify your story. You see, I have no problem calling either of them directly or dropping into one of their district offices. Those numbers are published and readily accessible. You should try it.”

You just make this too easy!

17 Anon January 3, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Listen sweety, this may be the onset of menopause you are going through. Medication will help.Starting to see some cracks in your facade.Better quit running to the computer , because these folks know how to play hardball and will slice and dice your arguments, which is pretty simple.

18 Policy of Truth January 3, 2014 at 11:11 PM

@ Anon,

Nice try. Keep pitching the softballs and I’ll keep knocking your lame assumptions over the fences.

What’s wrong, still can’t come up with the email you say you sent? Easier to deflect? On or off of your meds you should have been able to cut and paste, right? ….that is if it ever existed in the first place (clearly it didn’t).

If you were thinking of fabricating an email/letter now, you should consider that I can authenticate if one was ever sent, via a public records request. Ever think of that? Obviously not.

Cracks in your facade? You bet.

Try and keep up rookie.

19 Anon January 3, 2014 at 11:14 PM

I agree the “policy of blah blah” is a north Korean spy.He don’t realize we built a whole country by rebelling against unjust authority.Needs to go home and leave this country to Real Americans.

20 South Bay equals everyone! January 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM

So it turns out the predicted poor air quality is only going to happen in the South Bay (San Jose area) yet the BAAQMD policy dictates a blanket ban over the entire Bay Area since they don’t know how else to enforce a city block to block burn. Lame.

21 Policy of Truth January 3, 2014 at 11:48 PM

Anon,

Careful rookie, your anger Is letting your schizophrenia show through. First you referred to me as a male (post #6), then several times as a female (posts #10 & 17) and now you refer to me as a male (post #19). Clearly you have issues keeping even your tiny thoughts straight.

This country was built with leaders, not losers.

Rest up rookie, maybe you will fare better with some bed rest. ‘Cause right now you are just sucking wind.

22 Just sayin January 4, 2014 at 6:29 AM

Countdown: 56 days left

23 Anonymous January 4, 2014 at 7:49 AM

You really got to admire the policy guy. Lots of clever stuff. Lives in peoples head rent free. Spells slowly I’n big letters. Such a smart person. Stays up until midnight to defend himself. No life.

24 SpehlCzech January 4, 2014 at 9:10 AM

On a no burn day, a BAAQMD Approved flame war has broken out between Anon and Policy of Truth. (Bay Area Arguing Quacks Management District)

Just keep checking to see if the BAAQMD declares a Fair and Square Day.

These are issued when there is unhealthy argument quality in the Bay Area due to persistent personal attack rhetoric that is low in logic and originality, according to the district.

25 Burnin January 4, 2014 at 10:14 AM

The Saturday Forum in the West County Times today asked readers if they thought STAD were effective. One person out of eleven said yes.

26 Burnin January 4, 2014 at 10:22 AM

The entire question in the West County Times Forum today was “Do you think the Bay Area Winter Time Spare the Air Program is effective toward cutting air pollution in the Bay Area”
One person out of eleven said yes. You can look up the responses on the Internet. It was a resounding no it is not effective.

27 Burnin January 4, 2014 at 10:57 AM
28 Lets see January 4, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Lets see , Concord is forecast to have 10 mph winds. Banning burning makes perfect sense to me.

The war with Policy of truth is shaping up well. Looks like policy is loosing, especially after being unmasked as a North Korean apparatchik. May be old Jack Broadbent himself. You know Jack, head of the District, makes more then any state Governor, Chief Justice of the US Supreme Ct, or Vice President of the US.Kept in place by compliant Supervisors like Goia and Piepho.

Broadbent is probably smarter then Biden, I give him that.

29 Natural Gas Fumes January 4, 2014 at 11:39 AM

At least the media is starting to call it what it is! Pollution!!!!!! Pollution that comes from burning petroleum and petroleum products not wood!

30 Anonymous January 4, 2014 at 1:17 PM

Policy of truth is in constant attedance to the needs of County Supervisors Goia, Piepho and the Air District. Defends their every action. He is what we call a Lickspittle.

31 Polly Anna January 4, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Lovely,
Brisket or Ribs?
This whole Globull Scarem is a natural oocurance in the winter months that has always been with us. Yes, it is exacerbated by burning but so what. Show me where someone has dropped dead because of it.

32 Policy of Truth January 4, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Anon/Anonymous/Lets See/Etc.,

Watching you search around in the dark has proved to be quite entertaining… My attendance for elected whether they be Gioia, Piepho or the entire Air board was because that is exactly whom you are targeting with your rhetoric. Attack anyone unfairly (elected or otherwise) and I will be the first to shine light on your dim ignorance.

The real question is just how many screen names do you post under? Your infatuation is nothing more than desperation.

I like the use of WE to make yourself look bigger. Where did you learn that from, a scared cat?

You might want to learn how to spell “loser” in your efforts to further deceive yourself. Spelling it “looser” made my day. I mean, how much more low brow can you get? That was priceless!

You are what “I” call a useless idiot. Carry on with the demonstration-I’m sure I am not the only one getting a kick out of your pointless infantile rants.

p.s. You still haven’t produced the email you claimed that you sent? What’s wrong buddy boy, caught in a lie? I thought so….

Your credibility is ZERO. Nice work.

33 Bobfshed January 4, 2014 at 5:55 PM

My day tomorrow:
Seafood omelets for breakfast with mimosas
Smoked prime rib from the smoker for supper
Football
Cocktails
Wood fire in my EPA wood stove!
Football
Apple pie

34 Anonymous January 4, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Dear Policy,
You are still a lickspittle

35 Larry January 4, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I have asthma.I am also smart enough not to stick my head down my neighbors chimney if they feel the need to use their fireplaces.

36 Looks like January 4, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Policy of truth

Quit the field.

37 Rick January 4, 2014 at 8:02 PM

If Anonymous is the same Anonymous that was given a certain lady a really hard time over this same subject, ignore him.

He’s a bully.

38 Cowellian January 4, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I’m sure there’s only one Anonymous around here.

39 Anonymous January 4, 2014 at 9:18 PM

I think the anonymous you are referring to likes to pick on (or bully if you like ) buffoons.
No shortage of them here.

Anonymous

40 Original Anonymous January 4, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Some of the new Anonymouses give us old Anonymouses a bad name.

41 Connie Dobbs January 4, 2014 at 11:09 PM

‘Anonymous’ is a woman.

42 Anonymous January 5, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Lord Broadbent is allowing his subjects to burn tomorrow too.