Bobcat Spotted in Clayton’s Dana Hills Neighborhood

January 2, 2014 10:22 am · 23 comments

Alert! If you live in the area of Dana Hills in Clayton, you’re going to want to read this note.

My neighbor had a bobcat in their backyard last night trying to snack on a chicken. He heard the chickens squaking and came out face to face with it. We live on the greenbelt in from the mountain by a couple of blocks. Be aware, especially for those of us with small pets!

Thanks for the warning!

{ 23 comments }

1 Shasta Daisy January 2, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I often see a bobcat when I am walking along the trails next to the creek that runs through Crystyl Ranch.

Mayor, I think I have a photo if you want to post it. Took it with my iPhone and I was several feet away. I’ll send it to you.

2 The Mamba January 2, 2014 at 10:56 AM

In all my trips up on Mt. Diablo, I’ve only seen one bobcat. Very cool. Hopefully, everyone can find a way to coexist.

3 Anon January 2, 2014 at 11:21 AM

love that bobcat
love that bobcat

4 Silva January 2, 2014 at 11:29 AM

It’s a joy and a priveledge to live where you can see a bobcat or any other native wildlife. I don’t keep chickens anymore as I was never able to keep them safe from roving predator dogs, and my prts live indoors.

5 anon January 2, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Was it Bobcat Golthwait?

6 Connie Dobbs January 2, 2014 at 11:47 AM

My grandma had a Mercury Lynx…

7 Healthy one January 2, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Was that tom cat brother?

8 Dot Stripe January 2, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Oh no! our cat has been missing. If anyone in Dana Hills sees a tan and grey stripped cat. He is chipped with no collar. Any help is appreciated!

9 Another Anon January 2, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Seeing as its illegal to have chickens in Clayton on a piece of land that small (as are all homes in Dana Hills) the Bobcat was trying to do you (or your neighbor) a favor.

10 EdiBirsan January 2, 2014 at 1:06 PM

That’s not a Bob cat it is a Babs Cat.

11 anonanonagain January 2, 2014 at 1:07 PM

With this drought we are going to see more animals out and about searching for food and water. I don’t blame them. We have built up so close to the mountainous areas what do we expect? Be safe and give them space…..

12 Jody January 2, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Is it the greenbelt on Mt. Duncan? I walk my dog when it’s still dark in the mornings, and while I’m always watching out for wildlife, and I’m sure the bobcat will roam, there is a neighbor who has chickens in their backyard, and we walk right by their house…I’d just like to know!

13 T-Bruht January 2, 2014 at 2:46 PM

let the bobcats be, its the cougars hangin ’round the Clayton Club you really gotta watch out for.

14 whatever floats your boat January 2, 2014 at 2:49 PM

@Another Anon,
It’s not illegal to have chickens in Concord. You can have up to 4 hens, no roosters though.

15 Babs January 2, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Edi has obviously had too many flu meds.

16 yay for chickens January 2, 2014 at 3:50 PM

another anon: chickens aren’t illegal! only roosters. you can now celebrate by getting your self a little hen-house. :)

17 jlin January 2, 2014 at 4:15 PM

there is a house across the street from concord BART that has at least one rooster… i hear it/them every morning.

18 J. January 2, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Fowl are essentially illegal for many Claycord residents. The City codes require extensive setbacks from the fencelines to the henhouse. Many lots won’t meet the setback minimum. For instance, in Concord, if your backyard is fifty-feet wide, it’s too narrow for a hen house.

19 sam January 2, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Erecting a strong wire fence, just as, securely enclosed, at the top, with a concrete subfooting poured, underneath the fence line, to stop any ability for any animal, to be able to tunnel underneath this fence; this securely enclose fenced in area, will save the life of your pets; it is not the fault of our wildlife friends, that humans will continue to ever encroach on their remaining habitat; please consider the safety and welfare or our wildlife friends as much as you care for own and those you love, thank you.

20 sam January 2, 2014 at 4:58 PM

(cont.)… of course, please make this enclosed fencing area large enough, to give your pet(s) ample room to run and play.

21 Another Anon January 2, 2014 at 5:14 PM

@whatever floats your boat
I’m sure that Concord is cool with it.
But we are talking about Clayton. And in Clayton, the rules say you have to be able to have your chicken coop 50 feet away from your neighbors property. Those tiny lots in Dana Hills are not large enough to comply with the law.

22 J. January 2, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Q. My neighbor has a rooster. Isn’t that illegal in Concord?

A. Keep in mind Concord was once an agricultural community. It is not illegal to have a rooster at a private residence. In fact, you can have up to 12 fowl on one property, provided they are kept caged in an enclosure. The enclosure can’t be any closer than 25 feet from the property line, and the enclosure and the fowl must be maintained under sanitary conditions. If you have concerns over how your neighbor’s rooster or enclosure is being maintained, please call County Animal Control at (925) 335-8300 for assistance.

23 2014 January 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

What about all the cougars walking around clayton?